Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 636754 times)

the rainbow turn east

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #475 on: August 24, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
We cant let him go yet as it would be to much of a gamble, I say wait until the next transfer window for
us to see if Rosenberg,Lukaku, and Long can cut the mustard .
I dont even know why he`d consider moving from the Albion as we`ll going to be a top 6 team.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
Well if he goes i fear for our survival.Whos going to get his potential goals then
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
We have several forward options but Pete is the only one that is really effective in that right wing position. If we are to continue with the 433 system it would be madness to let him go without a direct replacement.

Cant agree Nocky. Gera and Fortune can both play this position as can Morrison at a push.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Fletcher goes for £14m then Odemwingie goes for £6m............................Rocking Horse Poo

Aye. £6 million is nothing to us compared with PO's goals.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:54:31 PM by GrGr »

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2012, 05:55:59 PM »
im sure JP will price him out of anyone's reach. the way the club is run means we wont be railroaded into selling any of our players unless they want to go of course

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #480 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
I thought he was settled, new home,wife, baby etc.Is all this just rubbish again or is there any substance
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
I thought he was settled, new home,wife, baby etc.Is all this just rubbish again or is there any substance

Normal rubbish. I'm sure lots of clubs want PO, I'm equally sure none will meet JP's evaluation because they would be taken to the cleaners worse then O'Neill was.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: August 24, 2012, 05:59:59 PM »
Cant agree Nocky. Gera and Fortune can both play this position as can Morrison at a push.
They can play in the position but they dont carry the same threat in terms of pace, trickery and ability to finish with either foot.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #483 on: August 24, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
Really would be a big blow for our season, if he was to go now.  I hope its just another rubbish rumour.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #484 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
They can play in the position but they dont carry the same threat in terms of pace, trickery and ability to finish with either foot.

Not sure Gera would agree with you after Saturdays corker!.................. ;)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: August 24, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »
I remain to be convinced how effective he'll be playing wide right, as I don't think he likes playing there very much and he can become a bit anonymous if he's not 100% motivated.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #486 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
I remain to be convinced how effective he'll be playing wide right, as I don't think he likes playing there very much and he can become a bit anonymous if he's not 100% motivated.

Personally I think Odemwingie is better than Long up top, but Long is many times worse than Odemwingie on the right so Peter ends up playing on the right by default.

However, I believe in the new system with more or less three centerforwards on the left, center and right none of them will play as a traditional winger. That is why we are looking at fast fullbacks like Martin Olsson.

A final point, Liverpool made sure there was no space for Odemwingie to operate in on the right. They had a lot of bodies there so there simply was nowhere for him to run and speed is PO's best weapon as we know. Gera and Ridgewell had a far easier time going forward as the Liverpool right wasn't as congested. Unfortunately Gera looks to have lost a step, if not his quality, after the injuries.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #487 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
Personally I think Odemwingie is better than Long up top, but Long is many times worse than Odemwingie on the right so Peter ends up playing on the right by default.

However, I believe in the new system with more or less three centerforwards on the left, center and right none of them will play as a traditional winger. That is why we are looking at fast fullbacks like Martin Olsson.

A final point, Liverpool made sure there was no space for Odemwingie to operate in on the right. They had a lot of bodies there so there simply was nowhere for him to run and speed is PO's best weapon as we know. Gera and Ridgewell had a far easier time going forward as the Liverpool right wasn't as congested. Unfortunately Gera looks to have lost a step, if not his quality, after the injuries.

I dont really compare Long and PO as centre forwards as they are totally different types of players each able to do a good job there in their own way. I think a lot will depend on the tactics for any given match as to how SC uses them

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #488 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »

I agree with everything you posted apart from Gera losing a step. It's going to take Gera a few weeks to get back to his best. He's had an awful time with injuries, but as he doesn't rely on pace more on his natural ability and intelligence, he should get back to his best soon.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #489 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
Only think about selling Pete if he generated enough funds to sign Lukaku. Which he wouldn't!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #490 on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »
We've waited years to find a goalscorer in this division, now we have one we're not suddenly going to let him go. Even though we live in an inflated market, I just cannot see clubs willing to stump up the money we would want for a 31 year old. If they did, well, then, they're just plain stupid to be honest. It is, in my opinion, that Peter Odemwingie is without doubt the best player at this football club and keeping him should have been another priority this summer. The fact he signed an improved contract last season means we hold all the cards and if West Ham and Sunderland are serious about him then they better make their move quickly.

We sold goalscorers in recent times and never replaced them. I don't think JP would wish to make that mistake at a time when his reputation is high with the supporters.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #491 on: August 25, 2012, 09:41:15 AM »
I would be dismayed if we sold him or Shane Long and for whatever the money.This is the best squad we have had for years and we should be improving it not weakening it.

Pete drives me up the wall with his attitude at times,but he is a better scorer than Fletcher imo.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #492 on: August 25, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
I would be dismayed if we sold him or Shane Long and for whatever the money.This is the best squad we have had for years and we should be improving it not weakening it.

Pete drives me up the wall with his attitude at times,but he is a better scorer than Fletcher imo.

Pete also has the one attribute that we lack too much.... Pace.

It is an area you can see that Clarke has tried to address, and for that reason long and pete cannot go.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Reddiebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #493 on: August 25, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
Odemwingie not in starting line up today Ominous.

michaelwh

« Reply #494 on: August 25, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
Injured and doesnt play today.Anybody aware of what the injury is.Sounds like a classic case of not wanting to got injured before transfer.

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2012, 02:32:11 PM »
He has a groin injury picked up in training.

michaelwh

« Reply #496 on: August 25, 2012, 02:37:11 PM »
As much as I hate his attitude,the team just doesn't carry the same threat without him.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: August 25, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »
Injured and doesnt play today.Anybody aware of what the injury is.Sounds like a classic case of not wanting to got injured before transfer.

what transfer?

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #498 on: August 25, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
I've not read or heard any clubs after over the last couple of days either. I hope is injury isnt that bad.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #499 on: August 25, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »
When any other player is injured they're injured, but when Peter 'attitude' Odemwingie is injured he's just faking it because he's moving to another club. There's no way he could have actually picked up an injury in training like players often do, what an absurd idea.