Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556608 times)

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #2150 on: January 31, 2015, 02:37:46 AM »
There is no way anyone has a "free" role in a Pulis side. If he does sign it is purely down to the money on offer and the fact that no bids have materialised.

Hopefully he will continue to develop and be able to play off the target man rather than as a Centre Forward to date he has not really settled into that role but with time I am sure he will adjust.

you hit the nail on the head.

media beats up alot of supposed interest but reality is somewhat different
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2151 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »
good interview in the sun today with ian wright worth a read

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2152 on: January 31, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
http://www.thfclatest.com/2013/01/31/berahino-interview-on-his-past-future/

WEST BROM striker Saido Berahino has made headlines on both the front and back pages this season.

Here the 21-year-old tells Ian Wright about his fledgling England career, transfer talk, a drink-driving conviction and a certain lack of goal celebrations . . .

Q — SAIDO, everyone had a say when you didn’t celebrate your four goals against Gateshead. What was the story behind that?

A — WHEN I look back, I can see how people thought I was being disrespectful but I didn’t mean anything like that to Gateshead fans, West Brom fans, either club or anyone.

I didn’t celebrate because I was carrying an injury and shouldn’t have played.

The day before I’d had a chat with the doctor, went for a scan and it had shown something. But it was the gaffer’s first game, he wanted to put out a strong team and win the game, so I played.

I was a bit vexed because I knew I wasn’t right and my mind wasn’t really there. I celebrated when I scored the next week against Hull, just as I had the week before against West Ham.

It was only after the Gateshead game, when everyone was speaking about it, that I realised how it must have seemed. But it won’t be something I do again. I will be celebrating every goal I get.

Q — THERE was also the drink-driving case. What happened there?

A — PEOPLE think I’m a crazy guy, who’s gone straight into the Premier League and let everything go to his head.

Well I can tell them I’m anything but. Yes it’s gone great, scoring goals for West Brom, being named England Under-21s player of the year and getting into the full squad.

But I’m still the same guy, it’s not suddenly gone to my head.

I made a massive mistake with the drink-driving thing, and that’s something I’ll carry with me forever.

I was going to watch Liverpool against Real Madrid but couldn’t get a ticket.

Instead I went to a bar in Manchester to watch it with some friends. I was driving back and was only over the limit by one.

That’s not to excuse what I did but just to say it wasn’t like I was way, way over the top. But it was stupid, I was in the wrong and it’s not a mistake I’ll ever make again.

Q — HOW much of an influence is your mum, Lilian, and what was it like breaking the news of your drink-driving to her?

A — MY dad passed on when I was four, my sisters are a lot older — the youngest is 32 — and it has always been me and my mum.

That’s another reason I was so gutted with the drink-driving.

I was more scared about telling her than anything else because if I play to please anyone, it’s her.

She lives with me and for her I am probably out of line all the time!

But she is always there to tell me the good things too, although she doesn’t like coming to games, she tends to stay at home because she gets too nervous.

Q — SHE must have been more delighted than anyone when you got that England call then.

A — THERE was a lot of talk saying I might get in and it was announced on my day off.

I got a call in telling me I was in and then saw Roy Hodgson’s press conference.

It was an unbelievable moment. Mum was downstairs watching the conference on telly and couldn’t believe it either.

We just both sat there and had no words.

She was at Wembley and really gutted when I didn’t play. But it was still the best time ever, just to be training with people like Wayne Rooney.

It was unbelievable.

Q — THEN the picture came out of you looking glum on the England bench.

A — I WAS delighted to get called up in the first place, obviously. It is everyone’s dream to play at Wembley and the picture of me looking fed up just happened to catch me in that millisecond.

Of course I’d have loved to get on the pitch but hopefully that day will come soon.

Q — YET just two years ago you had a terrible injury. Tell us about that.

A — I WAS on loan at Peterborough and snapped my patella. I wasn’t even on the pitch, it was in the gym.

I was just squatting when it went but I didn’t really feel it, it just swelled up. Then they found a crack and had to remove half of it from one knee.

The doctor told me it would be hard to reach what I wanted to achieve after that. I was out for nine months but these days it’s actually stronger than the other one.

Q — NOW you find yourself being linked to the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool. How flattering is that?

