Author Topic: WM Football Phone In.  (Read 16550 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

WM Football Phone In.
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:17:07 PM »
So I've been listening to this online while I've been off work last week, we come off terribly on it compared to fans of the other W. Mids clubs? Who on earth is phoning in?

Thought this could become a regular thread to discuss the Albion related calls on there. I've barely agreed with one call this past week, from numerous people calling for Shan to remain in situ, to someone saying Moyes and Puel the only obvious choices. The mind boggles.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: WM Football Phone In.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:18 PM »
So I've been listening to this online while I've been off work last week, we come off terribly on it compared to fans of the other W. Mids clubs? Who on earth is phoning in?

Thought this could become a regular thread to discuss the Albion related calls on there. I've barely agreed with one call this past week, from numerous people calling for Shan to remain in situ, to someone saying Moyes and Puel the only obvious choices. The mind boggles.

People clammered for Moore to be appointed so go figure. Sadly it’s those who hold such opinions that seem to shout loudest and have lives dull enough to spend it calling in to these things, the only hope is that the board learn from their recent mistake and avoid going down that route.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »

It's not a discussion programme, it's designed to be controversial. Not worth listening to IMO.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:12:14 AM »
It's not a discussion programme, it's designed to be controversial. Not worth listening to IMO.

On the contrary, they give the fan the opportunity to make themselves look stupid before the smug presenters confirm it. Unlike TalkSport this is entirely down to the caller rather than the presenter.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:20 AM »
Every platform for people to speak their mind will always involve opinions you disagree with. Saying they make themselves look stupid because they have a different opinion is a bit much. And if you dislike the programme so much I'm not sure why you listen. I turn callers down who spout rubbish but I'm not bothered if their opinion reflects badly on me as an Albion fan. They're the ones that sound daft. Ultimately what's said, be it utterly ridiculous or simply breathtaking, it won't make an ounce of difference to the team's performance.

There are deluded people in every avenue of life. I'd much rather listen to the radio where i can turn it down than hear some of the nonsense i hear at matches around me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:44:40 AM »
Every platform for people to speak their mind will always involve opinions you disagree with. Saying they make themselves look stupid because they have a different opinion is a bit much. And if you dislike the programme so much I'm not sure why you listen. I turn callers down who spout rubbish but I'm not bothered if their opinion reflects badly on me as an Albion fan. They're the ones that sound daft. Ultimately what's said, be it utterly ridiculous or simply breathtaking, it won't make an ounce of difference to the team's performance.

There are deluded people in every avenue of life. I'd much rather listen to the radio where i can turn it down than hear some of the nonsense i hear at matches around me.

I like the show? Hopefully no one off here is a regular caller though...

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:14 AM »

I like the show? Hopefully no one off here is a regular caller though...

Oh ok Jacko. I thought you disliked it because you said about the smug presenters.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 06:15:25 AM »
Can tell you are 'not from round here' or a long time listener to WM Jacko, the main presenter, Franksie, is thought (known?) to be a died in the wool doghead and callers are generally regulars and their views well known to the producers/presenters and held in a queue and they are very selective about who gets to actually speak on air. They try to be a poor mans talkshite and steer conversations accordingly
There is a very sensible Baggie called Van who talks well but I suspect typically only in the post match sections and a very strange guy called Eddie who generally talks bo**ocks. Enjoy your listening
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:45:02 AM »
I used to prefer listening to Tom Ross’s phone in when he was on Xtra Am/Gold/Free etc

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »
I used to prefer listening to Tom Ross’s phone in when he was on Xtra Am/Gold/Free etc

I used to like Rossie too.
I listen to WM, usually on the way home in the car.
Got to say I do like listening to the various views, I've been listening to it for some time now so I like to think that I can pull the wheat from the chaff.
As someone said they are very selective on the ones they let on air.
It's a mixture of balanced and extreme views, but hey it's entertainment.
Same as this board really if everybody agreed all the time there would be no point in it's existence.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:48 AM »
I’m a huge fan, Eddie makes me laugh out loud, I have an image of him, I would love to see what he really looks like

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
Haven't listened in years , is Lee from Kingswinford still around ? :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 08:15:03 AM »
I haven’t really listened to local radio for years, since the days of Tony Butler and his prayer mat and Tom Ross.

