Author Topic: 24 Aug 2019 Derby County 1 Albion 1  (Read 36090 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »
I felt Livermore was still left wanting today, but far from our biggest issue. Our problem is how flat our midfield is and dettached from our poor striker.

Pereira or Willock in place of Krov might be a good option. Krov doesn't get forward enough considering he is part of the forward line in this formation. Good player but not suited to the role. Needs to be deep lying.
Boing Boing

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
I felt Livermore was still left wanting today, but far from our biggest issue. Our problem is how flat our midfield is and dettached from our poor striker.

Pereira or Willock in place of Krov might be a good option. Krov doesn't get forward enough considering he is part of the forward line in this formation. Good player but not suited to the role. Needs to be deep lying.
Don't like divers full stop.
Would say a draw was a fair result.

eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »
I think Pereira will get a retrospective ban for that- deception of a match official. Think that’s exactly what happened with Gayle?

Officials were beyond awful.

Overall we don’t create enough and don’t look like scoring.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
We are playing like a mid table side.
We must find a goal scorer and also bring in a decent defender who can marshall the troops.

We've got them in Austin and Hegazi but it won't make a difference if we don't see a shift in the way we are trying to attack.

Also, the people calling for 442 obviously don't watch much football. It's an outdated formation that nobody plays and we've looked appalling every time we've tried playing it in recent years. Fulham and Leeds play with one striker, as did Norwich and Villa last season, there's nothing wrong with it and if people think our problems will suddenly be fixed by chucking another sriker on then they are going to be disappointed.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
Good point in the end. I thought we were the better team over the 90 without playing particularly well, but we are our own worst enemy at the minute with some poor shooting and choices made in and around the box, such as our final ball and Gibbs' bad error for the penalty.

SJ only had to make 2 saves bar the 2 penalties, and for most of the second half I wan't concerned about conceding a second. They had 2-3 dangerous breaks into our box, but you'd expect that from a home team with top 6 aspirations. After we scored there only looked like one winner, which was us.

Considering we didn't start with 4 players who are going to end up being very important for us (Diangana, Perreira, Austin and Hegazi) think we are shaping up well.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
The transfer window is shut we have Hegazi to come back who do you suggest upfront?
Periera and Diangana should start.
They were the differece when we really started to play.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »

Hit it literally anywhere else into the gaping empty net in front of him?

It was behind him for a start, he was stretching to get it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1165257124391378944
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »

Hit it literally anywhere else into the gaping empty net in front of him?

An up and under would go in from 2 yards, think Saints will need to win some aerial ball today !!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
Periera and Diangana should start.
They were the differece when we really started to play.
Like Barcelona when they played with no recognised striker?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »

This.  He's done well to get that on target, the Derby defender has done brilliant to get in front of it and put the block in. 

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
If the defender doesn't get a block on it then it's in the back of the net.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
This.  He's done well to get that on target, the Derby defender has done brilliant to get in front of it and put the block in.

Is it? Looks like it could be bouncing over.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
I thought Semi was excellent today, a beast of a player. A partnership of him and Hegazi would be immense, but perhaps we would be better balanced with him playing alongside Sawyers (who was also peerless today) in the double-pivot. This would allow Krov to be in the middle of the attacking three with Perreira and Diangana on the wings and Austin to play the lone striker when he is up to speed.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »

Trust you to ruin a good moan with a fact......
MAGA!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »

I still think he should have buried it. Bad miss from a very average player. Shame we haven't two Sawyers.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
I still think he should have buried it. Bad miss from a very average player. Shame we haven't two Sawyers.

Maybe he wouldn't have to run from defensive midfield into the box if we had somebody in the forward line who could score.
I think Livermore complements Sawyers he's the better tackler.  It shouldn't be him on that chance.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »
I think Livermore has been good this season and it wasn't an easy chance today (and it was blocked).

I also think there should have been no penaltys today - the ref/linesman were appalling and tried to ruin the game.
That said we were still poor. I'd start both Diangana and Perreira vs Blackburn and if we don't win I'd go 4-4-2 after the break as our team looks short on chances.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »
Pereira changed the game and he should start next time.
A little bit harsh for Edwards to be taken off at half time again, I think he did OK today.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:20:54 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
It's obvious that Diangana and Pereira need to start as many games as possible as they are very very clearly our 2 best players. It doesn't matter too much who we have to drop to do it as none of the others are playing very well in all honesty. Krovinovic is almost good and sawyers did not do a lot today except for simple short passes in safe areas. Livermore continues to give the ball away cheaply and is not exactly great at his general duties. Phillips struggles when he doesn't have space to run into. Edwards tries hard and has a few tricks but he's not quite there yet as he's still learning.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
We've got them in Austin and Hegazi but it won't make a difference if we don't see a shift in the way we are trying to attack.

Also, the people calling for 442 obviously don't watch much football. It's an outdated formation that nobody plays and we've looked appalling every time we've tried playing it in recent years. Fulham and Leeds play with one striker, as did Norwich and Villa last season, there's nothing wrong with it and if people think our problems will suddenly be fixed by chucking another sriker on then they are going to be disappointed.
Agree with this. Nothing wrong with the formation. We need to move the ball quicker and be a bit more direct. Final ball needs to improve but most of all we need to commit more bodies forward when attacking. Too often Zohore was on his own in the box again today.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
More Livermore bashing for no reason. For the first time in a few years the central 2 are not the problem. His chance was deflected, not sure what else he could have done.
Livermore is having a good start to the season
I think this is going to be difficult to resolve for billic
When I watched the game today I genuinely 5hought two things
1) non of our players had a bad game
2) we need to change quite a bit to have any impact on this league

Is it sawyers, he keeps ball well but does slow the pace down, should we go 3 at the back which allows us two up front because Austin / Zohore look like they cannot do 90 mins doing that role (not a knock, ive played up front alone...it’s murder unless the midfield are right on ya)
Is it Krovonivic suffering from Borja Valero syndrome?, he’s a great footballer but if we dropped him for a more att king no 10?, did billic make his own headache by getting too many wingers in ?

There is a thousand and one headaches, I suppose that’s football, it would be interesting to see what happened if we had got Gayle....would we have scored/won more.....or would we have the most frustrated striker in the league ?

In January (if it were my call) I’d be after Shane long ( might not be prolific but no one can doubt the work ethic and closing down) and someone in the middle who will organise and tackle (schnerdlin/yacob type)

Unbeaten .....imagine if we clicked
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
Very concerned now with the team selection and subs. Another poor result based on balance of play. Thanks to Captain Marvel who can't convert a 2 yard open goal.

Off to watch some top class Rugby League now. Back later.

Don’t rush back on our account  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »
I think some fans need to remember this is effectively a new team jelling together, players need to get used to each other, that takes time, defensively we are very different to last season, the forwards definitely will improve in time.
Baggie in Southampton

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
 I think it's becoming more obvious by each game that we are a striker short and it's very worrying from what I have seen so far that big Ken and Austin are only a slight improvement on HRK.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
Brave of Bilic to sub Gibbs with only 20 mins gone but he was having a mare. Thought Furlong did well.

Overall I think we deserved a point but I don't like anyone diving.

Thought Phillips was pretty poor and I would have subbed him at half time rather than Edwards. The amount of times he played the ball back to Ferguson but didn't move forward meaning that Ferguson had little option but to play the ball sideways or backwards.

Sawyers was better than on Wednesday but still was nowhere near his earlier performances. Livermore definitely the pick of the two.

I like Diangana but I've noticed he comes inside too much and leaves us bunched up in the middle. I'm all for a fluid 3 but we need width and quite often he was inside giving us no wide out ball.

The players need to practise shooting.

Johnstone had a very good game, no chance with the first penalty but great dive and save for the second. Collected a lot of crosses too.

I think some fans need to remember this is effectively a new team jelling together, players need to get used to each other, that takes time, defensively we are very different to last season, the forwards definitely will improve in time.

This is pretty much where I am at the minute, I just hope the gelling isn't too far in the future.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill