Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1129363 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #1875 on: March 29, 2017, 09:16:10 AM »
I was pretty sure I'd read that his wife and kids are over here already and have found this piece from Brummie mail from November last year saying that they are here.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-salomon-rondon-reveals-12202400

Maybe his issues aren't to do with immediate family? I appreciate he may be worried about other family back in Caracas though.

I think it's something else: maybe playing style? Maybe China?

Thing is, are we playing in this style to accommodate Rondon? Or has he had to adapt to the playing style? Either way, we've been playing pretty much the same style for a couple of years now.

I personally think it's just a case of low confidence, and pressure growing since he hasn't scored in a while. As we've mentioned previously we don't create that many chances, so when he doesn't score it is always highlighted negatively. I think he's getting frustrated with not scoring, which invariably leads to nervousness when shooting or controlling the ball, and lowers confidence further.

I think this is why we see him snatch at shots, perhaps go down easily rather than trying his luck at beating the man, or slow down the attack to look for other options. He just needs a goal or two really, and I bet we'll see the Rondon that has the ability to run the game again. I think if we get a penalty we should give him the ball and let him just smash it home. Will do him the world of good.

As a side note it's always stuck with me that Rondon doesn't take any penalties for us. I personally would have thought that as a striker you'd relish the chance to have a free go at goal.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1876 on: March 29, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
Thing is, are we playing in this style to accommodate Rondon? Or has he had to adapt to the playing style? Either way, we've been playing pretty much the same style for a couple of years now.

I personally think it's just a case of low confidence, and pressure growing since he hasn't scored in a while. As we've mentioned previously we don't create that many chances, so when he doesn't score it is always highlighted negatively. I think he's getting frustrated with not scoring, which invariably leads to nervousness when shooting or controlling the ball, and lowers confidence further.

I think this is why we see him snatch at shots, perhaps go down easily rather than trying his luck at beating the man, or slow down the attack to look for other options. He just needs a goal or two really, and I bet we'll see the Rondon that has the ability to run the game again. I think if we get a penalty we should give him the ball and let him just smash it home. Will do him the world of good.

As a side note it's always stuck with me that Rondon doesn't take any penalties for us. I personally would have thought that as a striker you'd relish the chance to have a free go at goal.

Agree mostly with what you say.
I agree we've been playing this style of football pre Rondon but I would have expected him to have adapted more to our style that he appears to have. I've certainly read that he doesn't score because of the way we play which ignores the issue of him (not) being able to adjust his style to suit us better.

As I've said in numerous posts it's not so much the lack of goals but more the fact he rarely gets things on target that concerns me. He seems to be missing some very easy chances (Hull away, Middlesbrough away, Arsenal at home) which I'm sure is down to confidence and/or pressure.

With regard to the penalty taking as much as I think it would do him good to take the next one we get ...provided he scores..imagine how he might feel if he misses.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1877 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
Agree mostly with what you say.
I agree we've been playing this style of football pre Rondon but I would have expected him to have adapted more to our style that he appears to have. I've certainly read that he doesn't score because of the way we play which ignores the issue of him (not) being able to adjust his style to suit us better.

The above was sort of what I was getting at. If he was signed because he works in our existing system, you've got to question why he isn't. On the other hand if we've adopted our system to suit him, again you've got to question why it's not working with him, if we've presumably changed to suit his strengths.

As I've said in numerous posts it's not so much the lack of goals but more the fact he rarely gets things on target that concerns me. He seems to be missing some very easy chances (Hull away, Middlesbrough away, Arsenal at home) which I'm sure is down to confidence and/or pressure.

Agree with the above. And think it will get worse the longer he doesn't score. Especially if his strength is heading, and so many others have been scoring headers other than him. I mean we've got such good deliverers of the ball in the team, and it is clearly a game plan to try to get goals from headers, he's got to feel disappointed that he's not getting in on the action.

With regard to the penalty taking as much as I think it would do him good to take the next one we get ...provided he scores..imagine how he might feel if he misses.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I typed about the penalties. Although I think it does say a lot about a striker who doesn't feel the confidence to score a free shot from directly in front of the goal.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1878 on: March 29, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
The above was sort of what I was getting at. If he was signed because he works in our existing system, you've got to question why he isn't. On the other hand if we've adopted our system to suit him, again you've got to question why it's not working with him, if we've presumably changed to suit his strengths.

Agree with the above. And think it will get worse the longer he doesn't score. Especially if his strength is heading, and so many others have been scoring headers other than him. I mean we've got such good deliverers of the ball in the team, and it is clearly a game plan to try to get goals from headers, he's got to feel disappointed that he's not getting in on the action.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I typed about the penalties. Although I think it does say a lot about a striker who doesn't feel the confidence to score a free shot from directly in front of the goal.
Think he missed his last penalty for Venezuela, not sure though but, to be fair, I couldn't tell you who our dedicated penalty taker is as we never get any! Maybe it is Rondon, we just don't know it! Anyone shed any light?

