Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754954 times)

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #5375 on: December 09, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
12 games out of the 15 we have failed to score from open play bit of a disturbing stat hopefully we are saving ourselves for the villa game such a huge match this, Completely took over my mind this week with slight worry but also what a win would do for us and the team.

johnwilliamso20

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5376 on: December 09, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
12 games out of the 15 we have failed to score from open play bit of a disturbing stat hopefully we are saving ourselves for the villa game such a huge match this, Completely took over my mind this week with slight worry but also what a win would do for us and the team.

I've stopped caring completely. There have been times when i've been annoyed and fed up etc. when doing badly but i've never felt like this before. I just couldn't care less anymore.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5377 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11282684/Premier-League-managers-are-now-little-more-than-lightning-rods-for-owners-and-punchbags-for-fans.html

Interesting article, although no reference to Alan Irvine. No one cares outside the Midlands.

This is an interesting article, a sad indictment of humans but the reality is  (I'm afraid), it illustrates the need for a strong figurehead at a premier league club. I'm not saying Pepe Mel was a strong character/ leader (far from it apparently on what happened behind the scenes), however he managed to 'connect' with fans and convince us that the team were progressing in spite of awful results and chaotic tactics! This talent does not seem to be within AI however in an ideal World it shouldn't matter, he should have to look after training, the team, selection - his apparent remit... This simple World does not exist anymore (again I'm afraid) and this is the question we're about to find the answer to - does AI have the character to lead a winning run to prove he can cut it. I think we agree he does not seem to be a leader or a convincing 'figurehead' (perhaps like Pepe Mel). Based on the thousands of opinions on here, facebook, twitter, pubs etc.. our fanbase clearly has no hope of AI displaying these talents. The question is, why aren't the experts in charge of appointing football staff at our club aware of the need today for a strong character/ figurehead/ leader (defintion = someone to connect with the fans, media, raise the club's profile whilst running the football side of things). Perhaps this is the theory behind the coaching structure however, from the outside looking in, the football side all seem to be mates and I'm not sure who is the true leader there? Downing was a tenacious footballer but I wouldn't put him the bracket of Bruce, Alladyce, Pardew (big egos, maybe a bit arrogant). Roy has this prescence, Mowbray connected (similar to Pepe based on philosophy), Di Matteo obviously is a little confident, Clarke, Irvine - similar mould to me and not people I'd want leading me into a tricky situation based on my perception of course!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5378 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11282684/Premier-League-managers-are-now-little-more-than-lightning-rods-for-owners-and-punchbags-for-fans.html

Interesting article, although no reference to Alan Irvine. No one cares outside the Midlands.

Not sure why anyone would care outside the Midlands with the exception of Albion fans about anything to do with Alan Irvine. Do you care about Newcastle, Leicester, Sunderland or any other club who's managers are under pressure ? I know I don't
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5379 on: December 10, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2014/12/11/west-brom-players-rally-round-alan-irvine/

West Brom players rally round boss Alan Irvine
West Brom’s players have rallied around under-fire boss Alan Irvine as he gears up for a make-or-break derby clash with Aston Villa.

Baggies captain Chris Brunt and summer signing Craig Gardner have joined the growing band of senior squad members to back Irvine, who is facing pressure for his job.

The Scot has been targeted for abuse from Albion fans in the last three matches and his side are winless in five attempts.

Gardner said: “The gaffer has been unbelievable for us. We are working so hard in training. He is there day and night.

"He is a proper man and we all want to do it for him. The way he conducts himself and the way training is – it’s brilliant.

"It’s just unfortunate that the luck just hasn’t quite gone our way in games. In time you will see how the team develop. He is such a good person.”

Irvine’s future at the Hawthorns is in doubt after fans’ furious reaction to his appointment in the summer and a backlash against poor results of late.

They have won just three times in the league this season, but Brunt said: “Everyone will tell you they’re 100 per cent behind the manager. He’s a good coach, he leaves no stone unturned.

“We do everything right from Monday to Friday to prepare for the game at the weekend but over the last few weeks the performances on the pitch haven’t been good enough and we haven’t done our jobs properly.

