Author Topic: Romaine Sawyers  (Read 212799 times)

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

Re: Romaine Sawyers
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
Not even the best midfielder at Brentford.
But the big question is, with all the likely movement and the fact it was and has been a stagnant area of the field for us would he improve our midfield?

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
But the big question is, with all the likely movement and the fact it was and has been a stagnant area of the field for us would he improve our midfield?

The one question I asked myself is would I want him starting at 10 for us? Answer was no. Genuinely uninspiring.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 10:55:11 PM »
Maybe it is Sawyers or Reid?

Falloutboy is not happy with any possible signing? Who do you want FOB?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »

Wolves' third team looking at his post on the suggestions thread  :P

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »

As I've just said elsewhere, Woods would be a much better signing if we're looking at Brentford players.

The fact is we seem to be looking at obvious signings, like Reid who is coming off the back of a good season, or Sawyers who we know about because he was in our academy. Maybe we should be looking at different options instead, including using the cheaper foreign markets. Granted the rules are different in the Championship regarding home grown players, but that doesn't prohibit their use.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
Wolves' third team looking at his post on the suggestions thread  :P

Most of those players are decent in the Championship with the potential for growth, and unlike Bobby Reid, wouldn't cost the Earth. We don't want to end up another Villa, splashing out over the odds on overrated Championship tat (Hourihane, Kodjia, etc) and getting into difficulty later.

Besides, I think Moore's strength is probably coaching younger players, and all of those would play into that.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Matt Wilson has just provided a update on this. He says Moore will move for Sawyer if Chadli leaves this summer which is very plausible considering he has a release clause. MW continues to say Moore wants Chadli to stay but should he move on he wants Sawyers to replace him in the central attacking midfield role. I can't see a gifted player like Chadli sticking around in the championship.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 11:47:59 PM »
Matt Wilson has just provided a update on this. He says Moore will move for Sawyer if Chadli leaves this summer which is very plausible considering he has a release clause. MW continues to say Moore wants Chadli to stay but should he move on he wants Sawyers to replace him in the central attacking midfield role. I can't see a gifted player like Chadli sticking around in the championship.

I'd like him and I can see us signing him, but as the main option as an attacking midfielder I don't think I'd be happy. Considering he'd only cost £4-5m and we need more options for a 46 game season I was hoping we'd sign him regardless of whether Chadli goes.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »
Keeper we signed was a positive but with the three old age pensioners looking to impress Moore this transfer window could be under whelming. Hope Darren knows what he's doing with regards to transfers or is he being left short by owners?

batesg123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
Sawyers has just started following WBA and Sam Johnstone on Twitter. Could be absolutely nothing but the same happened with Barnes a couple of days ago

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
Sawyers has just started following WBA and Sam Johnstone on Twitter. Could be absolutely nothing but the same happened with Barnes a couple of days ago

He has been following the WBA account since he was a player here.  If you look at follow lists on the twitter phone app it will show followers you share first on the list so it looks like they are recent, so if you are following WBA and Sam Johnstone yourself it will make them appear like recent follows for him.  If you look on a laptop or PC it shows them in order and he followed West Brom long before he followed Brentford, so don't read too much into that.

Also bear in mind Sam Johnstone was on loan at Walsall while Romain was a player there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:42:39 PM by LoxleyBaggie »

baggielad82

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 06:31:00 PM »
I'm watching you Ghandi!!!

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »
John Percy

#wba are hoping to make Brentford midfielder Romaine Sawyers their next signing. Would cost around £3m. A deal could progress in the next few days but other clubs are interested

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
Cheap by todays standards.

Bring him home!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 06:42:27 PM »
Should have signed him last season instead of wasting wages on Morrison and Hoolahan. I reckon this one will get done around £3m, again a good price. He's 27 now so no real room for improvement but he's a classy Championship midfielder.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »
Should have signed him last season instead of wasting wages on Morrison and Hoolahan. I reckon this one will get done around £3m, again a good price. He's 27 now so no real room for improvement but he's a classy Championship midfielder.

