Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2534401 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #775 on: August 28, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
does anybody else think he should be starting upfront he looks our most natural goalscorer
No. Might in time but not good enough at the minute.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #776 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
does anybody else think he should be starting upfront he looks our most natural goalscorer

In time he could be a very good striker. At the moment I think he's doing a great job out wide, really putting a shift in looking dangerous going forward and really helping out the full-back when needed.

He may be one of those strikers that suffer from not having a strike partner to feed off, if we insist on playing a lone striker I don't think he's suited to it but with that said I'm not sure we have one that is.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: August 28, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
I think Berahino needs a big guy playing just behind him to act as a distraction for the opposition and to knock some balls onto him. From the little I have seen, he plays off the shoulder of a defender well and I reckon that would benefit him.

Samaras or Ideye would be ideal...even Anichebe if I'm up for a debate.  ::)
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #778 on: August 28, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
I miss Odemwingie being a part of our team, appalled as I was by his attitude at the end.

Fantastic player. I'd forget every bloomin word he's said if he was back with us!

He has never again reached the same level he was in his first 12 months with us, looks very ordinary these days.
Baggie in Southampton

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #779 on: August 28, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Yeah I think Saido will have to develop into a SKP type of striker. Saido doesn't really have the pace to simply outrun defenders nor the speed and agility to turn them inside out. I still like him a lot and think in the right set up he could be a gem.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: August 28, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
I've been very impressed with his work rate so far this season. I think if he keeps up this attitude he will go on to develop into a good player at this level.
the regime don't like it man

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #781 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
Scored twice again for England under 21's, match ongoing and unlucky to not have at least a hat trick. Up to 9 goals in 11 games for the under 21's which makes him the equal second highest scorer of all time. Only Shearer, Bent, Lampard, Milner, and Jeffers have equal or more goals. Not a bad list to be apart of Jeffers aside.

He's criminally underrated by a lot of our fans, a fantastic striking talent waiting to happen if he keeps his head and is bought on well by the club.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #782 on: September 09, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
Yes hopefully we will play a similar setup to the Sunderland game on Saturday with Saido more advanced then he has been in the two away games.
Whatever you think of him the fact is he was our top scorer last year and is, at this early stage, our top scorer this season.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #783 on: September 09, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
But will the coaching staff play him in his natural position instead of stuck out wide?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #784 on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
But will the coaching staff play him in his natural position instead of stuck out wide?

It's funny you say that. My dad keeps banging on that Berahino isn't a number 10 and that he'd be better out wide. To be honest I haven't really seen much of Saido recently so I am reserving judgement at the moment.

He/him

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #785 on: September 10, 2014, 12:11:12 AM »
He's a striker not a winger. Really does do my head in when he's stuck out there, not half as much as a threat as he could be.
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #786 on: September 10, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
Berahino is a number 9 not a number 10 or a winger. He's the type who would be best playing off another striker. For us to do that we'd have to play two up which means either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #787 on: September 10, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »
Firstly lets not get carried away by how well he does in the Under 21's. It shows he has good potential but we already know that but it just isn't up there quality wise with the Premier League, would be great to see him kick on for us while playing up front but with the system we have played so far he isn't suited to the lone striker role.

Maybe when everyone is fit the system may change to two up front but at the moment he is actually performing well for us out wide, full credit to him as his attitude has been in question in the past.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #788 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
Firstly lets not get carried away by how well he does in the Under 21's. It shows he has good potential but we already know that but it just isn't up there quality wise with the Premier League, would be great to see him kick on for us while playing up front but with the system we have played so far he isn't suited to the lone striker role.

Maybe when everyone is fit the system may change to two up front but at the moment he is actually performing well for us out wide, full credit to him as his attitude has been in question in the past.

Spot on, Dawson was solid for the 21's and scored a fair share, yet he's completely useless at premier league level in my opinion
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #789 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »
Just found this article on the FA website. It seems as though he's got his head together a little bit more now.

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/under-21/2014/sep/player-reaction-moldova-100914

Saido Berahino has refused to settle for personal accolades as he looks to fire England Under-21s to next summer’s Euro finals in Czech Republic.

The West Bromwich Albion forward bagged a brace against Moldova on Tuesday to take his tally in the group stage to nine goals in eight appearances.

It is the sort of form that has drawn praise from boss Gareth Southgate, whose team await Friday’s draw for the play-off round after topping Group One with nine wins in 10 matches.

And Berahino’s record in front of goal has put him joint third in the all-time Under-21 scoring records, just four strikes behind former Three Lions captain Alan Shearer and Francis Jeffers.