“It must be difficult for the coaching staff to sit there and watch things fall apart sometimes, that’s down to us on the pitch as well.”

“It’s always difficult to lose a few games and with the nature of the Premier League and the way football is at the minute, people start putting pressure on the coach.

"It’s not fair at all – we go out on a Saturday and haven’t been doing our jobs as well as we have been doing, which is why we’re down there.”
the regime don't like it man

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5380 on: December 10, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2014/12/11/west-brom-players-rally-round-alan-irvine/

West Brom’s players have rallied around under-fire boss Alan Irvine as he gears up for a make-or-break derby clash with Aston Villa.

Baggies captain Chris Brunt and summer signing Craig Gardner have joined the growing band of senior squad members to back Irvine, who is facing pressure for his job.

The Scot has been targeted for abuse from Albion fans in the last three matches and his side are winless in five attempts.

Gardner said: “The gaffer has been unbelievable for us. We are working so hard in training. He is there day and night.

"He is a proper man and we all want to do it for him. The way he conducts himself and the way training is – it’s brilliant.

"It’s just unfortunate that the luck just hasn’t quite gone our way in games. In time you will see how the team develop. He is such a good person.”

Irvine’s future at the Hawthorns is in doubt after fans’ furious reaction to his appointment in the summer and a backlash against poor results of late.

They have won just three times in the league this season, but Brunt said: “Everyone will tell you they’re 100 per cent behind the manager. He’s a good coach, he leaves no stone unturned.

“We do everything right from Monday to Friday to prepare for the game at the weekend but over the last few weeks the performances on the pitch haven’t been good enough and we haven’t done our jobs properly.

“It must be difficult for the coaching staff to sit there and watch things fall apart sometimes, that’s down to us on the pitch as well.”

“It’s always difficult to lose a few games and with the nature of the Premier League and the way football is at the minute, people start putting pressure on the coach.

"It’s not fair at all – we go out on a Saturday and haven’t been doing our jobs as well as we have been doing, which is why we’re down there.”
Interesting that if the players are so behind him and believe in his methods so much, we still can't get results? Suggests his methods aren't right.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5381 on: December 10, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Interesting that if the players are so behind him and believe in his methods so much, we still can't get results? Suggests his methods aren't right.

They love Downing too, doesn't mean a thing. If they love him so much start playing better.

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5382 on: December 10, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »

All of this 'we love Irvine' in the local papers is just spin put out by the club.

I suppose it proves that our new public relations department actually exists...

If you have any sense you will realise its just propaganda.
Penny Arcade.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5383 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
They love Downing too, doesn't mean a thing. If they love him so much start playing better.

I personally don't have a problem with the players or the staff but I wonder if they are not all misguided.  With reference to the newspaper articles suggesting that managers are being used as scapegoats I also agree.  This should not detract from the fact that we have sacked mananagers coaches who had we have been more patient could have brought more stability or at the very least more excitement to the club. To reiterate I think it is important to  be aware that we have an abundance of riches at our club but I think Mr Peace needs more guidance from people who understand football tactics. My concern is that as others have pointed out the right gaffer for the team might be seen as a threat to the chairman. I just hope a decent compromise can be reached since in many respects it is subtle tweaks rather than wholesale demolition that is required to put us back on track.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:10:26 PM by Yamaka »
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5384 on: December 10, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »
Indeed. And if, hypothetically, we suppose that the players do actually like Irvine, and it isn't just what they've been told to say (which it probably is- they could hardly say they hate the manager), it's fair to assume that would only be because they know they're guaranteed a start under him. That's certainly not healthy either.