It was entertaining and funny, but then you got the same old voices trotting out the same old nonsense and it became boring and annoying. Thank goodness for the off switch or volume control.

Now, listening, would be a waste of battery life and electricity as it is no longer entertaining or funny any more imo.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
WM seems to have the same people calling on the odd occasion I've listened (when I lived abroad mainly just to hear the accent when I was missing home!).

As for content, it's pretty dire really but I suppose they get enough listeners to continue doing the same.  George Gavin did something for a while in the 90s , which was mainly a time for us to bash the club so that worked.

Maybe the club are scared stiff (rightfully probably) but it would be good to have engaging debate with club people and fans involved on air. That would be worth a listen from time to time! There used to be fans forums aired and they provided insight into coaches and the club's thinking.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
Stopped listening about a year ago general dirge and full of know it alls like Alan the vile fan is he still around?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
Stopped listening about a year ago general dirge and full of know it alls like Alan the vile fan is he still around?

The problem is that I think the producers realise that these people are nuts but listeners like to hear them make prats of themselves. Bit like X Factor.

Yes, Alan is still around.
Never forget the time the vile drew Bradford in the semi final of the League Cup and that to$$er was that cock sure of the mighty vile winning he booked (and paid for his hotel) for the final.
Guess what?  :D
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »
The problem is that I think the producers realise that these people are nuts but listeners like to hear them make prats of themselves. Bit like X Factor.

Yes, Alan is still around.
Never forget the time the vile drew Bradford in the semi final of the League Cup and that to$$er was that cock sure of the mighty vile winning he booked (and paid for his hotel) for the final.
Guess what?  :D
Thanks for reminding us of vile v Bradford those matches especially the second leg have to be two of the most enjoyable matches I have watched in recent times., happy memories  :D.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 11:24:00 AM »
Car crash radio, or at least it was when I used to listen in. Something which I haven't done for years now. They did a live to air post match show years ago. It was probably around the time we caught the Dings in that season. Anyway, a pal of mine rang up for a laugh and managed to get on air. He was presenting a well reasoned and balanced view point about something or other and Franksie was doing his best to trip him and lead him up the garden path but was failing dismally. My pal rounded off by telling him nobody wanted to hear his views (Franksie's) as the listeners were the real stars of the show and 'you're a w@nker anyway Franksie'  :P - it went out live on air before they switched straight to another caller  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
Trouble with Ross was the fans never got much airplay on the show instead what we got was Ross and his ex pro guests waffling on for 95â„… of the show.used to email him and point this out but got ignored

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »
Love WM.  Always listen to it on my way home from work.  There are some nutters on it though.

Tom Ross' fan running order was Blues, Villa, Blues, Albion, Blues, Villa, Blues, Albion Blues.  Best thing was he had Bomber co-commentating on match days but WM have got him now.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
Never really listened to WM.   Used to love listening to Tom Ross.   What is he doing nowadays?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Never really listened to WM.   Used to love listening to Tom Ross.   What is he doing nowadays?

TalkSport West Midlands Correspondent last time I heard.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
I’m a huge fan, Eddie makes me laugh out loud, I have an image of him, I would love to see what he really looks like

Eddie is a smashing chap , one of life’s characters in a bizarre twist of fate I was sat next to him against Crystal Palace when we got promoted and then at Wembley for the Cup Semi final against Pompey .

He used to watch Oldbury United and I will never forget one night when it was about 0 degrees and I swear he had slip on shoes with no socks on his feet .

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
Eddie is a smashing chap , one of life’s characters in a bizarre twist of fate I was sat next to him against Crystal Palace when we got promoted and then at Wembley for the Cup Semi final against Pompey .

He used to watch Oldbury United and I will never forget one night when it was about 0 degrees and I swear he had slip on shoes with no socks on his feet .

Eddie Winkett was it ? Remember him well

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:41 PM »
Eddie Winkett was it ? Remember him well
Yes affectionaly known at Oldbury Utd by the players as Worzel.
My old man was the manager of Oldbury  mid 80s and Eddie was involved - villa fans used to wind him up really bad - so passionate about the Albion - used to take me up to watch - always manages to blag tickets off Tony Morley and George Riley!
Too man is Eddie