Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662417 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #775 on: September 22, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
Hegazi was a virtual ever present last season and we still conceded for fun. A decent keeper is the only way things will improve IMO.

We didn't have a manager last season.

Hegazi will make a massive difference. Anyone but Bartley in there will make all the difference, SJ isn't the issue

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #776 on: September 22, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
Unless the ball is right at him SJ rarely looks like making a save.  Like the two shots today, he got nowhere near them and neither were thunderous strikes.  The second one was particularly poor as theres only one place that ball can go.

It's the story as recent matches, I don't put either of those today down to keeper error, but good keepers would have given themselves a chance to make the save.  The fact he doesn't even dive sets off alarm bells to me.  At the moment you'd say his only positive is his distribution isn't terrible.

Throw in the ones where he HAS made obvious errors and you've got a keeper who doesn't inspire any confidence. 

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: September 22, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »
I just wish as a keeper he was more vocal and came across more in command of his defence, I think this would give the back four more confidence.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #778 on: September 22, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
Not knocking the bloke but he never made an effort for either of the goals today.
Got nothing against him but we should be looking to strengthen in that position if we have aspirations of playing at a higher level
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #779 on: September 22, 2019, 09:05:53 PM »
Terrible first half
Second half I almost screamed my tonsils out but I think he heard me (just bloody clear it) 😀

Second half I think he was actually ok and did claim a few ,I’d still swap him out for a run of games though .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: September 22, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
Was at the game today but when I saw comments on here blaming him for the goals I was shocked. So I watched goals on sky and am still shocked. How was he meant to save either of the goals?

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #781 on: September 22, 2019, 10:47:34 PM »
Was at the game today but when I saw comments on here blaming him for the goals I was shocked. So I watched goals on sky and am still shocked. How was he meant to save either of the goals?

Some people need a scapegoat mate.

Absolutely ridiculous comments from some both on here and in the stadium.

Goal 1; Blame Furlong for missing the 50/50. Blame Sawyers for not sticking with his man. Maybe even blame Austin for giving away the goal kick which it came from. But god how can anyone blame Sam?

Goal 2; only one person to blame and that’s Bartley. Or you could maybe blame Boiler Man.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #782 on: September 22, 2019, 10:51:37 PM »
Maybe he could maybe he couldn’t save those two goals today, but yet again he is flat footed and no despairing dive, it’s like he gives up as he know he can’t get it, whereas if he does a despairing dive, he might get lucky.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #783 on: September 22, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »

Goal 1; Blame Furlong for missing the 50/50. Blame Sawyers for not sticking with his man. Maybe even blame Austin for giving away the goal kick which it came from. But god how can anyone blame Sam?

Goal 2; only one person to blame and that’s Bartley. Or you could maybe blame Boiler Man.

Agreed 100 percent

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #784 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:53 AM »
Maybe he could maybe he couldn’t save those two goals today, but yet again he is flat footed and no despairing dive, it’s like he gives up as he know he can’t get it, whereas if he does a despairing dive, he might get lucky.

This is the bit that sticks with me the most, and also I think rubs people up the wrong way which downgrades their opinion of him.

Two reasons he should dive at everything. 1. Good practice for a goal keeper to do it for future scenarios even if they know they arent getting to it. 2. Like you say, he might get lucky and surprise himself with a save.

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #785 on: September 23, 2019, 02:02:57 AM »

The first one was all happening so quick I dont think he had time to react.

The second one a better keeper would have read the situation quicker and hurled himself forward trying to block or smother

I dont blame him for either but he seems pretty ordinary - if I was manager I'd be tempted to give Bond or Habsi a run just to see what my options are

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #786 on: September 23, 2019, 03:16:48 AM »
The first one was all happening so quick I dont think he had time to react.

The second one a better keeper would have read the situation quicker and hurled himself forward trying to block or smother

I dont blame him for either but he seems pretty ordinary - if I was manager I'd be tempted to give Bond or Habsi a run just to see what my options are

Looks so suspect on crosses. Every so often has a blinder like v Derby and Fulham but then most of the time he is poor. Gives our defence butterflies. Think even bringing Hegazi in we will still look suspect at the back because of the keeper. Not sure why we don't give one of the other ones a go
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #787 on: September 23, 2019, 06:29:01 AM »

Not looking to blame anybody, but he never even attempted to make a save.
A lot of saves made by goalkeepers are instinctive or reactionary, I would argue that lot of the time he is poor in both departments.
Yes he has the occasional blinder, but all that does is  paper over the cracks.
I don't think anybody is looking for a scapegoat, we all want the team to do well, but there are a couple of positions in the team that need looking at at the moment and we have to trust in the manager to correct the issues.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #788 on: September 23, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »
Any one else noticed that he is weaker going for balls to his left?
I am sure that other teams have noticed this, and tell their players to cross or shoot the ball in that general area.
Is he just a right handed goalkeeper?
He has to be coached to work on his left hand side.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #789 on: September 23, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
We didn't have a manager last season.

Hegazi will make a massive difference. Anyone but Bartley in there will make all the difference, SJ isn't the issue
This time last year we had 17 points and were top scorers in the division. We finished 4th which is exactly where we are now. Please stop the Moore bashing and move on.
In my opinion Bilic is a better manager but that's no reason to disrespect his predecessor.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #790 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »

100% this.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #791 on: September 23, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
This time last year we had 17 points and were top scorers in the division. We finished 4th which is exactly where we are now. Please stop the Moore bashing and move on.
In my opinion Bilic is a better manager but that's no reason to disrespect his predecessor.

Not quite sure what us being top scorers (with a front three of Barnes, Gayle and Rodriguez so ultimately we should have been) has to do with my post? I was responding to us conceding for fun last season as we are this season. We have no Dawson and Hegazi in place this season as we had last season so my point is that we have to look at what is in front of SJ and at the minute we are playing with a young lad who is not a left back playing (very well as it happens) out of position, a new right back who is very attack minded....and Kyle Bartley who is....Kyle Bartley, so in my opinion blaming SJ for everything as people seem to be doing is out of order.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #792 on: September 23, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »

If he gets into a habit of not even making a despairing dive it might end up with him not even bothering to make a dive with penalties

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #793 on: September 23, 2019, 10:54:50 AM »
This is the bit that sticks with me the most, and also I think rubs people up the wrong way which downgrades their opinion of him.

Two reasons he should dive at everything. 1. Good practice for a goal keeper to do it for future scenarios even if they know they arent getting to it. 2. Like you say, he might get lucky and surprise himself with a save.

I always had it coached from a young age for exactly those reasons.  You get in to a habit of diving as there's times when you think you can't quite reach it and you do, or that your instant reaction is to dive for it so you start to trim your reaction time down.

Even in yesterday's game, Livermore had a well struck shot from the middle of the goal, it could have gone anywhere, their keeper was in the middle of the goal so wouldn't know which side.  The shot ended up just wide of the keeper's right hand post, he still dived and may have got across to it.  It was struck much better than the efforts we condeded.  When we talk about SJ these aren't shots that are rocketing into the top corner.  So while I don't directly pin blame on him for either of the goals it's chances like those where you want your keeper to step up and make the big saves.  Does Sam?  Very very rarely.

It really is a massive flaw if your keeper is constantly wrong footed and isn't diving.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: September 23, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
If he gets into a habit of not even making a despairing dive it might end up with him not even bothering to make a dive with penalties
Meanwhile in the real world SJ can dive (despairing or otherwise).
Remind me, what was the score against Derby, and how did SJ do with a 12 yard shot?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #795 on: September 23, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »

Boiler man is innocent and should be given a try-out between the sticks!
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #796 on: September 23, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »
It's not that he *never* dives, it's just that he quite often doesn't, of he does it's pretty poor. 

Look at Blackburn, it's not a well struck shot and he's beaten to his near post side.  He just didn't get any horizontal movement.
Fulham, his 'dive' again was very similar, he gets no horizontal movement and basically just falls over.
Two against Huddersfield, neither did he dive for. 
Reading, he didn't dive for that either.

Then throw in things like Millwall where he's rooted to his far(!) post and doesn't claim a ball that's 3 yards out.  We concede.
Throw in his mistakes from his distrubution or where he's failed to gather the ball...

How is SJ doing?  Honestly?  Not great.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #797 on: September 23, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
Boiler man is innocent and should be given a try-out between the sticks!

Probably more mobile.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: September 23, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
Meanwhile in the real world SJ can dive (despairing or otherwise).
Remind me, what was the score against Derby, and how did SJ do with a 12 yard shot?

That was his only good game this season.

I've watched both of yesterday's goals back a few times. He didn't bother trying to save the first one which whilst perfectly placed was from outside the box! Then the second surely he should have rushed out at the attackers feet to close down the angle. Again he didn't bother to dive and just stood still. Completely bizarre. Thankfully Huddersfield only had two shots on target!

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #799 on: September 23, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »

When you look at most penalties, all keepers would save more by not diving

A high percentage seem to go straight doen the middle
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !