Author Topic: 25 Sept 2018 Albion 0 Crystal Palace 3 (Carabao Cup 3)  (Read 29971 times)

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
Waste of an evening 1st time I have left early in ages. Why didn't he put Gayle on 2nd half against his former club 🤔

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
Clearly, the club are not arsed about this competition.
They could at least be honest & admit they don’t want to be in the league cup, admit they are going to put out a below strength team & reduce the prices to a quid or even make it free entry.
If we are expected to watch a reserve team, at least have the decency to be up front & not take the urine out of the fans & price it appropriately.

Tenner in so was priced accordingly. Add the teamsheet from rounds 1 and 2 and nobody is pulling the wool over our eyes.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:59 PM »
Why bother playing in cups  ??? drunk off with Moore for team selection and substitions.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
Pick a few positives out...
Morrison looked sharp
Wes must be the fittest 36 year old I've ever seen
Young lads will have gained from these 3 games
Harper looks decent ...
End on a bad note , doesn't matter who we put out the passing from the back is woeful and does seem to get any better.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2018, 10:27:55 PM »
Waste of an evening 1st time I have left early in ages. Why didn't he put Gayle on 2nd half against his former club 🤔
Maybe because he’s saving him for Saturday. He’s one of our most important players and we need him firing in the league. With all the extra games this season, this cup really was an unwanted risk with our limited squad.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Good match practice for the youngsters and run out for Morrison and Hoolihan. I think you have to play them at some stage or they will never get a chance. They need more chances for match experience and some will improve, as you see with the best players.
I thought Morrison looked much sharper than earlier this season. Criticism of Townsend a bit harsh as he was up against an excellent right back. HRK looked a bit helpless playing on his own.

Obviously they never had a realistic chance of winning.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Well I thought that was too many changes and it was, we might have got away with 2 or 3 but 10 against prem opposition was asking for it.

Field definitely won't be a cb, felt sorry for him. Mind you seeing 4 academy players out there is a good thing for the club. Harper I don't think looked out of place pick of the youth.

Hoolahan looked good and will offer us something different to Barnes. Thought he and Morrison had some nice link up play but both faded as the game went on.

Really disappointed with Townsend who started so brightly with Albion not sure wing back suits him. And God I hope Phillips gets fit soon because mears is woeful don't think he stopped a cross all game
O Albion we love you

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2018, 10:33:10 PM »
I couldnt be arsed with it tonight, it was a game we didnt need, imo big dave did the right thing tonight, keep everyone fresh for Saturday

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2018, 10:39:53 PM »
Call me cynical but I don't care; we are chasing promotion and realistically wouldn't get near winning it (in my lifetime I genuinely can't remember a non-premier league team winning a league/FA cup).

Besides, with this defense we would have probably gone out sooner rather than later anyway.

Now we can focus on the league.

Regarding the match, it showed our frailties; defensive poor and shows the need for Dawson/Gibbs and some of the midfielders were pedestrian.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
Well at least one team took it seriously. Looking at Palace's line up before the game we were going to need a full strength first team to beat them. The team we put out is the sort of team we played against Luton and Mansfield.

We were second best all over the park. If we'd any intention in rescuing the name we surely wouldn't have made the subs we did. We were crying out for pace / mobility up front yet Moore brings on no attackers at all.

It's OK playing weakened teams against lower league opposition but not against Premier League opposition.

Disappointed in Darren Moore's approach to this game to be honest.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »
Knocked it around quite well tonight but had zero pace or power upfront to trouble Palace so they toyed with us. Shows how reliant we are on Gayle.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:35 PM »
Knocked it around quite well tonight but had zero pace or power upfront to trouble Palace so they toyed with us. Shows how reliant we are on Gayle.

I said before if he's injured for any period of time we are in serious trouble. Robson-Kanu is awful and we have no one else.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2018, 11:28:50 PM »
Just got back. The only bright thing tonight was Hoolahan and Mozza's performance. Everything else was brittle and aimless.

At 1-0, the game was crying out for Gayle to come on, but instead, DM leaves HRK on, who IS NOT a footballer. Plain and simple. The man steals a living. It seems like it's common sense that DM doesn't have - to play with one player up front, you need that player to be able to hold the ball up. HRK cannot do this and he cannot read passes. A few balls went up to him and while waiting for the arrival, a Palace player nipped in front and pinched it, every time.

The subs baffled me. DM goes from making one or two subs in a game, to making all three at the same time - all making no impact what so ever.

Going by his interview on WM, it seems obvious to me that he took tonight's game as "game time" for some of the players, as opposed to looking to actually win the match. We had no pace, no purpose and no skill.

How many times did Townsend receive the ball out wide, only to turn back and pass it back to Field or Hegazi? It's like DM is scaring them from taking players on.

And how many corners did we have where their first player headed the ball clear? Every single one.

People may say "well it's only the cup", but a game is a game and we should be playing to win every game.

Tonight was gutless from DM.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
Not the result you want to discover after a 17 hour day at work  >:(  To be honest we were fairly fortunate to scrape past Luton and Mansfield and the powers that be clearly have no interest in the competition. Why the hell doesn't he give Field a go in the middle and where was Burke?

Out of interest, did Roy get a good reception?

rogerstubbs

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:19 PM »
Very disappointed with 2nd half performance,surprised neither burke or lecko were given a chance. Surely field must be given a chance in midfield.Thought Morrison looked sharp came closest to scoring.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2018, 11:41:57 PM »
What an awful performance and a poor game on the whole. Just got home and massively regretting the 3 hour drive straight from work to stand in the cold to watch that rubbish. Judging by the masses of empty seats, obviously everyone else got the memo and decided against going, which I will be doing for the remaining cup games this season as we're clearly not taking them seriously still. What's the point?

The majority of that team tonight (bar Hegazi, Brunt and potentially Field) should be nowhere near our starting 11 this season. Still can't believe we've let a Palace reserve team comprehensively beat us 3-0 at home.

Special shout outs to:

Myhill who again didn't look up for it, and I felt reacted poorly to their first goal and was then shaky for the majority of the game. Why did we release him and then sign him back again?

Townsend is a poor player. Didn't beat his man once, constantly turning back. Don't think he got a cross past the first man once the entire evening.

Adarbayo (sp) gave the ball away every time he touched it as did Harper. Was Mears on the pitch?

HRK still isn't a striker, and Morrison whilst having some nice touches, still didn't look match fit and chose the wrong decision most of the time.

Strange management tonight too, not sure what was the point of picking a few random youngsters mixed with ridiculously old legs in random positions with pretty much no starting 11 players; really not sure what Moore expected to happen there.  Like for like subs too which didn't have any impact on the game again. And why oh why did we persist on trying to cross the ball in to HRK and Hoolahan the entire game? If we did manage to beat the first man neither had a chance of winning a header. Kept resorting to hoofing it forwards too to HRK who isn't a target man.

Disappointed and annoyed at yet another wasted chance to progress in a cup competition.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:52:39 PM by TheBrom »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:31 PM »
Just got back. The only bright thing tonight was Hoolahan and Mozza's performance. Everything else was brittle and aimless.

At 1-0, the game was crying out for Gayle to come on, but instead, DM leaves HRK on, who IS NOT a footballer. Plain and simple. The man steals a living. It seems like it's common sense that DM doesn't have - to play with one player up front, you need that player to be able to hold the ball up. HRK cannot do this and he cannot read passes. A few balls went up to him and while waiting for the arrival, a Palace player nipped in front and pinched it, every time.

The subs baffled me. DM goes from making one or two subs in a game, to making all three at the same time - all making no impact what so ever.

Going by his interview on WM, it seems obvious to me that he took tonight's game as "game time" for some of the players, as opposed to looking to actually win the match. We had no pace, no purpose and no skill.

How many times did Townsend receive the ball out wide, only to turn back and pass it back to Field or Hegazi? It's like DM is scaring them from taking players on.

And how many corners did we have where their first player headed the ball clear? Every single one.

People may say "well it's only the cup", but a game is a game and we should be playing to win every game.

Tonight was gutless from DM.
Exactly! Well summed up.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »
Not the result you want to discover after a 17 hour day at work  >:(  To be honest we were fairly fortunate to scrape past Luton and Mansfield and the powers that be clearly have no interest in the competition. Why the hell doesn't he give Field a go in the middle and where was Burke?

Out of interest, did Roy get a good reception?

Roy had a good reception from everyone, had a lengthy chat with DM before the match and waved to the fans when they sang "give us a wave". Was nice to see.

Burke was on the bench looking inebriated off. Don't blame him to be honest. To be behind HRK and some of the kids must be infuriating.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2018, 11:57:06 PM »
For those that didn't go (you lucky ....'s):

https://vimeo.com/291809920

Watching it back, all 3 goals are comical

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2018, 12:03:41 AM »
For those that didn't go (you lucky ....'s):

https://vimeo.com/291809920

Watching it back, all 3 goals are comical
thought the 1st goal was a fantastic strike, however the more I watch it the more I think why was Myhill so far of his line.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2018, 01:36:09 AM »
As I said before the game, don't care about the result as more fixtures are the last thing we need and you don't win a cup without a PL squad. Thought the team selection and subs were poor though, just play the kids for the experience and be done with it. Field at centre back is a joke, the obsession with cramming Brunt and Barry into every game is frustrating and now neither is 100% fresh for Saturday. How Burke and Leko didn't get any game time in a match that we quite clearly threw is woeful management.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2018, 02:47:20 AM »
The line up was pretty much expected but the performance wasn't. We lacked a cutting edge which HRK was never going to provide. Corners were dreadful, no matter who took them, did any get past the first defender?

Myhill should have done better for the first goal,but so should Field although to be fair to him he was played out of position and it was Andros Townsend.

Anyone wondering why the kids don't get a game, there was your evidence.

At least we can concentrate on the league now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: September 26, 2018, 02:53:39 AM »
The line up was pretty much expected but the performance wasn't. We lacked a cutting edge which HRK was never going to provide. Corners were dreadful, no matter who took them, did any get past the first defender?

Myhill should have done better for the first goal,but so should Field although to be fair to him he was played out of position and it was Andros Townsend.

Anyone wondering why the kids don't get a game, there was your evidence.

At least we can concentrate on the league now.

What kids? That was our OAP team. Field was hung out to dry at centre back. Edwards came on at wing back and Burke and Leko didn't play a minute. Only Harper got a fair chance.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #173 on: September 26, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »
I didn't see the game - apart from TV highlights of the goals - but based on the scathing criticisms on this forum about team selection and substitutions why don't our journos start asking some more pointed questions to Moore at after match press conferences?  If our fans have what appears from afar to be valid criticisms of the selection of certain players week in week then surely journos should at least ask for an explanation from the manager. I am not seeing any evidence of this. And before someone points to our high league position we shouldn't be carried away with this. It's very early days and we could soon start to drop like a stone with a few more wretched performances.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #174 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
thought the 1st goal was a fantastic strike, however the more I watch it the more I think why was Myhill so far of his line.

Yes watching it live I thought the same. It goes in the bottom corner pretty much