Author Topic: Tony Mowbray  (Read 40390 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Mowbray
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »
Another job he's failed at since leaving Albion. He won the Championship here with by far the best squad of players in the division and I'm sure we won it with the lowest points total ever which means the rest of the teams in the Championship that year weren't very good. Also got to a semi final of the FA Cup because we avoided Premier League sides, We had to beat the mighty Bristol Rovers to get to the semis and then we bottled it against Pompey.
not really failed, he nearly got them promoted with an average side then got that team sold from under him and is having to rely heavily on loan players.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Mowbray was a dreadful PL manager. I know Pulis isn't popular but to want Mowbray over him is just daft. It was entertaining football sure, but we should have walked the league in 2006/7 with that squad.

His comments saying he'd rather we went down playing well than staying up playing badly still annoy me to this day.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2016, 02:17:02 PM »
Nothing personal Ive met Mogga and he's a lovely chap and his football phylosiphy is great but as a manager he was/is awful and it's being proved again, the championship winning season and cup run was brilliant but we lost a lot of games and as said above that squad should have won it far easier... In fact I would say Alan Irvine would have got that team promoted as champions.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »
Nothing personal Ive met Mogga and he's a lovely chap and his football phylosiphy is great but as a manager he was/is awful and it's being proved again, the championship winning season and cup run was brilliant but we lost a lot of games and as said above that squad should have won it far easier... In fact I would say Alan Irvine would have got that team promoted as champions.

Let's not be silly now  :D

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
Surely people aren't seriously suggesting we should be going in for a manager thats just been sacked/left a club bottom of league 1?  :o

Assume his next step is another league 1 or even league 2 club not a premier league club.

It doesn't really matter if he was good for us 7 years ago (he wasn't). Its the present day that matters

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
Rose tinted lenses and all that.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
I'd say we were a Scott Brown in the middle of the park away from staying up under Mowbray.

Thoroughly enjoyed his time with us and I personally think with our current personnel, particularly in defence, under Mowbray would be excellent.
Well said, Kris, I'm pleased to see some praise in this thread against a tide of unnecessarily and unjustifiably harsh criticism. We were in for both Brown and Thompson at the time of course, but failed to get them for whatever reason.

I'm really sad regarding how things went for Mogga at Coventry. The return to the Ricoh Arena should have heralded a renaissance for the club, but the owners (SISU) are continuing to smother it to death basically. The Coventry fans are desperate to get rid of SISU, but are powerless to do anything about it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Coventry have the lowest playing budget in the division, so Mogga had a hopeless task really.

Regarding what he did with us, it's absolutely laughable for people to say that he was awful. Tell me which other Albion manager has delivered a league title, FA Cup semi-final and a play-off final for Albion? Answer = no-one. Everyone who saw us win a league title before that is almost certainly dead and, even if they're not, they won't be able to remember it anyway, as they'd have been too young at the time.

Those claiming that we had an "easy" path to the FA Cup semi-final should look back at the standard of some of the opposition that we've lost to in cup competitions since Mogga left, or have you forgotten the likes of Northampton already?

I for one unequivocally wish Mogga all the best and hope it's not too long before he gets another job which actually comes with a chance of success. My wish for those who slag Mogga off is that Pulis gets his contract extended......

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »
Those who regard Mogga as having failed at Coventry (presumably having made no attempt to look at the situation at the club) might be interested in this statement from the Sky Blue (Supporters) Trust:

"The Sky Blue Trust is sad to see the departure of Tony Mowbray from the Club. He led us through an exciting season in 2015/16 - the most enjoyable for City fans in many years. We understand that when results go so badly from the start of the season, as they have for us this time with ten winless league games, attention focuses on the Manager. However, the Trust feels that most of the responsibility for our dreadful plight rests with the owners of the Club - SISU - and we believe it is they that should now be considering their position following their comprehensive mismanagement of our club.

Ian Dowie, Chris Coleman, Aidy Boothroyd, Andy Thorn, Mark Robins, Steven Pressley and now Tony Mowbray have all come and gone during their tenure. That suggests the problem lies far deeper than who the manager of the club, and that only a change of ownership will allow the club to move forward.

