Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635603 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I think Pete had his head turned by middle east money.The i'm not sure if i can perform at this level anymore simply doesn't wash.
So if Arsenal had come in he would have said the same.

Nice try Pete but too old in the tooth me.

But,if he is hungry to play again for us that has to be good news.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #576 on: September 03, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
When your at work dont you ever think about leaving and maybe trying something different?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #577 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
I would rather he kept it to himself personally but it isnt a big deal. It does seem drama follows him every where but I have always said he is a cracking player and maybe this is what you have to accept when you have a player with his level of ability.

Do we believe he had a crisis in confidence? Well he is a confidence player but im not sure it really washes with me and im sure an offer from the middle east would be tempting for him to allow him to have a final money spinning move although maybe he did just like the idea of playing with less stress.

The talk did dry up very quickly though and at least he did not go on strike. Asking for a move is one thing, demanding one is another. He fell on the right side of the line so hopefully he can have one last big season before we maybe grant him his wish of retirement in the middle east. Would be a waste with his talent though to leave Europe in my opinion.
Boing Boing

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #578 on: September 03, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
I totally respect him for being honest and most people at some point are disillusioned with work, irrespective of what career they are in.

However, he maybe should have kept quiet about this because the he is under scrutiny all the time.

If he has a bad game it will be "well he wants to leave again" or "he never wanted to stay really" etc.

Sometimes it's not always the best thing to publicly say these things especially in his position.

I believe he is happy here, I just hope he's not turned on the minute something goes wrong.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
I think hes quite a complex character is Pete.  Reading that article he seems to doubt his ability to continue playing at the top level.  We all know he has had stretches where his confidence has been low and its affected his performances.

Some players need shouting at and some need an arm around the shoulders - Pete is clearly the latter.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #580 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
I think Clarke deserves a lot of credit for keeping Pete at the club. I reckon a different manager with a different approach and Pete could have been off.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #581 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
A) the best striker we have had in the prem FACT
B) everyone craves honesty , then moan when they get it?
C)the bigger /better you get the more you deal with egos/personalitys , would you say no to Tevez, ballotelli , RVP or Ronaldo?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #582 on: September 03, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »
I think Pete had his head turned by middle east money.The i'm not sure if i can perform at this level anymore simply doesn't wash.
So if Arsenal had come in he would have said the same.

Nice try Pete but too old in the tooth me.

But,if he is hungry to play again for us that has to be good news.
Why would he say anything in the first place if that's the case? There was nothing to suggest before today that his head was turned by an offer from the Middle East, so if that was the case wouldn't he just not say anything rather than say a lie to a question he wasn't asked?

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #583 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
When your at work dont you ever think about leaving and maybe trying something different?

Not 12 months after I’ve demanded and signed a fat, new 3 year contract playing football for the world’s greatest club, no.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #584 on: September 03, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
Ok i have got it wrong.

Honest as the day is long our Pete.  Ok now?  :)

Another Paul Robinson,we will get this every window.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #585 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:06 PM »
Ok i have got it wrong.

Nothing like Paul Robinson, Robinson tried to effectively blackmail the club into allowing him to leave, all behind the scenes, then when his body failed him, issued a public statement to fans saying he loved the club. Scum bag up there with Davies.

The agenda against Odemwingie is a joke to be honest.

Not 12 months after I’ve demanded and signed a fat, new 3 year contract playing football for the world’s greatest club, no.

He got a deserved pay rise after an outstanding season. I don't recall him moving to Barca?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #586 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
I have no problem with Odemwingie or any other player for wanting to leave the Hawthorns. It is their profession and they are entitled to make decisions that affect their livelihood just like the rest of us. However because of the long term contracts they enjoy they cannot just up and leave without compensation being agreed between the clubs.

I have nothing but contempt for the likes of Dempsey or Davies who refuse to play but where a player is being reasonable and accepts that the club has a right to negotiate compensation and honours their contract both in the letter and spirit then I have no problem with them leaving.

In someways I would rather footballers told the truth and did not feel the need to pretend that there are always footballing reasons for their decisions. In most instances it is about economics or lifestyle choices which is fair enough because we all do that I have never felt the need to spout spurious claptrap  about wanting work with a particular manager or pretend I have some lifetime affinity to some obscure PLC when I have changed jobs why should footballers?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:19:59 AM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #587 on: September 03, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »
Ok i have got it wrong.

When in doubt resort to sarcasm.

He didn't demand it, he was given it.

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #588 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:11 PM »
Sounds to me like somebody who is in doubt of his own abilities.

I'd rather he be honest, than string us along like other previous players.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #589 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
Ok i have got it wrong.

It's the complete opposite to Robinson though, Robinson used to preach his love and loyalty for the club in interviews whilst trying to engineer moves away behind the scenes at the exact same time. Odemwingie has just been honest that he considered leaving at one point.

