Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 268200 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Am I the only one who still thinks this season will definitely be completed?

And me
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Just work out the average points per game so far and calculate for remaining games.
Clubs have to accept it, so do the fans.

IF this season cannot be completed this is the only remotely fair way of tying the tables up with around 80% of a season completed.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Not saying it can’t be done, but you would need hotels to be open...hotels have bars, people miss the pub
I can see groups of 20-30 year olds heading to said hotels to get a drink and see their idols ...how would you stop it?

Hope you are right mate.  But the more I learn and listen to the more pessimistic I become.  There will be no vaccine on release this year given the progress of trials, and social distancing will be with us for some time yet. 

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Not saying it can’t be done, but you would need hotels to be open...hotels have bars, people miss the pub
I can see groups of 20-30 year olds heading to said hotels to get a drink and see their idols ...how would you stop it?

Keep the bar closed as per social distancing re the pubs.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Just all to do with money at the end of the day, if some one can tell me a big reason why it needs to resume anytime soon that isn’t financial I’d like to hear it

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

Just all to do with money at the end of the day, if some one can tell me a big reason why it needs to resume anytime soon that isn’t financial I’d like to hear it

There are other reasons such as starting next season on time, player contracts and sorting European places in case there is a resumption of European games. They also may be thinking if they don't start in June, why would later months be any better? I'm only playing devils advocate though, I can't see it happening.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

I think that the Premier League is suffering from its own delusion, no other major leagues in Europe are even back training yet, most of those are ahead of us in recovery and ending lockdown, so to think we can get players fit and ready to go including setbacks,
 testing and potential isolations, just can not see it happening.
Surely it would be better to stop the season now, all finish lockdown and get ready for a new season start hopefully by November.
Baggie in Southampton

geoff

• WBA Coach

Am I the only one who still thinks this season will definitely be completed?

I'm with you Jacko, to much money at stake for it not to.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

I think that the Premier League is suffering from its own delusion, no other major leagues in Europe are even back training yet, most of those are ahead of us in recovery and ending lockdown, so to think we can get players fit and ready to go including setbacks,
 testing and potential isolations, just can not see it happening.
Surely it would be better to stop the season now, all finish lockdown and get ready for a new season start hopefully by November.

Serie A on Monday and La Liga on the 11th are current training commencement dates. I think first week of June we will be back training.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

There are other reasons such as starting next season on time, player contracts and sorting European places in case there is a resumption of European games. They also may be thinking if they don't start in June, why would later months be any better? I'm only playing devils advocate though, I can't see it happening.

Still all comes down to money though mate, in the grand scheme of things it can all wait can’t it? If UEFA say it needs to be finished for European places then just have to say ‘no sorry, we feel it isn’t safe or practical to do so. We won’t be entering any teams into European competition’ that won’t happen as the teams and the league will lose money.

It doesn’t really matter when we start next season either does it? Sure over time it will get back to August - May.

I think the best thing to do in an actual ‘football world’ is to give Liverpool the league title, no one deep down is going to think that is a scandal even though it would be funny to see them not awarded it. No relegation and then  promote the teams in automatic slots.

Like I have said previously though, if that were to happen we would need premierleague owners to agree to split money by 22 teams instead of 20.

Finances again deciding it.

Basically finish the season now and resume when fully safe to, whenever that may be.

League 1 and league 2 teams are stuffed as far as I can see whatever happens unless the government or someone saves them, they run on gate receipts and there won’t be any of that until at least 2021 so how they keep their business ticking over i have no idea

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:51:29 AM by leeiswba »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

I think league 1 and 2 may decide to promote sides anyway. There is one promotion near enough guaranteed and that is Barrow getting into the football league for the first time in around 45 years as somebody needs to replace Bury. Unsure if league 1 and league 2 sides would use that precedent to try to force their own promotions.
Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

I'm with you Jacko, to much money at stake for it not to.
I think so, and the government will support it because they will calculate that a good dose of football on the telly will be solid "prolefeed" to keep us off the streets a bit more.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I think so, and the government will support it because they will calculate that a good dose of football on the telly will be solid "prolefeed" to keep us off the streets a bit more.

I think that's a solid argument for the EPL, & I suspect that EPL make a decent contribution to the treasury, but I don't think the argument holds the same weight in the EFL.
I wouldn't be surprised to see football go ahead, but limited to EPL
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

I believe the current positions of the leagues from various articles from various football journalists on Twitter are  League1+2 are happy for season to end and results stand for financial reasons. EFL and EPL want to play on and finish the seasons ASAP.

As long as the majority of teams are happy with those choices then so be it.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Its obvious that money is a main factor in wanting to complete the Leagues. However,  I also think the Government may be happy to allow people some entertainment to look forward to when they are being locked up most of the time. I'll be honest and say it will be brighten up my weekends.
But I agree its not going to look good standing for a minute's silence before games and then sending out another message on social distancing.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Its obvious that money is a main factor in wanting to complete the Leagues. However,  I also think the Government may be happy to allow people some entertainment to look forward to when they are being locked up most of the time. I'll be honest and say it will be brighten up my weekends.
But I agree its not going to look good standing for a minute's silence before games and then sending out another message on social distancing.

Are they doing a minutes silence? That makes no sense. Just the play the games, get in, get out.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

I think that the Premier League is suffering from its own delusion, no other major leagues in Europe are even back training yet.....

Pretty sure Bundesliga clubs were back in training early on in April.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Pretty sure Bundesliga clubs were back in training early on in April.

Yes Dan is right, they have been back a month near enough. The big boy leagues are getting on with it or getting ready too.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Are they doing a minutes silence? That makes no sense. Just the play the games, get in, get out.
Given the situation around us, it would be grossly insensitive not to do a minute's silence.
They already do it regularly as an act of respect for single people who have passed away.

I'm just wondering how goals would be celebrated though, keeping social distancing. Just shout across, yep!? 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Given the situation around us, it would be grossly insensitive not to do a minute's silence.
They already do it regularly as an act of respect for single people who have passed away.

I'm just wondering how goals would be celebrated though, keeping social distancing. Just shout across, yep!?

I imagine that will be drilled into them. I also expect that it will be broken sometimes. Human nature being what it is.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

I think that's a solid argument for the EPL, & I suspect that EPL make a decent contribution to the treasury, but I don't think the argument holds the same weight in the EFL.
I wouldn't be surprised to see football go ahead, but limited to EPL
I’d be surprised if the champ doesn’t generate more money than the top leagues in France, Germany and Italy ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

I imagine that will be drilled into them. I also expect that it will be broken sometimes. Human nature being what it is.
Why?

If you can go up for a header, you can celebrate a goal ?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I’d be surprised if the champ doesn’t generate more money than the top leagues in France, Germany and Italy ?

You reckon? Where from?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Why?

If you can go up for a header, you can celebrate a goal ?

No they will be told NOT to celebrate regardless but i think people will celebrate time to time for a short while then quickly realise their mistake.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

You reckon? Where from?

TV revenue alone