Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635697 times)

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #925 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
Did anyone catch his post-match interview? I tried to listen in, but there was a vile fan ranting away at the bar.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #926 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »
the Moose on Talksport has obviously been reading the papers this morning reporting Pete is demanding  talks with QPR
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #927 on: January 22, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
Pete became a Dad for the first time 2 days ago, you can imagine he probably has more important things on his mind than 'demanding' transfers.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #928 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »
It's all quite parasitic by the mirror and if all of this is fabricated it's really unfairly put Pete in a bad light. If you go by his actions on the pitch (playing like a man posessed!) and his words ( saying he loves the club, the fans score the equaliser) then the matters put to bed. The Mirror should just leave this now it seems like they, sky sports and talk sport are the only ones trying to make this happen, even 'arry gave up last week!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #929 on: January 22, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
I might be mistaken but it looked to me like he grabbed the crest on his shirt (maybe kissed it?) after scoring on Saturday...as well as pointing to his name on his shirt.
 Might be an idea if we started singing his name! Couldn't hear much singing of his name even though he saved us a point.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #930 on: January 22, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
If what the Mirror says is true (that would be rare!) then as far as I am concerned we should call his bluff. He signed a contract with us and we don't want to sell him (although for £5m I could be persuaded).

With our Premiership place (all but) secured, I could see JP taking a tough stance on him, as there is no chance of JP being held to blackmail.  Maybe Pete's agent hasn't worked out JP yet.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: January 22, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »
We are not selling Pete this window unless QPR come up with a lot of money and thus far they have not. This summer might be a different proposition, Pete is 32 this year he is a player that relies on his pace at some point in his thirties he will lose a yard of pace and when he does he will be half the player he is now. Albion probably do not want to be the club that is paying him £40,000 a week at that point . The player is looking at one last big pay day which is why he is interested in QPR and it would not surprise me if he were to move on this summer to a club that will offer him a 2 year contract on the same or more money.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #932 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
We are not selling Pete this window unless QPR come up with a lot of money and thus far they have not. This summer might be a different proposition, Pete is 32 this year he is a player that relies on his pace at some point in his thirties he will lose a yard of pace and when he does he will be half the player he is now. Albion probably do not want to be the club that is paying him £40,000 a week at that point . The player is looking at one last big pay day which is why he is interested in QPR and it would not surprise me if he were to move on this summer to a club that will offer him a 2 year contract on the same or more money.

My fear is that we will receive an acceptable offer right at the end of the transfer window and have no time to acquire a replacement

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #933 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
Taken yesterday from ´caughtoffside

Peter Odemwingie Rules Out QPR Move

by Gary Emmerson January 21st, 2013
Comments
Odenwingie NUFC

West Brom striker not leaving The Hawthorns.

Peter Odemwingie has ruled out joining Premier League strugglers Queens Park Rangers in the January transfer window after committing his future to West Brom.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp placed a £2million bid for the 31-year-old Nigerian international forward last week but that approach was rejected by West Brom along with an enquiry about the availability of defender Jonas Olsson.

Odemwingie rewarded West Brom’s loyalty by scoring the crucial equaliser in the club’s comeback 2-2 draw with Aston Villa at weekend and immediately pledged that his future is at The Hawthorns despite the possibility of an increased offer coming in from QPR.

“I’m not the one deciding this,” Odemwingie, who joined West Brom in 2010, said after the victory. “Nothing abnormal is going on. Players move clubs.

“An offer was made and I was thinking about having to secure my own future in the Premier League, which is my desire. So we had a good talk with the club and now I’m here and I would say that it’s a club that I love with all my heart.”

QPR turned their attention to French international Loic Remy instead and the striker made an instant impact in Saturday’s 1-1 draw at West Ham following his move from Marseille.

Baggie for life not just for Xmas

liam-zuiverloon

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #934 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Very bad journalism, surprised this story is still being brought back every other day after the club and Odemwingie have already put it to bed.
Some people's spelling is hylaryous.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: January 22, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »
'QPR manager Harry Redknapp placed a £2million bid for the 31-year-old Nigerian international forward'

if this is true JP would have cried laughing into his cornflakes!

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #936 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Can't say I'm a big Odemwingie fan - he's just too selfish for my liking. But I think he can do a job for us in the second half of the season, and I can't see us replacing him in this transfer window for anything better.
Remember the past - learn from it

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #937 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Can't say I'm a big Odemwingie fan - he's just too selfish for my liking. But I think he can do a job for us in the second half of the season, and I can't see us replacing him in this transfer window for anything better.
Obviously you are fully entitled to your opinion, but I can't understand fans who don't rate Odemwingie. Not just you but I've seen plenty of others as well. Despite sometimes being a bit single minded and maybe holding the ball a bit too long occasionally the guy is constantly involved in important parts of the game. So often has some involvement in our goals either scoring, assisting or taking part earlier in the move.

