Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 268194 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Would the BBC and ITV be able to show live behind closed doors matches for free,because I don't have sky.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

I doubt it, the idea would be to get in the lost spectator revenue.
Baggie in Southampton

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Would the BBC and ITV be able to show live behind closed doors matches for free,because I don't have sky.

Very much doubt it mate - believe the EFL have their televised deals with Quest and Sky Sports
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Am I the only one who thinks behind closed doors is an awful idea. Taking out the fact there is still risk, yes I know much reduced. But in terms of our promotion I feel it’s right back in the mix now. Don’t underestimate the impact crowds have. I think they’ll be some very strange results as certain teams will totally down tools in thier fans are not therr
I said this earlier in the chain , I think it is the only aspect that is different per team.
Fitness, risk of injury will be the sa,e across (generally) but the crowd are a massive factor...ours makes noise....reading won’t notice 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Lack of a crowd may benefit some of the teams down the bottom. The players won't hear moans and groans when they mishit a pass, concede a goal etc. On the flip side the crowd won't be there to give them impetus if they start playing well. 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other for me.

Might benefit Bartley and Johnstone!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

I think Sky will give away a certain number of games to free to air partly as a gesture of solidarity or whatever you want to call it, but also because it would be fantastic marketing for them, the "people's game" and all that, insist on having their logos all over it.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52317944

The English Football League is planning to stream every remaining game live once the season restarts, chairman Rick Parry has said in a letter to fans.

alex1

• WBA Coach

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52317944

The English Football League is planning to stream every remaining game live once the season restarts, chairman Rick Parry has said in a letter to fans.
If Rick Parry and the EFL are making such a big announcement of showing every remaining game live, I doubt they would only allow those with Sky subscriptions to watch them. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

If Rick Parry and the EFL are making such a big announcement of showing every remaining game live, I doubt they would only allow those with Sky subscriptions to watch them.

Didn't clubs say weeks ago that games would be screened through iFollow for free?

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Got no real interest in games behind closed doors, watched a couple in the past and whatever competition it’s been in it has just been completely awful and like a training match with no intensity.

Not really fussed what they do but looks as if behind closed doors will be the easiest and most sensible. Hopefully they just get them over and out the way as soon as possible from when it’s safe to resume.

It’s all just about money really isn’t it, the thought of us winning promotion and not being there or part of it is pretty rubbish and I can’t say I will be excited over it but unfortunately due to finances it has to be finished and we have to make sure we do go up

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Play off final at wembley behind closed doors?!! sounds horrible.

In fact why at wembley, where would be academic as long as its neutral (the Hawthorns??)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Intresting twitter thread from Rory Smith

It's starting to feel like the PL is going to talk itself into abandoning the season at some point. My impression is whether you think that's right breaks down to some extent on club lines, but also which bits of a very convoluted conversation have resonated most. Some thoughts:

The logic that we must protect next season seems to be based on the idea that it can, in some way, be "normal." But it won't be normal, because most estimates seem to be we won't get fans in stadiums until some time next year. Starting in Aug/Sept with fans is not on the cards.

It might also be vulnerable to another wave and another lockdown, which is why (as well as the economic demands/sporting integrity stuff) to me finishing this one may as well be the priority. Completing this one is probably easier than completing the next one.)

The contracts thing: it is a small percentage of players who are out of contract this summer (though it's higher the lower down you go). There's no perfect solution to this, but it feels like "Pedro has been left in limbo" and "clubs will go to the wall" are not equal concerns.

I spoke to a non-PL player who's out of contract this summer yesterday. He wants to leave his current club, but he said he'd obviously sign an extension for a couple of months if that's what was needed. "It's either that or don't have a job," as he put it.

That would, probably, come with a caveat - something to protect him in case of injury - and it may be that Fifa has to open a pre-registration window over the summer (so you can sign a contract for the start of next season even as you carry on playing this one).

Most players and clubs would, I think, follow that same logic. A few wouldn't, likely for valid reasons, but again: there is no perfect solution. You can't base rules around exceptions. You're talking a tiny proportion of cases against the wellbeing of the game as a whole.

Fifa could help a bit here, too: the transfer window is really a registration window. So shift it: say the registration window opens at a certain point, so even if players don't play for their old club, at least they're not playing for their new one.

Happy to be corrected but not sure how that would contravene national contract law. You'd still have some players unable to play, or clubs unwilling to pay them, but you'd be talking very small numbers indeed. I genuinely don't think any of this needs to be a dealbreaker.

One final thought: any time anyone mentions finishing the season without fans or in July or whatever, lots of people immediately declare it should be voided. That's fine; it is a valid opinion. But not sure voiding is on the cards, either.

Belgium (which will ratify next week) and Scotland (in the lower leagues) have frozen, not voided. They're declaring champions (and probably promoting and relegating). I *think* that's because they think Uefa wants a result to the season, even if it's not completed.

So if the choice is between completing the season - whenever that might be, with a time limit of, say, late August - or freezing it (Liverpool champions, Leeds promoted, Leicester in the CL, bottom three down), does that change your mind? Because that may be the choice.

