Author Topic: 21 Aug 2019 Albion 1 Reading 1  (Read 36582 times)

graka

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:06 PM »
Johnstone poor.
Still shaky from set pieces but better.
Sawyers had his least effective game.
Livermore needs dropping, definitely for home games
Phillips was ok. Krovonovic not in the game enough.
Diangana ok.
Austin was poor but in fairness we needed another body closer to him
Looked better with 2 wide players and perreira playing for the striker.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
Unbeaten start. Did seem to lack a cutting edge tonight. Sawyers not quite as peerless as previous matches in first half but looked better second half. Zohore looked good.

But Pereira.

Wow

Pin point accuracy with his crosses. Great close control and awareness. Couple of lovely quick passes.

And he’s the one loan player we have a chance of keeping.

He needs to start.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Thought we could/should have had at least two or three more penalty's. The foul in the first 5 minutes and then the shove on Austin when he jumped for the ball, then the foul on Krov when he cut inside, but the ref gave nothing (I think he knew he got the first Krov foul wrong by his body language).

Still, it doesn't hide the fact we defended poorly for their opening goal (I don't know how the hell Johnstone was meant to save it...that is a bit ridiculous)

Anyway, at least we're still unbeaten and Zohore did well with the pressure etc. Regarding Perreira, yes his link up play was great with Krov but he was also a bit weak in other areas. Still lots to improve upon but at least we didn't lose.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
Some worrying trends going on with this team that needs putting right 23 - 24 shots 4 on target Saturday, tonight 19 shots 4 on target, defending for some of the goals this season has been piddle poor also the guy had the freedom of the Black Country to pick that shot out. There needs to be more cutting edge up top. Pereira looks a good player and linked up well with Krov. I think the international break will do this team well so they can learn each other’s games especially up top, thought Livermore had a superb game.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »
For me we struggle in the final third because the 2 DMs are miles away from the attackers and the 4 up top are also miles away from each other...lone striker, two wingers and an attacking mid so either your cross has to be spot on or your through ball does and if they have 4 defenders and 2 DMs we are completely outnumbered...we just dont link very well and it breaks down.
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:26 PM »
I feel more positive than some here! I thought Phillips and Krovinovic were superb, Pereira and Edwards looked great when they came on and Sawyers was much improved after the break. Still find Livermore frustrating. He'll bounce a five yard pass to somebody's knees.

Johnstone needs to actually dive more. Almost every goal this season he's rooted to the spot, happens way too often.

All in all, we're unbeaten and up there. Saturday will be a tough test.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Tatnam baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Before the slagging off brigade come on hear!! That was a good performance & very unlucky not to claim all 3 points. Reading we’re a much improved side & played really well. Better than previous Reading teams. Great link up play between Krovinovic& Pierrer. Unlikely baggies

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »
Worrying to see Fulham hammer Millwall tonight after we struggled against them.

Fulham's front 3 of Mitrovic, Knockaert and Cavaleiro is simply too good for this level, anybody finishing above them will go up, probably as champions.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
Some worrying trends going on with this team that needs putting right 23 - 24 shots 4 on target Saturday, tonight 19 shots 4 on target, defending for some of the goals this season has been piddle poor also the guy had the freedom of the Black Country to pick that shot out. There needs to be more cutting edge up top. Pereira looks a good player and linked up well with Krov. I think the international break will do this team well so they can learn each other’s games especially up top, thought Livermore had a superb game.

It's encouraging to be getting in so many shots though, if that becomes a trend for us then just a little improvement in shooting quality will see us start to net a lot more often.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »
Still a work in progress. Some players need the game time to get up to speed, it doesn’t come with half an hour here and there, and it takes time for a team to gel and get to understand each other’s movement. Not too unhappy with quite a lot of what I’ve seen tonight, except some defensive issues based on poor communication and lack of organisation. Don’t see that SJ was entirely to blame for the goal but might have made some sort of effort. The main issue for me is that he just has no presence in his area. We need better. Up front maybe just a bit more confidence and a bit more coolness. We had players tonight getting on the end of passes and making goal attempts but all a bit rushed and over eager. Give it time it should come together into something quite interesting

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:29 PM »
Have to say I was happy with Zohore's contribution today as well. He took a pressure penalty but from open play he did much better in holding it up and was very unfortunate not to score and would have if not for a great block. Hopefully he will start to develop now.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »
Johnstone needs to actually dive more. Almost every goal this season he's rooted to the spot, happens way too often.

I was always told that a keeper should pretty much always dive.  It gets them into the habit and even though it can be in vain a lot of the time there's times you'll make the save when you think you couldn't.  All too often Johnstone watches the ball hit the back if the net.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Could have gone either way, as both we and Reading fluffed decent chances. Some of our approach work was excellent, especially from Phillips and Furlong. Austin gets in good positions and I'm sure will score a fair few. He tries to find the ball rather than waiting for it to find him. Last 10 minutes good link up between Krov and Perreira though Perreira's shooting a bit wild. Dianga bright early on, but faded. Good that Zohora has the confidence to take pen. Again sloppy in defence for their goal. But Reading are a decent side and should finish top half.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2019, 11:22:18 PM »
Johnstone poor.
Diangana ok.

