Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164760 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #19150 on: March 23, 2023, 12:51:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFLyZKPihI

Watched a bit of this the other day where he's mostly talking about his time as Stoke.

However, he did mention Gnabry and Berahino with us. With Gnabry, he pointed out that he'd barely played for Arsenal despite being with them since age 14 and he basically didn't try whilst with us. He also said he was happy he'd gone to achieve success and that perhaps getting sold by Arsenal kick-started his career.

I actually agree with him on this, despite the fact it often gets bought up that he mis-used him. As he says, if they guy isn't training and isn't bothered then what are you meant to do?

Regarding Berahino, he also said how it was sad that he threw his career away and could have done a lot better.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19151 on: March 23, 2023, 01:40:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFLyZKPihI

Watched a bit of this the other day where he's mostly talking about his time as Stoke.

However, he did mention Gnabry and Berahino with us. With Gnabry, he pointed out that he'd barely played for Arsenal despite being with them since age 14 and he basically didn't try whilst with us. He also said he was happy he'd gone to achieve success and that perhaps getting sold by Arsenal kick-started his career.

I actually agree with him on this, despite the fact it often gets bought up that he mis-used him. As he says, if they guy isn't training and isn't bothered then what are you meant to do?

Regarding Berahino, he also said how it was sad that he threw his career away and could have done a lot better.

Isnt it a part of a coaches job to find a way to get players performing whatever it takes, The coward also failed to get a tune out of Jermaine Pennant. 
You will gather that I give the person no credit for anything, he broke our club and will never be forgiven for that, by myself.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19152 on: March 23, 2023, 04:14:05 PM »
Isnt it a part of a coaches job to find a way to get players performing whatever it takes, The coward also failed to get a tune out of Jermaine Pennant. 
You will gather that I give the person no credit for anything, he broke our club and will never be forgiven for that, by myself.
It’s impossible for all coaches regardless of standing or quality…to get all players performing .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19153 on: March 23, 2023, 05:36:04 PM »

I disagree. If a player doesn't want to train properly then they are solely accountable for their actions. I understand your point and Pulis wasn't exactly known for developing attacking players - but still, Arsenal shouldn't have gone near him if he was that bad a coach.

Pennant is a bit of a strange example too, seeing as his best career spell was at Stoke. This is where he had his most consistent spell and played most of his football during his career. In fact, many people at the time said Pulis redeveloped him and Etherington on the wings. Last month, Pennant also said that his career failures were entirely his fault. Further, you could claim that Pulis worked wonders with Ricardo Fuller who was known as an inconsistent hothead before going to Stoke.

I don't believe Pulis broke our club. We were in disarray before he arrived with Irvine taking us down and an awful window that tried (and failed massively) to replicate Ashworth's previous transfer policy. Pulis was akin to dancing with the devil for a few years and he improved us post-Irvine.
As mentioned though, we probably kept Pulis for one season too long and gave him too much power in the end. Nonetheless, I think others had more to blame than him - such as Irvine, Pardew, Lai etc.