Author Topic: Anything Stoke  (Read 301747 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Anything Stoke
« Reply #550 on: January 05, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
The Holy Trinity has gone, the agnostics of Crouch and Walter return to long ball heaven!
Baggie in Southampton

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #551 on: January 05, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »
The Holy Trinity has gone, the agnostics of Crouch and Walter return to long ball heaven!

I'd like to think we played a major part in destroying that ridiculous myth !    ;D
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #552 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:23 PM »
It's dawning on a few of them they're still just an average mid table Premier League side...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #553 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:38 PM »
Despite the years of rubbish results against them and the fact that they have some deluded fans I was hoping they'd stuff Liverpool. Better second half but a damp squib overall. Also how pooh was the atmosphere considering it was a semi-final? Still in it at 0-1 though...

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
Despite the years of rubbish results against them and the fact that they have some deluded fans I was hoping they'd stuff Liverpool. Better second half but a damp squib overall. Also how pooh was the atmosphere considering it was a semi-final? Still in it at 0-1 though...

the atmosphere

Another great Stoke myth as anyone who has been up there over the past 4/5 seasons will testify to.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #555 on: January 05, 2016, 10:21:43 PM »
You know, I'm starting to wonder if Stoke are hitting a nerve with some people.

For most of the last few years, it's been that we play the football and they win the games. Now the roles have been reversed, and we're beating them the way they used to do to us - but it's like we've had to stoop to their level to do it, while being jealous that they have some decent footballers in Shaquiri, Bojan, and Arnautovic. And the bitchiness and seeming joy people are taking in their misfortune is actually people trying to convince themselves that the way we do things now is better. They have kicked on while we seem to be treading water.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #556 on: January 05, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »

For most of the last few years, it's been that we play the football and they win the games. Now the roles have been reversed, and we're beating them the way they used to do to us - but it's like we've had to stoop to their level to do it, while being jealous that they have some decent footballers in Shaquiri, Bojan, and Arnautovic. And the bitchiness and seeming joy people are taking in their misfortune is actually people trying to convince themselves that the way we do things now is better. They have kicked on while we seem to be treading water.

Go and have a gander on the Oatcake, if you mean by kicking on they could now challenge for the Champions League then you'll fit right in. Out fought and outplayed on Saturday, out thought and outplayed tonight. They're 3 points ahead of us having scored one more goal. Yet they were predicting 3/4 nil wins against both ourselves and Liverpool.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #557 on: January 05, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »

How have they kicked on, they are in a similar position to us.
the regime don't like it man

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
They have got on my nerves the last week or so but even I wanted them to win tonight, except for the wolves I don't think there is a set of fans I despise more than the victims.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #559 on: January 05, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »
They haven't really kicked on significantly, they have managed to just break into the top 10 the last couple of seasons but prior to that they were always around the 13th position mark. They have added some decent flair players over the last couple of years but the spine of the side was already there to be built on.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #560 on: January 05, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
How have they kicked on, they are in a similar position to us.

Not quite. They no longer have any real relegation worries - they are looking at higher goals. We, meanwhile, only have a mission to stay in the division, despite finishing 11th, 10th, and 8th in successive seasons a while ago.

They also look to improve the squad consistently, while our own has stagnated.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: January 05, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
They have added some decent flair players over the last couple of years but the spine of the side was already there to be built on.

And that's how they've kicked on. Just being solid wasn't enough any more - they wanted some flair and creativity.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #562 on: January 05, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »
And that's how they've kicked on. Just being solid wasn't enough any more - they wanted some flair and creativity.

They weren't just solid before though, they always had decent enough wingers and weren't too bad up front they have just had the benefit of finishing well most seasons making them a more attractive proposition than they once were its natural evolution of a squad if anything.

If we had been finishing comfortable mid table for a few years with the financial backing they have I would have expected us to be able to compete to sign the kind of players they have the last couple of years. Unfortunately we don't have that financial backing and we have flirted massively with relegation the last couple of seasons after mismanagement from the top of the club that we are only just starting to get sorted out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:00:09 PM by B_H_Baggie »

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #563 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
Not quite. They no longer have any real relegation worries - they are looking at higher goals. We, meanwhile, only have a mission to stay in the division, despite finishing 11th, 10th, and 8th in successive seasons a while ago.

They also look to improve the squad consistently, while our own has stagnated.

If we had just finished 8th the season before I'd agree with you but we were a team on the decline, finishing 17th and being in 16th when Pulis came in. Seeing us bring in players like Fletcher, Evans and Rondon under TP is improvement for me.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #564 on: January 05, 2016, 11:38:10 PM »

In fairness, their squad probably is better than ours, but in the long run, i cant see Bojan or Shaqiri sticking around. For me though, its the sheer bitterness since we beat them on saturday that has done it. Crying out for a replay because of the Yacob incident. They just hate losing to us, and when you look at our overall record against them since we came back up, you can see why, they've only beaten us once at the Britannia, whereas we've beaten them at theirs twice, and drawn three times. For a team 'that always beats west brom', it's a funny stat to have.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:31 PM »
Strange change in tune  and attitude in Staffordshire now the boot is on the other elbow!

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/252474/shawcross-snidy-elbow
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »
Strange change in tune  and attitude in Staffordshire now the boot is on the other elbow!

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/252474/shawcross-snidy-elbow

I expect it would have been rescinded on appeal as there is a clear precedent for this kind of thing after last Saturday. As for Shawcross, he's a decent enough defender but never a footballer that lad.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #567 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:08 AM »
over inflated.over rated, nowt special.Mark Hughes period comes to an end next season. hes similar to Steve Bruce, a bit of a surge then goes flat after a few seasons
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
Heard on Radio Stoke this evening (travelling south on the M6, back to God's country from Manchester) that Arnautovic is looking for £100k per week. Like one Stokie on the radio phone in said, he's asking that for producing one game in four.

There's your problem, with modern football, right there.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #569 on: January 09, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »
Arnautovic is a very good player on his day a bit like Sess the key part of that statement is the qualifying "on his day"  but how frequently is his day? A £100k a week would imply quite frequently. The question for Stoke and by extension ourselves because we are a similar sized club is should you pay it and if you don't will somebody else?

Firstly mid-table premier league clubs are edging slowly towards the £100,000 a week footballer if reports were true about the £70,000 a week we were prepared to pay Ba then a £100,000 isn't that far fetched. The TV deal will propel the top earners at teams like Stoke close to that figure, Aranutovic knows this and is just laying down a marker.

Secondly will other clubs pay Aranutovic what he wants? The clubs that habitually pay £100,000 a week even to players who are not among their best and brightest are few and far between and none that aren't champions league regulars outside England.

I think Stoke could and should call his agent's bluff on this because there is simply nobody else who will stump up that sort of money particularly with a big fee involved. All that said football has a habit of astounding me when it comes to these matters. :o
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #570 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
Stoke were the better team and deserved to go through. Never mind though.  :P

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #571 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »
Stoke were the better team and deserved to go through. Never mind though.  :P

Not sure how you figure that out, their only shot on target was an offside goal?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »
bless, the London bin dippers can have a day out.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #573 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
Urgh their pride in their team despite losing makes me jealous. If that were us at anfield we would bottle it I'm sure.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:31 AM »
Urgh their pride in their team despite losing makes me jealous. If that were us at anfield we would bottle it I'm sure.

Why we were very unlucky not to win there ourselves.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill