Author Topic: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD  (Read 98807 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »
Thought Havertz looked a real talent..

If you had to pick his position (only one) what would you put him as ?

A difficult question but I would say the number 10 position. An absolute playmaker but knows where the goal is. Reminds me of Periera with his creativity, there is no doubt he has a big future and I see that Liverpool are interested.

Skybet had Havertz 5/1 as the FGS last night - thank you :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:30:01 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2020, 02:15:49 PM »
If Liverpool are interested, Havertz would be the ideal replacement for Firmino in the false 9 or as a more traditional "10" in a different set up.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
St Pauli for me too. I found out all about them when I was over in Hamburg many years ago and have followed their fortunes ever since. Personally, I quite like their strip but can understand that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. They have historic connections with Celtic too.
Although I know Hamburg very well, I've always watched Hamburger SV when I've been there. Its a strange rivalry they have because HSV's traditional rivals are Werder Bremen.
Pauli are the smaller club in terms of crowds, but they have a bit of a cult following. Their produce is sold everywhere, whereas HSV's can only be bought in club shops. There are some amusing anecdotes involving Pauli fans. The left wing image goes right up to board level as they opened up the pitch for demonstrators when the G7 was held in the city, as the police were moving them on from sleeping in parks.  Being situated in the red-light district, the players were often in the headlines for the wrong reasons, all-night benders etc. but I believe that's going back several years.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
A difficult question but I would say the number 10 position. An absolute playmaker but knows where the goal is. Reminds me of Periera with his creativity, there is no doubt he has a big future and I see that Liverpool are interested.

Skybet had Havertz 5/1 as the FGS last night - thank you :)
It is difficult to put him in a number
I think he’s more direct than Pererira, almost like a Rooney type.....I had him anytime and to win by more than one 😉
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55:12 PM »
It is difficult to put him in a number
I think he’s more direct than Pererira, almost like a Rooney type.....I had him anytime and to win by more than one 😉

The bloke must be a nightmare to mark, two great headers yesterday but he has a great shot on him. A very exciting prospect.
MAGA!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »
The bloke must be a nightmare to mark, two great headers yesterday but he has a great shot on him. A very exciting prospect.
60m easy I’d say

Tonight BATE started to pull away at the top of the Belarusian premier
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
Breaking: La Liga can resume from 8 June, Spain's prime minister says
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2020, 06:49:07 PM »
C'mon Frankfurt! 30 down away at Bayern after 46 mins. Now 3-2 with 35 mins to go.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2020, 06:53:56 PM »
Cursed it 4 2

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2020, 07:26:37 PM »
C'mon Frankfurt! 30 down away at Bayern after 46 mins. Now 3-2 with 35 mins to go.
30 down...terrible defending?😀

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »
My typing/auto-correct is atrocious today!  ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2020, 09:43:12 PM »
See Havertz notched another brace today. Will be on the move in the next window.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:51 PM »
See Havertz notched another brace today. Will be on the move in the next window.
He’s good, but so are Leverkusen ...should make champs league in which he is a guaranteed starter....and don’t right them off winning the league just yet ...Bayern have Dortmund next then Leverkusen

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2020, 04:14:49 AM »

For certain, either this or next. Leverkusen always seem to just hover around...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
For certain, either this or next. Leverkusen always seem to just hover around...
They looked good yesterday, though having M'Gladbach sympathies I was disappointed with the result.
The biggest problem with the Bundesliga is providing strong enough competition for Bayern. They have the financial clout and reputation to cream off the best players in Germany. Dortmund may be in with a chance, Leipzig have an excellent young coach (I think younger than some of his players) and then Leverkusen and Gladbach are outsiders.
That said, I'm watching most games on BT Sport and finding the standard good, also with lots of goals, (with the exception of Hamburger SV playing a 0-0 this lunchtime)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

breakfastbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2020, 08:45:11 PM »
Cursed it 4 2

As a Canadian I can't help but cheer for Bayern.  Alphonso Davies is the best football player Canada has ever had by miles.  Our second best player ever might be Jonathan David who just won the goal scoring title in Belgium.  We are a country that just wants to qualify for the world cup having only made it once.  With a 19 year old Alphonso Davies and a 20 year old Jonathan David there's hope for the future!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »
As a Canadian I can't help but cheer for Bayern.  Alphonso Davies is the best football player Canada has ever had by miles.  Our second best player ever might be Jonathan David who just won the goal scoring title in Belgium.  We are a country that just wants to qualify for the world cup having only made it once.  With a 19 year old Alphonso Davies and a 20 year old Jonathan David there's hope for the future!

I hope it all works out for you. It's a fantastic event to be involved in even though we always fail at the knockouts.

Can i ask why you chose to support the mighty WBA out of interest?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »

Pesch for me...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2020, 09:31:27 PM »
Pesch for me...

His daughter, Sophia Peschisolido, for me.  :o :o :o :-X

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
Carl Valentine

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2020, 12:01:36 AM »
His daughter, Sophia Peschisolido, for me.  :o :o :o :-X

I feel like Steptoe junior's dad now but seen and observed........  ;D .

https://youtu.be/X1VgcxE9Lpw
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
She's very striking!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2020, 01:38:50 PM »

North America do seem to be coming to the party now with some of the players coming through. Davies is getting hyped by European journalists, which is always a good sign, as is Gio Reyna at Dortmund, Pulisic at Chelsea (even with his slow start) and a crop of teenagers across Europe (like Jonathan David).

You do wonder if in 20 years time the North will be rivalling the South. A lot of ground to make up, but there is more money there at youth level.
Boing Boing

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
North America do seem to be coming to the party now with some of the players coming through. Davies is getting hyped by European journalists, which is always a good sign, as is Gio Reyna at Dortmund, Pulisic at Chelsea (even with his slow start) and a crop of teenagers across Europe (like Jonathan David).

You do wonder if in 20 years time the North will be rivalling the South. A lot of ground to make up, but there is more money there at youth level.
My only concern is that if 'soccer' becomes established as the No. 1 sport in the US, they will probably become the most powerful league in the world, and will start to impose some radical changes in how football is played and organised. Whilst I am all in favour of entertainment and seeing goals, the Americans may want to tinker with the basics, like enlarging the goals. Neither do they seem to like the concept of draws, nor the idea of promotion and relegation.  So whilst its good to see US players doing well, I hope it doesn't reach the stage where money and power gets concentrated over there, as I think it will change the character of football into another game.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »
........ the Americans may want to tinker with the basics, like enlarging the goals.........

This was suggested as a possible change on Talk Sport some time ago. I forget which presenter now but his rationale was that it would be logical given how much bigger goalkeepers are today than when the game began.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.