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1879 on: March 29, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
Think he missed his last penalty for Venezuela, not sure though but, to be fair, I couldn't tell you who our dedicated penalty taker is as we never get any! Maybe it is Rondon, we just don't know it! Anyone shed any light?

Recently I've seen Morrison and Chadli take them. We haven't had that many to be fair! I also remember Rondon not being named in the 5 that took penalties during our last shootout as well. I don't think Rondon has ever taken one for us in the two years he has been here? Just find that a bit strange when you're a lone striker who struggles for goals anyway

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1880 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »

I would imagine it's Brunt if he is playing. Chadli took the one against West Ham at the start of the seaason.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1881 on: March 29, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that he scored for Venezuela last night v Chile
Edit here http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/west-brom-international-football-chadli-rondon-mcclean-3647482.aspx
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:11:01 AM by elmo_in_swansea »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1882 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
I would imagine it's Brunt if he is playing. Chadli took the one against West Ham at the start of the seaason.

Forgot about Brunt!

Yep, Chadli has taken the only penalty we got this season.

Last year we got 5 penalties, scored 1 missed 4!

Those were:

Berahino, took 2, missed 2 (same game if I remember)
Rickie Lambert, took 1, scored 1
Morrison took 1, missed 1
Gardener took 1, missed 1

The 5 that were named to take penalties against Peterborough last year in the shootout were:
Pocognoli - scored
Berahino - scored
Gardner - scored
Fletcher - missed
Chester - scored

Before that against Port Vale we used:
Lambert - scored
Yacob - scored
McManaman - scored
Fletcher - scored
Chester - scored

Edited to add the Northampton shootout:
Rondon - scored
Berahino - missed
Fletcher - scored
Phillips - scored
Morrison - missed

Rondon was in the team for each of these games, except the second Berahino miss, as he'd been subbed off by then. You'd have thought he'd put himself forward to take at least 1 of those 14 penalties, unless Pulis thinks he's not likely to score them either?

So Rondon has taken a penalty for us, in the shootout against Northampton. Hasn't attempted since
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:40:53 PM by TheBrom »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1883 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Shame McAuley can't take em with his head! I would say Chadli though if he is on the pitch. Whenever Brunt steps up, all I can think of is the one against villa when he nearly hit the corner flag!
Good news that Rondon notched last night even though they lost. Doubt he will start against Man U anyway though, he probably won't get back until tomorrow.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1884 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »
Forgot about Brunt!

Yep, Chadli has taken the only penalty we got this season.

Last year we got 5 penalties, scored 1 missed 4!

Those were:

Berahino, took 2, missed 2 (same game if I remember)
Rickie Lambert, took 1, scored 1
Morrison took 1, missed 1
Gardener took 1, missed 1

The 5 that were named to take penalties against Peterborough last year in the shootout were:
Pocognoli - scored
Berahino - scored
Gardner - scored
Fletcher - missed
Chester - scored

Before that against Port Vale we used:
Lambert - scored
Yacob - scored
McManaman - scored
Fletcher - scored
Chester - scored

Rondon was in the team for each of these games, except the second Berahino miss, as he'd been subbed off by then. You'd have thought he'd put himself forward to take at least 1 of those 14 penalties, unless Pulis thinks he's not likely to score them either?

From memory I'm pretty sure Rondon scored a penalty in the shoot out against Northampton, as did Fletcher and Phillips.

Morrison had one saved and Berahino 'ballooned' his wide.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1885 on: March 29, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
From memory I'm pretty sure Rondon scored a penalty in the shoot out against Northampton, as did Fletcher and Phillips.

Morrison had one saved and Berahino 'ballooned' his wide.

You are correct. Still strange that he took the first penalty in that shootout and hasn't taken one since

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1886 on: March 29, 2017, 11:43:54 AM »
You are correct. Still strange that he took the first penalty in that shootout and hasn't taken one since

Just read your reply so deleted my original post.

Here's the goals and shocking memories  :( .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGCm0WjTgqs

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1887 on: March 29, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »

Don't mean to be pedantic but we've only had one penalty all season (as stated by your good self).

This was taken by an eager to impress Chadli (who himself hadn't scored for some time) on his debut.

Statistically speaking I would suggest the infrequency of penalty awards to us may have limited Salomon's opportunities to score from the spot   ;D   ;) .

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1888 on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
Don't mean to be pedantic but we've only had one penalty all season (as stated by your good self).

This was taken by an eager to impress Chadli (who himself hadn't scored for some time) on his debut.

Statistically speaking I would suggest the infrequency of penalty awards to us may have limited Salomon's opportunities to score from the spot   ;D   ;) .

Still, we had 4 when he was on the pitch last season, and two other penalty shootouts where he wasn't featured. You'd think as a striker in your early time at a new club, you'd take the opportunity with both hands to notch up a couple of extra goals. Either he doesn't want to, or the coaching staff would rather he doesn't. Which I see as strange for the only striker on the pitch.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1889 on: March 29, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Still, we had 4 when he was on the pitch last season, and two other penalty shootouts where he wasn't featured. You'd think as a striker in your early time at a new club, you'd take the opportunity with both hands to notch up a couple of extra goals. Either he doesn't want to, or the coaching staff would rather he doesn't. Which I see as strange for the only striker on the pitch.

