Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163301 times)

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester)
« Reply #500 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »

Brunt was actually the top scorer in the Championship for us in Dorrans season. And he wasn't on penalties, Dorrans was a flat track bully who hid in the big games. Barnes isn't our best player this season never mind ever in the division.

Bingo.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #501 on: January 12, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »
Barnes as been our best player this season. Not best player for us  in this division ever. Neither was koumas but Dorrans was better than both. Didn't go missing and wasn't a bully in fact if he had shown a bit more aggression he would have been outstanding.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #502 on: January 12, 2019, 12:24:39 AM »
Cheers Harvey & all the best for the future.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #503 on: January 12, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
Barnes or especially Dorrans wouldn’t  get any where near Koumas in my opinion. Class above Koumas was.

Think Barnes may well get there one day but for me Dorrans no where near the other 2

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #504 on: January 12, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »
The main thing that annoys me is the timing of all this. He's not going to play for Leicester this weekend so couldn't it have waited until after the Norwich game? Don't understand it at all.

The article on the official LCFC website, suggests he will be in the squad for this weekend, but I agree, the timing was disrespectful.

I watched the Leicester game against Newport & they are definitely missing Mahrez, I suspect Puel will try Barnes in that role.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
Oh well.

He was here and now he's gone, time for others to step up.

Into Norwich today Albion.

COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Can we keep this to Harvey Barnes please, if you wish to discuss or compare with previous midfielders then there is the option of starting a new topic
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
By Koumas at his best I didn't just mean the odd performance, but during his peak years. You think that Koumas didn't feature strongly game in game out for half a season? Perhaps you're joking. Koumas was the Championship player of the 2006-2007 season, and was in the Championship team of the season on at least one other occasion.

You mention pace in the modern game. Read my post. I say that Barnes is athletic and has pace but his decision making is lacking, which in my opinion it is. Koumas was more the opposite, a highly intelligent footballer who lacked natural athleticism.

As to Barnes' decision making, I am talking about this attribute as it is applied throughout a match on every aspect of a players performance. I've seen enough of Barnes to see that he needs to improve massively in this area. In fact it's probably at least partly why he was loaned out in the first place. This improvement might come with time and experience but these things aren't guaranteed.

Barnes is not only not the best Championship player Albion have had, he's not even the best player we have this season. I'm not saying he's not going to be missed, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as what people seem to believe.
It's difficult to judge these things but quite simply if you took his contributions out they would be missed more than contributions by any other player this season. He's turned games and won games. Moore summed it up when he said his control at pace and in tight situations is exceptional. Anyone who does things at pace isn't going to get everything right but it's difficult to argue against his record. He is comfortably our top player this year in my book with Phillips 2nd and Gayle 3rd.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2019, 11:37:30 AM »
He leaves a huge hole in the team. We might be able to patch up the gap temporarily by moving the team around to fit Hoolahan or Sako, but Barnes was more dangerous than both of them and if we want to get promotion this year, Dowling and Moore must pull something out of the bag.
Boing Boing

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »
I was talking to a mate this morning (the one who knows the leicester journalist and who said exactly how things were going to happen) and apparently Barnes nor his agent were in a great rush to go back to Leicester.

Barnes by all accounts genuinely loved it at the Albion, but with leicesters season now pretty much over (safe in the league and out the cups) Puel wants a look at him as he knows he could get fans onside being a local lad, it was always their plan to get him back in january and see how he is progressing.

Barnes is desperate to make it at Leicester as he is also a big fan  and isnt looking to move permanent but if he goes back and doesnt play regular and Puel is still in charge next season then apparently he will possibly look to leave for good.

From Leicesters side they play today and next week and he may play some part and then have a ten day break (where they are looking to go away) where they will have a good look at Barnes as Puel wasnt convinced by him in preseason, if that hasnt changed by the end of the window, they may look to loan him back to us but there has to be a few things happen before that scenario!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:29:02 PM by Albion79 »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2019, 12:44:29 PM »
I was talking to a mate this morning (the one who knows the leicester journalist and who said exactly how things were going to happen) and apparently Barnes nor his agent were in a great rush to go back to Leicester.

Barnes by all accounts genuinely loved it at the Albion, but with leicesters season now pretty much over (safe in the league and out the cups) Puel wants a look at him as he knows he could get fans onside being a local lad, it was always their plan to get him back in january and see how he is progressing.

Barnes is desperate to make it at Leicester as he is also a big fan  and isnt looking to move permanent but if he goes back and doesnt play regular and Puel is still in charge next season then apparently he will possibly look to leave for good.

From Leicesters side they play today and next week and he may play some part and then have a ten day break (where they are looking to go away) where they will have a good look at Barnes as Puel wasnt convinced by him in preseason, if that hasnt changed by the end of the window, they may look to loan him back to us but there has to be a few things happen before that scenario!

