Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 267218 times)

royhan

• WBA Coach

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #950 on: December 12, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
Round six: Joshua well in front on points but Pulev is throwing some big overhead punches which are well dealt with defensively by Joshua. Pulev still not out of it.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #951 on: December 12, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Round seven: 39 year old Pulev covers up after a heavy Joshua exchange. Joshua looking the sharper and cleaner puncher. Right hand from Pulev gets through as he regains his confidence.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #952 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26:28 PM »
Round eight: Pulev still on the front foot and uses his arms to cover up Joshua’s punches. Joshua still well in front on points. There is a mark over Joshua’s eye - not serious

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #953 on: December 12, 2020, 11:29:46 PM »
Round nine: A sharper intensity to Joshua’s work. He is in control. Pulev takes two solid uppercuts. Pulev down again after brilliant uppercut. Pulev in desperate trouble and is counted out.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #954 on: December 12, 2020, 11:33:41 PM »
AJ Won
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #955 on: December 12, 2020, 11:39:28 PM »
Thanks Royhan for the analysis

When can they square up against Fury so Fury can beat him?!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #956 on: December 13, 2020, 12:19:07 AM »
Joshua's such a strange fighter. Generally wins his fights quite comfortably, but never convincingly.

Joshua vs Klitschko is still one of the best sporting events i've seen, mainly due to the brilliant Whyte v Chisora fight that warmed up the crowd in the packed pub I watched it in and the drama of the back and forth, yet since then i've been really underwhelmed.

Takam and Parker were comfortable and yet not particularly statement wins, while Povetkin may have been ahead for many when Joshua put him away. 2 Ruiz fights later and now tonight, Joshua seems to have stopped truely dominating his opponents.

Maybe I just expect too much - Wilder rarely if ever looked great in his wins - but it feels like Joshua's momentum has really slowed now.

Part of me wonders if he may well finish 4th of 4 if there were to be a round robin of Fury, Wilder and Uysk.
Boing Boing

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #957 on: December 13, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »
Joshua's such a strange fighter. Generally wins his fights quite comfortably, but never convincingly.

Joshua vs Klitschko is still one of the best sporting events i've seen, mainly due to the brilliant Whyte v Chisora fight that warmed up the crowd in the packed pub I watched it in and the drama of the back and forth, yet since then i've been really underwhelmed.

Takam and Parker were comfortable and yet not particularly statement wins, while Povetkin may have been ahead for many when Joshua put him away. 2 Ruiz fights later and now tonight, Joshua seems to have stopped truely dominating his opponents.

Maybe I just expect too much - Wilder rarely if ever looked great in his wins - but it feels like Joshua's momentum has really slowed now.

Part of me wonders if he may well finish 4th of 4 if there were to be a round robin of Fury, Wilder and Uysk.

Wilder shouldn't even be mentioned in the top 4 boxers, he's not a boxers just a guy who can punch whos only fought bums until he came against fury.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #958 on: December 13, 2020, 12:44:58 AM »
Wilder shouldn't even be mentioned in the top 4 boxers, he's not a boxers just a guy who can punch whos only fought bums until he came against fury.

He is just a bloke who can punch yeah, but he has the biggest punch in boxing, possibly the biggest punch in boxing history (might be doing a disservice to Foreman there).

Knocked Ortiz out twice, put Fury down twice, it doesn't matter if he is usually behind on the cards - he has nearly always found the punch he needs.

If I had to put my house on a winner between Wilder and Joshua, I think i'd still have to pick Wilder (Joshua would win every round up to it).

I could be wrong of course - Joshua is still probably the 2nd best boxing heavyweight in the world after Fury.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:02:18 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #959 on: December 13, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

I think that point is debatable and may be because Joshua is nearly always in with someone who is highly ranked so not one way traffic. Aside from the noteable exceptions of Klitchko and Wilder, Fury has had some pretty average opponents.
I think the Fury v Joshua fight is very difficult to predict. Wilder had bigger one punch power than Joshua but nowhere near the range of attacking weapons that Joshua has in his armoury, which will give Fury a lot more to think about.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #960 on: December 13, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »
If AJ v Fury fight happens,as I've said previously I think Fury will win
He could even knock AJ spark out.
But it would be a great match up
And it must be held in England.
Free to air would be nice

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: December 13, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
If AJ v Fury fight happens,as I've said previously I think Fury will win
He could even knock AJ spark out.
But it would be a great match up
And it must be held in England.
Free to air would be nice

England I agree, not the middle east. Free to air though, no chance.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #962 on: December 13, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »
England I agree, not the middle east. Free to air though, no chance.

They'll take the fight to whoever wants to put up the biggest purse. I would think that will be the middle east, should be in England in front of a partisan audience bur finances will dictate.
I'd go for Fury late on.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #963 on: February 05, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »
'Boxing and the Mob' was an interesting BBC watch on Monday night.....several of the biggest name British boxing figures are featured in the program that will no doubt be on iPlayer.

Seems there have been some repercussions from it....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: February 06, 2021, 01:31:21 PM »
'Boxing and the Mob' was an interesting BBC watch on Monday night.....several of the biggest name British boxing figures are featured in the program that will no doubt be on iPlayer.

Seems there have been some repercussions from it....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55956375

Quelle surprise.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: April 10, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »
Just watched Conner Benn destroy Samuel Vargas in 1 minute 20 seconds! He is some fighter and boy can he punch!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #966 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:32 AM »
Just watched Conner Benn destroy Samuel Vargas in 1 minute 20 seconds! He is some fighter and boy can he punch!

He was an arrogant **** afterwards! My word, I don’t think his head could fit on my screen!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #967 on: April 11, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
He was an arrogant **** afterwards! My word, I don’t think his head could fit on my screen!
Agree and there was no need for it. He should just let is talent do the talking! Hopefully he will learn.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #968 on: April 11, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »
Cannot believe there are people moaning on Facebook about the stoppage. The Referee is there to protect the fighters, simple as that.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2021, 09:04:15 PM »
Eddie Hearn has signed a deal with Dazn, which will see all of his fights (minus Joshua and Whyte) move off Sky.

With Warren on BT, it might spell the end of regular British boxing on Sky Sports.

Good for Hearn short term (and that might be all he needs), but with boxing now gone from terrestrial and TV and Sky, that could have a big effect on interest over the next few years. Too many platforms now, surely unrealistic for sports to expect fans to have Sky, BT, Prime, Dazn, Premier Sports and Disney +.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:59:03 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:23 PM »
Aside from the premier league do sky actually show any other sport?!

Even their cricket has been watered down with them losing the away series’

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #971 on: April 22, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
It's getting weaker and weaker. Domestically, they have Super League, netball and the Autumn Rugby internationals. They also have international football plus a few of the franchise cricket leagues.

Apart from that though they have a big focus in US sports it seems.

They do have the Golf majors I suppose.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #972 on: April 22, 2021, 09:59:37 PM »
Golf and F1 are the biggies aside from their share of the football.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #973 on: April 22, 2021, 11:49:05 PM »
As long as it has football and F1 as part of my sports sub then I’m happy.

I tend to stream the boxing but if it’s a biggie I’ll Box Office it

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #974 on: April 23, 2021, 07:31:30 AM »
Forgot the F1.

I suppose they do also have full horse racing coverage too.
Boing Boing