Author Topic: Arthur Labinjo Hughes  (Read 8264 times)

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Arthur Labinjo Hughes
« on: December 09, 2021, 08:17:47 PM »
Most of us will have followed this story with some horror.  I was appalled at the way this child was treated by his father and step mum.  In some of the pictures he looks happy in his Birmingham City shirt, and it did occur to me that someone cared enough to buy it form him.  Perhaps a grandparent?  Perhaps there was a time when someone got him a burger (or a tikka?) and took him to his first match.  Then I read that part of his punishment was to have his shirt cut up into pieces in front of him.  There was quite a lot of cruelty experienced by this small boy and this was not the worst.  But it did touch me, and I will be holding my own kids just a bit closer this weekend. I sincerely hope this couple never see the light of day again…one way or another.

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Arthur Labinjo Hughes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 08:38:30 PM »
Hanging would be too good I hope they suffer for years in Prison always looking over their shoulder wondering what's coming next.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 09:28:19 PM »
What sort of creatures are they to treat a child in this way.
The poor little boy, thinking that no one loved him.
He was let down big time by the agencies and to some extent his own family.
They should have got that little boy out of there short shift.
We don't have to worry because there's a government review 'to ensure this never happens again.'
Just like when Baby P, Victoria Climbe, Ella Rose Clover, and hundreds of other children killed every year.
Sickening!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
I am sorry, Athur for what those creatures calling themselves your family put you through.I was also very touched when following the details, I am not ashamed to say that I wept.
Again let down by social services.I have no time for most of those employed there.The social worker who was supposed to help look after my sister, arrived late at every meeting, even though it was the first on her calendar.When I complained about her attitude too, she was taken off the case, my sister was given compensation to appologise.
I have since heard that she wasn't sacked, just moved sideways.If the top don't act, shouldn't it be reorganised?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
Horrendous and I won’t deny I had a tear in my eye when I had read some of those court reports.

I am not going to hammer social services too much as Hughes would have originally passed his parenting assessments which would have lead to the closure of the initial case following the sentencing of Arthur’s mother. There are questions from that point on however. Bruises which were reported by family members were investigated but I would want to know whether any other assessments into Arthur’s health was taken into consideration.

The real issue that has contributed to this is lockdown. I would’ve interested to know whether Arthur’s atttendance at school was satisfactory as that would have raised initial concerns. The fact Arthur wasn’t able to present in a classroom is likely to have hidden the real issues at play and those being escalated to Childrens Services.

I am worried that there are other children who have been subjected to similar abuse because lockdown has prevented any disclosures and professionals recognising the signs of emotional abuse.

Unfortunately these sorts of cases are far too common nowadays which is a damning reflection of society. Thankfully the large majority of these cases are intercepted but it is upsetting to know so many are happy to neglect their children. Scum of the earth.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
Horrendous and I won’t deny I had a tear in my eye when I had read some of those court reports.

I am not going to hammer social services too much as Hughes would have originally passed his parenting assessments which would have lead to the closure of the initial case following the sentencing of Arthur’s mother. There are questions from that point on however. Bruises which were reported by family members were investigated but I would want to know whether any other assessments into Arthur’s health was taken into consideration.

The real issue that has contributed to this is lockdown. I would’ve interested to know whether Arthur’s atttendance at school was satisfactory as that would have raised initial concerns. The fact Arthur wasn’t able to present in a classroom is likely to have hidden the real issues at play and those being escalated to Childrens Services.

I am worried that there are other children who have been subjected to similar abuse because lockdown has prevented any disclosures and professionals recognising the signs of emotional abuse.

Unfortunately these sorts of cases are far too common nowadays which is a damning reflection of society. Thankfully the large majority of these cases are intercepted but it is upsetting to know so many are happy to neglect their children. Scum of the earth.
Good point about how the Lockdowns played a part in this sad case,  difficult to understand how two evil creatures could perpetrate such cruelty on an innocent child. No punishment can justify the crime but I hope they are mentally tortured forever but you need a conscience which the clearly haven't.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 01:29:29 PM »
Like others it bought a tear to my eye reading what happened to him. What I cant square with this though is that the mother was a perfectly good, loving mother to her own kids by all accounts. So its not as if we are dealing with someone who abused everyone, just this little boy. Its heartbreaking that someone who loves her own kids can have such evil intentions to another child in her household.

They are evil people, the pair of them. Absolute evil.

That poor boy. His suffering really hit me, and as the OP said, I hugged my kids that little bit more recently.

Its such a devastating story.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »
It bought a few tears to my eyes as well. We have a grandson the same age who is loved dearly, like all of your children and grandchildren.

I hope the culprits are getting a very hard time in prison.
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »

Reminded me of the sad case of the little Polish lad Daniel Pelka in Coventry about 8 or 9 years ago.

Seems the lessons from that case weren't learned.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 12:32:10 PM »
And now little Star. 16 months old. Beaten and stamped on.
Relatives and friends pleaded with the SS to take note.
5 referrals to social services, in the 8 months before her death.
Close the SS down and have a single recognised unit to look into this discusting abhorrent crime.
They MUST act on all cases given to them, even if it means taking the child into care.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »
It's hard to believe what humans are capable of.

Absolute scum some of them.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 02:12:23 PM »
Close the SS down and have a single recognised unit to look into this discusting abhorrent crime.
They MUST act on all cases given to them, even if it means taking the child into care.
Agree with most of this but and it’s a huge but you’ve got to employ enough staff first. I knew a Social worker 30 years ago and their workload then was nigh on impossible then . Cuts since then will have led to many slipping through the cracks which in turn leads to the sad outcomes we are seeing
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
It's hard to believe what humans are capable of.

