Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635630 times)

GrGr

• WBA Coach

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #400 on: July 22, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the last two posts. If we lose Odemwingie we will struggle to stay in the Prem. His goals and general contribution have been one of the biggest reasons we have had such success over the last 2 seasons.

Without a doubt. Genuine PL strikers like PO are like gold dust. I'd far rather have him than money in the bank. And I notice the 'grab the money and reinvest' comments are very short of giving alternatives to PO. There simply is not a large supply of quality strikers for a club our size, and with our economy, who are guaranteed to do the job PO has been doing well for the last two seasons for the money we can pay.

We were very lucky to land PO. If it was that easy to replace him we would already have had another player of his calibre on the books, but we do not, for the obvious reason there is none to be had. 

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Does nobody remember the Mowbray season in the PL?

You cannot stay up without a genuine premier league striker. Pete is the only striker we have who has consistently shown that he is up to that standard.

I don't understand the general dislike of him, seems that much of the 'wanting to move' in the transfer window is agent driven.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #402 on: July 22, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
Without a doubt. Genuine PL strikers like PO are like gold dust. I'd far rather have him than money in the bank. And I notice the 'grab the money and reinvest' comments are very short of giving alternatives to PO. There simply is not a large supply of quality strikers for a club our size, and with our economy, who are guaranteed to do the job PO has been doing well for the last two seasons for the money we can pay.

We were very lucky to land PO. If it was that easy to replace him we would already have had another player of his calibre on the books, but we do not, for the obvious reason there is none to be had.

Peter Odemwingie £1.5 million Andy Carroll £35 million..says it all really doesnt it?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
If we can stay up another season then maybe we can replace Pete but theres no way we are ready to do that now,for all his shoulder shrugs etc we need Odemwingie.
Somebody quoted Sunderland selling Gyan,i don't think they have replaced him properly yet even with that huge fee they got and they are a more established club than us.
Don't make a huge mistake Albion.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »
If we can stay up another season then maybe we can replace Pete but theres no way we are ready to do that now,for all his shoulder shrugs etc we need Odemwingie.
Somebody quoted Sunderland selling Gyan,i don't think they have replaced him properly yet even with that huge fee they got and they are a more established club than us.
Don't make a huge mistake Albion.
I would not want to sell Odemwingie now but by 2014 he will have left the club.

The fact is we will not offer a 33 year old a long term contract at £40,000 a week, however provided his form has not dropped off a cliff someone will. With this in mind we have 3 transfer windows where there will be some speculation about his future.

My view is that at the point his form dips and he is not a regular starter he will be sold in the next window. Otherwise the club will not sell unless there is too good to turn down money on the table and what constitutes too good to turn down money will diminish over time. In the current window my guess is no offer of less than £8m would be entertained and the clock is ticking at the point where we cannot line up a potential replacement then almost no amount of money will persuade us to sell.

The only comfort I can offer in comparison to Sunderland who seemed to have completely ambushed by Gyan's falling out with Bruce and Campbel''s long term injury, is that this scenario is predictable and hopefully the recruitment team have potential targets on the radar should Odemwingie or any other player be subject to a huge bid because at some point in time it will happen.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »
The Odemwinge rumours have re-surfaced in today's Sun:

PETER ODEMWINGIE is a £4.5million target for Sunderland and Fulham.
West Brom want £6m for the striker, 31, but are likely to accept less.
Nigerian Odemwingie has hit 25 goals in 54 Prem starts for Baggies.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2012, 03:27:54 AM »
PETER ODEMWINGIE is a £4.5million target for Sunderland and Fulham.
West Brom want £6m for the striker, 31, but are unlikely to accept less.
Nigerian Odemwingie has hit 25 goals in 54 Prem starts for Baggies.

Is OK

I corrected it for them ;)

and another

The Sun is expecting to actually have a factual byline sometime in the next decade.
Until then they hope to just make somemore stuff up to annoy Fans from Clubs they don't care about.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:30:56 AM by Aixelsyd »
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
I would have thought it very unlikely that we would sell Odemwingie to a Premier League team for not much more than the Arabs offered and even £6m would not tempt us. The only grain of truth in the story in the Sun is that both Fulham and Sunderland are probably looking for a striker. I remain convinced that we will not sell at the prices quoted unless the player makes it clear that he wants a move.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Theres people on this forum who wouldnt take 8million for Long and i would want twice for odemwingie as twice the player. we would be mad to sell until we have another top draw striker
O Albion we love you

RICH ONE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
The Dingles want over 10 million for Fletcher so why should we sell Peter for less ?. Fulham came on the wrong side of Mr Peace when they were conned when they brought Kamara. God help them if they bid for Peter.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #410 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
The Odemwinge rumours just won't go away. Tonight it is again reported that the oil rich Qatari side Al-Gharafa have made a bid for him. Is this the same story we read about previously, or is it a new bid? If it is, and money talks eventually, then Odemwinge could be on his way.
West Brom manager Steve Clarke says the Baggies have turned down a bid for striker Peter Odemwingie from a non-English club.
The Nigeria international, contracted at the Hawthorns until June 2014, is thought to be on the radar of Qatari side Al-Gharafa this summer.
Clarke says Albion have rejected an offer for the 31-year-old, who joined the Midlanders from Lokomotiv Moscow in 2010.
He told Sky Sports: "There was one bid came in for Peter. It wasn't from an English club and we turned it down, so I think that says enough."
Odemwingie has also been linked with Fulham and Sunderland this summer and Clarke accepts his key players will inevitably attract transfer talk.
"I think you're always going to have speculation about your good players," he added.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: August 03, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
those quotes were from weeks ago, now apparently Fulham and Southampton are after him, but then i think thats from the sun. right next to the new manager of QPR is the flying spaghetti monster!

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »
I think we should take it as a compliment that other teams are coveting our players. It says a lot about how far our squad has progressed. Bottom line is we are under no pressure to sell anyone so it would take top doller. If someone offered £8 to £10 million then at 31 you might have to consider it. Otherwise he's going nowhere.

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Don't rule out Qatar just yet.
Unspoilt By Progress

Turkish baggie

« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »
What ever the pro's and con's of PO ever leaving are, one thing for sure is without a top class goal scorer an team will struggle! Albion will be no different.

Albions history is littered with daft transfers of our strikers when the replacements were inadequate!

Thompson & Bull go and we get garth crooks and varadi! This is the best examples of getting something wrong. Mind you it was that prat saunders!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #415 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
Just heard the Moose on Talksport said he could be on his way to Sunderland for 3 Milliion :o
Victor Anchbe from Everton coming our way(if thats how you spell his name).
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #416 on: August 04, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
I just cant see us selling Odemwingie if the club are correct and no fall out has taken place.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Anchiebe as Everton seem to be having a mini clearout.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #417 on: August 04, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
I just cant see us selling Odemwingie if the club are correct and no fall out has taken place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Anchiebe as Everton seem to be having a mini clearout.
I agree DL,i cant see the club selling one of our best players just before the season starts particularly as its Clarke's first.I wouldn't mind seeing Anchiebe here.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
Anichebe is pretty poor from what I've seen of him (yet he always seems to score against us).

We were linked with Connor Wickham earlier in the summer so if there is any truth in the rumour then wouldn't be surprised if we try to do some sort of deal involving him, not sure where people get a 3 million valuation of Odemwingie from though  ::)

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
Anchiebe had a decent season for Everton last year 6 goals in 16 games his best return yet. Hes only 24 so is still developing in my view would offer some good competition for the role Fortune plays.

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2012, 10:35:41 AM »
Just heard the Moose on Talksport said he could be on his way to Sunderland for 3 Milliion :o
Victor Anchbe from Everton coming our way(if thats how you spell his name).

Ha ha ha - the Moose is prize prat.
Twitter: @floydy1983

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
Just heard the Moose on Talksport said he could be on his way to Sunderland for 3 Milliion :oVictor Anchbe from Everton coming our way(if thats how you spell his name).

£3 million wouldnt buy his boots. >:( it must be a slow day for news.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
Anchiebe had a decent season for Everton last year 6 goals in 16 games his best return yet. Hes only 24 so is still developing in my view would offer some good competition for the role Fortune plays.

weren't half of those goals against us though ?

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »
He only scored 2 against us so it would still be  4 goals in 14 games last season not that bad a return.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
Lets face facts if they really want him they will get him as they just have too much money and there would be a limit as to what we could realistically turn down.
Gera, Gera, Gera