Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 446461 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1200 on: April 30, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
Reading between the lines the writings on the wall for James to move on

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2016/04/30/james-morrisons-future-to-be-decided-at-end-of-season-meeting/?

I fear what will be bought in to replace him
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1201 on: April 30, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »
Suspect he's had a good offer elsewhere and wants us to match it , most likely Boro.
Good player but we can't be held to ransom for someone who does pick up injuries and vanish from games at times , same for Sess imo. I'd like to keep both but not for huge amounts of money.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1202 on: April 30, 2016, 08:39:51 AM »
I am sure Morrison has other offers on the table but they may well be dependent on the Promotion/Relegation issues being resolved, so I suspect he won't sign until the end of the season. Morrison will be 30 at the end of May and plays in a position which doesn't have a lot of players playing into their 30's at the top level and those that do are the exception rather than the rule.

I don't think we should keep him unless he will be first choice attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, he is not a good squad player because he really only has one position in one formation.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1203 on: April 30, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
Whether we want him to stay or not, the fact that we have allowed the contracts of two saleable assets, in him and Sess, to run down is criminal.
Unspoilt By Progress

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: April 30, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Players come and players go, as long as they are replaced by better ones it won't really matter. I remember fans, including myself, being up in arms about losing Dorrans, Mulumbu etc.

Morrison is a very good player and has been missed this season, but, we have had 9 years off him, he's becoming inconsistent and injuries may catch up on him so if he wants a nice free transfer and pay day it's his choice. Albion should not pay over the odds just to keep players who may just want a change.

As for Sessegnon, a very good but very inconsistent player. I think in these last few, mindlessly boring seasons we are a little rose tinted in Sess. He is the one player who has the ability to beat players and do something for us to shout about, but, it would be interesting to see how many assists he actually has, runs down a few too many dark alleys for me to be honest.

I would like to keep both, but it's not really a disaster if they go.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1205 on: April 30, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »
Whether we want him to stay or not, the fact that we have allowed the contracts of two saleable assets, in him and Sess, to run down is criminal.

Unfortunately you can't tie them to a chair in a dark room until they agree to sign a new deal, players hold all of the cards.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1206 on: April 30, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »

Not really.  If we had tied them down already then we'd potentially be stuck with them even if we wanted to offload them, just like we were/are with Anichebe, Gamboa, Pocognoli and now Lambert, waiting for somebody to take them off our hands.  At least this way a certain number of players are bound to find the exit door and fresh blood can be brought in with the wages off the payroll.

Only issue is that they are our two most creative players so they absolutely must be replaced properly.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1207 on: April 30, 2016, 10:43:25 AM »
For us to have secured either Morrison or Sess we would have to offered improved terms last summer. In Morrison's case I honestly believe the player has been keeping his options open and it would have taken a huge offer to persuade him otherwise. There comes a point where he simply isn't worth the money particularly as the contract will run into back end of his career.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1208 on: April 30, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
Unfortunately you can't tie them to a chair in a dark room until they agree to sign a new deal, players hold all of the cards.

Indeed. And as Standaman has said it would of potentially taken improved contracts to get their signatures I guess, which we are possibly not willing to offer.

Hope we get to give Morrison a send off before the end of the season in case he does go.

Going to be an interesting Summer that's for sure
Unspoilt By Progress

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1209 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
I've forgotten who it was (but Bednar springs to mind) but didn't we fairly recently extend a contract which was clearly only to maintain a saleable asset only to pay an extra years wages for a player who didn't feature and then was released anyway?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1210 on: April 30, 2016, 01:25:41 PM »
Stuck with Pulis and it looks like Morrison might leave.

Shaping up to be the crappest year going.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1211 on: April 30, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
Stuck with Pulis and it looks like Morrison might leave.

Shaping up to be the crappest year going.

You cannot force a player to sign a deal, coming up to what will probably be his last big contract its understandable he will be keeping options open, also probably hoping Boro come back up, he still has a house up there, goes back regularly to see friends etc etc
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1212 on: April 30, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
Couldn't imagine anyone other than the promoted teams wanting him.

We desperately lack creativity, and with him being our longest serving player, I hope he stays.

Not the end of the world if he departs however.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1213 on: April 30, 2016, 02:49:19 PM »
Morrison is Albion,  he's one of the few who cares.

Get rid of him,  or allow him to go and TP has single handedly put a nail in the Albion for me when you look at this season as a whole.

Who could replace him,  who can TP buy that is as good as him?  What player will come in and love the Albion as much as him?

EDIT: Better player than Fletcher and Gardner and McClean. If we keep Gardner but let him go, i f***ing despair.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:22:50 PM by Jimmy »

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1214 on: April 30, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
Morrison is Albion,  he's one of the few who cares.

Get rid of him,  or allow him to go and TP has single handedly put a nail in the Albion for me when you look at this season as a whole.

Who could replace him,  who can TP buy that is as good as him?  What player will come in and love the Albion as much as him?

EDIT: Better player than Fletcher and Gardner and McClean. If we keep Gardner but let him go, i f***ing despair.

There are hundreds of better players out there. It's up to the club to find them and then convince them to come. We need to evolve by bringing in better. Sadly Pulis will probably replace him with another Gardner.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: April 30, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
Begging for him today. We have nothing in the centre of the park.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1216 on: April 30, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »
There are hundreds of better players out there. It's up to the club to find them and then convince them to come. We need to evolve by bringing in better. Sadly Pulis will probably replace him with another Gardner.

Entirely the point i made.

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1217 on: April 30, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »
That's the danger with pulis he more than likely to replace Morrison with a Gardner type and and replace sess with another McClean

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: April 30, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »

Pulis inherited Gardner and played Morrison when fit. Strange logic.

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1219 on: April 30, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »
Pulis inherited Gardner and played Morrison when fit. Strange logic.
strange logic....you mean like playing centre-back's as fullback's and playing your best defender as a leftback

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1220 on: May 01, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
Pulislogic, even worse than Pulisball.....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1221 on: May 01, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »
strange logic....you mean like playing centre-back's as fullback's and playing your best defender as a leftback

We weren't talking about that at all we were talking about Gardner. I agree on Evans by the way who Pulis happened to buy :)

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1222 on: May 02, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »
Morrison should go he past his best and we needs someone to command the centre going forward, Morrison would not have handled Noble on Saturday he would have gone into his invisble mode.
Bypass Yacob and the midfield has not got a decent tackle in them, Sess is about the next best Mozza certainly is not a battler when its crutch time and remember him in the Championship is a long time gone. 

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »
We weren't talking about that at all we were talking about Gardner. I agree on Evans by the way who Pulis happened to buy :)
I know what you were referring to ,however I was illustrating the point, that if you think people on here are displaying 'Strange logic'; conversely pulis is as well with is penchant for playing player's out of position

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1224 on: May 03, 2016, 02:03:54 PM »
People have said he goes missing but there's also been a number of games where we've been pinned in our own half/box and Morrison has carried the team forward. He's the only player in the team that 'drives' forward with the ball. Something that certainly none of our other central midfield players do.