A — OF course it’s really flattering but I won’t be getting carried away. First things first.

I want to carry on my development where I am. It’s not as though I can complain about anything is it? Proving myself every time I play is all that matters right now. I want to score as many as I can for West Brom and by doing that, the rest will look after itself.

If I am doing so well for West Brom to the point that I do leave in the future, I want to make sure I am ready for it.

I don’t want to go before then. But it’s not about money — if it was I’d have signed a new deal at West Brom a while ago, because they were offering me a lot more dough.

Q — YOU’VE got two years left on your contract but what’s the state of play on a new one?

A — WEST BROM offered me a new deal two months ago and people thought they pulled out of it when the drink-driving thing came up.

But it was me who didn’t sign — why rush it? I have two years left anyway, there’s no panic. I told the chairman I wanted to make sure I was back on track, I wanted to be scoring goals and I wanted to be doing well for West Brom.

Nothing more than that.

And I want the fans to know whenever I pull on the shirt, they will get nothing less than 100 per cent from me.

Q — WHAT’S your next target then?

A — IT’S the Euros next year and that is my next aim. I’d love to think I could be in the frame for that. I have been in the England squad and I want more goals in the Premier League so I get the chance again.

It’s not out of reach — a lot of youngsters have been in the team and I’d love to be one of them.

Q — TAKE us back to your first Premier League goal at Old Trafford last season. It must have been a special moment.

A — IT was but I can’t remember what happened afterwards. My mind went blank. I cut in from the left and ‘bam’, I hit it with my left and the crowd went silent.

I remember the one against them at home this season much better. I was one on one, took two touches and it was a goal. That did me so much good, the Premier League, a big game, high-profile opponents and scoring — that’s when people seemed to start taking more notice.

Q — DO you find yourself setting higher and higher standards these days then?

A — AT the start of the season I wanted double figures by January — well I did that but not all in the Premier League, which is what I was chasing.

But I am always hard on myself. You look at Ronaldo and Messi and they score three from three chances, so it is possible. That’s what I want to do be doing.

Q — SO do you always think you could have done better?

A — I’D say so. Look at the Everton game, which was so frustrating. I was feeling good and confident but only had one shot, gave the ball away too much, and wasn’t creative enough. That took me a good day or so to get over.

I get the games put on my hard drive and watch to see how and what I could have done better.

Like the Cup game against Birmingham, I played as the number ten and wanted to see my runs, was my first touch going backwards or forwards, that sort of stuff. It does help.

Q — SO I take it you’ll celebrate every goal from now on?

A — I WILL never not celebrate a goal again, even if only with a smile. I know how important they are.

They are the commodity of what I do — and I won’t be making the same mistake again.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2153 on: January 31, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »
Really good interview that is. Does seem to of realised that he's been a bit of a tool and that he needs to knuckle down and get scoring again.

Interesting to see that he stopped negotiations because he needed to get sorted. Hopefully talks will begin again now and we get him tied down to a long term deal.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2154 on: January 31, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »
Interesting interview I hope it lays a few things to rest. I am absolutely sure he is not with us for the long term even if he does sign a new deal if he does make the Euro squad he will be off that summer.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2155 on: January 31, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »
"I didn’t celebrate because I was carrying an injury and shouldn’t have played. The day before I’d had a chat with the doctor, went for a scan and it had shown something. But it was the gaffer’s first game, he wanted to put out a strong team and win the game, so I played. I was a bit vexed because I knew I wasn’t right and my mind wasn’t really there."

Can't believe this is being glossed over. Very irresponsible/short-termist/poor management from Pulis there.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2156 on: January 31, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
"I didn’t celebrate because I was carrying an injury and shouldn’t have played. The day before I’d had a chat with the doctor, went for a scan and it had shown something. But it was the gaffer’s first game, he wanted to put out a strong team and win the game, so I played. I was a bit vexed because I knew I wasn’t right and my mind wasn’t really there."

Can't believe this is being glossed over. Very irresponsible/short-termist/poor management from Pulis there.

Players play through injury every week. Only the weak minded use a little knock as an excuse not to play. Berahino lasted the whole 90 minutes so he couldn't be too hurt could he?

