Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556491 times)

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5500 on: November 06, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
This is boring me now, I hope he does one in January . Kfc here he comes

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5501 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
Just a quick question, would you rather a striker who runs around all day and works his socks off but never looks like scoring, equalling 0 points OR someone who may not work as hard but have the naxk to be in the right place at the right time to score important goals equalling for example 9 points? I know which I prefer

So called top premier league striker who cannot head a ball  :o
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5502 on: November 07, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
I make a prediction. Saido will never be transferred to a team who are above us in the league at the time of the transfer. He is never going to be top notch because his attitude and application on a consistent basis are not anywhere near what is needed in a top striker, and for this reason he will not attract the top clubs. We will eventually regret not taking the silly Spuds offer.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5503 on: November 07, 2015, 05:22:33 PM »
I make a prediction. Saido will never be transferred to a team who are above us in the league at the time of the transfer. He is never going to be top notch because his attitude and application on a consistent basis are not anywhere near what is needed in a top striker, and for this reason he will not attract the top clubs. We will eventually regret not taking the silly Spuds offer.

At that time it wasn't silly money though was it ? It was a p8ss take when you consider what he achieved over the past two seasons and how the market for strikers, especially young English ones has gone.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5504 on: November 07, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »
whilst accepting Saido is a long way from the quality - and maturity - of the Ian Wright playing for Arsenal in that period i think you are comparing apples with oranges. ( a polite way of saying thats cobblers!)!
That Arsenal side is light years away from our current side and Wright was played right up top as an out and out goalscorer, doubting his ability in the final third flies in the face of all the evidence i have seen. Saido has not started a single game as the focal point of our attack. I for one think that he is a natural goalscorer and thats his best position. Whether thats the best place for him in our TEAM right now is another debate.

I agree with what you're saying, of course Arsenal were a better team and Wright was a better player. However my point was that if Saido is as good as he  and others seems to think he is , he should still score goals in a defensive team. Apparently he missed a sitter today so we might now have a striker who doesn't seem to work or score? He's got s lot to learn still ! His value seems to be going down with every game?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5505 on: November 07, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »
At that time it wasn't silly money though was it ? It was a p8ss take when you consider what he achieved over the past two seasons and how the market for strikers, especially young English ones has gone.
Personally I think it was silly money. We will never get a better offer imo. What he had achieved in the last 2 seasons was good but not outstanding on the football pitch, accompanied by petulance and poor behaviour off it. Hardly a glowing reference. I think he is just too much of a risk for any top club.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5506 on: November 07, 2015, 05:57:08 PM »
Personally I think it was silly money. We will never get a better offer imo. What he had achieved in the last 2 seasons was good but not outstanding on the football pitch, accompanied by petulance and poor behaviour off it. Hardly a glowing reference. I think he is just too much of a risk for any top club.

I disagree.  Spurs were a disgrace with the way they approached it, with such a small down payment which would have left us with no cash to buy a replacement.

It was an "offer" which the club had no alternative but to reject.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5507 on: November 07, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »
End of the day, he's easily still the best striker we have at the club.
He's the one that will regularly score goals - IF PLAYED UP FRONT - in a and around the box.
Poor attitude yes but until the likes of Rondon, Lambert and, hmm, Vic (!) start coming up with the goods and scoring regularly and hitting 15 ish a season then he's all we have really.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5508 on: November 07, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
I disagree.  Spurs were a disgrace with the way they approached it, with such a small down payment which would have left us with no cash to buy a replacement.

No, we don't disagree. I agree with everything you say but, poor though the proposed structure of the offer was, I don't think that we will ever get £20 million for him, let alone £25 million. Now you could argue that £15 million upfront would be better that Spurs's offer, with some justification, but I think that's about the maximum we will ever get.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5509 on: November 07, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
No, we don't disagree. I agree with everything you say but, poor though the proposed structure of the offer was, I don't think that we will ever get £20 million for him, let alone £25 million. Now you could argue that £15 million upfront would be better that Spurs's offer, with some justification, but I think that's about the maximum we will ever get.

I'd take £15m cash for sure. 

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5510 on: November 07, 2015, 08:34:57 PM »
Okay so he missed a sitter today but what striker doesn't miss a few every now and again.  I don't disagree with those who advocate we sell him in the summer, his contract situation will dictate that we do but like it or not he is still our biggest asset and we are entitled to a decent sum.   Lets not forget he is still only 22, is English and is more than capable of scoring 20 odd goals in a half decent side.  As for those wishing him away in January, what if Rondon was to get injured? That would leave us with Lambert and Vic to fill the void.. no thanks.
"This crack is really moreish."

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5511 on: November 07, 2015, 10:32:55 PM »
It was an awful miss but looking at the replay he simply over-ran it a touch and ended up trying to adjust his heading position at the moment the ball reached him....he seemed to be caught out by the curl on the ball on from Dawson.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5512 on: November 07, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
I actually think it shows how much better they are starting to operate together.

I think I saw some real connections happening today, and pity me because I had to sit in the Neanderthal man end....