Thanks for this feel sorry for the kid being pulled back for a bit of PR for an unpopular Head Coach who has no real intent to play him.

He leaves a huge hole in the team. We might be able to patch up the gap temporarily by moving the team around to fit Hoolahan or Sako, but Barnes was more dangerous than both of them and if we want to get promotion this year, Dowling and Moore must pull something out of the bag.

Having given it some thought the gap Barnes has left is less problematic than the opposite flank where our choices are HRK Sako or Brunt. If we are to persist with the 4-3-3 we have 4 right footed players who might fill in the left wide attacker spot.

1. Gayle if we are not playing him as a Centre Forward the left side wide striker role is a more natural fit than the right sided one.

2. Philips my feeling on him is that he has the combination of skill and physical strength to be ideal in this role I still think it his best position. Although moving him here leaves a gap in midfield (Harper anyone?)

3. Leko a youngster that has all the skill okay needs to work on his decision making but will not progress without game time

4. Edwards another player with potential could easily adapt to playing in this role.

I know that two of the options are relatively untried but at some point we have to trust the kids.

If we can bring in a player I would much rather bring a in a left footer for the wide right role.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:31 PM »
If you take out the goals scored/Assists and pens won by both Barnes/Gayle it accounts for over half our 54 goals. Be proper lower half table if we didn't have those two first half of the season. Relying on HRK to score now is abysmal, Along with relying on 30+ ageing players to fill the gap.

Hope the lad does great at Leicester.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »
If you take out the goals scored/Assists and pens won by both Barnes/Gayle it accounts for over half our 54 goals. Be proper lower half table if we didn't have those two first half of the season. Relying on HRK to score now is abysmal, Along with relying on 30+ ageing players to fill the gap.

Hope the lad does great at Leicester.

Thing is though is we’re not lower mid table, and we did have them on loan so we’re where we are. It’s like people say about Kane, that if you take his penalties and tap ins out then he’s an average striker. Thing is he has scored the penalties and the tap ins and he is where he is too.

You could say that about permanent signings too that get bought by other clubs at the end of the season. If we had Barnes on a permanent and lit the division on fire this season, who’s to say someone in the prem doesn’t come along in the summer and take him off is anyway.

We obviously had the motive to get promoted this year and we’ve filled the team with players to achieve that. If we go up we’d have to strengthen again regardless so don’t really see the issue with using loan players.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
This is a major loss to the squad as he would be pretty much in everyone's starting eleven.
We must find a player who is able to make runs from deep positions with the ball and set up goal chances. We have one already established in the first team, Matt Phillips, but that's not enough for an attacking team.
However, we do have another player who can maybe step up into Barnes' role, and that is Hakeem Harper. He is also able to run with the ball, and has a turn of pace which can put defenders on the back foot.  I hope that now Harper gets a proper chance to step up to the plate.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
This is what happens when loan players in. Been a great player will be a big miss. Looked like was loving being here and playing but life goes on. Some players need to step up now he's gone.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »
On the bench for Leicester.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
On the bench for Leicester today against Southampton. Personally I believe starting against Norwich today would have been better for his long term development, but maybe that's why I'm not a Premier League manager? To me, the whole thing smacks of short termism from Leicester.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
It would not surprise me if they demanded a loan fee and we said no.

We should never have been in such a position after all those prem years and to now be relying on someone else's player.

I hope he comes back at the end of the window but it's like an injury you have to have contingencies.

Let's see if we have, as it is poor planning if we haven't because they did the same last season when he was at Barnsley.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
Losing 2 nil at home at half time  to 10 man Southampton....think Harvey will be on before long..

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
On the bench for Leicester today against Southampton. Personally I believe starting against Norwich today would have been better for his long term development, but maybe that's why I'm not a Premier League manager? To me, the whole thing smacks of short termism from Leicester.
To me it smacks of a manager desperately trying to keep his job and appease the fans after last weeks effort at Newport !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #520 on: January 12, 2019, 04:03:25 PM »
Possibly a coincidence of Holgate starting, but we look far more balanced without him  :-X
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #521 on: January 12, 2019, 04:14:28 PM »
Harvey on at half time for Leicester. Good luck son
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:07 AM »
In a way it’s good he came on for Leicester as if Puel doesn’t like what he is seeing the only club he can then loan him out to again is us.

I have my doubts this would happen however

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »
Harvey on at half time for Leicester. Good luck son
Took up some very good positions on the left....and never got the pass, ended up wandering in to the middle and looked frustrated by the end
Puel really is a bad manager
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: January 15, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »
Think we would have beaten Norwich with him in the side. HRK is just not in the same league.
Need to replace him, the front 3 look devoid of creativity without him  :(