The club already had designated penalty takers last season, you are aware of this.

Berahino (who had a decent conversion rate from the spot prior to Watford) and Brunt.

Did we have any penalties after the Berahino debacle v Watford, genuinely can't remember.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1890 on: March 29, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
The club already had designated penalty takers last season, you are aware of this.

Berahino (who had a decent conversion rate from the spot prior to Watford) and Brunt.

Did we have any penalties after the Berahino debacle v Watford, genuinely can't remember.

I actually wasn't. Looking at the takers it seems Lambert, Morrison, Gardner and Berahino took them in league games last season. Hardly a designated taker. Brunt was on the pitch when Morrison missed his?

Anyway, we're moving off the point. If we get another penalty I think he should take it as a goal will improve his confidence massively. As a striker in need of goals, I'd be telling Pulis that I should be taking the next one.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1891 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
I actually wasn't. Looking at the takers it seems Lambert, Morrison, Gardner and Berahino took them in league games last season. Hardly a designated taker. Brunt was on the pitch when Morrison missed his?

Anyway, we're moving off the point. If we get another penalty I think he should take it as a goal will improve his confidence massively. As a striker in need of goals, I'd be telling Pulis that I should be taking the next one.

You didn't know that Berahino and Brunt took penalties for the Albion?

Lambert's record from the spot is really rather good, Morrison has taken decent penalties in previous shoot outs and Gardner has a good dig on him.

If we get another penalty it could just as easily destroy Rondon's confidence were he to miss or the keeper to pull off a save.

And no, you wouldn't be telling Pulis a damned thing of you wanted to stay in his team  :) .

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1892 on: March 29, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
You didn't know that Berahino and Brunt took penalties for the Albion?

Well you said that Berahino and Brunt were our designated takers. I didn't realise we had a designated taker. Evidenced by the 5 different takers we've had since last season.

Lambert's record from the spot is really rather good, Morrison has taken decent penalties in previous shoot outs and Gardner has a good dig on him.

Surely it doesn't matter if Lambert, Gardner or Morrison are good at penalties if we have designated takers? The designated takers should have taken them regardless, otherwise what's the point? By that method, Rondon could have easily stepped up at any time regardless of the chosen taker.

If we get another penalty it could just as easily destroy Rondon's confidence were he to miss or the keeper to pull off a save.

And no, you wouldn't be telling Pulis a damned thing of you wanted to stay in his team  :) .

I've mentioned the point about if he misses. But let's be honest, if you're a professional footballer you should be capable of sticking it away from 12 yards. If you're so low on confidence that you don't think you should be taking a penalty, you shouldn't really be on the pitch really.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1893 on: March 29, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Well you said that Berahino and Brunt were our designated takers. I didn't realise we had a designated taker. Evidenced by the 5 different takers we've had since last season.

Surely it doesn't matter if Lambert, Gardner or Morrison are good at penalties if we have designated takers? The designated takers should have taken them regardless, otherwise what's the point? By that method, Rondon could have easily stepped up at any time regardless of the chosen taker.

I've mentioned the point about if he misses. But let's be honest, if you're a professional footballer you should be capable of sticking it away from 12 yards. If you're so low on confidence that you don't think you should be taking a penalty, you shouldn't really be on the pitch really.

All fair points.

But equally if all of the listed players happen to be more confident/proficient penalty takers than Rondon, it's pretty obvious who should be taking them regardless of what you or I think.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1894 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
All fair points.

But equally if all of the listed players happen to be more confident/proficient penalty takers than Rondon, it's pretty obvious who should be taking them regardless of what you or I think.

Definitely. My original point was why Rondon was never our main man for them. You've got to read something into that, whether it's that he's not proficient at shooting from 12 yards, or that he's never really confident enough to take them. Either way it may explain some of the concerns around his finishing that some have stated.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1895 on: March 29, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
Definitely. My original point was why Rondon was never our main man for them. You've got to read something into that, whether it's that he's not proficient at shooting from 12 yards, or that he's never really confident enough to take them. Either way it may explain some of the concerns around his finishing that some have stated.

To be honest I really couldn't give a toss who takes the penalties so long as somebody scores them.

If it were a successful Rondon, then I dare say his detractors would point to how many of his goals had come from the spot as opposed to open play.

Rather like Brunty's detractors often point to his assists being bloated due to him taking so many corners over the years.

Tomaytos-  tomahtos.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1896 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I would prefer a corner to a penalty anyway.More chance of scoring !!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1897 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
I would prefer a corner to a penalty anyway.More chance of scoring !!
Oh ye of little faith.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1898 on: March 30, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
He a ored a cracking header the other day for Venezuela hopefully that brings him some
Confidence.
O Albion we love you

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1899 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
Other than the 1 on 1 opportunity he had vs Rojo I thought Rondon did well. Showed a lot of energy,