Frankly, I'd rather they hated the manager but he had them playing attractive, winning football without having any "favourites".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:55:08 PM by maccbaggie »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5385 on: December 10, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer it if they just shut up about Irvine. Club propaganda isn't going to help calm these particular stormy waters and I'm disappointed that Messrs Swain and Lepkoswki are seemingly not old enough and/or wise enough to realise this.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5386 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
I don't care who at the club loves Irvine and I don't care what journalists or ex professional so called experts think either. He's not good enough, end of story. No amount of propaganda is going to change that.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5387 on: December 10, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
Personally, I'd prefer it if they just shut up about Irvine. Club propaganda isn't going to help calm these particular stormy waters and I'm disappointed that Messrs Swain and Lepkoswki are seemingly not old enough and/or wise enough to realise this.
I guess it's something to say - players are unlikely to come out with anything controversial or that interesting in these snippets we get daily. It's a bit like the daily backing of Alastair Cook by whichever England player happens to be doing the press conference that day.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5388 on: December 10, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
Talk is cheap, go and prove it on the pitch where it matters.
"This crack is really moreish."

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5389 on: December 10, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
What a load of bolloni.Lets just see if the attitude of the players is of that to win a game of football on saturday.
Told you its far to cosy for them, i suspect they got the gas fire on whilst they train
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5390 on: December 10, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
the training must be as casual as the football they play on a match day. No wonder they love him. such an easy life 3 hours a day training 1-2 games per week 40k happy days

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5391 on: December 10, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
Indeed. And if, hypothetically, we suppose that the players do actually like Irvine, and it isn't just what they've been told to say (which it probably is- they could hardly say they hate the manager), it's fair to assume that would only be because they know they're guaranteed a start under him. That's certainly not healthy either.

Frankly, I'd rather they hated the manager but he had them playing attractive, winning football without having "favourites".
Exactly.
Lescott, Gardner, Brunt and Foster are the main supporters of Irvine, all of whom are guaranteed starters, it seems.
Mulumbu, Yacob, Ideye, Varela, Gamboa, Sessengon etc. may have a different view.
Two sides to every story.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5392 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
Exactly.
Lescott, Gardner, Brunt and Foster are the main supporters of Irvine, all of whom are guaranteed starters, it seems.
Mulumbu, Yacob, Ideye, Varela, Gamboa, Sessengon etc. may have a different view.
Two sides to every story.

Thats a good point.

When someone like Blanco comes out or Varela and says Irvine is a fantastic coach then I might actually read it.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5393 on: December 10, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
'Fiddling while Rome burns' like others have said 'go and do it on the pitch', 'talk is cheap' .

I really find this spin quite insulting - The  'lick spittlers' including the Journos,  have really  put themselves under pressure to perform on Saturday.

Just shut up, perform on Saturday and the rest of the season, that is the only way you will prove to the cynics like me, that they were wrong all along!! 

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5394 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
One win in more than 2 months and that was down to an own goal.
I sometimes think too much attention is paid to how well they train.
I remember Greening was always the best striker in training but that was probably because somebody like Robbo was not scything in with hard tackles.
I saw Blanco play a full game under match conditions in cup and he was arguably man of the match and was within inches of scoring 2 goals yet he can't even make the bench.He may not be good enough but at least give him some pitch time even if only a few minutes.
Things are not working so let us see some experimentation.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5395 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
If I had a shop and all my staff loved me and enjoyed coming into a fun time each day, but, sold feck all, I wouldn't have a shop long !

What world are these guys living in?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5396 on: December 10, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
If I had a shop and all my staff loved me and enjoyed coming into a fun time each day, but, sold feck all, I wouldn't have a shop long !

What world are these guys living in?

20,30,40K weekly Thats what world

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5397 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
If the players are playing for him and working hard then we've got half a chance. We just need to get some wins now starting against Villa.
the regime don't like it man

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5398 on: December 10, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »
If the players are playing for him and working hard then we've got half a chance. We just need to get some wins now starting against Villa.
Thats it what a fantastic chance and how massive would three points be especially against them lot will get hawthorns bouncing again.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5399 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
Thats it what a fantastic chance and how massive would three points be especially against them lot will get hawthorns bouncing again.
It would be a temporary distraction from the massive failings of Irvine's methods and our performances. 1 goal from open play in 8 games. 1 point out of 15 from our last 5 games.

Anything other than a loss on Saturday will be papering over the cracks and merely prolonging the inevitable.