Personally I don't mind him being a bit greedy. Getting his head down and running at people or getting shots off is at least putting us on the front foot and making something happen. Not sure we have another player apart from maybe Mozza who can turn us from defence into attacking quickly by carrying the ball. We have lacked decent ball carriers for years.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #938 on: January 22, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
I agree A5HB. Mozza can be man marked out of games. The only time I've seen that happen with PO is when he plays on the wings and opposing teams stack two or three players behind him, and our team doesn't shift the play enough to loosen up the opposing defence. Yes, clearly PO likes to be on the ball and I sometimes wish he'd play simple one twos more often. But look at our first goal against Villa. PO carried the ball from our own half, holding off a Villa player, played a one two with Thomas and again held off a Villa player and then played a perfect low cross from the touchline to Lukaku who had the sense to set up Brunty. That was a player aware of and using his teammates.

PO could easily play for a much better team than us, we can't say that about many of our players can we?

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #939 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
I would keep him until the end of the season, certianly has a few goals still in him.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #940 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:05 AM »
I dont understand anybody that doesn't want to keep him for as long as possible! He's definitely a player that needs to be man-managed and dealt with very carefully but he's one of few we have that will do something out of nothing (ie blackburn and newcastle games last year)

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #941 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
he is the one player we have with real pace and genuine dribbling ability. he is one of the last players we should be selling.

personally, i'd give him a pay rise and contract extension. other prem clubs want him,what does that tell you?

i despair at some of our fans - we only notice his worth when he doesn't play.who else can do what he does?

also, just a thought - his goal v villa was a replica of his goal v the dingles - spin and instant volley on a corner off the post.

he's an absolute hero...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:50:18 PM by OldburyWBA »
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #942 on: January 24, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »

As every good striker should be....its what sets apart decent strikers

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #943 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
he is the one player we have with real pace and genuine dribbling ability. he is one of the last players we should be selling.

personally, i'd give him a pay rise and contract extension. other prem clubs want him,what does that tell you?

i despair at some of our fans - we only notice his worth when he doesn't play.who else can do what he does?

also, just a thought - his goal v villa was a replica of his goal v the dingles - spin and instant volley on a corner off the post.

he's an absolute hero...

hear hear...

Totally agree for me he should be given a longer contract...

I dont get all this we can sell him in the summer its the last chance we will get to grab some money...why? he cost what 1.5m and has scored a fantastic amount of goals he has repaid his fee and we dont need to sell we should keep until he cant play no more

A hero in the making and we should appreciate players like him not offload them

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: January 24, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
hear hear...

Totally agree for me he should be given a longer contract...

I dont get all this we can sell him in the summer its the last chance we will get to grab some money...why? he cost what 1.5m and has scored a fantastic amount of goals he has repaid his fee and we dont need to sell we should keep until he cant play no more

A hero in the making and we should appreciate players like him not offload them

The key to how the club works is pay as much as you can in wages and then get the wages on the pitch. Pete is probably our highest earner on about £40k a week so therefore has to fully justify his place in the team (he does at the minute) but at the point he does not we do not want to be committed to paying his wages because we need to spend that money elsewhere. Keeping him when he is not a regular starter is not an option and if anything the club should let him go a little bit for that point.

The fee we might receive for Pete is almost incidental as you quite rightly pointed out we didn't pay a fortune for him in the first place and even a desperate QPR have not offered more than £3m so a more rational buyer in the summer will probably not even offer that. The key is what Odemwingie wants and how hard will he push to get it. He is contracted to the end of next season we could let that run down or offer to extend for 12 months so he has two years but I doubt we will offer more. Al-Gharafa came in last summer and a three year tax free payday in a less demanding league could be an attractive proposition to the player.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2013, 07:10:39 PM »
Just put sky sports news on and they're banging on about how the club met his representatives and he feels he's being priced out of a move and will hand a transfer request in. Thought this had been put to bed this week!? I swear sky just do it so people tune in on deadline day

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
bit irrelevant he´s under contract so  the club is entitled to ask what they want for him not his (or his agents)right to set his own transfer fee!! Still think its being driven from the QPR end as i am sure PO is way to busy learning how to change a nappy and which end to put the bottle!!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #947 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
Not for sale and that should be the end of the matter. QPR and Harry Redknapp are trying to unsettle the player no doubt with the knowledge and approval of PO's agents. Dirty business football

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #948 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:06 PM »
Not for sale and that should be the end of the matter. QPR and Harry Redknapp are trying to unsettle the player no doubt with the knowledge and approval of PO's agents. Dirty business football

No two ways about it but it won't work at least not in this window. The problem is that it does unsettle the player and even if the club digs its' heals in now once the player starts thinking about a move he becomes keener to explore the next opportunity when it arises and less happy for the club to keep rebuffing approaches, at some point something gives.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #949 on: January 24, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
If he wants to even talk to them he can do one >:(
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite