Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 636741 times)

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #626 on: September 05, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
Seems to me like a lot of Albion fans are very keen to play down the importance of Peter Odemwingie to us, why this is I don't know.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by saying this, if I am then it will get removed and I'll take my punishment from Phil (:o) ... no doubt people will laugh this off but it's just something I've noticed. Peter wouldn't be the first black / mixed race striker we've had at the club that a number of fans just don't like. Now I'm not saying Albion fans in general are racist, but it's something I've noticed especially from the older generation - the younger generation seem a lot more accepting of Pete in my opinion. It seems to me that unless a black / mixed race player runs around like a headless chicken (Mulumbu for example), he is pigeon holed as the "lazy black lad".

Just think about how many players of this description have, at some point or another, been labeled this way. Odemwingie, Jerome Thomas, Nathan Ellington, Luke Moore, Somen Tchoyi, Ishmael Miller, Jason Roberts, Diomansy Kamara, to name a few. Even Fabien de Freitas still gets mentioned, out of all the dross we had in the 90's why him? Now some of these players may deserve to be labeled lazy, but as I said it's just something I've noticed. Whether this is intentional, unintentional or just that these players fail to live up to the high standards set by the Three Degrees decades ago, I really don't know.

And before anyone bangs the "PC gone mad" drum, I am far from being the kind of person who is offended by everything in the world so let's not go down that road. It's just an observation and I'm entitled to express it.

How many of those players though could you explain away fans frustrations with another reason?

Peter Odemwingie and Diomansy Kamara have both been very good on the pitch but both seem to carry a lot of extra off the pitch with constant news stories of wanting to leave. That will inevitably make some fans moan.

Nathan Ellington and Luke Moore always looked fed up when playing, maybe because neither player actually loved playing football from what I can see and both off the pitch appear the quite type (Ellington certainly seemed too nice for the game after he converted to Islam). Ishmael Miller was the nice lad who would do stupid things, like when he had a tantrum in the box for missing - as the ball fell to his feet in space. The amount of times he would have is head in his hands even tough the play was still going on didnt help.

Jason Roberts you can put squarely at the feet of Megson - he said he had a bad attitude and not lazy, although that appears to be maybe a little wide of the mark with how the rest of his career ha panned out (seemingly the model pro).

I dont think too many call Thomas any lazier than Dorrans and Tchoyi was always known more for "not knowing what he was about to do" rather than being lazy - something it was hard to disagree with, and was part of hi charm.

Im not saying your point doesnt have some merit, maybe there is an element there of a stereotype more prevalent in a bygone era, but I think it maybe has more to do with footballs fans lazy analysis of the reason a player acts/plays like he does. The fact we have only named attacking players is probably very telling as well - attacking positions where players are usually more creative often get more criticism for not putting enough in and thus being called lazy.

Boing Boing

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #627 on: September 05, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
I agree with Lloydy's point.  I've always been a big fan of Pete's and have always questioned those who spout bile towards him and none of them have given me a reasoned, clear, objective, sensical view of why they dislike him so much.  Not in person anyway, a few people on here have, although I don't agree with them.

I spoke to one guy in a pub at Sunderland away last year, he was slating Pete and I said why do you dislike him so much, he said I've always disliked him right from the first game he played with us.  I just thought that is so nonsensical there must be something more sinister behind his 'reasoning'.  Of course I'm not saying everyone who doesn't rate Odemwingie has a problem with him but I'd say there are a few Albion fans, whether they are conscence of it or not, that have there backs up because a black/mixed race guy is being paid £40k a week by their club.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 08:21:53 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #628 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
People don't like him for the following reasons:

-He is the highest paid player at the club.
-He sometimes looks like he's not interested.
-He is constantly linked with a move away.
-He has openly admitted he would move to a bigger club.
-He didn't quite meet the standards of his first year in his second year.
-He is right footed and always seems to use his left (freak)

Race has absolutely nothing to do with it. The thing is really good players completely divide opinion.

It's completely unfair to suggest fans who don't like him do so because of his race. Despite liking the bloke myself  - there are plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons to dislike him.

How much does Brunt get slagged of and he is soooo white?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #629 on: September 05, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
I agree with Lloydy's point.  I've always been a big fan of Pete's and have always questioned those who spout bile towards him and none of them have given me a reasoned, clear, objective, sensical view of why they dislike him so much.  Not in person anyway, a few people on here have, although I don't agree with them.

I spoke to one guy in a pub at Sunderland away last year, he was slating Pete and I said why do you dislike him so much, he said I've always disliked him right from the first game he played with us.  I just thought that is so nonsensical there must be something more sinister behind his 'reasoning'.  Of course I'm not saying everyone who doesn't rate Odemwingie has a problem with him but I'd say there are a few Albion fans, whether they are conscence of it or not, that have there backs up because a black/mixed race guy is being paid £40k a week by their club.
I really hope you are wrong, we dont need that kind of thing at our club.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #630 on: January 02, 2013, 12:59:26 AM »
The Sun linking Pete with a move to Newcastle for £3m  ::)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4721614/EXCLUSIVE.html

ALAN PARDEW is lining up West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie as Demba Ba’s replacement.

Ba plays for Newcastle tonight for the first time since trying to seal his dream move to Chelsea.

Talks were on-going last night and Toon boss Pardew is hoping to land Odemwingie for £3million.

The Nigerian, 31, has 18 months left on his deal and wants to quit Albion.

He almost moved to the cash-rich Qatari League last summer but the Baggies were unable to strike a deal.

Albion chiefs are keen to do business now rather than see his value plummet as he nears the end of his contract.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #631 on: January 02, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »

ALAN PARDEW is lining up West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie as Demba Ba’s replacement.

Ba plays for Newcastle tonight for the first time since trying to seal his dream move to Chelsea.

Talks were on-going last night and Toon boss Pardew is hoping to land Odemwingie for £3million.

He almost moved to the cash-rich Qatari League last summer but the Baggies were unable to strike a deal.

Albion chiefs are keen to do business now rather than see his value plummet as he nears the end of his contract.

May be something in this, I think his wifes family are from the north.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:31:18 PM by OldburyWBA »
Baggie in Southampton

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #632 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:38 AM »

Blimey, how surprising!
Pete linked with a move away in the transfer window.
Getting a bit sick of this now TBH happens every window
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:54:42 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #633 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
You can see why they make the link and I'm Newcastle, along with a few others, would be interested at the right price.

But in reality that price is going to be very inflated. Pete is our highest paid player in history and still has a year and a half left on his deal so for a start that pushes his value above the reporters 3 million, not to mention in the summer the club were believed to value him at around 10+ million.

Also I doubt that Pete really wants to leave, he's pretty happy here, plays games regularly, has just got married, bought a house in the area and his wife is due to have their baby in the next few weeks. Also to whoever mentioned his family are from the North, I think they are Manchester way as Pete has mentioned in the past his father in law is a City fan so I can't imagine living down here is a real problem.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #634 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
I dunno why people gobble up this kind of nonsense time and time again. It's what journo's do. They bait people knowing full well which players are popular/good in each team. All they want is an emotional reaction out of people and their job is done.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #635 on: January 02, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
I dunno why people gobble up this kind of nonsense time and time again. It's what journo's do. They bait people knowing full well which players are popular/good in each team. All they want is an emotional reaction out of people and their job is done.

No one is gobbleing this up or reacting, just reporting what the papers say. :P
Baggie in Southampton

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #636 on: January 02, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
However....
Newcastle may possibly offer more than us?
He may play as a striker
Its his last big contract
If we hold him his value (in pounds) will only deflate from here on in

Not saying he will go , just that it could be a possibility that our best striker ever in the prem (fact) could leave.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #637 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Met the guy on NYE in the apple shop, he's more than happy at the Albion.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #638 on: January 02, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Well, just for those afraid PO will leave, Clarke did say that he was happy with the squad as long as he didn't lose any of our players in this window... So obviously there are 'sniffers' around some of our players. :P

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #639 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
Met the guy on NYE in the apple shop, he's more than happy at the Albion.
Not wishing to doubt you , but the chances of a top player staying with their club because they told a fan they would do not exist.
I hope he stays but the list for going seems longer than the list for staying?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #640 on: January 02, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
From the Brum Mail

But our man at the Baggies, Chris Lepkowski, today poured cold water on the news.

He tweeted : "No truth in this morning's reports that#wba and Newcastle are in talks over potential Odemwingie move"

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/rumour-mill-newcastle-want-peter-397752

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #641 on: January 02, 2013, 02:36:31 PM »
Ba's release clause has been triggered by Chelsea... *drumroll*  ;D

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #642 on: January 02, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »
Why would Pete want to move to a little club in the North East who are in a relegation battle?  :)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #643 on: January 02, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »
Why would Pete want to move to a little club in the North East who are in a relegation battle?  :)
Its all  about the money, money, money! ;)

(Pete also seems to perform when/want to be loved and there are a significant amount of Geordies prepared to do that.)

However, because it is written in a rag that I wouldn't wipe my ass on, I will only believe it when it actually happens.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #644 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
If Peter is to go then take the 3mill and get Sinclair on loan heard he's frustrated at City,got goals in him,and with Ba going to Chelsea looking good to keepLukaku into next season ;D

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #645 on: January 02, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
If Peter is to go then take the 3mill and get Sinclair on loan heard he's frustrated at City,got goals in him,and with Ba going to Chelsea looking good to keepLukaku into next season ;D

The way Newcastle is playing we can probably get 5 million for PO.

Make that 10 million for PO and Dorrans.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #646 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:39 PM »
Why would Newcastle want him ? and why should we let him go ?.....our top earner ( believe to be 42 k a week )....needs to knuckle down and start frightening the poo out of defences like he was doing last season.............

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #647 on: January 03, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »
Why would Newcastle want him ? and why should we let him go ?.....our top earner ( believe to be 42 k a week )....needs to knuckle down and start frightening the poo out of defences like he was doing last season.............

needs to play every week for me. he does frighten defenders....... when he plays.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #648 on: January 03, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »

He still is frightening the poo out of defences. When he plays.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #649 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:37 PM »
I think most teams have figured out that they only have to put a couple of players on him when he has the ball as he hardly ever passes. Although against Fulham he did make one or two passes more than normal.

I'm not his biggest fan so I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left, but I still think his best position is up top on his own. He can solo to his hearts content then.