“It’s nice to hear about my record this season and hopefully I can break the total one day, but I just thank god that I’ve contributed to the team,” he told TheFA.com after the 3-0 victory in Tiraspol.

“You could see tonight that, even though there were a few changes [to the team], everyone stepped in and did their job.

“It just shows how strong we are as a group, we all gelled together and we all play together and understand each other well.

“The group is getting stronger and stronger as games are going by, so it was important that we got the victory and now we can kick on and go into the play-offs with confidence.”

After leading the line during Friday’s win over Lithuania, Berahino was switched into more of a supporting role in Moldova.

But after linking well with fellow forwards Harry Kane and Nathan Redmond, the 21-year-old admits he is more than comfortable in any of the positions.

“I’ve played on the left before for my club and I’ve played on the right, so I’m lucky enough that I can play on either side of the striker and up front if I’m required,” he added.

“I could have got four goals, but I’m happy to have got two and to contribute to the victory”

“Tonight, it was about going out there and doing what’s required for the team and I was happy to get on the scoresheet.

“I was actually disappointed with myself because I thought I had good chances, especially in the second half, to get my hat-trick.

“I could have got four really, but I’m still happy to have got the two goals and to contribute to the victory.

“I just need to make sure that I go back and work hard on the training pitch to ensure that I take every chance that comes my way.”

England already knew that they had secured top spot in the group a play-off berth earlier this summer, following their win over Wales in Swansea.

But Berahino says the attitude instilled by Southgate and his staff, along with the stiff competition for places, means there was never any danger of the players losing their focus.

“The staff, especially the gaffer, have ensured that we’ve been professional about it, even though we’d already qualified with two games left,” he explained.

“We made sure that we finished strongly, that’s what we’ve tried to do and it’s good that we have the momentum to take into the play-offs.”

He/him

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #790 on: September 10, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Good too see him scoring more goals. Hopefully he brings that back with him.

The lad should be applauded and supported massively by us, he is one of our own and from the area with a real bright future ahead of him.

Lets get behind the lad and push him on, not negatively get at him let the press do that

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #791 on: September 10, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
we massively underrate saido

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2014, 01:04:47 PM »

Not really. I said a few weeks ago if we made him available we'd get £20 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: September 10, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
I'm on the fence with him I guess.

I see the obvious potential in the lad, he has a natural eye for goal and some of his finishes have been exquisite. Clearly has no lack of self confidence which is both a pro and a con, if he is focussed with it then it is a huge advantage, but it is just as likely to cause him to tail off like last season following his signing of the contract (coincidence or not).

My qualm is whether he is ready to be a week in week out starter for us yet. I think if you play him it has to be as a striker, he isn't a winger for me, too dangerous in front of goal to play him anywhere else if you are going to play him.

I've thus far seen nothing of Brown and whilst Vic doesn't score many, his attributes in holding the ball up and bringing others into the game are clear.

It all depends on how many we play up top. If we have two up front it should be easy enough to accomodate all three for those roles with Samaras more of a winger drifting in from the left but I have always felt we look better with one up top and two attacking wingers supporting the striker with three central players.

Not sure Berahino is enough of a presence as yet to play the lone striker role.

Conundrum for AI.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: September 10, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »

His scoring record for us needs to improve. Until that does we are rating him correctly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:24:26 PM by BB74 »

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #795 on: September 10, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
 For me he has to play up to as part of a duo. Either Ideye or Anichebe has to partner him.

It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: September 10, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
I think some of our fans are in never never land with him, he has yet to beat a man for as long as I can remember and has rarely affected games over the last 12 months bar the odd game here and there, he's at the age now where he should be progressing and showing positive signs in this league on a more consistent basis now, Find it hard to believe he will have a starting place when valera is fit.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #797 on: September 10, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
I reckon he will be at a Championship club in a couple of seasons.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #798 on: September 10, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
I think some of our fans are in never never land with him, he has yet to beat a man for as long as I can remember and has rarely affected games over the last 12 months bar the odd game here and there, he's at the age now where he should be progressing and showing positive signs in this league on a more consistent basis now, Find it hard to believe he will have a starting place when valera is fit.

Who has had a consistently positive affect on our games the last 12 months? We have been very poor as a team for last 9 months and others would argue longer. As for him showing positive signs in the league, in my opinion he has done that this season as he's been one of our most consistent players arguably playing out of position.

When all the new players are fit and available you are assuming we will stick to using a lone striker.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #799 on: September 10, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
I reckon he will be at a Championship club in a couple of seasons.

If you listen to most on here he will be in the Championship next season, with us.

Personally I see him as one of those young lads that has so much potential but he has to work very hard to fully realise it.