Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724837 times)

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #775 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
I think stick with Shan until the end of the season,a new manager might try and change things too much and not have enough games left to impose his style,Shan obviously knows the players and who can do what ie Edwards wouldn't have made the bench with Big Dave in charge last week.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #776 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:14 PM »
Why not just appoint Jokanovic and be done with it? Theresa May levels of dithering from the board. Pretty sure it’s going to backfire big time and leave the boardroom looking like gullible idiots.
Unless you know definitively what the club have tried to do about signing SJ, your comments are totally unwarranted. Have you thought about the fact that WBA may well have been turned down?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:42 PM »
Unless you know definitively what the club have tried to do about signing SJ, your comments are totally unwarranted. Have you thought about the fact that WBA may well have been turned down?

Totally unwarranted is your aggression to an alternative view you don’t like. Why on earth would the club not have spoken to his agent and gauged his terms and ideas before even making the decision to sack Moore, how did Leicester managed to appoint Rogers in 24hrs? It would only have taken a few phone calls to work out if he was interested and his terms. He hasn’t spoken publicly and doesn’t have a job. Dice it up which every way you want, sacking the manager and his assistant and then having no idea what to do isn’t good enough.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #778 on: March 20, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »
Right now we have a roughly 25% chance of getting promoted most likely via the play-offs or looking at it another way we are most likely to be in the Championship next season. With just 8 games plus maybe 3 play-off fixtures I don't see any appointment really moving the dial on that much.

Shan has done the one obvious thing which is hit the reset button reintroduce the pragmatic (being kind here) type of football that seems to suit this squad. Realistically what is anyone else going to do? Work through a couple of games before they realise that's pretty much their only option and regress back to it or something pretty similar.

I am bewildered by the names being linked with us to help Shan to the end of the season in particular Appleton and or Shakespeare. It is crazy that we are back to a position that the Assistant will have far more experience than the Head Coach. If we appoint either they will become the de facto interim Head Coach even if Shan is fronting up the operation.

I think I read somewhere that Shan has ruled himself out of taking over on a permanent basis. Even if we are promoted the club should not try to persuade him otherwise. It is falling back into the mistake of assuming that the caretaker can step up. Moore did brilliantly across a few games at the end of last season but that wasn't the same as the being up to the task of getting us up this season which remains  a very different challenge.

Maybe the end of the season is a better time to take a more considered approach to the appointment and which Division we are in has an obvious impact on the type of candidates we can attract, yet we are most likely to be in the Championship and I doubt whether the candidates will be very different to the ones that we realistically have now although the likes of Johnson or Neil would be easier to lure away from their clubs. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #779 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:10 PM »
Could you give some examples?
We have no idea yet whether Shan has the tactical knowledge/experience to be able to cope in a difficult situation, so far he hasn't needed to come from behind or play with 10 men. When we go 1-0 down in the play-off final and go down to 10 men I would rather have a manager who will have experienced it before and will know what to do.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »
Totally unwarranted is your aggression to an alternative view you don’t like. Why on earth would the club not have spoken to his agent and gauged his terms and ideas before even making the decision to sack Moore, how did Leicester managed to appoint Rogers in 24hrs? It would only have taken a few phone calls to work out if he was interested and his terms. He hasn’t spoken publicly and doesn’t have a job. Dice it up which every way you want, sacking the manager and his assistant and then having no idea what to do isn’t good enough.
You don't know why DM was fired.
You don't know SJ was even a target for the job. You don't know who the club may have spoken to or been knocked back by. Just keep slagging the club off without any facts.....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:58:34 PM by Wigmore »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #781 on: March 20, 2019, 11:58:40 PM »
You don't know he was even a target for the job. You don't know who the club may have spoken to or been knocked back by. Just keep slagging the club off without any facts.....

Not often I agree with 82, but if you don't think the club has made a balls up of this sacking/appointment I'm not sure what they would need to do wrong to incur your ire... It's an absolutely abysmal performance in what is a straightforward market especially when your prime target is out of work.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »

Not often I agree with 82, but if you don't think the club has made a balls up of this sacking/appointment I'm not sure what they would need to do wrong to incur your ire... It's an absolutely abysmal performance in what is a straightforward market especially when your prime target is out of work.
Perhaps your prime target was not the club's prime target. :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #783 on: March 21, 2019, 12:16:21 AM »
Perhaps your prime target was not the club's prime target. :D