It is somewhat out of step with the EFL prepare for the season to be completed sooner rather than latter (obviously behind closed doors) Yet the agenda in England will be set top down what the Premier League decides to do will be pivotal and as ever the EFL will be compelled to fall in line.

An extended period of behind closed doors operation could be the death knell for a number of league 1 & 2 clubs and voiding the season might be the better option with a restart at some point in the future when normality can resume. Plainly the clubs at both ends of their respective divisions have a huge vested interest but I for one cannot say our promotion is so important to justify the extinction of a number of other supporters clubs.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Whatever happens, the probability of some huge changes to the global game in the coming years has risen to the point where they are more likely than not.

The lack of revenue and the losses the likes of the premier league and la liga will face will likely see the European super league emerge in some format - even if that is initially via reform to the champions league.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some cross border leagues too, with Rangers or Celtic joining the premier league structure. I remember reading thag when the NHL(i believe) had it's lockdown/lock out, it caused years worth of damage that they have never really recovered from.

While we might get promotion by default, I struggle to believe the same money will be available to us as was originally on the cards back in January. Domestic league football will potentially wither away once we get going properly again for the 2021/2022 season (if we even restart properly at that stage).
Boing Boing

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I believe the games will be shown on ifollow, foc to sth's. Not sure if non sth's can buy a subscription.
The other option is now tv, where you can pay by match.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

I believe the games will be shown on ifollow, foc to sth's. Not sure if non sth's can buy a subscription.
The other option is now tv, where you can pay by match.

I’d have thought they will be on more things then I follow . Large majority of people wouldn’t even know what I follow is

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Anybody know what the transfer windows are or not?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Whatever happens, the probability of some huge changes to the global game in the coming years has risen to the point where they are more likely than not.

The lack of revenue and the losses the likes of the premier league and la liga will face will likely see the European super league emerge in some format - even if that is initially via reform to the champions league.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some cross border leagues too, with Rangers or Celtic joining the premier league structure. I remember reading thag when the NHL(i believe) had it's lockdown/lock out, it caused years worth of damage that they have never really recovered from.

While we might get promotion by default, I struggle to believe the same money will be available to us as was originally on the cards back in January. Domestic league football will potentially wither away once we get going properly again for the 2021/2022 season (if we even restart properly at that stage).
Understand your points,as a counter because it has been literally global and the impact will be felt across all nations/ all league doesn’t that mean that if we would have had £100m and will now have £40m , that would pass through on transfers and wages .
So Neymar was worth £200m and will now be worth £120m ....
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I’d have thought they will be on more things then I follow . Large majority of people wouldn’t even know what I follow is

My comment was in response to Liverbaggie who asked if the games would be on terrestial tv because he didn't have sky.

I understand the clubs have agreed to stream the games on ifollow free of charge to sth's.

It's likely that the subscription tv live contracts together with the highlights contracts will also be fulfilled, if so then yes, they will also be live on sky etc & on the NowTV sky sports pack,

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Hey baggiejohn, thanks for your advice, trouble is I don't understand any of it,too technical for me.
If its not BBC or ITV or quest then I've no hope of watching any live behind closed door matches foc.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

@Liverbaggie, paste the link below into your browsers search bar and it will take you to the WBAFC options page, pick an option and register and "williams yeah antees bruvva"

https://www.wba.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Hey baggiejohn, thanks for your advice, trouble is I don't understand any of it,too technical for me.
If its not BBC or ITV or quest then I've no hope of watching any live behind closed door matches foc.

If you follow Albionics' link to the WBA website for ifollow, it will stream the game to your computer/phone etc. It's likely to be free if you are a season ticket holder.
Not sure what happens if you don't have a season ticket.

If you have an hdmi connection on the back of your tv (looks a bit like a usb port, but it will have a label HDMI) you can connect a NOWTV device which will enable you to view Sky Sports on your tv via the internet.
Here's a link to the NOWTV device which you can buy

https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

This is how you install it

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-now-tv-smart-stick

Hope this helps

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Wow,thanks for the info guys.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

You might not need a now tv stick if you have smart TV which has the now tv app on it.

Or you could just watch now tv on your computer or smartphone.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:05:03 PM by BalisPen »

alex1

• WBA Coach

iFollow allows internet access to Championship and lower division matches for people who are abroad. The reason it wasn't opened up for the domestic public is the rule about not showing live football at 3 pm on Saturdays. I use it myself when I'm in Germany. You can buy for a season, month or individual matches. Obviously it is more economical if you don't buy individual matches. The one catch is that they don't cover Live Sky matches, which in WBA's case has meant every other week.

So the technology is there. Its just really whether the powers that be decide to charge or  how much.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:21:33 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

I can’t see professional sports events that attract crowds returning for a very long time in any “normal” way.

I also can’t see how they’ll be able to create that much revenue from streaming and TV rights to matches played behind closed doors. Some perhaps, but nowhere near enough to finance the fantasy money many in the sport have been used to.

This is going to be a very cold, extremely long deep-freeze for professional football (and many other sports besides). Who knows what it will look like on the other side of it.