Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556623 times)

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5200 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
Your logic is based on "In many jobs" and football is anything but a typical job, as seen by the potential pay-rise and holiday rather than getting the sack which would be a standard response for such behaviour.
By the same token, the reason why he doesn't get paid more is because he is in the footballing industry, which allows for unusual wages at the same time.

For instance, right now there will be a wonder-kid in the Dutch 3rd division or something on £1k p/w, who would be a top championship player - but he is on 10 X less than the average championship player. The main two reasons why he's underpaid would be due to A) A bad agent. B) His age.

I believe the reason Berahino is on £14k p/w is because he signed that deal at a young age and possibly bad negotiating with Peace.
In short, I agree with you; in terms of his performance last year, he should be on more money. However as pointed out, he is in an industry when talent doesn't always get paid most.

I thought the club binned his new contract offer when he got charged with drink driving.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5201 on: September 08, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Seems as though he is back in training and getting on with it according to BBC sport.

I just want this to be over with as soon as possible now. Let him play and hopefully score a few then he can move on in January for a good fee, then we can bring in a couple of players to make up for it.

But... I would like to hear some sort of apology from him before the game at the weekend.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5202 on: September 08, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
I thought the club binned his new contract offer when he got charged with drink driving.

He was due to sign an improved contract, but that got put on hold after his previous misdemeanour. ::)
Baggie in Southampton

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5203 on: September 08, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
In terms of contract he was on a youth contract which was paying £800 a week when he made his first team debut. This was quickly replaced with a £14k a week contract which is his current deal and as such he is likely to be the lowest paid member of the squad. However there has always been a question mark over his temperament and there is probably a view in the club that he needs careful management and they will try not to give him too much too soon so there is always a carrot of a better contract to be earned for good behavior.

This strategy seemed to be well founded given his tail off in form at the end of his first season and an attitude problem that lead to Morrison cuffing him round the ear. He started the following season well and there was a new and improved contract in the works as he progressed to the fringes of the full England squad. Obviously we then had the drink drive incident and an unauthorised interview which was pretty much a "come and get me" plea. The contract negotiations were quietly binned.

Having performed under Pulis I think the club would have been more than happy to give him a new deal but unfortunately the whole summer saga has derailed that. It is a mess we have a player who resents the way he has been treated but he has not earned the clubs trust because of his behavior. Getting Saido in a place where you would be comfortable committing to a long term big money contract that his talent deserves is something we may never do. The trouble is other people in football know this too hence the reluctance of Spurs to cough up a fee and the lack of interest from the top clubs.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5204 on: September 08, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
This guy has the two players as a loan only.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/07/report-west-brom-missed-out-on-fazio-and-townsend-pulis-left-fru/?

I've seen that a few times now. Only 1 Spurs player would have been allowed to join on loan. The other (I'm guessing Fazio) would have to be a permanent deal.

I would have jumped at that deal if I was Pulis. So I can see why he was left disappointed. Bringing in Townsend in the short term would mean the deal for Phillips wouldn't have been needed. That reported £5million up front could have gone to Marshall instead of getting Lindegaard on a free. Plus Pulis would have had the 2 center backs he had been chasing for weeks/months in Fazio and Evans.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5205 on: September 08, 2015, 10:17:09 AM »
I've seen that a few times now. Only 1 Spurs player would have been allowed to join on loan. The other (I'm guessing Fazio) would have to be a permanent deal.

I would have jumped at that deal if I was Pulis.
So I can see why he was left disappointed. Bringing in Townsend in the short term would mean the deal for Phillips wouldn't have been needed. That reported £5million up front could have gone to Marshall instead of getting Lindegaard on a free. Plus Pulis would have had the 2 center backs he had been chasing for weeks/months in Fazio and Evans.

All of our players have relegation clauses in their contracts which are then marked down wage wise should the much dreaded happen.

Fazio initially agreed to this relegation clause but threw a spanner in the works following his medical, and therefore became a none starter for us.

This was widely reported at the time of our initial interest.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5206 on: September 08, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/9983149/saido-berahino-must-respect-west-brom-says-james-morrison

Mozza Interviewed on Berahino. Im sure he can "guide" him with another right hook  ;D

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5207 on: September 08, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »
Mulumbu has just tweeted something about this.. Looks like there's a few in house problems

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5208 on: September 08, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
Yes he says,
they are all talking about respect, isn't that from both ends??

I Imagine he is saying punching someone isn't very respectful, not a lot of love for Mozza there methinks!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5209 on: September 08, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
I think there's a bit of bitterness coming our way. Saido should be showing this club a bit of respect, this club gave him the chance in the first place and has given him a few more since.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5210 on: September 08, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Yes he says,

I Imagine he is saying punching someone isn't very respectful, not a lot of love for Mozza there methinks!

Mulumbu may be a bit bitter at his own treatment by the club, let go when he had generally done well for the club, not altogether a surprise.
Baggie in Southampton

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5211 on: September 08, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
Mulumbu has just tweeted something about this.. Looks like there's a few in house problems
And followed up with a further tweet confirming that it is not West Brom related but an issue with his National team  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5212 on: September 08, 2015, 06:58:37 PM »
And followed up with a further tweet confirming that it is not West Brom related but an issue with his National team  ;)

Quite relieved at this news to, When I read it I just thought things are going to hit the fan this season as is the same with one team very year, Complete self destruction.

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5213 on: September 08, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5214 on: September 08, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5215 on: September 08, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
Two sides to every story ....
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/berahino-deserves-praise-criticism-actions-102601562.html

Only skimmed it, fact remains if Saido hadn't tweeted and kept his issues in house then all of this could have been avoided. He has no one to blame for the criticism other than himself, in saying he wouldn't play for Peace again of course he is disrespecting the club, teammates and us supporters.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5216 on: September 08, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
Yes he says,

Just checked twitter and it appears that Mulumbu retired from international football a few days ago so it makes sense that Mulumbu is speaking about the Congolise national football team. He has always had problems with him as they are so unprofessional.
Boing Boing

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5217 on: September 08, 2015, 11:19:32 PM »
It will all be OK in the morning! 8)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5218 on: September 09, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »
So according to Garlick, Saido was doing his own negotiations with RG and JP.....poor lad...any wonder he had a twitter rant at the end of it (not excusing it though).
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5219 on: September 09, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3220144/Saido-Berahino-blame-failed-West-Brom-Tottenham.html
According to the article, Aidy Ward had lined up bids from Man City and Newcastle, and would probably have got the deal across the line. Sounds like Stellar cocked it up, for whatever reason, by failing to engineer the situation to everyone's satisfaction.

No wonder Saido got frustrated when the move collapsed! He should have stayed with Ward. Now he's stuck with agents that are too close to Spurs, which may narrow his options. If Levy goes cold on dealing with Albion, then Saido is in a corner.

From said article:
"In his attempts to engineer a move, the striker took the decision to switch representation.

He left long-time agent Aidy Ward, who hit notoriety for his role in Raheem Sterling's £49million move to Manchester City this summer, to join the Stellar Group - a firm fronted by agents David Manasseh and Jonathan Barnett, who were at the centre of Gareth Bale's world-record transfer to Real Madrid.

The split with Ward was amicable but Berahino felt the change was necessary to facilitate his wish to leave the Hawthorns.

Indeed, Stellar are known to have close links with Tottenham, in particular Daniel Levy - seemingly paving the way for a move to north London".

Well, from what RG said during the Assembly interview it sounds like somebody is full of pooh somewhere along the line then.

Either he was represented or he wasn't.

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5220 on: September 09, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
From said article:
"In his attempts to engineer a move, the striker took the decision to switch representation.

He left long-time agent Aidy Ward, who hit notoriety for his role in Raheem Sterling's £49million move to Manchester City this summer, to join the Stellar Group - a firm fronted by agents David Manasseh and Jonathan Barnett, who were at the centre of Gareth Bale's world-record transfer to Real Madrid.

The split with Ward was amicable but Berahino felt the change was necessary to facilitate his wish to leave the Hawthorns.

Indeed, Stellar are known to have close links with Tottenham, in particular Daniel Levy - seemingly paving the way for a move to north London".

Well, from what RG said during the Assembly interview it sounds like somebody is full of pooh somewhere along the line then.

Either he was represented or he wasn't.

I'm not sure what Garlick or the club would have to gain by lying about Berahino representing himself???

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5221 on: September 09, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »
I suppose it would be perfectly possible to retain an agent to check details/legal issues etc on the understanding that you do the face to face stuff... with your mum???!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5222 on: September 09, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »
I'm not sure what Garlick or the club would have to gain by lying about Berahino representing himself???

I never said that RG was lying Ash, merely that somebody is at best being economical with the truth.
The reporter of the Daily Mail's linked article perhaps?

Either way it seems either pretty stupid or supremely arrogant of Saido to represent himself when negotiations will involve seasoned campaigners such as Peace and Levy.

Who knows, maybe Saido really is that arrogant and stupid.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5223 on: September 09, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
According to RG, there weren't any negotiations to negotiate. WBA told Spurs on 4 occasions "Saido's not for sale". WBA have got to agree to sell first.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5224 on: September 09, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
According to RG, there weren't any negotiations to negotiate. WBA told Spurs on 4 occasions "Saido's not for sale". WBA have got to agree to sell first.

I know that, which is why I posted "when negotiations will involve" for if negotiations actually began, as opposed to "when negotiations did involve"...