We therefore reiterate that SISU should follow Mowbray's honourable lead and put the club up for sale. We would also add that it is club chairman Tim Fisher under who’s (sic) stewardship the club has failed at every turn. We therefore feel strongly that, on this occasion, the wrong man has left the Club
."

Source: Coventry Telegraph
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:58:14 PM by WorcsWBA »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:42 PM »
Shame to see Mowbray leave Coventry but wish him well in the future.

We had some amazing times under him and the football was a joy but I still haven't forgiven him for what he did when he left after the whole we are in this together speech!!

He hasn't done well since leaving us which just shows the grass is not always greener on the other side, he was building something here
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
Way too stubborn for his own good.  The fact is in England a high percentage of goals are scored from set pieces, certainly not lost on Pulis.  Not tweaking things to being in some steel has cost him various jobs.  I mean having Greening and Valero in central midfield was utter tosh.  Look at the dross he signed at centre back Donk, Meite, Pele, Perry, Sodje.  So disappointing as the football offensively was a joy to watch at times.  All managers should be flexible in approach.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
The wages we paid were too low for Mowbrays style to succeed in the PL the year we went down.

Despite how it's gone I don't think he'll have any regrets about leaving us. After his playing career he couldn't turn down Celtic. He'll regret not being a success there,  and at Middlesbrough.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »
The season we went up in the championship under TM, was one of the best seasons in the 39 I've been supporting our fantastic club.

Would I take him back now? Not a chance. He has my respect but we have moved on.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
Coventry are in a mess . never forgive mowbury the way he bailed out to Celtic soon as season was over . his 1st game in charge was against the dingles which we won was it not . ?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
The season we went up in the championship under TM, was one of the best seasons in the 39 I've been supporting our fantastic club.

Would I take him back now? Not a chance. He has my respect but we have moved on.

Exactly my feelings , we were a joy to watch in his championship, cup run season but the season after we were boring, tippy tappy, blunt up front and fragile at the back. I reckon Peace would've got rid anyway after relegation hence why Mogga jumped.
Loved his philosophy and THAT season but we've moved on. Maddening that we moved onto Pulis but that's another thread.....

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
Exactly my feelings , we were a joy to watch in his championship, cup run season but the season after we were boring, tippy tappy, blunt up front and fragile at the back. I reckon Peace would've got rid anyway after relegation hence why Mogga jumped.
Loved his philosophy and THAT season but we've moved on. Maddening that we moved onto Pulis but that's another thread.....
Bit odd to mention Pulis since we had another 8 managers in charge between them (Appleton and Kelly had 1 game each and Downing had 6).

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »
Bit odd to mention Pulis since we had another 8 managers in charge between them (Appleton and Kelly had 1 game each and Downing had 6).

Not odd for me? If you want me to elaborate; Pulis is particularly relevant to me in that;
1) I'd mentioned Mowbray having a good (if, maybe idealistic) philosophy for football and the 08 season was one where we were one of the best sides in the country to watch if not the best.
2)around the 08 season, Pulis and Mowbray represented opposites in terms of style and philosophy - in other words Pulis' Stoke were ugly bit effective whilst we (in the Championship) were stylish and effective
3) there was significant rivalry between Mogga and Pulis' teams at the time (we were both vying for promotion then staying up, challenging for the same players on occasion (Carson:/)

For me personally, it is maddening to think back to how I felt about Pulis' Stoke then and to now see him managing Albion in a similar way - ugly but effective

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »
Not odd for me? If you want me to elaborate; Pulis is particularly relevant to me in that;
1) I'd mentioned Mowbray having a good (if, maybe idealistic) philosophy for football and the 08 season was one where we were one of the best sides in the country to watch if not the best.
2)around the 08 season, Pulis and Mowbray represented opposites in terms of style and philosophy - in other words Pulis' Stoke were ugly bit effective whilst we (in the Championship) were stylish and effective
3) there was significant rivalry between Mogga and Pulis' teams at the time (we were both vying for promotion then staying up, challenging for the same players on occasion (Carson:/)

For me personally, it is maddening to think back to how I felt about Pulis' Stoke then and to now see him managing Albion in a similar way - ugly but effective

Thanks for the clarity I see where you are coming from now.

As much as I would like to see Pulis replaced by a more progressive manager (or become more progressive himself) I would hope we wouldn't make the mistake of going for a Mowbray type manager but someone somewhere in between... a more easy on the eye playing style that is effective.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2016, 08:39:11 AM »
Thanks for the clarity I see where you are coming from now.

As much as I would like to see Pulis replaced by a more progressive manager (or become more progressive himself) I would hope we wouldn't make the mistake of going for a Mowbray type manager but someone somewhere in between... a more easy on the eye playing style that is effective.

Definitely, Mogga was found out in the premier league wasn't he whereas Pulis general approach is effective to a point (lower mid table). For a club like us to progress we probably need a Mogga and Pulis hybrid - couldn't see Mogga as assistant manager!?

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2016, 09:16:51 AM »
I'd say we were a Scott Brown in the middle of the park away from staying up under Mowbray.

Thoroughly enjoyed his time with us and I personally think with our current personnel, particularly in defence, under Mowbray would be excellent.

Didn't improve the defence and had both Dorrans and Mulumbu just sitting on the bench (when they were in their prime). They could have easily been utilised to give us those few extra points we needed to stay up.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2016, 10:05:41 AM »
The wages we paid were too low for Mowbrays style to succeed in the PL the year we went down.

Despite how it's gone I don't think he'll have any regrets about leaving us. After his playing career he couldn't turn down Celtic. He'll regret not being a success there,  and at Middlesbrough.

He was quoted as saying he didn't want to raise the wage ceiling too high as it would upset the players who got us up, thats why we went down the road of signing unproven players like Zuiverloon, outlaying £23m that summer. He was also given the chance to sign a striker that summer but said he was happy with the options he had, relying heavilly on goals from midfield which never came.

Players like Borja Valero were talented individuals but absolutely lost in the pace of the PL, that is what cost us.
I only go for the beer.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
And he kept playing that cretin Robinson when we had Cech on the bench who was a quality player, I remember one game over Xmas (might have been Spurs) Robinson was suspended so Cech played... We won he was man of the match but surprise surprise next league match Robinson was back in which makes me think he's a weak manager.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
And he kept playing that cretin Robinson when we had Cech on the bench who was a quality player, I remember one game over Xmas (might have been Spurs) Robinson was suspended so Cech played... We won he was man of the match but surprise surprise next league match Robinson was back in which makes me think he's a weak manager.
You'd never catch Pulis doing that kind of thing.....

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
With me it wasn't the fact that he left for Celtic it was the fact that he openly told the players that they owed the fans another season and then he was the first to jump ship.
That said I know he had one or two run ins with JP during the course of the season and came close to the sack on a least one occasion after being confronted over not scoring enough goals.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
With me it wasn't the fact that he left for Celtic it was the fact that he openly told the players that they owed the fans another season and then he was the first to jump ship.
That said I know he had one or two run ins with JP during the course of the season and came close to the sack on a least one occasion after being confronted over not scoring enough goals.
Perhaps something very significant happened between the 2 events you mentioned in your first sentence that made Mogga change his mind? I'd love to find out exactly what went on during the period in question, but Mogga will no doubt have signed the ubiquitous Peace NDA, so we'll probably never know.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
Shame to see Mowbray leave Coventry but wish him well in the future.

We had some amazing times under him and the football was a joy but I still haven't forgiven him for what he did when he left after the whole we are in this together speech!!

He hasn't done well since leaving us which just shows the grass is not always greener on the other side, he was building something here

That is spot on, some of Mowbrays football was amazing (West Brazil Albion...remember!)
The Celtic debacle was gut-wrenching, but hey its a long time ago now.

The man has endured lots of rubbish outside of football and I wish him well for the future.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!