This constant bashing of Johnstone isn't even funny. He didn't put a foot wrong tonight really yet he still gets rated poor.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:40 PM »
This constant bashing of Johnstone isn't even funny. He didn't put a foot wrong tonight really yet he still gets rated poor.

Same with Livermore, he's had a good start to the season yet constant criticism.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »
Same with Livermore, he's had a good start to the season yet constant criticism.

The criticism is largely well placed. Both Johnson and Livermore aren’t good enough. Johnson has next to nothing to do tonight and couldn’t keep a clean sheet. Livermore doesn’t create anything or offer any protection to the back four. Just look at him watching and not closing down for the reading goal tonight. No point him really playing. Just another over paid Pulis signing that we’re stuck with.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
I thought the game mirrored the other home games this season, very pretty at times but lacking in the final third. That said it would've been really harsh on us had we lost that game. I thought we should've had more than one penalty, ref was really poor.

I'd still like to see us go 4-3-3 instead of playing in front of teams. The lone striker is going to find it very difficult with packed defences at home.

We started well, ended well and some of the stuff in the middle was OK although also a bit sloppy at times particularly Sawyers and Diangana who I thought was poor tonight.

Pereira looked good when he came on except his shooting was awful, Zohore looked a handful too, I maintain there's a player in him .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:55:09 PM by Atomic »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »
Good point from the position we were in but need to be more clinical in front of goal. Ref had a mare tonight as we should of had penalty in first few minutes but hey that's the standard of ref's in Championship league. Attacking wise I thought player's had one touch too many and some tried to beat player after player which Slaven will cut out. My only concern is how easily Reading got at our back four from middle of park.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:02 AM »
Austin and Zohore both still to get into their groove, give it a few games lads and we will start demolishing teams. This squad we have is frightening. Hopefully we go in for another striker in January hopefully in the shape of Gayle or similar. He would thrive in this team.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2019, 03:08:07 AM »
Austin and Zohore both still to get into their groove, give it a few games lads and we will start demolishing teams. This squad we have is frightening. Hopefully we go in for another striker in January hopefully in the shape of Gayle or similar. He would thrive in this team.
Plus hopefully Hegazi after the international break might see us put a corner straight in

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »
The criticism is largely well placed. Both Johnson and Livermore aren’t good enough. Johnson has next to nothing to do tonight and couldn’t keep a clean sheet. Livermore doesn’t create anything or offer any protection to the back four. Just look at him watching and not closing down for the reading goal tonight. No point him really playing. Just another over paid Pulis signing that we’re stuck with.

I think you are doing the quality of the shot a disservice here. No goalkeeper would have stopped that as the reaction time was just not there. Sam did nothing wrong last night.

Are you seriously saying that goal was his fault??
MAGA!

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Ejaria had so much space and time for the goal, poor defending again.
Perreira played lively and Zohore looked better than last few games.
The PRIDE of midlands

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
Again, I saw promising signs last night from a team bedding in a number of new players and a system that is new to the players, particularly the players still remaining from last season where we had no discernible system.

Pereira looks like he will be a very handy addition, the interplay between him and Krov was sublime and a couple of the through balls he made, including the one for the penalty, were fairly outrageous, the vision was sensational. I don't think it will be long before we see him in the #10 position and Krov dropping in alongside Sawyers as Livermore continues to offer very little going forward comparitive to the rest of the midfield.

Austin didn't look fit to me and I was impressed by Zohore when he came on. With any luck the goal will have done him the power of good and we will start the see the striker we felt worth splashing £8m on.

I thought Reading looked very good and it was a good football match on the whole. The goalscorer for them was seriously impressive all night and looks like he will be a steal when they sign him permanently for around £3m.

Big shout out to Furlong also who had a very good debut. I said earlier in the week that he will give us far more going forward than Ferguson and so it proved, his delivery was spot on and it is clear he is more of a natural right back in the modern age of full backs whereas Ferguson is more of a defender. I think it will be a case of using Ferguson primarily away from home where we need to keep it tight and unleashing Furlong at home to get us up the pitch.

Unbeaten and promising signs once all starts to click as far as I am concerned.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
Johnstone poor.
Diangana ok.

Can you expand on your comments on Johnstone and Livermore for me please.

Would love to know what Johnstone did that was poor last night. The blame for their goal lies on the outfield players not even attempting to close down the Reading player.

Livermore yesterday put in one of his better performances I thought and has had a solid start to the season.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2019, 09:00:11 AM »
I must be going mad in my old age, the point felt like a win in the end, beat the team i hate most Derby and i will be well chuffed
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties