Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556477 times)

baggie_1

• Youth Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #1175 on: November 06, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »
Way too old but shall be getting his Name on back of the shirt.....only been waiting like 15 years to put an Albion player name on an England shirt....better late than never!
AND ITS 5 FOR THE BAGGIES...BOING BOING TAKE THAT

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1176 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
One for the statto's
when did WBAFC last have a 21 yr old getting a full england cap ?
I'd say never, Bryan Robson was 23 when he made his England debut, and I think he was our youngest.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1177 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Genuinely one of my proudest moments as an Albion fan. Delighted for Saido and also the club for the 10 or so years of development that have led to this. Attitude plays a hug part in making it to the top though, so Saido deserves all the praise he gets for this.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1178 on: November 06, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
All the questions regarding the academy have now been answered. Either playing for us or a sale, this one player alone has paid for the investment. Let's hope for more.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1179 on: November 07, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
Well done Saido , a great achievement and shows where hard work and knuckling down with talent will get you.
Good to see him heap praise on his Mother saying at times she has had to get him back on track.
A nod must be given to Irvine for encouraging him this season and IMO Steve Clarke for coming in when Saido's career was at a bit of a cross road after being sent home from Brentford , i know Clarke pushed for that loan spell at Peterborough and watched a lot of the games after including him in Pre season with us.
Academy parents  being charmed by other clubs take note!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1180 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »
No way will the club sell in January, no chance whatsoever.  In my opinion.

I agree. Sell Saido and in Jan we smell relegation
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1181 on: November 07, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
What club would suit him.Obviously when we do loose him what club would you like to see him go to.
Arsenal would be his ideal next step for me

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1182 on: November 07, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
What club would suit him.Obviously when we do loose him what club would you like to see him go to.
Arsenal would be his ideal next step for me

No, never sell to one of your rivals,  8)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1183 on: November 07, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
No, never sell to one of your rivals,  8)

ok Real Madrid then :)

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1184 on: November 07, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
When I look at it logically, Chelsea are not in the market for a stiker at the moment, Utd are decent up front, as are Man City and Arsenal have just bought Welbeck.

For me the only logical teams would be Liverpool (given that Balotelli hasn't really done much) and Spurs (who arn't that much better than us on current form at least).

For us to get the asking price we think we deserve (when compared to Andy Carol etc) then the club buying need to be pretty desperate. The only club I can say are close to desperate are Liverpool at the minute and they do have a history of overspending.

I still think JP will want to balance the books with Ideye so I won't be surprised to see Saido go in January (as I've said on another thread), but at the same time I do understand people's arugments about him learning from the past etc.

All the articles coming from the club at the minute seem to be about him putting his head down and making sure he stays focused. To me at least, it sounds as if some of the underlying issues from last year are perhaps not fully sorted and maybe if a decent offer comes in the club maybe tempted to sell.

Of course I am purely guessing and he may stay with us for years to come and in 30-40 years time he might have a statue outside next to bomber but from what i've read and how I have interpreted it, I will be very surprised if he is here this time next year.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1185 on: November 07, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

I still think JP will want to balance the books with Ideye so I won't be surprised to see Saido go in January (as I've said on another thread), but at the same time I do understand people's arugments about him learning from the past etc.

I believe this year, unlike other years (for example last year with the sale of Long), the need to 'balance the books' isn't as great for the simple reason we used the Sky bonus money to buy Ideye. I can't see us selling Saido this Januray tbh, it would take something truly astounding for us to do so as we don't need to sell (and no £25 million isn't astounding in today's market by any means).

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1186 on: November 07, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-saido-berahino-8070866

Talks about his ambitions of playing in Europe. Knew this statement was going to come out soon anyway. I think we can hang on to him until the summer anyway
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1187 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-saido-berahino-8070866

Talks about his ambitions of playing in Europe. Knew this statement was going to come out soon anyway. I think we can hang on to him until the summer anyway

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, if he gives us 20 goals this season he can disappear in the summer with our best wishes. If he proves himself he deserves every chance at the big-time. Sadly, he wont get that with us.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1188 on: November 07, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, if he gives us 20 goals this season he can disappear in the summer with our best wishes. If he proves himself he deserves every chance at the big-time. Sadly, he wont get that with us.

Never said there was  :D

Hardly bad news as the Mail are posting it as on Facebook to attract readers.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1189 on: November 07, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
It's a bit of a non story really. Obviously if he wants Champions League football he is not going to get it here so a move would be required!!

For me he still needs to do it for at least 2 seasons with us before stepping up to the next level!! If he goes to early he could stagnate at a top club.

If he goes too Spurs or Liverpool he will not get Champions League football though for me he needs to wait it out for a club like Arsenal who will be in the Champions League
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:18:08 PM by tommcneill »

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1190 on: November 07, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
Feet on the floor young man :)  , as pleased as i am for him you can't ignore the lack of English striker's around.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1191 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Saido is nowhere near ready YET for a top 4 team & play champion league football, top 4 clubs dont have the time to bring players on thats why they go for the finished player.
He needs to play week in week out to become more consistent if he moves now to a top 4 club it will slow his development down through lack of playing time.
If he stays here & keeps banging them in he will keep his place in the England team then maybe in 2 years time then top 4 clubs in England & all around Europe will come after him.
Play the long game Saido you know it makes sense.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1192 on: November 07, 2014, 06:12:03 PM »
Apparantly on SSN in a minute saying why he would need to leave WBA to fulfil his ambition. I understand he may leave but he has had 3 months of good form, is that enough to warrant this kind of thing ??
He's a lad from the Wrenna

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1193 on: November 07, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »
Apparantly on SSN in a minute saying why he would need to leave WBA to fulfil his ambition. I understand he may leave but he has had 3 months of good form, is that enough to warrant this kind of thing ??

If 3 months good form is enough to warrant an England call up then that's also enough to warrant talks of his future ambition.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1194 on: November 07, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »

I believe he is a United Fan so could be a childhood dream to play for them. Don't know why you would dream of playing for a mid  table team.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1195 on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
What we don't see is the question asked of him, which was no doubt a very leading one. He'd be lying to say he had no intentions of leaving and i wouldn't expect that of him.

On contract till July 17 and ours till then unless we decide otherwise. Only Man U and Champions League teams  :-* will get him i honestly think and he needs 12-18 months of performing to get them to pay up. Even if he eventually left on a free 30 months from now. the 3 seasons of Prem football his goals would no doubt equal is easily worth the cost is lost income (which we'd only have to spend on replacing him)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:03:46 PM by KnaveofAlbion »
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1196 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
What we don't see is the question asked of him, which was no doubt a very leading one. He'd be lying to say he had no intentions of leaving and i wouldn't expect that of him.

On contract till July 17 and ours till then unless we decide otherwise. Only Man U and Champions League teams  :-* will get him i honestly think and he needs 12-18 months of performing to get them to pay up. Even if he eventually left on a free 30 months from now. the 3 seasons of Prem football his goals would no doubt equal is easily worth the cost is lost income (which we'd only have to spend on replacing him)

IF he signs a new contract, I'm sure it will contain clauses allowing him to leave for Champions League football.
Baggie in Southampton

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1197 on: November 07, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »
IF he signs a new contract, I'm sure it will contain clauses allowing him to leave for Champions League football.

Agreed, with a fee in the region of £25-£35 Mill and utterly no hard feelings from me.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1198 on: November 07, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »
Delighted for Saido on the international call up, as a fan its great, i started going in 86-87 season when we had just been relegated so i missed our great sides and then had 16 odd years of mainly rubbish, and like probably a number of our fans on here when we had players like Micky Evans, Paul Williams, Brett Angell as our strikers if you had said one day we would have the current best young striker in England playing for us, developed by our academy and also been called up for the national team it just shows how far we have come.

I will watch England games with a lot more interest, very proud times for the player, the club and us fans.

As for his comments on Sky, just seen them and i would imagine that 99% of all footballers asked would say they want to play for top clubs, in champions league, in world cups, etc. Only Saido knows if he really means that he wants to just keep working hard and doing well for West Brom and see what happens, or if he is really already looking elsewhere, his form this season suggests the first option!

I said last season it was down to him, by all accounts he got a bit billy big balls and at that stage you either continue down that path, normally not make the most of your talent and become known as a bit of a tool (ie - Collymore) or you snap out of it and get your feet back on the ground, Saido looks like he has chose the right option so far and fair play to him, he has a natural talent for scoring goals and finishing and that cant be taught, he has worked on that along with his all round game and he looks a much better player, still a lot of work to be done but he is young and i think if he has this season and maybe next with us he should be ready to step up, its his first season of playing week in week out, worst thing he could do would be go a be a squad player at a Liverpool or Spurs, when he moves to a club like that he should be in a position to go as the main man.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1199 on: November 07, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »
I believe this year, unlike other years (for example last year with the sale of Long), the need to 'balance the books' isn't as great for the simple reason we used the Sky bonus money to buy Ideye. I can't see us selling Saido this Januray tbh, it would take something truly astounding for us to do so as we don't need to sell (and no £25 million isn't astounding in today's market by any means).
I think so and you can only sell him once. Peace must be fuming at selling long for lower than he was sold on for!! He will hold out for the absolute MAX he can in my humble. I would say £40 million if he scores for England at least in todays crazy market.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP