Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668241 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1300 on: February 16, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
I'm not a great fan of SJ's, but we'll have to stick with him for this season and hope he's got enough in his locker to help us to promotion. If we make it to the Prem, I'd like to see a keeper who commands his box, comes for crosses and has the authority to help organise his defence.
One obvious candidate who ticks all those boxes is Foster. If Watford get relegated, then we should make him an offer which I think he might accept. Back in the Midlands, kids are West Brom fans etc.
left on sour note so it's a no for me, good keeper but we should be looking for someone younger.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1301 on: February 16, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »
When the vile lot come down at the end of the season, how about a cheeky purchase of Reina? He would still be in the Premiership, then.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1302 on: February 16, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
left on sour note so it's a no for me, good keeper but we should be looking for someone younger.
Can't see the point of holding a grudge, if he helped us gain, maybe, 10 points over a season.  The past would soon be forgotten. But needs Watford to be relegated first. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:30:24 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1303 on: February 16, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »
I’d never want Foster here again.

Just when we needed some loyalty, he couldn’t wait to bugger off.

Gives it the big Albion fan in the media and then couldn’t wait to leave.

Leave him be.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1304 on: February 16, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »

Leave him be.

Bang on the money Liam!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1305 on: February 16, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »
d

Leave him be.
Not the first time either , did the same / similar across the Blues. Also think he has had his moments e.g v Stoke for us , had kick charged down into goal this season , well passed his sell by date move on !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1306 on: February 16, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

Leave him be.
Player wants to play in the Prem. Can't see what's so surprising about that. Like Jay Rod, like Dawson.  Not many would turn down an offer to stay in the Champ, Albion fan or not. In fact, I'm struggling to think of anyone in the modern era who's turned down a chance to play in the Prem. Club loyalty is now very hard to find.
If the tables are turned and say Watford are in the Champ, why can't we profit from that?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1307 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
It’s frustrating that we only conceded one shot on target, yet lose 2 goals. It seems that the opposition don’t have to do a lot to score past us. Having said that, the blame for yesterday can not be attributed to SJ in any way.

What I don’t like - and I’ve noticed it for some time - is that he walks off the pitch at the end of the game straight away. No claps. Nothing. Even yesterday, one Forest player was near him but he was off like a shot.

I can’t blame him for being annoyed at ‘some’ of the criticism he’s received this season, but you’d like a bit more back from him, especially after home games.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1308 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
It’s frustrating that we only conceded one shot on target, yet lose 2 goals. It seems that the opposition don’t have to do a lot to score past us. Having said that, the blame for yesterday can not be attributed to SJ in any way.

What I don’t like - and I’ve noticed it for some time - is that he walks off the pitch at the end of the game straight away. No claps. Nothing. Even yesterday, one Forest player was near him but he was off like a shot.

I can’t blame him for being annoyed at ‘some’ of the criticism he’s received this season, but you’d like a bit more back from him, especially after home games.

I don't blame him a bit, most of it is way over the top and unjustified, look at the criticism from this weekend, no way his fault, but the usual criticism comes his way. I actually don't think he is good enough for the Premier League, but overall, he has done an okay job, in some areas he is very good (distribution and reflex saves) in other areas he is weaker (command of his area and from corners), he hasn't let us down, but I think with some of the criticism, we have let him down.
Baggie in Southampton

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1309 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
For Forest's first goal that low centre was nearer him than Bartley.  I think he could have easily cut it out.  his game against Millwall proves that he's not bad for the Championship but I would prefer someone who wants to boss his six yard area.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1310 on: February 16, 2020, 09:31:00 PM »
Is he great? No
Is he good ? Debatable
Is he rubbish ? No

Is he at his level? Probably
Will constantly slagging him off help him improve? No
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1311 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:49 AM »
Is he great? No
Is he good ? Debatable
Is he rubbish ? No

Is he at his level? Probably
Will constantly slagging him off help him improve? No

Is he great: No
Is he good: No
Is he rubbish: Yes

Why didn't we think of this sooner. Succinct.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1312 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:51 AM »

Is he great: No
Is he good: No
Is he rubbish: Yes

Why didn't we think of this sooner. Succinct.

I feel a poll coming on, (ooer missus !!)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1313 on: February 17, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »

Leave him be.

I keep seeing this narrative of Foster the 'bad guy' but I don't believe it to be accurate. Let's look at the facts he was 35 when leaving us and during the 2018/19 season would be turning 36, he'd also suffered multiple serious knee injuries in his career (which he'd alluded to in the Tai Schierenberg documentary and said they were taking their toll). I believe the club considered these factors and concluded he was a serious risk. I can only assume he would have been on high wages as he was a senior figure and mainstay of our team so it doesn't take much common sense to see why the club acted the way they did. From what I understand (have a friend who has spoken to Foster) the club actually told Foster that he would not be their number 1 and they were signing a younger goalkeeper.

For many people Foster is the best goalkeeper we've had in the modern era and I share this view. He's been involved in some of our most successful results and league campaigns in recent times so you can see how this news came as a bit of a kick in the teeth to Foster. If you take the time to read about Foster outside of football he comes across as a family man and an all round top bloke. I believe he was settled in the area and I think given enough encouragement would have saw out the rest of his career with us.

To date the decision to replace Foster with Johnstone has looked a poor one and in my opinion we have massively downgraded in the goalkeeping department. If promoted I believe this is an area we will need to address.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1314 on: February 17, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
For Forest's first goal that low centre was nearer him than Bartley.  I think he could have easily cut it out.  his game against Millwall proves that he's not bad for the Championship but I would prefer someone who wants to boss his six yard area.
I agree, its not just that he doesn't come for crosses, but he doesn't seem to be in charge of the 6 yard box, players with their back to goal need to be yelled at and told when to leave it, hoof it, man on, whatever, it doesn't look to me like he does that.

He's a decent championship stopped though IMHO.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1315 on: June 12, 2020, 10:47:07 PM »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1316 on: June 12, 2020, 11:13:52 PM »
Still an absolute liability

Need a gk desperately or even if we sign periera krovinovic etc we will be going down without a prayer
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1317 on: June 13, 2020, 12:17:30 AM »
He is awful.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1318 on: June 13, 2020, 09:06:09 AM »
That is shocking. He's not taking the game seriously there.  Even IF he had managed to go on the outside of the utd player, we would not have any kind of advantage so he'd have to kick it long anyway.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1319 on: June 13, 2020, 10:05:34 AM »
Still an absolute liability
But apparently he’s a good shot stopper 🙄
I’d be happier if we played rush back
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1320 on: June 13, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Never rated him. Do villa want him back. We need a new goal keeper no matter what division we are Iin next season.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1321 on: June 13, 2020, 07:33:34 PM »
FFS people give your head a wobble. I know people need a player to hate but really??
He is our first choice keeper whether you like it or not and certainly the best we currently have!
Having a whinge about something that happened in a meaningless game is pointless and stupid. I’m glad I won’t be sharing the same space as some of you lot on Saturday v the Blouse!

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1322 on: June 13, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
FFS people give your head a wobble. I know people need a player to hate but really??
He is our first choice keeper whether you like it or not and certainly the best we currently have!
Having a whinge about something that happened in a meaningless game is pointless and stupid. I’m glad I won’t be sharing the same space as some of you lot on Saturday v the Blouse!

Well said !!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1323 on: June 13, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
I'm sure he would not have tried that move in a competitive game. He is the best we have at the moment .   
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1324 on: June 13, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »
Much prefer him to have clanger like that in a friendly than in an actual game. He’s never done that before for us, it’s not like he’s a repeat offender. He has an issues which many younger (yes his is in terms of goalkeepers) keepers have  nowadays with commanding his area but he is not an awful keeper by any stretch
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!