Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 282923 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #900 on: June 10, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
If we're going to keep hold of him, we need to give him some proper coaching. Try to teach him how to move on the pitch, and try to get him enthusiastic about playing for us.

I can't see it, but it would require some proper man management.
Last season he was being coached re the conversion into a central striker and being used in that role was a condition of his move to Celtic. Just a pity Rogers left.
Darren Fletcher analysing on Sky said he needs to keep it simple - use his pace and power and don't try anything too intricate which seems to make sense. He also made the comparison of the likes of Sala and Mane and the way they are always working, making runs even if they don't receive the ball for most of the runs they make in a game. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #901 on: June 25, 2019, 03:26:45 AM »
There were hints at today's presser of something untoward happening concerning Burke and Celtic, any one know what happened (allegedly) I know Lennon stopped playing him but the hints were of something else (allegedly)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:30:34 AM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #902 on: June 25, 2019, 09:35:40 AM »
Interesting comments from Dowling regarding Burke and Celtic.

From his quotes I would say something has happened between the clubs and the player, anyone know of anything?

Be interesting to see if Burke can knuckle down this pre season and force his way into Bilic's plans. Does seem like he's in the last chance saloon with us now, although I can see us keeping him til at least January as the rebuild is big enough and the money we receive for him wouldn't really help us too much.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #903 on: June 25, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »
Interesting comments from Dowling regarding Burke and Celtic.

From his quotes I would say something has happened between the clubs and the player, anyone know of anything?

Be interesting to see if Burke can knuckle down this pre season and force his way into Bilic's plans. Does seem like he's in the last chance saloon with us now, although I can see us keeping him til at least January as the rebuild is big enough and the money we receive for him wouldn't really help us too much.

There are some people criticising Dowling for his comments, Chris Lepkowski included, but I don't instead I find myself admiring his honesty.

I don't think Burke is a lost cause. If Bilic plays with a three man attack I can see Burke getting opportunities this coming season, the wide forward role might suit him. I'd rather have him as an option off the bench than Robson-Kanu. There were times last season when in the second half of games we sank deep and the opposition defenders pushed higher up. Someone with Burke's pace could've given us a terrific threat in behind but he was never used that way. Villa play off match was a perfect example. When Rodriguez went off we put Leko on who did practically nothing. Had we put Burke on and told him to sit on the shoulder of the defender and look for the opportunity in behind the Seals would've had to be on their toes at the back. One decent ball and he's not for catching.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #904 on: June 25, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #905 on: June 25, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »
The battle between two clubs didn't help Burke, it will only make him more stressed.
The PRIDE of midlands

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #906 on: June 25, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
Burke is 22 he needs to really take his career more seriously and take some much needed coaching on board.  He's had a few too many failures under many different coaches now for it not to be him..............

The club are maybe trying to protect him for what ended up being a failed loan at Celtic from his perspective. It'll blow over if Dowling upset Celtic I'm sure.

I still put a massive onus on the player needing to get his head into his career now. He hasn't look bothered or desperate to make an impact. Having said that, like any young player he needs an environment where someone gives him a sustained chance in a fixed position to learn his trade and develop.

We also need to treat him like a youth player e.g. Field, Edwards or Leko  this year who is still developing - forget that Pulis paid 15m for him (arggggh!)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #907 on: June 25, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
Personally don't agree with Dowling. There are no guarantees when a player goes out on loan. Everything was going fairly well until Rodgers sodded off. Lennon didn't owe Burke or WBA anything. Can't be helped. Dowling came across like a young boy that had been told off. Should know better.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #908 on: June 25, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Same as when we've taken players on loan and then not used them a la Gnabry, Montero and the left back from Everton whose name escapes me.

I know most of that predates Dowling but it does leave us wide open of accusations of hypocrisy

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #909 on: June 25, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »
Loans typically have set agreements in place regarding wages, play time and even position. To me it sounds like something was agreed with either Celtic or Rodgers and then the change of manager has gone against whatever was agreed (I was assume it was pitch time).

Is it frustrating? Yes. Should Dowling have called Celtic out publicly? Probably not.

He/him

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #910 on: June 25, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Burke is 22 he needs to really take his career more seriously and take some much needed coaching on board.  He's had a few too many failures under many different coaches now for it not to be him..............

I think this is unfair. I don't rate Burke but I don't know if we have any reason to suggest he doesn't take his career seriously or doesn't try and take coaching on board. He may just not have the ability it was once thought he may have.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #911 on: June 25, 2019, 03:58:25 PM »
Could be he peaked too early and is unable to sustain a good level.

The same fate may be awaiting Harper and L. Barry, how knows
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #912 on: June 25, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
Personally don't agree with Dowling. There are no guarantees when a player goes out on loan. Everything was going fairly well until Rodgers sodded off. Lennon didn't owe Burke or WBA anything. Can't be helped. Dowling came across like a young boy that had been told off. Should know better.
There are certain guarantees written in to most loan deals these days . One Prem club Everton ? even included penalty clauses stipulating that players must play a minimum percentage of games when fit regardless of how well or not they ere playing .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #913 on: June 25, 2019, 04:47:35 PM »
I cannot see any one agreeing to a clause for Oli Burke. If theydid we should be chasing them OUT of the public eye.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #914 on: June 25, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »
I think managers have been taken in by his blistering pace. The problem is his brain doesn't seem to think at the same speed. His anticipation and timing seem to be out of kilter. Leipzig management reportedly said he lacked tactical awareness.
Given the lack of forwards which threatens next season, maybe he won't have too much competition up front, but if that fails we'll have to write him off as a loss, and get what we can for him. That was Pulis' blunder, and that from the same manager who didn't rate Serge Gnarbry, now first choice striker for Bayern Munich and the German national team.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #915 on: June 25, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »
My guess would be that Burke was nothing to do with Pulis - apart from the rubber stamp.  If ever there was a player that didn't fit the Pulis mold it's Oli.  If Pulis was given the money he would spend it on someone who was proven, would grind out a 6/10 performance every week, and would be rigid in following team orders/formation.  I think it's more likely it was Hammond that identified he was available and pushed to sign his potential.  Spending £15m on a kid that had started less than 20 games - none in the PL - is complete madness... and not your standard, solid Pulis player.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #916 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:28 PM »
My guess would be that Burke was nothing to do with Pulis - apart from the rubber stamp.  If ever there was a player that didn't fit the Pulis mold it's Oli.  If Pulis was given the money he would spend it on someone who was proven, would grind out a 6/10 performance every week, and would be rigid in following team orders/formation.  I think it's more likely it was Hammond that identified he was available and pushed to sign his potential.  Spending £15m on a kid that had started less than 20 games - none in the PL - is complete madness... and not your standard, solid Pulis player.

So Hammond did this off his own bat without reference to Pulis? Surely when it comes to spending £15 milion of the Club's money, the first team manager couldn't be overruled? Is Pulis known for accepting new signings without his blessing?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:45:33 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #917 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
So Hammond did this off his own bat without reference to Pulis? Surely when it comes to spending £15 milion of the Club's money, the first team manager couldn't be overruled? Is Pulis known for accepting new signings without his blessing?

Next you'll be telling us that Pulis wanted HRK.  I think the club said that he wanted 5 and he got 5, but Pulis said I didn't want (all) those 5.  There was a public (press) bust up about it.

I just don't believe that Burke is a Pulis style player, or Pulis buy.  Give me an example of him buying another youngster, expecially for big money.  He buys tried and tested every time.  More likely the club thinking he was a good investment (and in theory it is - many clubs buy young talent, develop them and sell them on for profit) and Pulis thinking he might have something, and rubber stamping the deal.  If he was a Pulis pick he'd certainly have had more of a chance at game time.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #918 on: June 26, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
Didn't Pulis come out at the time and say that he'd watched Burke play for Scotland U21s at the Toulon tournament and that he was someone he wanted to sign?

Found this article which states that Pulis had watched Burke a number of times and was someone he wanted to sign.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/08/25/tony-pulis-oliver-burke-has-tools-to-play-several-positions/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:09:11 AM by Hull Baggie »

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #919 on: June 26, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Didn't Pulis come out at the time and say that he'd watched Burke play for Scotland U21s at the Toulon tournament and that he was someone he wanted to sign?

Found this article which states that Pulis had watched Burke a number of times and was someone he wanted to sign.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/08/25/tony-pulis-oliver-burke-has-tools-to-play-several-positions/

Reading that, it sounds like my assumption was completely wrong!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #920 on: August 01, 2019, 10:51:28 PM »
Ollie Burke has randomly deleted everything not Scotland or Celtic related off his Instagram account. Strange behaviour.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #921 on: August 01, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
Seems very strange but a lot of fans seem to be massively over reacting on twitter, if anything it looks like he’s been hacked by a Celtic fan, there’s no photos or anything that link him to us by like wise there’s nothing from his time at Forest or Leipzig
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #922 on: August 02, 2019, 11:29:10 AM »
Seems very strange but a lot of fans seem to be massively over reacting on twitter, if anything it looks like he’s been hacked by a Celtic fan, there’s no photos or anything that link him to us by like wise there’s nothing from his time at Forest or Leipzig

If he had been hacked by a Celtic fan they would have deleted the Scotland picture too.

It is strange and appears petulant. Suggests he's fallen out with Bilic or someone else at the club to me and could well be another player to go out before the window closes.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #923 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »
If he had been hacked by a Celtic fan they would have deleted the Scotland picture too.

It is strange and appears petulant. Suggests he's fallen out with Bilic or someone else at the club to me and could well be another player to go out before the window closes.

No tears will be shed, particularly if we get back a large chunk of the money we paid for him.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #924 on: August 02, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »
Hadn't really got any interest in the story but my curiosity got the better of me, so i've had a look on there and there are only 6 pictured, the latest of which is from early July, with Burke in his Albion training gear saying great to be back.

Am I missing something? He has just deleted most of his pictures 😂😂. Total non story. Bet he plays tomorrow.
Boing Boing