Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 216048 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #475 on: April 27, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
Yeah, really poor first half, he just looked a bit disinterested and half hearted.  Second half was much better.  I think the approach from his fellow players may influence him a little?  Like first half nobody had a good game and most were guilty of not putting the effort in.  The older pro's should be setting the example for him.

And it's true that he's still only 18 so isn't the finished article and has a lot to learn. 

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #476 on: April 27, 2019, 06:58:19 PM »
Criminal that we haven't sorted a contract for him by February. Him going on a free will highlight how badly ran the club is.

Raw talent needs more game time at this level but could be a feature for years to come is going to be allowed to leave is just horrific by us
How many more times will I have to read him not signing a contract is the club's fault?
Unless someone can provide specific details of what contract has been offered, what his demands are and what deals his agent might have in the pipeline, I would suggest that people should stop using this fiction as another stick with which to beat the club.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #477 on: April 27, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »
Didn't think he was that bad first half, was the only one seeming prepared to run with the ball, the rest of the side were tippy tappy passes to the nearest player, Harper had a couple of decent runs and finished off a good performance with a goal, thats the player we know is there, these coaches need to get the best out of him on a consistent basis and the suits need to sort a contract out, he still has masses to learn but we've seen the good and the bad of him recently but remember he's still a kid learning his trade not the finished article by any means.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:05 PM »
I agree with most of what’s been said on here about his display today so won’t bother repeating. Just one point of clarification though, he is 19 years old.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
Didn't think he was that bad first half, was the only one seeming prepared to run with the ball, the rest of the side were tippy tappy passes to the nearest player, Harper had a couple of decent runs and finished off a good performance with a goal, thats the player we know is there, these coaches need to get the best out of him on a consistent basis and the suits need to sort a contract out, he still has masses to learn but we've seen the good and the bad of him recently but remember he's still a kid learning his trade not the finished article by any means.

There was probably a 20 minute spell where he didn't touch the ball. He often pretends to be available calling for the ball to feet when the pass isn't even on. He's either hiding and short on confidence or doesn't have the football intelligence yet to find himself a bit more space to receive the ball.

It's this that I refer to when I say he has a lot of work to do off the ball.

Having said that he was nowhere near as bad as Johnasen who had his worst game in an Albion shirt today.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
I think he is a very talented player, but it is important he is managed correctly. He can turn past oponents with the ball and has a turn of pace, which our midfield is fairly short of. His goal yesterday will hopefully have boosted his confidence.
However, I'm not in favour of fielding a whole team of youngsters, as they don't usually have the character to fight back when the going gets tough.That's why every team needs 'leaders' out there, even if some of the 'leaders' are slightly less talented.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2019, 12:53:02 PM »
A post from elsewhere:

not seen mention of it on here but very much looks like Harper threw his toys out on Saturday. Liked an instagram post showing Hourihane scoring against us.

Something to do with Tom Bates?? I know nothing about this. Same thing has been said by more than one person.

IF this is true, get the arsehole out of our club ASAP.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »
Yeah he liked a post on Instagram, Tom Bates coaching posted a picture of hourahane with the caption ‘quality always rises to the top.’ Rekeem liked the post.

For what it’s worth, I have heard from more than one person that he’s pretty much sorted a deal with Watford.

Wouldn’t want to see him in the team tomorrow, would rather see Field play.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »
He's a liability right now with his off the ball work.

He can go right to the top if he improves his off the ball effort and starts showing for the ball more. But right now the team drops to 10 men with him in the team out of possession as he only ever jogs back, never puts in a challenge, and generally seems to have very little defensive nous. He also consistently makes the least passes out of our 3 midfielders when he does play - too often he hides in midfield.

These are both things he can work out in which case he can become a very, very good central midfielder. But till he does he's a liability, certainly while he avoids contributing defensively. He doesn't provide enough attacking wise to make up for that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:19:44 PM by Dan »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
these big time Charlie's never learn do they?
Another Berahino in the making.
I thought his contract had another 12 months to run?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Watford sounds abut right. E+S i think said Spurs and Norwich were in for him. He wouldnt get onto the Spurs bench but maybe Norwich he might get a look in.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
Yeah he liked a post on Instagram, Tom Bates coaching posted a picture of hourahane with the caption ‘quality always rises to the top.’ Rekeem liked the post.

For what it’s worth, I have heard from more than one person that he’s pretty much sorted a deal with Watford.

Wouldn’t want to see him in the team tomorrow, would rather see Field play.

Field is the better player anyway IMO.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
A real shame, thought he had all the attributes to be a top player but if he is making waves like this already at 18 he will eventually end up back down in the championship or lower for the rest of his career. To get to the top with football you have to have more than just play a bit, you need hard work and to be a good pro to name a few

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »
It's all hearsay and rumour at the moment so let's not write him off just yet?
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
It's all hearsay and rumour at the moment so let's not write him off just yet?

My thoughts entirely Dan - well said.
MAGA!

Baggie1603

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #490 on: May 15, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
At the end of the game yesterday as soon as he got in his car you could see on his car screen he was straight on the phone to his agent.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #491 on: May 15, 2019, 06:42:33 PM »
At the end of the game yesterday as soon as he got in his car you could see on his car screen he was straight on the phone to his agent.

Maybe he was saying, loved the atmosphere, I want to stay now.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #492 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
I sort of like him but I'm not sure of his position is,I think he might be better as a defensive midfielder than attacker.
But he seems muscle bound he was poor last night and for a 19 year old doesn't have much speed,not bothered if he stays or goes really

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #493 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:03 PM »
He's a liability right now with his off the ball work.

He can go right to the top if he improves his off the ball effort and starts showing for the ball more. But right now the team drops to 10 men with him in the team out of possession as he only ever jogs back, never puts in a challenge, and generally seems to have very little defensive nous. He also consistently makes the least passes out of our 3 midfielders when he does play - too often he hides in midfield.

These are both things he can work out in which case he can become a very, very good central midfielder. But till he does he's a liability, certainly while he avoids contributing defensively. He doesn't provide enough attacking wise to make up for that.

I don't see any qualities in him, he hasn't got pace, he hasn't got a box to box work rate and his passing is limited to bad.

We all want out home grown players to do well but that makes us see them in better light than we should sometimes.

I wrote on here a while back I don't care if he stays or goes, and after him liking that post I prefer the latter as long as the fee isn't the paltry £200k for youth players and we get a decent sell on clause like with roofe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:21:44 PM by BalisPen »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #494 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
I don't see any qualities in him, he hasn't got pace, he has got a box to box work rate and his passing is limited to bad.

We all want out home grown players to do well but that makes us see them in better light than we should sometimes.

I wrote on here a while back I don't care if he stays or goes, and after him liking that post I prefer the latter as long as the fee isn't the paltry £200k for youth players and we get a decent sell on clause like with roofe.

His passing is excellent. His  desire, not so much. Shan had to prompt him to press last night.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #495 on: May 16, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »
I just don't see the hype yet , he's a big strong lad with the odd flash going forward . For the position he plays he doesn't work anywhere near hard enough yet , far too many times he lets his runner go .
There's talent in him no doubt but If he's off I'm not hugely bothered as with have more pressing issues elsewhere.
Honestly think he'd be making a big mistake leaving this early.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:40:46 AM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: May 16, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
I don't think he's as good as some people make out.

I think a number of factors helped him initially:

• We have had a very slow midfield for years, so him coming in freshened it up a little.
    He's 'one of our own'

I just don't really see the hype in him to be honest, if he is to move to a premier league team, I honestly think he will just become a squad player before being sent out on loan, he is nowhere near ready for regular top flight football, his game reading and reactions are not good enough YET.

The best thing for his career would be to stay in the championship and get regular game time to really see what hes about, he's still young enough to learn and improve, it just depends on his desire to do that.

If I had to have one in my team, I would choose Sam Field over him all day.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #497 on: May 16, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
He seems to have gone backwards the more games hes played. When he first got into the team he was making good forward runs, putting tackles in and putting in a good all round midfield display, his last 5 or so performances have been a pale imitation. Maybe he misses having Barry in midfield talking him through games?

Glad he got a goal against Rotherham as I like to see our own young players score but if he doesn't want to stay then "turrah a bit".

Not sure where he sees himself playing but he isn't ready for the Premier league.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
He seems to have gone backwards the more games hes played. When he first got into the team he was making good forward runs, putting tackles in and putting in a good all round midfield display, his last 5 or so performances have been a pale imitation. Maybe he misses having Barry in midfield talking him through games?

Glad he got a goal against Rotherham as I like to see our own young players score but if he doesn't want to stay then "turrah a bit".

Not sure where he sees himself playing but he isn't ready for the Premier league.

I thought his performances tailed off when gossip started to get louder of him not signing the contract.

As you said, the last 5/6 performances haven't been the best, which takes you back around a month or 2 ago when they first rumours of him agreeing a deal with another club came about. I have seen from numerous people on twitter who are adamant he's off to Watford.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
I thought his performances tailed off when gossip started to get louder of him not signing the contract.

As you said, the last 5/6 performances haven't been the best, which takes you back around a month or 2 ago when they first rumours of him agreeing a deal with another club came about. I have seen from numerous people on twitter who are adamant he's off to Watford.

You may well be right about the contract issues, certainly makes a lot of sense.
 Can't see him getting anywhere near Watford's midfield though...probably end up being loaned to a Championship club for the season!