The same thing happened with Anichibe, in I think the 5th or 6th minute? He pulled up thinking he was injured. Pulis made him carry on and he ended up getting a goal and an assist.

The players mentality must have been a lot weaker under Irvine. Pulis won't stand for them acting like wimps.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2157 on: January 31, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »

He scored 4 goals (against weak opposition granted) and lasted the full 90 minutes, his injury couldn't have been that bad could it?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2158 on: January 31, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »

If true (& not just Saido romancing :-\ ) it's not shone a bright light on the management, I wouldn't be happy with these comments whether true or not if I were Pulis.
However, I hope he gets a bit vexed & his mind isn't really there today after scoring 4.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2159 on: January 31, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »

The day before I’d had a chat with the doctor, went for a scan and it had shown something. But it was the gaffer’s first game, he wanted to put out a strong team and win the game, so I played.

I was a bit vexed because I knew I wasn’t right and my mind wasn’t really there. I celebrated when I scored the next week against Hull, just as I had the week before against West Ham.

Doesn't criticise Pulis one bit there. As people are jumping to conclusions that he is claiming he was forced to play it could easily be claimed that he wanted to play with the new gaffer in charge and played knowing he was not right.

But that doesn't make headlines.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2160 on: January 31, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
I'm sorry but the doctors orders should always be prioritised, both for the good of the player and the good of the club. Clearly something had shown on a scan, and had it been aggravated during the match (luckily it wasn't), he could have ended up with a much more serious injury. That would've meant him out for key, potentially relegation-deciding Premier League matches, potentially months. This is coming from someone who thinks Berahino is a bit of a tosser and I've criticised him heavily in the past, yet on this score I don't blame him one bit. Very poor management, and I can only assume anyone who doesn't understand this must has very little understanding of human physiology.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2161 on: January 31, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »

Doesn't criticise Pulis one bit there. As people are jumping to conclusions that he is claiming he was forced to play it could easily be claimed that he wanted to play with the new gaffer in charge and played knowing he was not right.

Of course he's criticising the decision to play him! "I shouldn't have played...a scan had shown something...the gaffer wanted to play me... I was a bit vexed...". He was answering the question of why he refused to celebrate... this is why! You have to completely blind yourself to what he's saying to come to any other conclusion. The only possible comeback to this is to suggest he's lying and there was some other reason for not celebrating, but in terms of what he's saying here, this is unambiguously critical of the management's decision to play him against his and the doctor's wishes.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2162 on: January 31, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »

It does appear as though he didn't want to play following medical advice but was pressured into it one assumes by the management, seems fairly straight forward to me, no direct criticism of TP but theres definitely a finger being pointed.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2163 on: January 31, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
Doctors can get things wrong too.

The medical staff at Stoke said Demba Ba's knee was shot and he failed the medical with epic proportions. Since then he's gone on to score 68 goals for 4 different clubs (passing 4 other medicals in the process).

Olsson and Koschielny have admitted they played through their injuries for 12 months. It happens everywhere.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2164 on: January 31, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »
Just offering a different view as words can be twisted.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2165 on: January 31, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
Of course he's criticising the decision to play him! "I shouldn't have played...a scan had shown something...the gaffer wanted to play me... I was a bit vexed...". He was answering the question of why he refused to celebrate... this is why! You have to completely blind yourself to what he's saying to come to any other conclusion. The only possible comeback to this is to suggest he's lying and there was some other reason for not celebrating, but in terms of what he's saying here, this is unambiguously critical of the management's decision to play him against his and the doctor's wishes.

Not blind to anything thanks, just offering a different view as the headlines only work one way for the press.

Doesn't say the gaffer wanted to play him anywhere does it ? Just says it was his first game and he wanted to put out a strong team.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2166 on: January 31, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
Doctors can get things wrong too.

The medical staff at Stoke said Demba Ba's knee was shot and he failed the medical with epic proportions. Since then he's gone on to score 68 goals for 4 different clubs (passing 4 other medicals in the process).

Olsson and Koschielny have admitted they played through their injuries for 12 months. It happens everywhere.
Of course things don't always turn out as the probabilities suggest, but that doesn't mean you should always take the risk if the medical advice suggests you shouldn't, because most of the time, they get it right. The argument to play against medical advice simply because sometimes you get away with it lacks all logical, rational thought.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:40:49 PM by maccbaggie »

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2167 on: January 31, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Not blind to anything thanks, just offering a different view as the headlines only work one way for the press.

