Author Topic: While we have been gone  (Read 33141 times)

eaststandbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: While we have been gone
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »
Great choice.At last we got a big name quality manager.
I was there when The King put the ball in the Everton net.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »
Nice to see.com back, yep support for Roy, think the club did the right thing.
Baggie in Southampton

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 08:36:03 AM »
Spot on decision for me.  RDM had lost his way and we had to act and to bring in the current LMA Manager of the year is a cracking appointment.

He'll bring with him plenty of experience, knows how to organise a team and judging by his time at Fulham knows how to get the very best out of average players.

He's got a job on his hands though to sort out our defence judging by last weeks collapse.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Hodgson wasn't my choice at all I wanted Jol or Hughton. I was perfectly happy when Hughton was 1/20 with the bookmakers, within no time we appointed Hodgson who like McLaren is a "never was" apart from one good season with Fulham. Can see this all going wrong.  ::)

A never was?! He's managed Inter TWICE?!

plus he's got to two Euro cup finals and managed at international level on three ocassions.... There are hardly any managers out there with better records?!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Dorrans17

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
Bit sad to see Di Matteo leave, but Hodgson has the experience to keep this club up!
Baggie

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
I was relatively happy when it looked liked we were getting Hughton so to get Hodgson is fantastic. His experience will hopefully be massive for the team.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »
As I've said elsewhere, i hope this isn't just a 'convenience marriage' where the real aim of the appointment was to get someone to mentor Appy and Hodgson was the only one who went for it as he can do 18 months and then chuck his hat in the ring for the England job and the 'Team GB' Olympic job.
That said he IS a top manager, and even 'King Kenny' is struggling to turn the mighty Liverpool around - their problems lie much deeper than the change of manager.
A few articles this week have said that as with players, form is temporary, class is permanent. Hodgson is a class manager - I just hope that he can channel the negativity from Liverpool into a desire to succeed with us.

Cunningham

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
Hodgson wasn't my choice at all I wanted Jol or Hughton. I was perfectly happy when Hughton was 1/20 with the bookmakers, within no time we appointed Hodgson who like McLaren is a "never was" apart from one good season with Fulham. Can see this all going wrong.  ::)

plus he's got to two Euro cup finals and managed at international level on three ocassions.... There are hardly any managers out there with better records?!

I meant a never was in domestic football. The continent is a completely different thing. Should've made that clearer, sorry my bad!

shortie_10

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
Hopefully Roy will be a good replacement and get our woefull defence sorted out which I think is priority.

Glad this is back up and running by the way wba unofficial forums were turning my brain into mush!

boinger1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
On a personal note I think the new site looks brill so well done to all involved  :D

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »

I meant a never was in domestic football. The continent is a completely different thing. Should've made that clearer, sorry my bad!

Fulham? Saving them from certain relegation, finishing in the European places the following season then taking them to the final of a European competition the year after that. Pretty impressive stuff.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

baggies_ash

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
I think Hodgson is a good appointment, respected by many within the game and will be well respected by the players and staff as well. If the players have a little belief in themselves which hopefully he can provide as he did with Fulham, we can all hope we will be okay come the end of the season!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »
I'm delighted with him joining us even if it is only for the 18 months his contract runs for. I thought he was beyond our reach financially and with the payoff he got from Liverpool he could afford to stay away from the game for a while but it shows his appetite for the game jumping straight back in with a massive challenge on his hands.

The last thing I thought when I saw us play at Anfield earlier in the season was that he would ever be our head coach let alone before the end of this season, massive job to do but he would have been my first choice of those available.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
When RDM were sacked,this name---Hodgson appear in my brain immediately,I'm very pleased with this appoint,his great results in Fulham can help us to survive.
The PRIDE of midlands

cewba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »
good to see the site back up and running,  heres hoping hodgson can finally sort our defence out and maintain our prem standing

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »
good appointment probably the best we could hope for,

oh and welcome back everyone  :D

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Hodgson as most definately grown on me.He will become a favourite if we beat the Dingles.I  can cope with a different style of football, tippy tappy is ok but i do like to see the ball in the opposition box as much as possible

Welcome back to the best Albion forum by far.Its layout is now of similar to the the Zone
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:02:44 AM by Jack Russell »
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
First of all its great to be back, ashame couldn't get on at such a vital part of the season but nevertheless great to be back now and hopefully on the return of the site we can start by discussing a massive win over wolves. We will have to see.....
Anyway on topic i like many was sad to see Roberto leave but i am relatively happy with Hodgsons arrival as we probably wouldn't have been able to get a bigger name with more experience. The experience he brings is very essential and i really hope that can get us ticking again, part of me thinks it may just be to late whilst the other part thinks he may just do it.
Another thing we will have to wait and see on, one things guaranteed, its going to be one roller coaster from now until the end of the season. 

wba_forever

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »
Good appointment, just hoping like all Albion fans he can get us sorted!Thank god .com is back.  ;D
Always Albion and forever hating the dingles

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
Thank god this place is back. I have had serious withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway, Roy Hodgson is a very good appointment on paper for me. He is certainly the most experienced of candidates and I'm very surprised we landed him. Whether he saves us from the drop or not shouldn't determine his future. I have a feeling that we could see a lot of changes in playing personel in the summer as good ol' Roy will now have the casting decision on who we sign. I just hope the board back him and he produces the same sort of results as he did at Fulham.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
Hodgson as most definately grown on me.He will become a favourite if we beat the Dingles.I  can cope with a different style of football, tippy tappy is ok but i do like to see the ball in the opposition box as much as possible

Welcome back to the best Albion forum by far.Its layout is now of similar to the the Zone

God forbid what some will call him if we lose :'(

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to say -glad to have this place back ;D

trochtova

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
Hodgson is a good replacement.  I still don`t think RDM should have gone.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »
Something that a I've heard a few people say about Hodgson was that while he was at Fulham they hardly ever won away. However, Fulham's away record has been awful even before they had him, and the away wins that he got with them earned them survival in one season, and then into 7th the next (although by then their home form was on fire). On the season they stayed up, they had two winless runs. One lasted 9 games, the other lasted 12.  They still stayed up? Let's hope he can help us too.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

Hughton, a manager with less experience than Di Matteo (albeit by a few games)? Hodgson is a far better candidate. Experience, and has got teams out of relegation battles before.