Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718267 times)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2175 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Cowley is into 4/7 on - now favourite!

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2176 on: May 17, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
I see Alan Nixon is saying on twitter the cowley brothers aren’t keen on the job and that the wages on offer to anyone aren’t great which is putting people off.

Bookies  4/7  Cowley, seems Alan Nixon is talking out of his proverbial. !!!

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2177 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
I've been thinking about the prospect of yet another new manager and really the one thing I want from the new appointment is just someone with a bl**dy winning mentality! I don't necessarily care about the style of play as long as the team go out there with some passion, determination and the sense that they actually want to win the game. To me Pulis for example was not a "winner", he was a "Don't lose" manager. Whereas SGM the first time around when we weren't scoring many goals the attitude was we had to WIN the game.

I don't care whether we tap it around like Bromalona or we hoof it upfield (As long as we're hoofing it TO somebody and not just hoofing it in blind panic) as long as they show some guts and some fire.

Just my 2p!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:56:55 PM by Jack Thrust »
Astle is the King

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2178 on: May 17, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »

or just maybe both bookies and Nixon have no clue.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2179 on: May 17, 2019, 02:58:30 PM »
This must be the forth odds on favourite so far:

Jokanovic
Neil
Hughton
Cowley

I've most probably forgot someone as well.

The bookies don't have a clue. The newest name linked goes automatic favourite.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2180 on: May 17, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
I mentioned Micky Mellon the other day - I'd like someone without a recent connection but he's been away a while - his Tranmere team looked reasonably impressive against FGR and he's made the play offs 3 seasons running so has a winning mentality, maybe we're waiting for the play offs to be over - btw I hope he loses the PO final to Newport ;D
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2181 on: May 17, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
This must be the forth odds on favourite so far:

Jokanovic
Neil
Hughton
Cowley

I've most probably forgot someone as well.

The bookies don't have a clue. The newest name linked goes automatic favourite.
Pretty sure big Sam was odds on for a while too. These markets are dream markets for bookies. They limit the amount you can put on so they’re liabilities are low and they know as soon as any name is mentioned in the press mug punters fall over themselves to whack a fiver on, thus bringing the price down. It’s rarely indicative of who is going to be eventually unveiled.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2182 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »
They will choose whoever decides they want it.  Lets face it , we are not the most attractive proposition !!

Neal turned us down, I think Jokanovic has probably turned us down, even Shan is probably pleased about going back to his coaching post.

Did Neal turn us down, or just use a rumour to his advantage in his contract negotiations with Preston? We never even made an approach for him. We have no idea if Jokanovic was even approached and even if (hypothetically) he was and did 'turn it down', this could have been for any reason.

Shan has made it clear previously that he didn't want the job permanently, I see that as no reflection on the club.

I'd be very happy if either Jokanovic or Hughton got the job, with the former being my preferred option.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2183 on: May 17, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
you realise how bookies odds work right? The odds are dependant on punters backings, the money people put on the shorter the odds become, a few stories the last few days have probably caused people to start backing the Cowley’s and the odds have dropped, at one point Alex Neil was massively odds on, the next day he’d signed a new contract at Preston.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2184 on: May 17, 2019, 04:29:10 PM »
Alan Nixon is about as reliable as a stopped watch right twice a day but largely by accident.

But taking it face value I would be delighted the Cowley's don't fancy the job I don't fancy them one little bit.

Wages terrible yeah ok whatever.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2185 on: May 17, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
Pulis has left Boro.
Be afraid, be very afraid  :-X

If it happened, I think I'd be looking to do more exciting things on a Saturday afternoon. Like inspecting the tarmac on my road.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2186 on: May 17, 2019, 05:54:10 PM »

Saw last night, Nixon said that Cowley didn't fancy it. He also said the same about Graeme  Jones & Luton.
He's said a few times that we don't pay well. but we paid well enough for Pulis, Pardew & Roy Hodgson

Think John Percy is the more reliable national journo
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2187 on: May 17, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »
I have always admired Nigel Adkins and he is out of contract at Hull this summer, as is Frazier Campbell, who I believe is a better option than HRK to come off the bench.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2188 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »
I have always admired Nigel Adkins and he is out of contract at Hull this summer, as is Frazier Campbell, who I believe is a better option than HRK to come off the bench.
Always liked Adkins myself, saw a lot of Scunny when he was manager there, and they played good stuff and over achieved massively, he was also a genuinely nice guy and alway took time to say hello if you bumped into behind the scenes as I often did through work at the time.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2189 on: May 17, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
Not for me. I'd put him as a solid Championship manager but really we should be more ambitious; his last promotion was 7 years back and although he's done well with Hull, he's been patchy with a few other clubs (I'm not a massive fan of Hughton but I think he is a class above Adkins).

I agree that Campbell is better than Kanu, but he will be 32 in September and there's a lot of strikers in this league who are better than Kanu, 4 league goals even for a substitute is abysmal when you consider how attack Moore's style was at times.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2190 on: May 17, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Always liked Adkins myself, saw a lot of Scunny when he was manager there, and they played good stuff and over achieved massively, he was also a genuinely nice guy and alway took time to say hello if you bumped into behind the scenes as I often did through work at the time.

I know he is definitely out our price range, but are there any rumours up there about where Bowen is going?

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2191 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Shortlist of 4, who are they though? My guess;

Hughton
Cowley
Vieira
Jokanovic

The obvious 2 are Jokanovic and Hughton, would be happy with either of those. Really don’t fancy Cowley but he will have knowledge of the lower leagues and some of the talent there. Vieira would be intriguing and would finally allow us to start using the foreign market for players. I’d give Vieira a chance personally but may be tough to persuade.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2192 on: May 18, 2019, 12:08:07 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

“WBA have narrowed their managerial search down to four candidates. Interviews start next week”

Your guess is as good as mine, I am hoping against hope that Jokanovic is one of the candidates
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2193 on: May 18, 2019, 12:27:36 AM »
Strange to hear Dowling say that he can't get the atmosphere out of his head from the Villa game and how he wants to bring in a manager that makes that a much more regular occurrence, and yet the first 2 names that have been linked with the short list are Hughton and Crowley.

Now I feel the club are totally right to give serious considerstion to both candidates, as they both have good track records in their managerial careers and are both very attainable, but both of them have a reputation for fairly functional football from everything I have read (and in Hughton's case, seen).

If your aim is to get the place buzzing, you probably need to be seeking out a manager who plays a more high octane style of football, else you are just paying lip service to the atmosphere thing.

Neither Hughton nor Cowley would be poor appointments and any championship club who hires them will have a good chsnce next season, but I can't see them ever being entertainers.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2194 on: May 18, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
Strange to hear Dowling say that he can't get the atmosphere out of his head from the Villa game and how he wants to bring in a manager that makes that a much more regular occurrence, and yet the first 2 names that have been linked with the short list are Hughton and Crowley.

Now I feel the club are totally right to give serious considerstion to both candidates, as they both have good track records in their managerial careers and are both very attainable, but both of them have a reputation for fairly functional football from everything I have read (and in Hughton's case, seen).

If your aim is to get the place buzzing, you probably need to be seeking out a manager who plays a more high octane style of football, else you are just paying lip service to the atmosphere thing.

Neither Hughton nor Cowley would be poor appointments and any championship club who hires them will have a good chsnce next season, but I can't see them ever being entertainers.

I think there are a couple of things even professionals sometimes get caught up in the mood. I doubt Dowling or many of the players have been in a stadium where the atmosphere was as white hot as that generated on Tuesday night. The question is what generated it?

The opposition and what was at stake. Our oldest rivals and a place in what might be arguably the biggest game of the season. Overlay the game situation which was always balanced on a knife edge throw in we were underdogs with a sense of being slightly hard done by from the game just a few days earlier. If that situation didn't generate an atmosphere nothing would.

Had we been 4:0 up from the 1st leg sure the Hawthorns would have been bouyant but the atmosphere would not have been so intense.

I am not sure that just entertaining football or good results will reproduce that feeling. It is only the occasion the absolute cliff hanger that generates that level of noise from a crowd almost any crowd.

A Head Coach isn't going to deliver that. Circumstance and our desire as fans to be loud and proud might the best a Head Coach can do is tap into it.

Dowling is just caught up in the moment. Fine and dandy but the Head Coach whoever it is will still pull their trousers on one leg at a time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:27:18 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2195 on: May 18, 2019, 06:40:35 AM »
Matt Wilson Twitter Account

“WBA have narrowed their managerial search down to four candidates. Interviews start next week”

Your guess is as good as mine, I am hoping against hope that Jokanovic is one of the candidates

I hope Appleton and Pulis aren't included in those 4
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:43:58 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2196 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
This suggests to me that Appleton is very much in the frame.

“Walking away from the ground on Tuesday evening I thought from start to finish it was a night to be proud to work for West Bromwich Albion,” he said.

“It showed everyone, not only employees and supporters of our football club, but people who watched it on TV, what we’re about.

“It was a proud evening, in terms of what they players went through, and how they got through it. Obviously, we’ve been knocked out of the Play-Offs but it’s given us a sense of belief for the future that this is how we want nights to be at Albion. We understand every home game won’t be like that but we want to see that more often than not.

“I’ve only been here since September but I’m not sure it’s been the happiest of places over the past few seasons. But that’s something we need to change. It’s something we want to change.

“We will do our upmost behind the scenes to change that.

“We want to put 11 players out there with a Head Coach leading them that represent West Bromwich Albion Football Club. Everyone mucks in at Albion, from the top down, and that represents Albion. We want the Head Coach and players to represent that as well, and we want the fans to see that.

“The fans appreciated Tuesday, it probably reflected West Bromwich as an area, that we work hard for everything that we’ve got. That’s what we want to continue next season.”
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2197 on: May 18, 2019, 08:27:33 AM »
He's said it could take longer than 2 weeks so that'll be June 18th then.

I hope the 4 are; Jokanovic, Hughton, Johnson and an obscure foreign coach with a great track record.

I think it's Hughton, Cowley, Appleton and Moyes.

And i think we'll get Hughton.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2198 on: May 18, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
This "four" - teasing isn't it?  ;D

I'd say Hughton is absolutely certain to be one of the four. The other three - who knows, pure guesswork. Danny Cowley, very possibly. Other two, no idea. Won't be Pulis or Pardew that's for certain.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2199 on: May 18, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Alan nixon has repeatedly said cowley is not interested. Hughton, vieria and one other are my guesswork.