Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662366 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #475 on: August 06, 2019, 02:33:56 AM »
He's just not very good. Lets in way too many soft goals. Poor signing.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #476 on: August 06, 2019, 05:58:31 AM »
He's just not very good. Lets in way too many soft goals. Poor signing.

Agree I have been calling for bond to be given a go for ages. Although I think billic will give him a run before he drops him
O Albion we love you

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: August 06, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »
The next Scot Carson, people will destroy any bit of confidence the lad may have by jumping on any error he makes and slaughtering him, the guy must be on edge constantly. He’s being compared to a bloke 10 years older than him. When foster was Johnstone’s age he’s getting slated for making numerous errors himself but everyone seems to have forgotten that. Give the lad a chance, stop getting on his back at every opportunity and see how he grows.

He's the next Scott Carson, but not for the reasons you mention.

He's a top-half championship keeper at best, just like Carson. If we go up and keep him in net, he'll get exposed, just like Carson.

Yes we were spoiled with Foster for the last few years, but that doesn't mean we can't do better than Johnstone. Henderson, who went to Sheffield United, would have been a better bet.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #478 on: August 06, 2019, 09:08:52 AM »
I don't think he's very good.
At best you can say hes adequate at the moment.
Decent shot stopper but struggles with any thing from distance that's on target.
I don't see him as being a scapegoat, I think most criticism on here is given as an honest opinion.
There are posters on here who see any form of criticism as being a negative slur or having a go, all I can say to them is take off the blue and white shades and have another look.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #479 on: August 06, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
Give the lad a chance, stop getting on his back at every opportunity and see how he grows.

He has palyed nearly 50 games for us now.  That's more than a chance and enough time to form an opinion.  He doesn't make me feel confident.  Obviously a good shot stopper, but when crosses or long shots come into the box I really worry.  Having said that last season he played behind a rather dodgy defence, so will be interesting to see what he looks like with something a bit more secure ahead of him.

I think he did one really effective long range throw out on Saturday, and I can remember a few last season.  I we can create the space by quickly turning defence into attack I'd like to see more of these.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #480 on: August 06, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
Just not good enough in any aspect. He is inconsistent varying between ok and poor. He doesn’t  command his area, his distribution has been fraught with poor decisions, and he takes an age to get down to low shots. His handling needs improvement, and he does not appear to be able to organise his defence. I do not doubt his courage nor his commitment, but he does not inspire any confidence and is, I repeat just not good enough.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: August 06, 2019, 12:40:47 PM »
He's decent as a reaction shot stopper - his movement is some of the poorest I've seen though so anything either side of him and he struggles.  See Saturday's goal, there's been many like that.  If you were the opposition you'd operate a "shoot on sight" policy.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #482 on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Before our first game I was going to make the point that I think we've got very little chance of getting promoted with Johnstone in goal. However, I didn't say it as I could have been rightly or wrongly accused of making comments that could potentially affect confidence before a game has even been played. Turns out he'll make mistakes whether he gets slated or not, so I'll say it now. We will not get promoted this season with him in goal. I thought he would at least give it 2-3 games before letting in a soft goal but he exceeded my expectations. Need a new keeper before the deadline or at least give Bond a chance as I doubt he can be much worse than Johnstone. Johnstone's kicking can be very good at times though, to be fair to him.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #483 on: August 10, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Soft goalkeeping today had next to nothing to do. One lofty cross he failed to come for has cost us 2 points today.

If we aren't going to play bond this is a position we should be looking to improve in January
O Albion we love you

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #484 on: August 10, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
Bond should play on Tuesday and if he puts in a good performance, he may force his way into the team.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: August 10, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »
Don't think in any way he was at fault for their goal
Baggie in Southampton

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
I thought he was glued to his line and should have come for the cross,need to watch it on TV later

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #487 on: August 10, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »
Glued to his line and unable to read the game. The free kick prior to the goal was so blatantly obvious.

Gibbs gave him a right mouthful following it.

Then the corner itself was a mish  mash from them all. The ball is still in the 6 yard box and should be gobbled up by the keeper.

He’s just very poor
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #488 on: August 10, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
I honestly thought we'd have seen a new keeper signed this summer. Johnstone is the main problem of our defensive issues for me.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #489 on: August 10, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
Yep, forgot how bad he is. MOre money wasted, imperative we get rid at the end of this season.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #490 on: August 10, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Needs to be dropped for Bond, complete liability.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #491 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »
I said this before the end of last season.
No contol and absolutely useless at crosses and long shots.
Bye bye. Please.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2019, 06:09:11 AM »
Agreed mate, just one of the fall guys, blamed and insulted, along with Livermore, Burke, HRK, Zohore (already), by so-called supporters.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:16:46 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:41 AM »
Agreed mate, just one of the fall guys, blamed and insulted, along with Livermore, Burke, HRK, Zohore (already), by so-called supporters.

Here we go again, pointing fingers at fans for posting criticism of players.
As I see it Johnstone has been below par for some time, the management would do well to take him out of the firing line, maybe he would benefit from a bit more coaching.
As for the others you mentioned Livermore had a decent game yesterday in my mind.
Burke? Blimey I can't for the life of me see what he offers the team.
HRK, offered more when he came on as sub than Ive seen from Zohore yet. Looks like a poor mans version of Rondon. Had one clear cut chance that he should have buried. Early days, hope I'm wrong but we could have been miss sold here.
Fans eh? how dare we.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
Watched their goal and don’t think he was to blame tbh. In the quest highlights did their corner that they scored come from the header that drifted wide from a millwall header just beforehand. Old age playing up

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #495 on: August 11, 2019, 08:53:53 AM »
We no longer play the suicide tactics of last year from the back , I always gave him the benefit of the doubt due to the above and a few other bits.
He needs to step up now starting with getting the basics right week in , week out .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #496 on: August 11, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
To be honest I haven't seen a replay of their goal yet and I'm down the opposite end of the ground but the ball seemed to be in the air for a while and not too far out so I was screaming for him to go and claim it. He's never been a commanding keeper though so I don't expect to develop into one now, its a shame we are comparing him to Foster really who was decent in that respect.

Bond should get the chance on Tuesday night and if he does well he'll be breathing down his neck.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #497 on: August 11, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
Here we go again, pointing fingers at fans for posting criticism of players.
As I see it Johnstone has been below par for some time, the management would do well to take him out of the firing line, maybe he would benefit from a bit more coaching.
As for the others you mentioned Livermore had a decent game yesterday in my mind.
Burke? Blimey I can't for the life of me see what he offers the team.
HRK, offered more when he came on as sub than Ive seen from Zohore yet. Looks like a poor mans version of Rondon. Had one clear cut chance that he should have buried. Early days, hope I'm wrong but we could have been miss sold here.
Fans eh? how dare we.
Says the man who suggested swapping Burke for Johnstone on the Burke thread. It's not criticism it's taking the mick.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:39:03 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #498 on: August 11, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
I would have him out of the team immediately
I've seen posts where people are sticking up for him based on the odd match when he makes a couple of save....that's his job
In general I'm not sure anyone can actually say he breeds confidence, I also don't think we can blame the poor keeping on the flawed practice of playing from the back last season.....it wouldn't make you st Ck on your line when the ball/defence/crowd are desperate for an authorative claim

We can go around in circles daily, some will defend some will chastise

My view is that he is well below the standard required and almost anybody else would be an upgrade
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #499 on: August 11, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »

Johnson is generally rubbish. Slow to get down to low shots. Doesn’t come off his line to claim enough crosses, poor positioning and lets in way too many from distance. We need a much better goal keeper if we have any designs on winning the league. Just common sense, I won’t hiss at him in the game but I can’t pretend he’s not a problem and Gibbs clearly feels the same. Looking forward to Bond playing on Tuesday.