Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 268197 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Pie in the sky stuff John. There will be no crowds at football until it's safe to attend in the normal pre-Covid manner.

I'm at a loss to know where clubs outside the EPL are going to get revenue from then, as others have said the current model just don't work.

It doesn't look as though covid19 is going anywhere soon, so it's going to be down to managed solutions.

I read recently, that the Italian Government have laid down a challenge for Architects to design a model where restaurants can work effectively with social distancing.
I looks as though they have recognised we're in this for the long haul.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

I'm at a loss to know where clubs outside the EPL are going to get revenue from then, as others have said the current model just don't work.

It doesn't look as though covid19 is going anywhere soon, so it's going to be down to managed solutions.

I read recently, that the Italian Government have laid down a challenge for Architects to design a model where restaurants can work effectively with social distancing.
I looks as though they have recognised we're in this for the long haul.

Unfortunately it's a straightforward solution,  many of the EFL clubs with have to go semi professional. The ramifications of COVID-19 on lower league football are huge.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

From John Percy with paywalled article attached.

Hull City are today revealed as the first Championship club to oppose season restart, insisting the season must be voided in a letter to EFL chairman Rick Parry & the 23 clubs. Details here, with vice-chairman Ehab Allam outlining "serious concerns"

Rough translation of serious concerns etc "Having sold our best two players in January my club is dropping like a stone toward relegation. I do not like the prospect of League One football can someone somewhere do something about it."

This is like a game of whack a mole as soon as one Chairman with a self interested piece of nonsense is hit on the head another one pops up.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

From John Percy with paywalled article attached.

Hull City are today revealed as the first Championship club to oppose season restart, insisting the season must be voided in a letter to EFL chairman Rick Parry & the 23 clubs. Details here, with vice-chairman Ehab Allam outlining "serious concerns"

Rough translation of serious concerns etc "Having sold our best two players in January my club is dropping like a stone toward relegation. I do not like the prospect of League One football can someone somewhere do something about it."

This is like a game of whack a mole as soon as one Chairman with a self interested piece of nonsense is hit on the head another one pops up.

I think his "serious concern" is that the club have been up for sale for something like 5 years with hardly a sniff of interest and with relegation to league 1 that lack of interest will just be compounded.

They have been, as you say, dropping like a stone and were likely to be relegated.They were bottom of the league on form with no sign of an upturn in form.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

I think his "serious concern" is that the club have been up for sale for something like 5 years with hardly a sniff of interest and with relegation to league 1 that lack of interest will just be compounded.

They have been, as you say, dropping like a stone and were likely to be relegated.They were bottom of the league on form with no sign of an upturn in form.

However slim their prospects of getting a sale were prior to the close down they are virtually none existent now almost regardless of which division they are in. I doubt most owners in the Championship could give their clubs away now
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:10:48 PM by Standaman »

Topman

• Youth Baggie

Sorry to ask a question that may have already been asked, but if and when games come back, behind closed doors, do we know if the fixtures will run in the original same order? I am certainly someone who is not looking forward to the prospects of behind closed doors games, as i have said before I fear the outcome of many games, it will be a leveler. That makes the Blues game, where we left off from very dangerous as a first match

KN22

• Senior Baggie

If it restarts then yes, the games will run in the original pecking order as I understand it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

However slim their prospects of getting a sale were prior to the close down they are virtually none existent now almost regardless of which division they are in. I doubt most owners in the Championship could give their clubs away now

And just when everybody thought WBA was watertight  :)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Just as a matter of interest, where do people think WBA will get revenue from (to pay players for example) if we continue with a bcd strategy.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

I can see the mid-table teams having a big impact on things. Firstly, they will be happy with a curtailment having nothing to play for and will not be keen on costs such as taking staff of furlough and testing. Secondly are they likely to put much effort into their 'pre-season' if football does restart?..that could leave top/bottom clubs with some easier matches.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Just as a matter of interest, where do people think WBA will get revenue from (to pay players for example) if we continue with a bcd strategy.

We still have another year of parachute payments, not as big as the other two years but still a bit extra

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

As it was prior to Covid-19 Albion can survive without matchday revenue. Lower down you go the less that is true, and it is a sharp drop off.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

As it was prior to Covid-19 Albion can survive without matchday revenue. Lower down you go the less that is true, and it is a sharp drop off.
We still have another year of parachute payments, not as big as the other two years but still a bit extra

Not guaranteed & even if it is, it's around £15 million, enough to pay 15 players on £20k a week.
In the Champs, (assuming no relegation from the prem), there would be 6 clubs who would have parachute money, The rest would exist entirely on self generated income.
As Stan says it's unlikely that owners will cough up, so for EFL football to continue there has to be an income stream.

My proposal for social distanced attendance got batted away, so I'm wondering if anybody else has any ideas.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

They might for the remainder of this season, but what about next?

Van Tam said, last night, we could be with this for up to two years.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

They might for the remainder of this season, but what about next?

Van Tam said, last night, we could be with this for up to two years.

Albion who will be promoted at the end of this season will be fine for 3 or 4 seasons at least without matchday revenue.

We will start to see smaller squads and as contracts end, lower wages but we will be fine. There are 50 clubs around and below us who probably won't, but we just aren't a good example.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

We should play out the season and get promoted or get promoted on a PPG basis. Our own financial future is then secure, although it remains to be seen what effect playing behind closed doors will have on the TV deal next season. A lot of clubs in the championship and below are going to be in huge difficulty financially, particularly league 1 & 2. I'd expect a combined bail out from the government and the PL to keep them ticking over for a year. But all of that can only be looked at once this season is dealt with. So the sooner clubs get playing again behind closed doors the better.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

It is really difficult Ito see exactly where the money comes from. A lot depends on how much of the money that has already been paid to the club is refundable in the current circumstances. There is some broadcast revenue and maybe a bit from pay per view and commercial income from pitch side advertising.

In an earlier post I suggested that BCD in the Championship was barely sustainable and players need to take a wage cut of anything up to 90% to make it work.

We simply don't know going forward how football finance works anymore.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

It is really difficult Ito see exactly where the money comes from. A lot depends on how much of the money that has already been paid to the club is refundable in the current circumstances. There is some broadcast revenue and maybe a bit from pay per view and commercial income from pitch side advertising.

In an earlier post I suggested that BCD in the Championship was barely sustainable and players need to take a wage cut of anything up to 90% to make it work.

We simply don't know going forward how football finance works anymore.

One solution could be a WBA unique subscription media channel, but I don't know what the set-up costs would be.
Think I'd be happy to pay around £50 a month for all home matches, & it might be possible to make arrangements for viewing away matches.

I'd still subscribe to sky for EPL games.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

One solution could be a WBA unique subscription media channel, but I don't know what the set-up costs would be.
Think I'd be happy to pay around £50 a month for all home matches, & it might be possible to make arrangements for viewing away matches.

I'd still subscribe to sky for EPL games.

The iFollow service is kinda that.  Price was different between UK and outside the UK viewers though.  It was around £50 for UK, that included all matches that weren't at 3pm Saturday or a live broadcast on Sky\BT Sport (hence the price being low).  If you were outside the UK, or used a VPN, then for £120(? can't remember exact prices), you got all the matches except the live broadcast ones.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

majority of clubs voted to end season, it was only Rangers and Hearts who opposed in top division, Slipalot and Gers didn't want Boys to win nine in a row where as Jambo's were bottom of league

The bullying, coercion & changing of votes would show otherwise...

They should, like the Football and Premier League have voided the season.

This has been an embarrassing pantomime of self interest and greed in the middle of a pandemic.

I really could not give a rubbish about promotion. Void the season and return when it is safe for all to do so.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

The bullying, coercion & changing of votes would show otherwise...

They should, like the Football and Premier League have voided the season.

This has been an embarrassing pantomime of self interest and greed in the middle of a pandemic.

I really could not give a rubbish about promotion. Void the season and return when it is safe for all to do so.

Originally, I would have liked the season to have finished, but as time has gone on, football has become less important, & I'm pretty indifferent to it now.
On the other hand, I'm quite attached to WBA, & I'm really proud of the efforts the club & the Albion Foundation has made to help it's older fans & the community at large.
As the pandemic has developed, it's becoming increasingly likely that the virus is going to be around for a lot longer than first thought, & will have a significant impact on next season.

So, although I'm relaxed, in principle, to void the season, it would have to be a measured void to help prevent clubs going bust, & that would require goodwill all round.
I'm not seeing too much of that at the moment.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

We should play out the season and get promoted or get promoted on a PPG basis. Our own financial future is then secure, although it remains to be seen what effect playing behind closed doors will have on the TV deal next season. A lot of clubs in the championship and below are going to be in huge difficulty financially, particularly league 1 & 2. I'd expect a combined bail out from the government and the PL to keep them ticking over for a year. But all of that can only be looked at once this season is dealt with. So the sooner clubs get playing again behind closed doors the better.

I can't see the government bailing football out. There are a lot of industries struggling because of this, airlines, hospitality industry, house market, transport industry just to name a few .  I think the government would be even less popular than it is now if they decided to bail out an industry which is paying its workers extraordinary amounts of wages.

Football has long been an industry not in touch with the real world and sooner or later the bubble was going to burst. It was never sustainable for a long period of time.

Football has got to sort itself out and that could mean div 1 and 2 going part time and premiership and championship wages being reduced drastically.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

I do not believe the the season will be completed. I fear that self interest in some Premier League clubs will bring that division to a close, without any relegation. That will leave the Championship in the same boat, with no alternative to ending the season with no promotion or relegation. I’m sure, if that is how it turns out, that there will be plenty of lawyers rubbing their hands with glee with the prospect of the ensuing litigation.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

I do not believe the the season will be completed. I fear that self interest in some Premier League clubs will bring that division to a close, without any relegation. That will leave the Championship in the same boat, with no alternative to ending the season with no promotion or relegation. I’m sure, if that is how it turns out, that there will be plenty of lawyers rubbing their hands with glee with the prospect of the ensuing litigation.

This would be the last of last resorts, brought about only by a massive 2nd spike. The Premier League are desperate to get back playing. Hence the outlay on Project Restart.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

PPG or play behind closed doors, baffled by Albion fans who would be happy to void season. Over three quarters of season played one of two outstanding teams in Championship, get out of this league before we're stuck in it for a while do you not remember the sixteen years in the wilderness when club nearly went to the wall? Seals down the road will be laughing into cornflakes with some of comments on here.