Except it obviously was/is.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #784 on: March 21, 2019, 03:15:09 AM »

and you know that how?
Don't call me Walt

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2019, 04:21:19 AM »
What concerns me most in this latest development is the lack of a vision (plan) / investment in the managerial position. The manager (head coach) of the team is arguably the most important appointment in the club. It would make sense to assign the right amount of money to make sure you get the right appointment. If you look back on our recent history the negligence, lack of vision and lack of investment in the manager has got us into the position we are in.
Let's go back and take a look...Di Matteo is the last manager we "prized" away from a team (and that was MK Dons in a lower division). We have refused to pay compensation and so have always employed managers out of work. Pepe Mel wasn't able to bring the backroom team he wanted because of money. Alan Irvine was such a shock at the time because we wouldn't pay money for managers that had certain demands and they wanted control but we wanted a "head coach". Pardew was mates with Nick Hammond and was out of work. When it comes to appointing managers Hodgson was the last one that felt like a coup or got me excited (where we paid good money to the manager) but we only got him because he failed at Liverpool and needed to rebuild his reputation and was also out of work. Pulis was out of work.
It just seems we don't want to invest in a decent manager and don't have a long term vision of what we want him to do. I have said it many times on here but in looking at our recent appointments who assumes anyone at the top of the club knows what they are doing. Look at this list and tell me what the thinking was.
Moore
Pardew
Pulis
Irvine
Mel
Clarke

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #786 on: March 21, 2019, 06:28:09 AM »
We have no idea yet whether Shan has the tactical knowledge/experience to be able to cope in a difficult situation, so far he hasn't needed to come from behind or play with 10 men. When we go 1-0 down in the play-off final and go down to 10 men I would rather have a manager who will have experienced it before and will know what to do.
Albeit the growing minority, I can’t get my head around th ‘don’t change it because we are winning thoughts.
What happens when/if:-
WBA 1 BIRMINGHAM 1
Millwall 0 WBA 0
Bristol C 4 WBA 0
WBA 1 Preston 2
WBA 1 Hull 1
3 PTS from 15, out of form and clinging to 6th place for a play off semi final vs a better team - season up in smoke and heading downhill.

My biggest worry is the past managerial decisions, (except Hodgson and Pulis*), have been cheap skate and small time.
*Pulis was a perfect choice for the position we were in and I am sure Peace would have fired him before last season even started.

Sleepwalking back to no mans land fast - such a wasted opportunity IMO

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #787 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
Considering that we don't know too much about what has happened (and what is now happening) at the club there seems to be some emotive language and harsh judgements flying about.

Shambles?
Really? I would reserve that for the time when WBA have such a run of results (and zero morale) as we suffered when the dad dancing charlatan was in charge.

Lack of progress in signing a new manager?
Although WBA have not achieved this objective, can anybody confirm who has been approached and what was their response, as all the so-called ITK clickbait journo's seem clueless and/or contradictory?  If not all this talk about cheap options and incompetence is mere uninformed speculation. I have not seen one syllable about Shan's future within the club after his caretaker role, but he is being promoted (negatively) as a long term appointee or alternatively being flung out on his ear.

Crisis?
When we face a 12 point deduction for FFP failures, or the players haven't been paid or the club faces administration, I will agree with the use of the word. Until then I will allow myself to be disappointed with the unfolding saga - nothing more.

You remind me of a bloke from way way back.
His name was Nero, I believe he was a bit of a violin player.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #788 on: March 21, 2019, 06:44:17 AM »

I Know for a fact it wasn't and have stated in a previous post who the prime target was and why he's not at the club at the moment.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #789 on: March 21, 2019, 06:47:16 AM »

I didn't say that, read back.

No but you did say people are talking nonsense, which will get deleted. Simple

Same as ‘give your head a wobble’. Debate without getting personal and your posts won’t get deleted
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #790 on: March 21, 2019, 07:03:24 AM »
We don't know what any appointed manager will achieve but what has Shan achieved so far?
He managed to upset Brentford manager for being defensive and also his admiration for how we played.
After all we did have more than a dozen corners.
He has left out Harper who is promising but not good enough for a certain start.
Left out Livermore who offers very little but always seemed to start under DM.
Picked Kyle Edwards who should have been given a chance at the start of the season.
I would like to see how he proceeds before rushing to make an appointment.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #791 on: March 21, 2019, 08:06:03 AM »
You remind me of a bloke from way way back.
His name was Nero, I believe he was a bit of a violin player.

