Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718327 times)

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3150 on: June 05, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
Don't despair - only another 104 to be interviewed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3151 on: June 05, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
Bowyers contract runs out in a month so expect a lot more to be interviewed and then the day Bowyer becomes a freebie - BOOOM!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3152 on: June 05, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
Wish me luck lads, got an interview for the HC tonight. Might be an all nighter though, the ticket number I pulled off the roll was #226 and they're currently on #015.

Now, which tie do I wear... Blue and white or yellow and green?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3153 on: June 05, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
I know its unpopular opinion but i dont have a problem with the board taking their time and interviewing a number of different style / type managers.

Whatever happens we are going to have a rebuild this summer, we have no identity as a team on the pitch so whoever comes in gets to start with a blank canvas and build one.

As a club i would like to know more what the boards plan are but for the team, that comes down to the manager and what he wants to do so i see no problem in speaking to different candidates, seeing what they want to do and what their plans are and deciding the best option and let them start that rebuild, It has to the head coach who dictates how the team play.

Dont get me wrong, the club made a right balls up of the Darren Moore situation and i am not 100% confident they will get this right but the way they are approaching it seems sensible, any head coach worth having will of done his research on our players, have a contacts book of who he wants as his staff and type of players to bring in and i would assume all that will be presented to the board during interviews, if a potential head coach hasnt done that research and got that information, i wouldnt say they are correctly prepared for the job.

Not a lot is happening in the football world right and so with this rebuild long overdue, now is the time to not panic and make the correct decision.

I would imagine there was a shortlist but then Hughton gets the sack, he would be of interest to any championship club so they would be foolish not to speak to him, Bilic who previously didnt want the Albion managers job may look at again and think this is the chance to rebuild a good club, Bowyer until a 10 days ago was preparing for a playoff final so would imagine his focus would be on that, so if potentially better candidates become available who are better than what you originally targeted (not saying that is the case) then it makes sense to speak to them.

Of course there has to be a cutoff point and i would imagine the next week or 10 days a decision has to be made who they want and then appoint them ready for the start of preseason.

The club has made mistakes, the Darren Moore sacking and its aftermath, to the season ticket deadlines and as stated above i am far from convinced they will get this appointment right but right now they do have time to weigh up the best options and the time to judge will be when the appointment is made.

Another thing is people keep saying about wages, as we have shown the last few years, we do pay big money i believe Evans and Fletcher were both on around £70k a week, Greg and Sturridge over £100k a week, Pardew and Pulis wouldnt of been cheap, so we do pay, whether the people are right for the job is another thing.

Some reports say Labbadia wont be coming because of wages demands, others say we just dont fancy him yet people attach to the wage demands bit when none of us really know whats going on, the Albion do tend to keep things private when it comes to signings and appointments, much to the annoyance of us fans, but as frustrating as i find it, personally i think its the right way of doing it.

Cullompton baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3154 on: June 05, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
We need to give time to whoever sits in the big chair, not 6 months and sack him! if we give a 3 year contract - then 3 years need to run. if we finish 15th next year, then so be it! unless we get relegated of course! leave the man to build.
From Tividale to the Hawthorns

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3155 on: June 05, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »

Personally I think we are thrashing about in the dark  ::)

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3156 on: June 05, 2019, 06:18:12 PM »
We will keep interviewing until we get the person that settles for:

Accommodation
A 2 bed flat in Hansworth
Transport
A taxi to work from Star taxis of Halesowen
Wages
£8.50PH
Bonus
A pie & pint on match days

;)
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3157 on: June 05, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
Bowyer has been in management for just over 12 months. Not sure he'd be the right man for the rebuild we face.

I still think that Jokanovic is the stand out candidate by a mile.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3158 on: June 05, 2019, 06:27:04 PM »
We need to give time to whoever sits in the big chair, not 6 months and sack him! if we give a 3 year contract - then 3 years need to run. if we finish 15th next year, then so be it! unless we get relegated of course! leave the man to build.
But if the new guy doesn't get promoted, he will have failed, because that is the expectation?
I would favour a 1 year contract with automatic extension if we get promoted. That should motivate the right manager.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3159 on: June 05, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
Bilic only lasted 2 years at West Ham - failed club manager
Bilic is 50- if you haven't had any notable club success by that age, you're never going to.
Bilic - surely next to no knowledge of The Championship sides or potential lower league transfer targets which is likely to be all we can afford
Bilic - no charisma, no uplifting of players, doubtful man management skills.

Bilic -not wanted! He'll bring us more gloom!
what notable success did Marcelo Bielsa have before 50? I’m sure 99% of fans would take him though, who would you suggest is the best candidate for the position?
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3160 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
According to talksport we've spoken to Bowyer today - would have expected Matt Wilson or John Percy to be first on the ball with that so have some doubts re this.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3161 on: June 05, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
Bowyer is a thug, we might as well have Barton or Pearson. I would defo prefer Pearson to either of those.
I would love Bilic, eccentric, passionate, can set up a good team, European contacts etc etc, but we all know it won't happen don't we guys.
We will faff about and next thing he will be managing Boro.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3162 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
Bowyer is a thug, we might as well have Barton or Pearson. I would defo prefer Pearson to either of those.
I would love Bilic, eccentric, passionate, can set up a good team, European contacts etc etc, but we all know it won't happen don't we guys.
We will faff about and next thing he will be managing Boro.
I'm not sure on this but has Bowyer ever been in trouble off the pitch, or while a manager ?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3163 on: June 05, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »
Bowyer has been in management for just over 12 months. Not sure he'd be the right man for the rebuild we face.

He's Fergie compared to Moore then and the board had no hesitation appointing him.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3164 on: June 05, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »

My personal opinion but I would rather Shan have the job than Bowyer.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3165 on: June 05, 2019, 06:52:23 PM »
This is unprecedented. I've never known a football club sound out so many different managers, lets not forget this process has been going on since we looked at Jokanovic and Wagner after Moore went. I'd almost applaud them for doing so much due dilligence, but then I realise these are people who are proven failures at their job and there's no common theme whatsoever between the managers they are talking to.

Smacks of Jenkins - "who is the best guy we can get in, the safest option, for the absolute minimum financial outlay?" No matter how many they speak to, the answer to this question is going to be 'stick with Shan/Appleton'.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3166 on: June 05, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
I'm not sure on this but has Bowyer ever been in trouble off the pitch, or while a manager ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

Quite a trail of worrying on and off the pitch disciplinary incidents involving him through his playing career.
However, I am sorry if I am being unduly harsh on him as everyone deserves a chance to change for the better. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3167 on: June 05, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »

He's Fergie compared to Moore then and the board had no hesitation appointing him.

And yet a modern-day Yanited would have sacked Fergie before his first season was over. Just saying.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3168 on: June 05, 2019, 07:03:08 PM »
Going to be a while yet
Appleton, Bruno, Bilic, Bowyer
We still have C  D E F G H I etc to get through yet
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3169 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »
And yet a modern-day Yanited would have sacked Fergie before his first season was over. Just saying.

Hindsights a curse but DM didn't show any promise but i'll leave it there. He is in the past and tbf i shouldn't have brought him up.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3170 on: June 05, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »
Hindsights a curse but DM didn't show any promise but i'll leave it there. He is in the past and tbf i shouldn't have brought him up.

Fair enough mate.... touchy area for us all DM, he's always going to be a legend here....

but for me after the absolute farce the board made of Darren they really need to pull out a plum now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3171 on: June 05, 2019, 07:46:02 PM »
Agreed my friend. They have really took the biscuit the last 16 months or so.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3172 on: June 05, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
Going to be a while yet
Appleton, Bruno, Bilic, Bowyer
We still have C  D E F G H I etc to get through yet
Class! Made me laugh that as brill!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3173 on: June 05, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

Quite a trail of worrying on and off the pitch disciplinary incidents involving him through his playing career.
However, I am sorry if I am being unduly harsh on him as everyone deserves a chance to change for the better.
Cheers, yes a little bit worrying....nose clean as a manager so far but his past conduct doesn't make for a great read.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3174 on: June 05, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
Cheers, yes a little bit worrying....nose clean as a manager so far but his past conduct doesn't make for a great read.
Exactly.
How would he control discipline?
Do as I say not as I do?