Absolute scum some of them.
We've always had scum in society but I do feel they are a significant minority these days a general lowering of standards and discipline over the last 50yrs has brought this about all I can say is I'm glad I'm on the wrong side of 60.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
it's not just social services though, the police have been negligent too.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »
Agree with most of this but and it’s a huge but you’ve got to employ enough staff first. I knew a Social worker 30 years ago and their workload then was nigh on impossible then . Cuts since then will have led to many slipping through the cracks which in turn leads to the sad outcomes we are seeing

This in bucket and spades.   Children's social services are severely under funded, under paid and under protected.

It is riddled with agency staff who come and go because CSS is such a gruelling and unforgiving place to work for.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
This in bucket and spades.   Children's social services are severely under funded, under paid and under protected.

It is riddled with agency staff who come and go because CSS is such a gruelling and unforgiving place to work for.
You can do a great long list of jobs people don't want to do you have that idiot Harry saying quit your job if you don't like it a fine mess the country would be in if we all did that.
Bottom line is we have record jobs vacancies the workforce is changing and not for the better it's a good job we have AI to fall back on for some jobs.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »

I know others have covered this DB, but Social Services are massively under funded, overloaded and have a high staff turnover for various reasons. It is easy to blame SS in these awful instances but in both cases it has been identified that the parents purposely set out to intentionally deceive SS

I think we need to wait for the full enquiry before we lay blame and suggest that Social Services are closed down.
MAGA!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »
Star Hobson is another poor child let down by SS who also ignored the concerns of relatives who say they were accused of being 'troublemakers who made the complaint because we didn't like gipsies or same sex relationships'.
This is a shocking neglect of duty by someone who needs to rethink what they should be concentrating on it makes you wonder if such ineptitude is rife in SS.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
I know others have covered this DB, but Social Services are massively under funded, overloaded and have a high staff turnover for various reasons. It is easy to blame SS in these awful instances but in both cases it has been identified that the parents purposely set out to intentionally deceive SS

I think we need to wait for the full enquiry before we lay blame and suggest that Social Services are closed down.

Every service and company is underfunded.
It shouldn't stop people doing what they are asked to do.
I have a lovely friend who was employed as a fostering department manager in Birmingham by the the SS. She said then (about 5 or so years ago) that she wasn't allowed to fire useless people, and only to send them onto other divisions. She was concerned by the people coming in and being employed, even then. She continued 3 years after her retirement age, but still felt the she was banging her head against a brick wall of beauraucracy. Even she said that the SS wasn't up to any sort of standard even then.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2021, 11:35:55 PM »

Every service and company is underfunded.
It shouldn't stop people doing what they are asked to do.
I have a lovely friend who was employed as a fostering department manager in Birmingham by the the SS. She said then (about 5 or so years ago) that she wasn't allowed to fire useless people, and only to send them onto other divisions. She was concerned by the people coming in and being employed, even then. She continued 3 years after her retirement age, but still felt the she was banging her head against a brick wall of beauraucracy. Even she said that the SS wasn't up to any sort of standard even then.

Without the resources it does stop people doing what they are asked to do. Social Services have a ever growing list of cases but not the staff or support to deal with them.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 01:12:43 AM »
Yet another case of social services not acting, 16 month old girl Star Hobson killed by her moms girlfriend. Warnings from great grandparents ignored by the authorities, disgraceful.

Few years ago a friends son broke his leg in their back garden after falling down a couple of steps, social services hassled them for months over it yet these kids who are suffering and reports made are getting ignored. Priorities are all wrong.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 08:02:43 AM »
I digressed, and went off subject.
The subject should be... How do we protect those suffering abuse?
I suggested that there should be a single department which only looks at this.
Any other ideas?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 08:29:33 AM »
Any other ideas?
It strikes me the SS has one hand tied behind its back where when they visit the abuser's everything is staged managed to appear normal they should have the power to visit when they like and if concerned remove the child for a day to undergo a thorough examination in hospital.
Both the cases mentioned on here should never have happened relatives and others  concerns were ignored and actually accused of harassment the people involved in the SS should hang their heads in shame and to say its lack of funding is laughable these cases are down to pure incompetence or worse pure and simple.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »
Any other ideas?

I’m not sure what you mean by single departments. Most already are single departments within their authority though many are now going into trusts.

It’s impossible to have ‘single departments’ as such as SS now combines any Governmental department such as housing, police, fire services, education & health care.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
It strikes me the SS has one hand tied behind its back where when they visit the abuser's everything is staged managed to appear normal they should have the power to visit when they like and if concerned remove the child for a day to undergo a thorough examination in hospital.

Both the cases mentioned on here should never have happened relatives and others  concerns were ignored and actually accused of harassment the people involved in the SS should hang their heads in shame and to say its lack of funding is laughable these cases are down to pure incompetence or worse pure and simple.

They can & do visit both announced and unannounced. It is part of the evidence gathering.

SS cannot just remove a child off a whim - it requires a lengthy court process unless there is immediate risk of harm and even that requires going to court. You are then caught in the middle of litigation as is the right of the parent.

It takes nigh on 41 weeks or more for the court process to conclude - that is under funding.

Our local trust has 24 vacancies currently in its department - it is practically impossible for any department to run efficiently with such level of vacancies.

Recruiting to social services is demoralising for its workers because they’re scarred by cases and then abused widely by families and random folk on the internet.  No wonder nobody wants to do it.