Author Topic: Midfield control  (Read 4987 times)

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

Midfield control
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
Last year arguably one of worst in league. Last few years , no one controls a game for us.
2 years ago neves controlled midfield and got wolves up.
Last year grealish and McGinn same for the vile.

This year I feel krovinovic and sawyers ( and I would say semi in there too ) can control games and get us promoted too.

Sawyers, krovinovic semi in midfield and we will be very strong in midfield . Something I haven’t said for years
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Midfield control
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »
Last year arguably one of worst in league. Last few years , no one controls a game for us.
2 years ago neves controlled midfield and got wolves up.
Last year grealish and McGinn same for the vile.

This year I feel krovinovic and sawyers ( and I would say semi in there too ) can control games and get us promoted too.

Sawyers, krovinovic semi in midfield and we will be very strong in midfield . Something I haven’t said for years

Agree, it's great to finally have proper ball-playing midfielders in the middle who look comfortable on the ball. Last proper player of that ilk was Mulumbu before his decline.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
It was great to see some legs in there today and actually see us playing through midfield. For me games are won and lost in there and looked far stronger today. Hopefully we've see the last of Brunt being shoe horned in there.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
Agree, it's great to finally have proper ball-playing midfielders in the middle who look comfortable on the ball. Last proper player of that ilk was Mulumbu before his decline.
I didn't class Mulumbu as a ball-playing midfielder ...but that's totally irrelevant.

It's what we've been crying out for for God knows how long, three in midfield and 2 of them mobile and with ability on the ball...and not afraid to play it simple at times.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »
Lads, cut the personal comments

Ignore any more posts and that person will be gone, getting more than inebriated off with people ignoring the posts of mods and admin on here, simple choice for us to just press the ban button.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:53:11 PM by OldburyWBA »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
Lads, cut the personal comments

Ignore any more posts and that person will be gone, getting more than inebriated off with people ignoring the posts of mods and admin on here, simple choice for us to just press the ban button.

You've deleted all the posts but left on the most offensive part? Cheers Phil.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 09:56:41 PM »

You've deleted all the posts but left on the most offensive part? Cheers Phil.

I've deleted the last 2 posts that all, i've not deleted anything else but I will now be deleting the lot.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »
From an altogether encouraging performance this was the most pleasing aspect and watching it back the good news is it will get better. I noticed that in particular Krovinovic's timing was ever so slightly off often the passes found their target but weren't quite timed to the receiving players run. That's fine because the more the team plays as unit (5 debut's today don't forget) the more this will become instinctive and the better it will become.

Tactically if a team sits off us we will quite simply pass them to death. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:26:25 PM »
It is something we have missed for the last few years. Under Pulis we were a defence first team, and under Moore we tried to play attacking football, but too often we focussed more on sticking the ball in the net rather than on taking control of a game so that the other team couldn’t sucker punch us. It was great this evening to watch us look in control. There is still a long was to go to fine tune us and add the final few ingredients, but this was a big step up from what we have been watching for the last few years.
Boing Boing

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »
Think you have to give a lot of credit to the manager for this.

That squad today would have lost last year under Darren Moore.

Bilic managed that game to perfection today with the resources he had.

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »
We’ve missed it for years

The heartbeat of a team.

Mccinness, mulumbu , scharner.

They drove us forward with passion. I feel these will give us passion but with quality too, genuinely excited
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »
The weak link was Livermore.  He was better than he was for most of last season, but his instinct is to look backwards and his forward passing was almost non-existant.  I would much rather see Field doing that anchor role, but for whatever reason he's just not being selected (by multiple managers, so he isn't doing something right).  He's more mobile, a better tackler and has a superior range of passing compared to Livermore.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
I can't understand how Livermore is so ineffective for us when he has Spurs and England pedigree. Surely he should stand out in this division if not in the prem?

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
I can't understand how Livermore is so ineffective for us when he has Spurs and England pedigree. Surely he should stand out in this division if not in the prem?

i think it's to do with the player himself.

look at players like Krovinovic and Sawyers on saturday, they wanted the ball all the time. that type of motivation in a player i don't see in Livermore, i think given half a chance he would leave.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »
i think it's to do with the player himself.

look at players like Krovinovic and Sawyers on saturday, they wanted the ball all the time. that type of motivation in a player i don't see in Livermore, i think given half a chance he would leave.

Well, that is something that has crossed my mind.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
I know its not popular opinion but i dont think Livermore is nowhere near as bad as some make out, i would imagine he is one of those players who is appreciated more by his team mates than by fans, Heskey used to be the same.

Livermore had a poor season last year just like all our other central midfielders, none stood out, there wasnt the correct balance as we didnt have personnel.

Livermore's job this season will be to add a bit of strength and screen the back four and get the ball to the likes of Sawyers, Harper, Krovinovic who do the ball work, you dont want a team of Livermores and you dont want a team of Krovinovic, you want a mix. You dont buy him to be your play maker or be your goalscoring midfielder, he plays the odd killer pass but mainly he just keeps the ball moving and ticking over, he is solid and unspectacular but most teams have a player like that.

If there is better out there then i hope we get them, Ajayi may be that man, but as it stands i think Livermore is the best option we have for that role.

The bloke has played for his country, he played every game for Hull in their most successful era and every Albion manager picks him, i would imagine they see things on the training ground which dont stand out to us, also he could well be a good organiser on the pitch, a leader, we dont know because we dont hear it, Darren Fletcher used to get slated as doing nothing for us but we have never been the same since he left.

I have said previous if we can get somebody better i would move Livermore back to centre half but for the time being he is the best we have for that role.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I know its not popular opinion but i dont think Livermore is nowhere near as bad as some make out, i would imagine he is one of those players who is appreciated more by his team mates than by fans, Heskey used to be the same.

Livermore had a poor season last year just like all our other central midfielders, none stood out, there wasnt the correct balance as we didnt have personnel.

Livermore's job this season will be to add a bit of strength and screen the back four and get the ball to the likes of Sawyers, Harper, Krovinovic who do the ball work, you dont want a team of Livermores and you dont want a team of Krovinovic, you want a mix. You dont buy him to be your play maker or be your goalscoring midfielder, he plays the odd killer pass but mainly he just keeps the ball moving and ticking over, he is solid and unspectacular but most teams have a player like that.

If there is better out there then i hope we get them, Ajayi may be that man, but as it stands i think Livermore is the best option we have for that role.

The bloke has played for his country, he played every game for Hull in their most successful era and every Albion manager picks him, i would imagine they see things on the training ground which dont stand out to us, also he could well be a good organiser on the pitch, a leader, we dont know because we dont hear it, Darren Fletcher used to get slated as doing nothing for us but we have never been the same since he left.

I have said previous if we can get somebody better i would move Livermore back to centre half but for the time being he is the best we have for that role.

It might not be a popular opinion but it's pretty close to my own to be honest.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »

Not as unpopular as you may think
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »

100% with you on this.
Astle is the King

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
He's awful and is the antithesis of what you need to have the thread title
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 03:18:18 PM »
I know, let's play the left footed winner of a one legged @ rse kicking competition in there instead  :P  ;)  ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.