Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556477 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #2800 on: May 29, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
Named Players Player of the Year, well deserved in my opinion
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2802 on: May 29, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Quite bizarre he didn't win the supporters too, by far our most important player this past year I think. Had his ups and downs but he's undoubtedly a wonderful talent. You only had to look at our goal of the season video to see his overall quality. Hopefully a good tournament at the under 21's for him now.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2803 on: May 29, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
Fans are a fickle lot but this award from his team mates is a bit special.

Good on him  :)
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2804 on: May 29, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »
Everton could be added - reported to be looking for another striker, though I can't see them stretching to £20m so soon after the £28m for Lakaku.

Also Ings will be going to one of these as he's out of contract.

Straight swap for Lukaku...

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2805 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »
Straight swap for Lukaku...

I'm a big big fan of Lukaku & would love to see him back at our club but if it's a straight choice between him our Saido its Saido every time.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2806 on: May 30, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
I'm a big big fan of Lukaku & would love to see him back at our club but if it's a straight choice between him our Saido its Saido every time.

Ability wise I'd say Berahino should ultimately turn out the better of the two (whether he will or not depends on him and his choices), but for us and the way we play Lukaku would be a far more effective choice than Saido. I'd certainly take him in a straight swap, I doubt Everton would go for that given the perceived risk in signing Berahino.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2807 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
Quite bizarre he didn't win the supporters too, by far our most important player this past year I think. Had his ups and downs but he's undoubtedly a wonderful talent. You only had to look at our goal of the season video to see his overall quality. Hopefully a good tournament at the under 21's for him now.

I think its a tough one, supporters often focus on what is happening at that time and his goals had dried up after a lightening start to the season whereas Morrison who was average at best for the first couple of months of the season was outstanding towards the end so he ended up getting the votes. There are also those fans that wouldn't vote for him due to his few indiscretions away from pitch, not saying its right or wrong but there are some out there that would have kept that in mind.

In fairness Saido will possibly see this award voted by the other players as better than a fan voted system as it shows how important his colleagues think he has been and when he has had reported issues with a few of them its refreshing to see.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2808 on: June 01, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »
Everton and the Toon linked with him today
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2809 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »

That would be a sideways step IMO, we should be looking to be above both of those if we have true ambition
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2810 on: June 01, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

I'd be amazed and disappointed if he goes to a club like that.

Especially Newcastle. They're a total shambles 
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2811 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »
I'd be amazed and disappointed if he goes to a club like that.

Especially Newcastle. They're a total shambles

Don't care where he goes as long as we get more than £25 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2812 on: June 01, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
I'd be very disappointed if he chose (and we allowed him) to go to Southampton etc. The club have said they'd only sell him to a top four club and that seems reasonable.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2813 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
Just saying to a few friends last night , that he scored more than lukaku last year and benteke . Lukaku went for 28 million and villa reportedly want 32 million for benteke . So that's the going rate for a premier league striker .

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2814 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »
Just saying to a few friends last night , that he scored more than lukaku last year and benteke . Lukaku went for 28 million and villa reportedly want 32 million for benteke . So that's the going rate for a premier league striker .

I rate Berahino, I don't think he gets the credit he deserves at times and people seem to jump on his back quite quickly.... that said, I would swap him for Benteke or Lukaku.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2815 on: June 01, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
Don't care where he goes as long as we get more than £25 million.
we should be able to get at least six six foot five players with that kind of money.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2816 on: June 01, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »
we should be able to get at least six six foot five players with that kind of money.

Look forward to lots of set peices next season then

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2817 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
Firstly he doesn't need to be "linked with" many more Premier League Clubs before he has the complete set!!   

My guess is our best offer is on the table and his agent is casting around for potential better offers. I doubt a team outside the top six will be able to meet our likely fee and his wages. Although I was surprised Everton went to £28m for Lukkau last year.

Ultimately if he is not prepared to sign a new deal then his sale becomes highly likely but to get a price north of £20m then there has to be interest from one of the top 6. If Newcastle and Southampton were the only options and the money on offer was no more than £15m then I would be very tempted to tough it out but a disinterested and sulking Saido is not going to be much of an asset.

This is not an easy call.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2818 on: June 01, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »
I have a feeling he could end up at Villa as a replacement for Benteke.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2819 on: June 01, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
I have a feeling he could end up at Villa as a replacement for Benteke.

never in a million years

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2820 on: June 01, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »

never in a million years
I hope you are right, but am worried he might paint himself into a corner on the promise of a top 4 club and when that doesn't materialise his agent will hawk him out to anyone with a bit of cash.
Do you say never because we wouldn't sell to Villa or he wouldn't go to Villa?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2821 on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
I hope you are right, but am worried he might paint himself into a corner on the promise of a top 4 club and when that doesn't materialise his agent will hawk him out to anyone with a bit of cash.
Do you say never because we wouldn't sell to Villa or he wouldn't go to Villa?

If they offered our asking price then yes i am sure the club would accept but i doubt they match his ambition

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2822 on: June 01, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Players blather on about ambition because they think it is more palatable than to just coming out and saying  I want more money. In general the clubs that are competing for trophies pay the biggest wages so whilst a move is painted as being about footballing reasons it is also fairly well rewarded.

A move to another club outside the top 6 would suite Berahino financially. Firstly he might squeeze £60k a week out of them and bare in mind he would probably do well to get more than that anywhere given that he is currently earning £14k a week. Secondly provided he does not have to put in a transfer request to get the move he will get a hefty signing on fee as part of the deal. Thirdly unlike a move to the top 6 club he probably continues to get game time and in two years time if all goes well he will get another move and then get another signing on fee plus a £100k+ a week.

Almost regardless of what we offer him he (and his agent) will be better off moving. Making him put a formal transfer request is about the only card we have left to play once our best offer has been rejected.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2823 on: June 17, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
Now that Man City have bid a staggering £40m for Raheem Sterling, I can see Liverpool moving up the queue of clubs who are trying to entice Berahino away from The Hawthorns.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2824 on: June 17, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
Now that Man City have bid a staggering £40m for Raheem Sterling, I can see Liverpool moving up the queue of clubs who are trying to entice Berahino away from The Hawthorns.

After all the trouble the agent the two players share has caused Liverpool I'm not too certain they will want to line his pockets even more so quickly. Also Liverpool will hold out for more than that, they know City are desperate to get home grown players in.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:07:24 AM by B_H_Baggie »