If we could get him for £3m in my opinion a real steal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

Would have cost double last season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 07:10:14 PM »
Brentford fans seem pretty upset at the thought of him leaving, be a cracking signing for 3 million this and very smart business. With him & Krovinovic in the middle of the park we might look like a coherent team that can pass & move next season.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
Exactly the signing we need and exactly the player we needed so desperately last season.

A class act in this league.

A bit of “Pogba” style to him though, could be deemed lazy in the games we don’t win but superb when he’s on form.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
Would really hope to get him so we can then see a potential midfield three of Ajayi, Sawyers and Harper/Field/Brunt. Ajayi being in midfield is reliant on us signing Holgate as a CB or another CB.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
Listening to the E and S podcast today, Matt Wilson seemed a bit underwhelmed by the idea of getting Sawyers. He said he thinks he is a good mid table championship player but has his doubts that he is a top championship player.

I tend to agree, as Brentford have sold a number of good players the last few years, and yet never seem to get into the playoffs. If Sawyers has been a constant, it makes me think that MIGHT be his ceiling.

My personal choice would be to look abroad for a player in that mould, I still don't believe we are exploiting the options available abroad.
Boing Boing

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
Listening to the E and S podcast today, Matt Wilson seemed a bit underwhelmed by the idea of getting Sawyers. He said he thinks he is a good mid table championship player but has his doubts that he is a top championship player.

I tend to agree, as Brentford have sold a number of good players the last few years, and yet never seem to get into the playoffs. If Sawyers has been a constant, it makes me think that MIGHT be his ceiling.

My personal choice would be to look abroad for a player in that mould, I still don't believe we are exploiting the options available abroad.

The reason Brentford don't make the play-offs is because they usually sell their prize players and cash in before replacing them for profit.
For instance if they didn't sell Hogan, they wouldn't have Maupay. They are the epitome of a selling club and it seems a good business model for their owners however I wouldn't put their lack of promotion down to Romaine Sawyers, if anything he would be another success story being profited upon.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2019, 11:23:48 PM »
The reason Brentford don't make the play-offs is because they usually sell their prize players and cash in before replacing them for profit.
For instance if they didn't sell Hogan, they wouldn't have Maupay. They are the epitome of a selling club and it seems a good business model for their owners however I wouldn't put their lack of promotion down to Romaine Sawyers, if anything he would be another success story being profited upon.

Oh i'm not blaming him, but if they aren't making the play offs with all of these fine players then it begs the question if it is because their core squad is that of a mid table championship side.

He could be a hit, and I like his style of play (have done since he was ours the first time), but i'm not sure if he takes our team to the next level.
Boing Boing

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 11:47:00 PM »
Oh i'm not blaming him, but if they aren't making the play offs with all of these fine players then it begs the question if it is because their core squad is that of a mid table championship side.

He could be a hit, and I like his style of play (have done since he was ours the first time), but i'm not sure if he takes our team to the next level.

They often sell players mid-season  in January.  They lack ambition to be anything other than a selling club, but they have a fantastic recruitment record.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »
Everything to date has made sense in that there is an obvious clear role for everyone we have bought in. This makes less sense we have bought in Krovinovic as an advanced playmaker which is the role that Sawyers would fill. I find it difficult  to see how both end up on the pitch at the same time and as such I feel a little uncomfortable in hiring a duplicate when there are still priorities outstanding e.g. Second Striker and Left Footed wide player.

Personally I like Sawyers other things being equal I would be happy signing him. I find Wilson's comments a litte odd Ajayi has never played at a bigger club than Rotherham who have just been relegated and would be happy to be described as a mid table championship club yet he is positively gushing about his signing whereas Sawyers who has played at a higher level for longer is "mid table championship level"
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.