Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 760936 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3475 on: August 06, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »
Past it I'm afraid

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3476 on: August 06, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »
let's not knock the bloke in any way possible, he been a major part in what s been a good last decade. whilst other have sulked and wanted away this blokes stood by us and gave his all, age is catching up with him unfortunately but let's remember what he's won us not what he's lost us.wouldn't be a starter now with the central midfielders available but can still do a cameo role when needed. he's one of us and has been for a long time thanks Brunty.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3477 on: August 06, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »

Presume he means the red card as opposed to poor performances (of which there were very few). Ho he does anyway.

Then if that’s the case he was not the only one sent off at the end of last season....
MAGA!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3478 on: August 06, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
let's not knock the bloke in any way possible, he been a major part in what s been a good last decade. whilst other have sulked and wanted away this blokes stood by us and gave his all, age is catching up with him unfortunately but let's remember what he's won us not what he's lost us.wouldn't be a starter now with the central midfielders available but can still do a cameo role when needed. he's one of us and has been for a long time thanks Brunty.
Indeed that is a very good honest post mate!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3479 on: August 07, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Very fair post. I get really frustrated by Brunt showing up in the starting XI nowadays, not out of any dislike or disrespect for the player, but because time is catching up with him and after 12 years we should have moved on. The odd cameo sub appearance at LB or LM would be ok, but nothing more in my opinion. Great club servant and would love to see him transition into a coaching role teaching the youngsters how to strike a dead ball.

Not in the first ten though, and please not centre mid.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3480 on: August 07, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
Very fair post. I get really frustrated by Brunt showing up in the starting XI nowadays, not out of any dislike or disrespect for the player, but because time is catching up with him and after 12 years we should have moved on. The odd cameo sub appearance at LB or LM would be ok, but nothing more in my opinion. Great club servant and would love to see him transition into a coaching role teaching the youngsters how to strike a dead ball.

Not in the first ten though, and please not centre mid.

Yep, bang on. I could only see him moving to Sheffield Wednesday for a final season before he retires OR staying with us and moving into a coaching role.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3481 on: August 07, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Yes he is.  I can still remember listening to the radio ten years ago or thereabouts when he drilled a late equaliser against Cardiff (I think) to more or less secure promotion.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3482 on: August 07, 2019, 05:14:15 PM »
Yes he is.  I can still remember listening to the radio ten years ago or thereabouts when he drilled a late equaliser against Cardiff (I think) to more or less secure promotion.

I'm sure it was Southampton

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3483 on: August 07, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »
I'm sure it was Southampton

It was! What a game

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3484 on: August 07, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »
It was! What a game

I remember stood in the Smethwick with a right headache after that goal

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3485 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
12 years ago today, Chris Brunt, signed for West Bromwich from Sheffield Wednesday.

What a great servant he has and continues to be to the club. Well done Christ!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3486 on: August 15, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
12 years ago today, Chris Brunt, signed for West Bromwich from Sheffield Wednesday.

He ay that good............Jesus !!!!!!!!!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3487 on: August 15, 2019, 05:25:47 PM »
One of my all time favourite Albion players. Club legend. Not good enough for the starting 11 anymore but a great bloke from what we've seen/read over the years.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3488 on: August 15, 2019, 07:02:40 PM »

he wasn't bad so must have been god

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3489 on: August 15, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
Not really a Legend is he though? Not like fans will be looking back in 50 years and reminiscing about the times we yo-yo'd out of the Championship and failed to win any decent cups or anything whilst he was around. He hasn't even been universally liked by most/all fans. Not exactly Steven Gerrard pretty much single handedly winning your team the Champions League.

Feel free to call him a club legend if you like, but I can assure you that he is not.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3490 on: August 15, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »
Not really a Legend is he though? Not like fans will be looking back in 50 years and reminiscing about the times we yo-yo'd out of the Championship and failed to win any decent cups or anything whilst he was around. He hasn't even been universally liked by most/all fans. Not exactly Steven Gerrard pretty much single handedly winning your team the Champions League.

Feel free to call him a club legend if you like, but I can assure you that he is not.

So by your theory we haven’t had a legend since Astle? I think not

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3491 on: August 15, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
So by your theory we haven’t had a legend since Astle? I think not

Tony Brown ??

I'm in the category of not sure if Brunt is a legend as for me personally i'm harsh on who is or isn't a legend. Someone has to make a major impact for me to be classed alongside Astle, Brown, Billy Bassett etc but thats for another thread   NOT THIS ONE !! HINT HINT  ;)

With Brunt I have been critical but I have also been consistent with that criticism. My criticism stems from him in the centre of the pitch, always has been always will be, its a position that doesn't suit him and doesn't suit us, I have also been told its a role he doesn't enjoy but whether theres any truth in that no idea.

Out wide not a problem, at left back not a problem and despite that criticism i've always found him a model professional and an absolute gent to meet, someone who has always done his best and never shied away from anything so I do have admiration and a lot of respect for him.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3492 on: August 15, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
We could do with Jacko wading in at this stage to make a contribution !!
On a serious note, what a model professional. I could never understand the antipathy of some supporters towards him.  I'm proud to have Brunty a Baggie.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3493 on: August 16, 2019, 02:40:47 AM »

If it's the only time we manage a sustained run in the premier league he will be remembered as a recent great.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3494 on: August 16, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »

In the time he's been here, we've spent a considerable amount of time in the top division after a long spell in the wilderness, won the Championship title, reached an FA Cup semi-final, and he's been instrumental in a lot of that. He's played over 400 times, scored nearly 50 goals, and set up God knows how many, while also spending two spells as club captain.

If Steven Gerrard is your bar for legends, then do Albion have any? You need to be relative, and when you look at what some of our legends have actually achieved in their spells here, you'll see Brunt is comfortably among them.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3495 on: August 16, 2019, 04:17:01 PM »
It’s fair to say that since Jeff and Bomber legends are very thin on the ground I would only nominate Cyrille and maybe Superbob, I most certainly would not put CN in the same bracket. A very good servant but not a legend IMHO
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3496 on: August 16, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »
It’s fair to say that since Jeff and Bomber legends are very thin on the ground I would only nominate Cyrille and maybe Superbob, I most certainly would not put CN in the same bracket. A very good servant but not a legend IMHO

Why Super Bob and not Chris Brunt?
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3497 on: August 16, 2019, 05:03:29 PM »
Why Super Bob and not Chris Brunt?
Neither . Super Bob was supporters favourite not a legend (my opinion of course)
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3498 on: August 16, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Neither . Super Bob was supporters favourite not a legend (my opinion of course)

Agreed.

IMO The only legend this club has had in forty years is Gary Megson for basically giving the kiss of life to an almost dead club. His achievement is still not fully appreciated. I'm not one for celebs or revering others but when it comes to Lord Megson if I met him I think I'd be totally overcome in sheer admiration and to be honest, gratitude.

Without him, I don't even allow myself to think where we'd be now.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3499 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:22 PM »
The term 'Legend' is banded around far too easily IMO. Brunt is not a legend. He was a very good footballer (unfortunately past it now) and has served this club well. Similarly the term 'loyal' is too. Is Brunt loyal? I'd say no. The facts are he's played for a football club that has spent most of his time here in the top flight. He's played regularly with a good percentage as captain. Above all he's been exceptionally well paid for the privilege. I don't recall offers from bigger clubs for his services either. He's had is good here so there was never an incentive to move on. Fair play to him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club