I freaking hope I'm right there....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5513 on: November 08, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
It was an awful miss but looking at the replay he simply over-ran it a touch and ended up trying to adjust his heading position at the moment the ball reached him....he seemed to be caught out by the curl on the ball on from Dawson.

personally I thought he bottled it, mind he's only a young boy (hes 22  :o) and maybe he was afraid of hurting his head with that nasty hard ball.
Some of the view points on this board do make me smile.
Harry Kane is 22, Eric Dier is 21, Danny Ings is 23, Oxlaide Chamberlain is 22, all young men but light years ahead of Berahino is terms of developement, ability and attitude.
How long will his 'admirers' keep using 'he's only a young man' as an excuse for his below parr performance?
If spuds or anyone else offer the money that's being mentioned then providing Pulis is allowed to bring in a suitable replacement then we should snap their arms off.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5514 on: November 08, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
Yesterday's miss was pretty shocking but his heading ability has always been the weakest part of his game. In general his form has been poor this season, that said I really don't buy the fact that in November he is somehow still suffering physically from the games he missed in August.

Ultimately there will be a parting of the ways but I am afraid his stock is falling by the week, we will be lucky to get £15m for him in January and if his current form persists even less by the summer.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5515 on: November 08, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
Said he wouldn't play for peace again and looks like he's keeping his word. I'd play vic a head of him at the moment

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5516 on: November 08, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »

You honestly believe that? TV revenues on the up, profits on the up... We'd have had enough to make a good offer for someone. Instead we got stuck with a want away who has been very indifferent. Ultimately he has had one fantastic season. That is all.

Jeffers, Heskey, Ricketts...

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5517 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
I feel that his value to other clubs is going down.
Which is really a boost to our own squad.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5518 on: November 08, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
You honestly believe that? TV revenues on the up, profits on the up... We'd have had enough to make a good offer for someone. Instead we got stuck with a want away who has been very indifferent. Ultimately he has had one fantastic season. That is all.

Jeffers, Heskey, Ricketts...

Yes, I honestly believe that.  You overlook the fact that we had already bought several players.  Cash flow is important and it wasn't there.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5519 on: November 08, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
Okay so he missed a sitter today but what striker doesn't miss a few every now and again.  I don't disagree with those who advocate we sell him in the summer, his contract situation will dictate that we do but like it or not he is still our biggest asset and we are entitled to a decent sum.   Lets not forget he is still only 22, is English and is more than capable of scoring 20 odd goals in a half decent side.  As for those wishing him away in January, what if Rondon was to get injured? That would leave us with Lambert and Vic to fill the void.. no thanks.

I agree with this.

Saido is a bit of a knob but he is our best bet for scoring goals and unfortunately that makes him far too valuable to us.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5520 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:31 PM »
personally I thought he bottled it, mind he's only a young boy (hes 22  :o) and maybe he was afraid of hurting his head with that nasty hard ball.
Some of the view points on this board do make me smile.
Harry Kane is 22, Eric Dier is 21, Danny Ings is 23, Oxlaide Chamberlain is 22, all young men but light years ahead of Berahino is terms of developement, ability and attitude.
How long will his 'admirers' keep using 'he's only a young man' as an excuse for his below parr performance?
If spuds or anyone else offer the money that's being mentioned then providing Pulis is allowed to bring in a suitable replacement then we should snap their arms off.
Well you share the views of Shearer and Ian Wright who should know a bit about heading a ball but in my opinion are not great analysts of the game. Each to his own but for me he just overran it a shade and adjusted awkwardly at the last moment.....a better header of the ball would have timed it/adjusted that bit better. I guess this is why Rondon is always going to be preferred to Saido as the main focal point with his added height and better heading ability.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5521 on: November 08, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
Yes, I honestly believe that.  You overlook the fact that we had already bought several players.  Cash flow is important and it wasn't there.

I don't overlook it, I just believe we would have been able to make a reasonable down payment on someone if Beraihno went. You cannot categorically say the funds weren't there, likewise I can't say they were. But previous accounts suggest that we'd have enough.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5522 on: November 08, 2015, 07:45:44 PM »

I don't overlook it, I just believe we would have been able to make a reasonable down payment on someone if Beraihno went. You cannot categorically say the funds weren't there, likewise I can't say they were. But previous accounts suggest that we'd have enough.

I think it's pretty obvious the funds weren't there or we'd have accepted the low ball down payment and signed the other 3 players Pulis had lined up.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5523 on: November 08, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious the funds weren't there or we'd have accepted the low ball down payment and signed the other 3 players Pulis had lined up.

Who were, and at what cost? Potentially signing one player, ball park figure of £10m with a down payment of £5m, is completely different to signing 3.

We could have commanded Adebayor as part of the deal on a season long loan paying no fee and a fraction of his wages. We had outs.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5524 on: November 08, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »
Who were, and at what cost? Potentially signing one player, ball park figure of £10m with a down payment of £5m, is completely different to signing 3.

We could have commanded Adebayor as part of the deal on a season long loan paying no fee and a fraction of his wages. We had outs.

This isn't football manager mate, Adebayor is a player Albion wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I will clarify my point, Pulis thought he needed 3 players to account for the loss of Saido, everything was in place to sign these players hence Pulis remaining at the training ground all day. Then Peace rejected Spurs derisory offer and Pulis went home. It makes it pretty obvious that the funds were not in place for Pulis to do the business he felt we needed to do if we were to lose Saido Berahino.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.