People go on about no characters in football and such, but whenever someone says something that isn't the party line they get people complaining about it! As far as I can see Odemwingie has been entirely honest in his entire stay here. Maybe he should just learn to answer all questions with "I'm happy to stay forever". But then of course if he does move, you get the exact same people saying a players word means nothing these days! 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:31:37 PM by Dan »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #590 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:15 AM »
I hope he stays and has the hunger he says has returned. We shall see.

Why do some of you though get so uppy and end over backwards to defend players who treat us off handedly and with a total lack of respect.

Would you react to a slap in the face or say  "sorry mate"?

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: September 04, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
He put in a delightful cross for Long to finish to start us on our way to 3 points against Everton. Keep doing this like that and I don't care what happens behind the scenes. Not for us to worry about.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #592 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
He should take a leaf out of McAuleys book and just get on with playing instaed of trying to work an angle every transfer window.
Get ready for more of the same come Christmas

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/09/04/gareth-mcauley-happy-to-wait-for-new-deal/
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: September 04, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
He should take a leaf out of McAuleys book and just get on with playing instaed of trying to work an angle every transfer window.
Get ready for more of the same come Christmas

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2012/09/04/gareth-mcauley-happy-to-wait-for-new-deal/

Very different personalities. I don't think PO is trying to 'work an angle'. He is simply a bit of drama and wants to feel appreciated. McAuley is far stabler emotionally.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #594 on: September 04, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
I hope he stays and has the hunger he says has returned. We shall see.

Why do some of you though get so uppy and end over backwards to defend players who treat us off handedly and with a total lack of respect.

Would you react to a slap in the face or say  "sorry mate"?

I don't see where people have bent over backwards to defend Peter Odemwingie. In-fact, I think its the opposite as he's harshly criticised in my opinion. I think we have to accept that when we have the better players at our club, they might come with baggage and therefore the transfer rumours which surround them every summer might be taken out of context.

Peter Odemwingie is without doubt the best player at this football club and we must keep hold of him at all costs. He has proved that he can reach ten goals a season or more and that is so important to us. Without the goals of Odemwingie we could well have been playing last season in the championship. For that reason alone, and the fact he is important to us is why we should lay off him, especially if he feels he doesn't have long left in the game and fancies one money spinning deal. As mentioned previously, I appreciate his honesty that he asked to move but then when he received the answer he's carried on with his football professionally, playing an important part in our opening two home games of the season.

Credit for Clarke for turning him around and keeping him here. Many posters on the board said that the appointment of Clarke would force our better players away but as many thought at the time, that won't be the case and Clarke has proved that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbarich

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #595 on: September 04, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
It is obvious he was trying to get more money out of the Albion or a move away for more money!

Then when no one came in for him he knew he had to stay here

Enjoy your new challenge at the end of the season Pete

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #596 on: September 04, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
What annoys me is the welcome we gave him was better than that given to any player in our history.
At the end of that season he had scored 15 goals and asked for a better contract.Fair enough,i don't begrudge him that,no one has scored that many goals for us in the prem.

So he signs another contract,4 years was it,then towards the end of that season he starts becoming disinterested again and there were rumours,and i say only rumours of our players not getting on with him and a dust up with SC.

Now the window has shut and he knows he is stuck here until at least January,he has said he wanted to move all along,which proves that there was unrest,but say's it was because he didn't know if he could perform at this level,which i think is rubbish.He wants more money,he might as well say it.

Now,i think he will put a shift in so as to sell himself to another club,so be prepared for more of this in January or next summer.

Personally,if he is on form i would play him,but i would search out a replacement for him the sooner the better.

This guy is one bad egg.

Good Albion player yes,Albion hero,never.

I feel sorry for people like Brunt and Long who work hard for the team and have never asked for a move,and yet get continually picked on by some of our fans,while Mr Odemwingie can't be talked about.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: September 04, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
Im on this forum quite a lot and read pretty much every article on Albion so can someone tell me what he has done wrong with any proof?

Because tbf Divine you have just called him a bad egg at the club because of rumours.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #598 on: September 04, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
It is obvious he was trying to get more money out of the Albion or a move away for more money!

Then when no one came in for him he knew he had to stay here

Enjoy your new challenge at the end of the season Pete
Lets face it there is no real loyalty in football any more. Not like in the days of Astle, Brown and Cantello etc. where they stayed with clubs because they became part of that club.

You cant blame PO, or any of the others (Jonas for instance......he is trying to ramp up his contract). Just celebrate we have some decent players who can bring The Albion a bit of success!
Don't call me Walt

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #599 on: September 04, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Im on this forum quite a lot and read pretty much every article on Albion so can someone tell me what he has done wrong with any proof?

Because tbf Divine you have just called him a bad egg at the club because of rumours.

Only through what has been reported by Pete himself or his agent.

There was i recall a fan from this site who met Pete in a service station after a game against Wigan,and was blanked by him(Pete) and told to go away by his minders.

If you watch his body language in games it's all about him,not the team.If he misses a chance his head goes down and he mopes for a few minutes.

To be fair though that was a great ball against Everton.

I am Albion through and through and no player is bigger than this club,so if i see the best squad we have had since 1978 in danger of being disrupted i get annoyed.