Doesn't say the gaffer wanted to play him anywhere does it ? Just says it was his first game and he wanted to put out a strong team.
I hate the press as much as anyone, and I also have no good reason for defending Berahino, because I think he's a nob, but theses are actual quotes which are presumably accurate. The quotes do suggest Pulis wanted to play him against his wishes, yes.

He says he "was carrying an injury and shouldn't have played". "The day before I’d had a chat with the doctor, went for a scan and it had shown something. But it was the gaffer’s first game, he wanted to put out a strong team and win the game, so I played." He then goes on to say he was "vexed" by that decision.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make this for you?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:41:58 PM by maccbaggie »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2168 on: January 31, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
Depends how you choose to read it. You have chosen to take it that Pulis forced him to play yet nowhere does it say that.

You are not making anything clear at all because that can be taken in any context you choose. I have no added any words to it to make it one way or another.

It could read that it was the gaffers first game, he wanted to put a strong team out so he felt he needed to make a good impression despite not feeling right. Doesn't say that either does it , just shows how it can be read differently.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2169 on: January 31, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
Depends how you choose to read it. You have chosen to take it that Pulis forced him to play yet nowhere does it say that.

You are not making anything clear at all because that can be taken in any context you choose. I have no added any words to it to make it one way or another.

It could read that it was the gaffers first game, he wanted to put a strong team out so he felt he needed to make a good impression despite not feeling right. Doesn't say that either does it , just shows how it can be read differently.
It really doesn't, the context is very clear and you don't even have to read between the lines to infer what he's "saying".

And no, it couldn't read like that because he goes on to say he was "vexed"... why would he be vexed by his own decision? And why would he not celebrate because of his own decision to play? He's answering the question of why he refused to celebrate... this is why. It's unambiguous.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2170 on: January 31, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »

I think you are quite right, perhaps naivety and / or an innocent statement can be taken out of context and legs added to it by the headline writers / seekers. We wait to see if there is a response from the club, if they think its worthwhile. Many players have pain killing injections before games every match day, its par for the course, no mention he had a pain killer so it couldn't have been that serious. He came through the game with no problem, so move on and must add to his mental strength.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2171 on: January 31, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
He could be vexed because he knew he made a mistake in playing knowing he was not right.

Nowhere does he claim he was forced to play. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, we don't know anything from those comments.

I have no idea if he was or not and I cannot see how anyone can make it out either from those comments yet the press claim he was forced and people are taking the press on that headline despite slating them at other times for their sensational headlines.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2172 on: January 31, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »
I think you are quite right, perhaps naivety and / or an innocent statement can be taken out of context and legs added to it by the headline writers / seekers. We wait to see if there is a response from the club, if they think its worthwhile. Many players have pain killing injections before games every match day, its par for the course, no mention he had a pain killer so it couldn't have been that serious. He came through the game with no problem, so move on and must add to his mental strength.
I'd also like to make it clear this isn't a massive deal- it's done with now and he got through the game without aggravating his injury. He seems to have got over it because he's celebrated in subsequent games, so I certainly don't expect any response from the club. My point is that this is poor management from Pulis- if the doctor says he shouldn't play, and the player agrees, the manager should not play him, especially for a cup tie against Gateshead.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2173 on: January 31, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
The problem with modern day footballers is that they want to be wrapped in cotton wool and want the day off if they are nursing even a slight injury. Bring back the old days when men were men!

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2174 on: January 31, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »
He could be vexed because he knew he made a mistake in playing knowing he was not right.

Nowhere does he claim he was forced to play. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, we don't know anything from those comments.

I have no idea if he was or not and I cannot see how anyone can make it out either from those comments yet the press claim he was forced and people are taking the press on that headline despite slating them at other times for their sensational headlines.
Massively unconvinced.

It's strongly inferred to put it at its absolute mildest- he couldn't possibly have said more without outright saying Pulis played him against his wishes.

Here's the quote again for everyone to read and make their own minds up:

"I didn’t celebrate because I was carrying an injury and shouldn’t have played.

I was a bit vexed because I knew I wasn’t right"