Your historical knowledge is as poor as your knowledge of what is happening within WBAFC. :D

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »
Albeit the growing minority, I can’t get my head around th ‘don’t change it because we are winning thoughts.
What happens when/if:-
WBA 1 BIRMINGHAM 1
Millwall 0 WBA 0
Bristol C 4 WBA 0
WBA 1 Preston 2
WBA 1 Hull 1
3 PTS from 15, out of form and clinging to 6th place for a play off semi final vs a better team - season up in smoke and heading downhill.

My biggest worry is the past managerial decisions, (except Hodgson and Pulis*), have been cheap skate and small time.
*Pulis was a perfect choice for the position we were in and I am sure Peace would have fired him before last season even started.

Sleepwalking back to no mans land fast - such a wasted opportunity IMO

IMO the reasoning behind leaving JS in place for the remainder of the season is far deeper than "don't change it because we're winning".
As you pointed out, there is a risk, but there is also clearly a synergy in the club at the moment, that wasn't there with DM/GJ.
Making a permanent appointment at this stage wouldn't guarantee promotion, & I'm not sure we'd gain any longer term advantage either.

I'm not advocating JS as a longer term solution, but I do think it's worth the risk, provided we do make a permanent appointment early in the summer.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
The more I think about it the more I think it is non sensical NOT to appoint new manager ASAP.  Surely any new bloke will need time to asses what he has and what will be needed playing wise for whatever division we find ourselves in. We have so many loans and out of contract situations to be resolved or replaced it won't be possible to do all the necessary if the appoint ments get left until the start of pre season, add to this any scouting /coaching changes that the incoming may want to make..As the sackings had apparently been under consideration since November the powers that be should have had plenty of time to consider who the next taxi on the rank should be and the delay is inexcusable !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
Surely the "cheap" option would have been to keep Moore, as, i presume, we will now have to pay him and Jones off?
I think there has to be more to the sacking than a run of 3 bad results (I don't believe for a second that style of play or pi$$ing about at the back had anything to do with it as neither  Lai nor Jenkins know anything about football or care one jot about fans opinion. Yes our home form was poor but that was offset with terrific away form so the win % was still very good.). If not then it is a serious, and costly, error on their part to do it without having a definitive plan to see out the season.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »
......... anybody would think we don't have a clear plan moving forward, imagine that  :o  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
You don't need to know much about football to know that our tactics were consistantly causing us problems at the back.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: March 21, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »
The more I think about it the more I think it is non sensical NOT to appoint new manager ASAP.  Surely any new bloke will need time to asses what he has and what will be needed playing wise for whatever division we find ourselves in. We have so many loans and out of contract situations to be resolved or replaced it won't be possible to do all the necessary if the appoint ments get left until the start of pre season, add to this any scouting /coaching changes that the incoming may want to make..As the sackings had apparently been under consideration since November the powers that be should have had plenty of time to consider who the next taxi on the rank should be and the delay is inexcusable !!

Thats alright, but until the club know which division we will be in, its impossible to set budgets. Without a budget, what job do we "sell" to a prospective manager ?
I can see the issue the club faces with appointing a permanent manager at the moment (which they should have foreseen), and I can see that a "temporary solution" is the way forward, however its imperative that the temp solution is given EVERY tool and motivation available, thats why i would advocate an SGM (or equivalent, can there be one?) to support and advise Shan. Would SGM do it AGAIN? god and SGM are the only ones who can answer that. Also Shan would have to want / accept this support.
One final thought JS appears to have done a good job with the kids, he should be given some form of guarantee that his job is secure long term, otherwise one bad result or refereeing decision could seriously undermine his confidence and therefore performance.

Thems my onions anyway.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
I guess if Shan gets an experienced person to assist it might be ok! Really depends who it is.

I don't know why would sack Moore so hastily though and then not go all out for an adequate replacement.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
If The management had lined up someone to take over following the sacking of DM then I would agree that to get him in straightaway would have been the right approach.  However, they didn't and I can't see an advantage of rushing someone in for the last games of the season - certainly not some of the names that have been bandied about.

At least Shan knows the capabilities of the players - including the young players.  It should be made clear that he is the caretaker.

I'm not bothered either way whether we are promoted straight back to a league in which we serve as the equivalent of film extras or cannon fodder to the richest teams.   Non-promotion might even persuade GL to cut his losses and sell us off at a discount.  It just depends what sort of club we want.  I dare say an Allardyce / Pulis hybrid could keep us in the PL by playing drab football and sacrificing any cup ambitions. 

So let's not make any desperate moves or we will end up with Pardew mark 2  (I won't say or worse: such a creature does not exist)
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes