Author Topic: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal  (Read 124138 times)

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Serge Gnabry Joins on loan
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
What a waste of time that was.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
Good riddance. Now lets go get Debuchy in on loan.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
It seems rare these type of loans work out doesn't it (that is young upcoming players from so called big teams). James Wilson was touted for a while and he's hardly set the world alight so far in the championship. I take away that if a young loan player isn't already regularly playing for another premier league team as a sub or in cups then he's unlikely to make a mark here. Gnabry made 10 appearances for Arsenal's first team in three years (most of one year he was injured) so he wasn't exactly knocking on the door of their team so it seems we took a 'punt' with him?

We need to buy quality or loan more established players if they're to add something to our first team..........especially in the attacking areas

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
It seems rare these type of loans work out doesn't it (that is young upcoming players from so called big teams). James Wilson was touted for a while and he's hardly set the world alight so far in the championship. I take away that if a young loan player isn't already regularly playing for another premier league team as a sub or in cups then he's unlikely to make a mark here. Gnabry made 10 appearances for Arsenal's first team in three years (most of one year he was injured) so he wasn't exactly knocking on the door of their team so it seems we took a 'punt' with him?

We need to buy quality or loan more established players if they're to add something to our first team..........especially in the attacking areas

Be interesting to see if Arsenal are willing to loan us another player.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
I said all along this wouldn't work out. He's not a Pulis player, and I was especially convinced of this after the Port Vale game - he kept drifting inside to try and pick up the space, but Pulis wants him wide and stuck in position.

He might make a decent player, but he needs the right team / manager.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2016, 12:54:45 PM »
I said all along this wouldn't work out. He's not a Pulis player, and I was especially convinced of this after the Port Vale game - he kept drifting inside to try and pick up the space, but Pulis wants him wide and stuck in position.

He might make a decent player, but he needs the right team / manager.

Not protecting his full back enough then!  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Very disappointed with the lad, if you can't get in a team in your preferred position ahead of Gardner you need to go back to the drawing board. Extremely talented apparently but obviously nothing upstairs.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
Jay Simpson was another regarded as a great talent - been playing in the lower divisions most of his career since us and Hull gave him a chance at a higher level. Not all players with potential are a) as good as they seem at youth level b) have the character to kick on. Therefore, they either get stuck 'between' youth and first teams or drop down the divisions.............maybe this will happen to Berahino if he's not careful!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
Good riddance. Now lets go get Debuchy in on loan.

Might be wrong, but I just can't see Debuchy fitting in with us. Pulis has James Chester as an understudy to Craig Dawson, so I can't see why he'd want to bring in a wing back. IMO they'll try for Andros Townsend, on loan with an option to buy.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »
Pulis has tweaked the formation to allow for wingbacks rather than an out and out right winger recently so I could see Debuchy fitting in, leaving Chester/ Dawson as part of the back three CBs............I wonder why he didn't try Gamboa who was the best wing back at the last world cup? Another story......

Gunners

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »
Well that was a waste of every ones time lol.

We could do with him right now anyway as Oxlade-Chamberlain is awful.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
No surprise he has gone back. No point keeping him here if he's got no chance of playing it helps no one.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
Pulis has tweaked the formation to allow for wingbacks rather than an out and out right winger recently so I could see Debuchy fitting in, leaving Chester/ Dawson as part of the back three CBs............I wonder why he didn't try Gamboa who was the best wing back at the last world cup? Another story......
To be fair he only play with 3 centre backs for 10 minutes away at Swansea during which we were dreadful. I've been to Swansea and the two home games and it was definitely a back 4 for all but that opening at Swansea.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Think it's more Pulis than him, hope he goes elsewhere and shows what he can do in a team that will play him.
Was surprised at the time Arsenal loaned us a player and be even more surprised if we get another from them whilst Pulis is here
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I remember when it was Irvine's fault when Varela didn't work out and Clarke's fault when El Ghannasey didn't work out. I'd suggest it's more to do with Gnabry not applying himself correctly than Pulis not liking flair players which has been proven a myth with the inclusion of Sessegnon. 
the regime don't like it man

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »
Think it's more Pulis than him, hope he goes elsewhere and shows what he can do in a team that will play him.
Was surprised at the time Arsenal loaned us a player and be even more surprised if we get another from them whilst Pulis is here

I was too given the history between Pulis and Wenger plus our style of play. That said I thought it was a poor signing at the time given his fitness level and the fact he'd been injured for most of last season. At least it frees up a squad place and a wage hopefully for someone else to come in.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »
I was too given the history between Pulis and Wenger plus our style of play. That said I thought it was a poor signing at the time given his fitness level and the fact he'd been injured for most of last season. At least it frees up a squad place and a wage hopefully for someone else to come in.

Possibly Wenger felt he needed toughening up? Bears out seeing how badly he's done that his application is not right, no-one doubts his potential, but that's all it is, potential.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »

Given that Wenger said that Gnabry needed to do more then maybe the player is solely to blame.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
Much as I hate to pass up the chance for a bit of Pulis bashing  ;) I think this down to the player given the lack of players Pulis trusts in the wide positions Gnabry could have pushed his way into the side with a bit of application. Genuinely disappointed by him and I wonder where he is heading from here it will be interesting to see what happens in his career.

Aside from Lukaku's season here I am struggling to remember another youngster loaned from the big clubs to another Premier League Club that has been a success. Caulker did alright at Swansea when loaned from Spurs but I think that was the same year we had Rom otherwise I'm struggling.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
I remember Jack Wilshire being a success at Bolton a few years ago but as you say there aren't many successful loans of younger players, maybe with a big contract with the parent club they don't feel the need to impress. I heard a rumour (not that I listen to much of what I hear regarding Albion) that Gnabry wasn't happy from the start and that he felt insulted being loaned out to us and his attitude was wrong from day one.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »
Bolton got a tune out of a few, Wilshere, Sturridge.

Cleverley at Wigan.

It can be done, and I'm with Stan if this guy had knuckled down and put the work in he'd have been in the team with Sess and McManaman both out of favour at times.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33:58 AM »
Keiran Richardson was a huge success here
Allllllll aboard

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »
Anyone recently? Bamford and Gnabry flopped this year Powell last I'm struggling to think of a player who's done well on loan other than someone like Moses who has had plenty of Premier League experience before he moved from Chelsea.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2016, 12:59:35 AM »
Scott Carson was a success on loan at Charlton and Villa, then we bought him and it all went pear shaped!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2016, 06:42:59 AM »
Anyone recently? Bamford and Gnabry flopped this year Powell last I'm struggling to think of a player who's done well on loan other than someone like Moses who has had plenty of Premier League experience before he moved from Chelsea.

Lukaku didn't do too badly did he?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'