Author Topic: 20 Jan 2018 Everton 1 Albion 1  (Read 44077 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »

we seriously need a goal scorer, no good just putting yourself about if you cant do what you are paid to do
I could count on the fingers of one finger the times when you disagree with anything at all that Albion 59 says. Just about everyone else can see the huge value that Rondon brings to the team

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
I'm actually encouraged by the fact that we're now having a go and creating a few more chances. The change in the players mind-set is going to take a little more time, but we are seeing some evidence. We had 15 attempts with 5 on target, how refreshing!

Its going to be tight in the next few weeks, but I think we can stay up if we carry on giving ourselves a fighting chance.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
I'm actually encouraged by the fact that we're now having a go and creating a few more chances. The change in the players mind-set is going to take a little more time, but we are seeing some evidence. We had 15 attempts with 5 on target, how refreshing!

Its going to be tight in the next few weeks, but I think we can stay up if we carry on giving ourselves a fighting chance.

We had one good chance. Forget volume and concentrate on quality. Those numbers look good but are not translating into anything.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

We had one good chance. Forget volume and concentrate on quality. Those numbers look good but are not translating into anything.

I think Phillips rebound attempt should have been much better.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »

No more than a half chance, had to hit it first time on his wrong foot from way outside the normal kicking arc. Aside from the goal the best chance was probably Krychowiak's early shot.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »
I have said it before.......All player must expect the ball at all times.
That ball can come from anywhere and any speed.
Reaction times must be better.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
Agree with most, not a bad point in isolation but we aren't winning. WM said we are making progress as we have only lost 1 in 6 but we have only won 2 in 6 (and 1 was against a division 2 team). The new manager bounce seemed to work for Stoke too which puts more pressure on us :(

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
Two points dropped in the end, sloppy for their goal, but came back into it. A point isn't a terrible result but considering we've lost to virtually every relegation contender around us, unfortunately we need to be winning some of the games like this.

Unfortunately that's happened far too many games now, reminds me a bit of Mowbray's season were we will look back on a lot of games we didn't get the points we should have from. Considering we have Chelsea and City away in our next 3 games, anything but a win against Southampton will virtually relegate us.

Bloody hell, glass half empty all right. We’re on a good little run, playing well and lots of points to be had at home and you have us relegated

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
Thoughts go out to Macarthy and wish him a speedy recovery. I thought we were good today certainly matched Everton and had the better chances. I'm worried though that games like those are the types we need to be picking 3 points up from when your in a winning position and kept them quite, shocking defending on the goal no-one picked Walcott up.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2018, 06:58:20 PM »
Agree with most, not a bad point in isolation but we aren't winning. WM said we are making progress as we have only lost 1 in 6 but we have only won 2 in 6 (and 1 was against a division 2 team). The new manager bounce seemed to work for Stoke too which puts more pressure on us :(
Stoke will not be in trouble. The teams we need to target are Brighton. Huddersfield, Newcastle, Swansea and possibly Watford.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
This just has the making of a sad and sorry season for us. Just not good enough, we HAD to hold out today to keep ourselves in with a chance, but i can see us being 5 or so points adrift come the end of the game against city. Ill be honest, after the end of the west ham game i thought it was all over. But then after exeter and brighton my hope was renewed somewhat. Ill see how things are after the end of the next 3 games but i still think its a humungous task for us to stay up. Also: the most painful thing of all, is wolves and villa look a good bet to both go up :(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:51:51 PM by crazedwbafan18 »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:54 PM »
McCarthy in that band of most unlucky players in the business - must be completely gutted.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »

What chances did he miss? We only created one REAL chance. Rodriguez scored it. It wouldn't have happened if not for Rondon.

Corner in first half injury time Rondon had a free header to make it 2-0. Should have scored and he missed. Strange how you blocked that out of your memory. Probably Rondon's best performance of the season today but he's not clinical enough.

Great first goal. Peach of a pass from Greg, fantastic movement and control from J-Rod and then a cool finish. Not something I've ever seen Rondon do. Very unlucky with his shot of the bar late on mind.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
Corner in first half injury time Rondon had a free header to make it 2-0. Should have scored and he missed. Strange how you blocked that out of your memory. Probably Rondon's best performance of the season today but he's not clinical enough.

Great first goal. Peach of a pass from Greg, fantastic movement and control from J-Rod and then a cool finish. Not something I've ever seen Rondon do. Very unlucky with his shot of the bar late on mind.

Hardly a free header, ball was very high but he managed to meet it with a bullet header, i agree that he should have hit the target but it wasnt a clear cut chance he got on the end of a cross with a great run

He's not a clinical striker agreed  but he is massively important to us

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »

Wasn't a clear chance. Like his header that flashed wide 2nd half. If you're expecting any striker to knock them in every time you're going to be very disappointed.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:41 PM »

Wasn't a clear chance. Like his header that flashed wide 2nd half. If you're expecting any striker to knock them in every time you're going to be very disappointed.

I heard this before from you. Your stock response to every chance he's spurned. The miss from the corner first half was very much a clear chance. He had a free run at the ball and a clear header, as good a chance as you can expect from a corner. The header that flashed wide second half wasn't even a half-chance, and it was very good effort, almost impossible to score from that angle, he had a good go at it. Doesn't mean he shouldn't have hit the target with his free header in the first half though.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
Most importantly, the performance was another good one. I don't want to single them out but I really do think we look far better when Livermore and McClean are on the bench.
It's a cliche but if we play like that every game then we should be ok. Having said that, Gibbs did poor with his marking today for their goal and our defence still needs sorting.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2018, 11:18:33 PM »
Give up. There's no point arguing with people who let their dislike of one player cloud their judgement of every match we play. Anyone who couldn't see that Rondon was excellent today needs to find a new hobby.

Our problem is creating chances, if 25 yard rockets from Rondon is the best we can come up with then of course he isn't going to be scoring many. Either wait for Chadli to come back or sign someone to play in the hole, maybe then Rondon will get some actual chances.
Let me say this again for those of you who obviously don't read the threads properly, i don't dislike Rondon i just know he ain't a goal scorer and misses so many chances. Get a new hobby so you think the Albion for me is a hobby? The Albion have been my life for 51 years so i think it's a bit more than a hobby!!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
I heard this before from you. Your stock response to every chance he's spurned. The miss from the corner first half was very much a clear chance. He had a free run at the ball and a clear header, as good a chance as you can expect from a corner. The header that flashed wide second half wasn't even a half-chance, and it was very good effort, almost impossible to score from that angle, he had a good go at it. Doesn't mean he shouldn't have hit the target with his free header in the first half though.

It was the wrong angle for him to put it away, let's be honest. Looking to blame him for misses like that are hunting for a stick to beat him with. Was up there for MotM today and probably our most dangerous player going forward.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
Played well for most of the game, Brunt and Gibbs asleep for the goal.

I've been very critical of Rondon in the past but he was excellent yesterday and just needed a goal to round off a very good performance.

Anything we get away from home is a bonus in our situation, would have taken a point before the match but thought we deserved all 3. It's our home games that we need to win. We must beat Southampton and Huddersfield.

Whilst Stoke beating Huddersfield is a poor result for us it has dragged Huddersfield even more into the relegation scrap and I think over the next couple of games both Stoke and Huddersfield along with Soton, Brighton and Newcastle will struggle to pick up points.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
Mixed bag for me , thought we started well and a brilliant goal from Rondon, Greg and J Rod for the finish.
1st half I was very pleased , 2nd as usual we dropped deep for the first 30 mins with our clever out balls missing from the first 45. Finished strongly and maybe should have won at the end but a tad frustrating for me.
In many ways the game summed our issues up , Rondon great game but his finishing is not good enough and you never get the feeling he will score . His fellow forward in JRod is decent in front of goal yet once again fades badly after an hour , our best two midfielders in Barry and Brunt are well into their 30's and also fade a bit as the game goes on although Greg was better Today.
Our bench has little quality options and we are 1 or 2 injuries from falling apart , if Williams and co can't see the need for two quality players then we might as well give up.

I agree we faded I think the difference between the teams was that Allardyce could call upon decent subs whereas we could only bring on McBrainless (please, please can we sell him to his beloved Celtic?) and Livermore.  Surely there's a case bring Field on?
Gibbs is not perfect but I think he's a lot better than we have had at LB recently.  I guess Livermore will be useful in the Championship where his toughness is more important. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »
I've seen Gibbs take some stick for the goal on Saturday which is understandable but that goal typifies something I have seen defensively that I am not overly keen on. Once the ball is out wide near the byline and played back towards the edge of the area for a different crossing angle, we aren't pushing out. It's not that we aren't pushing out quickly enough, we don't seem to be inclined to do it at all. As soon as the ball is played back, we should be looking to squeeze out towards the edge of the area, leaving any attacking players in there offside. Brighton was my first live game in a while and I noticed it then, perhaps it is a preference of Pardew's not to squeeze out too much but I would much rather we did - I think that way we would have avoided the goal we conceded on Saturday.