Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 427772 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #1975 on: June 19, 2018, 07:38:16 PM »
Seconded,close it down

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1976 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
Seconded,close it down

perhaps you might want to stop posting in the thread then?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1977 on: June 20, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
perhaps you might want to stop posting in the thread then?

I did think exactly this. There are a number of threads that have disappeared into the abyss of pages 2, 3 and 4 of this sub-forum because of a lack of activity not because they were closed.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1978 on: January 08, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »
Anyone notice how this guy seems to turn out week in week out for Leicester. His injury record was not the best with us, kept missing games here and there. it makes me wonder if he ever wanted to play for us

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1979 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
Anyone notice how this guy seems to turn out week in week out for Leicester. His injury record was not the best with us, kept missing games here and there. it makes me wonder if he ever wanted to play for us
Not so much after his pal Darren left, we were always beneath him in his eyes really, he signed when he was in a huff with Man Utd I think

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1980 on: January 09, 2020, 01:43:52 AM »
The day fletcher left (insulted by the contract we had offered him) Evans wanted out. Its all good saying we shoud of sold him for the 20 million whatever numbers were mentioned but he was key to everything for us at the time. I like others wouldn't applaud him should he ever return.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1981 on: January 09, 2020, 07:46:17 AM »
A lot of players go through phases where they have a run of injuries and then stay clear for a while. Form can also drop off when they are in that run of injures. Maybe the training regimes at Leicester or whatever he's doing himself now is suiting him better.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1982 on: January 09, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »

Very much like Chadli

I wouldnt want to play for Pulis either to be fair  ;D

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1983 on: January 09, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
I thought the bell end stopped playing for us in his last season knowing that us going down would benefit as he could go for £3.5m.

If he ever comes back as an opposition player, I won't clap him.

I agree, he was a disappointment overall as a player, we got money back on him so not all negative.
Baggie in Southampton

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1984 on: January 09, 2020, 08:35:23 AM »
his performances did go down once fletcher left and he obviously wanted out like others have mentioned but in my opinion he is the best centre half we have ever had in the premier league.

his composure on the ball in his own box was fantastic and at the time he was too good for us.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1985 on: January 09, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
his performances did go down once fletcher left and he obviously wanted out like others have mentioned but in my opinion he is the best centre half we have ever had in the premier league.

his composure on the ball in his own box was fantastic and at the time he was too good for us.

See I disagree with this completely. I thought he was vastly overrated, simply for the fact he came from Man Utd. He wasn't that good, McAuley was a better defender, and Evans was never really arsed to play for us.

One moment that sticks in the mind is when we were playing Leicester. Vardy got in behind Evans, and he simply gave up; McAuley came across and at 34/35 still nearly caught Vardy before he scored. If Evans had tried to get back, he could have. But he didn't, because we were beneath him and he didn't care. And this was well before his last season with us.

I would have got rid at the first opportunity, and reinvested. People just had stars in their eyes, but he was rubbish.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1986 on: January 09, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
Bored people waiting for some transfer activity me thinks.............. like me ;)
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1987 on: January 09, 2020, 09:03:52 AM »
Evans is a classy defender I think but wasn't our best defender I've seen in recent years (I'd pick a McCauley in his prime ahead of him all day). It was pretty clear he saw us as being below him and was always waiting for a better offer which eventually came. On the flip side, he gave us a couple of good years overall. The last six months or so he simply wasn't interested in being here which was maybe a bit disrespectful to the club but it's indicative of many/ most players these days who are only ever month or two away from their next move.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1988 on: January 09, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
I thought the bell end stopped playing for us in his last season knowing that us going down would benefit as he could go for £3.5m.

If he ever comes back as an opposition player, I won't clap him.

This, he wanted to go in the end and was let his peformances dip. Not the only one in the team who did it.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1989 on: January 09, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »
This, he wanted to go in the end and was let his peformances dip. Not the only one in the team who did it.

Dawson IMHO was the same that last season in the PL.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1990 on: January 09, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
See I disagree with this completely. I thought he was vastly overrated, simply for the fact he came from Man Utd. He wasn't that good, McAuley was a better defender, and Evans was never really arsed to play for us.

One moment that sticks in the mind is when we were playing Leicester. Vardy got in behind Evans, and he simply gave up; McAuley came across and at 34/35 still nearly caught Vardy before he scored. If Evans had tried to get back, he could have. But he didn't, because we were beneath him and he didn't care. And this was well before his last season with us.

I would have got rid at the first opportunity, and reinvested. People just had stars in their eyes, but he was rubbish.

its mad that we see completely different things as football fans but i guess thats football for you !

Mccauley was a better out and out defender, but as an overall centre half and in todays game how it is becoming more and more expected to be comfortable on the ball, i do think Evans is the best centre half we had in the premier league. I just think the first 2 seasons he oozed class and composure on the ball.

and as i have just said about it becoming more and more expected/popular for a centre half to be comfortable on the ball, i think thats what olsson seriously struggled with in the final year or two of being here. Mccauley wasnt just a "stopper" he could bring the ball out and a fantastic player for us and servant to the club but to judge them both as overall players, i think Evans was better.

but as others have said, i will never clap him if he returns to the Hawthorns again simply for the way he was in that final year of not really giving a shi* and the taxi fiasco in spain when he was club captain.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1991 on: January 09, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »
the club carried some real dead wood for large parts of that season, (Chadli / Evans / Krychowiak / Sturridge for starters) its pretty remarkable that we were still fighting with a few games left IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1992 on: January 09, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
Yet again it is fascinating to see differing opinions. In my honest opinion he was, and still is, a class act.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1993 on: January 09, 2020, 12:55:48 PM »
He was just ahead of G-Mac for me  in the first 2 seasons but was generally poor in the relegation season.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1994 on: January 09, 2020, 01:07:57 PM »
Evans was a class act especially in his first 2 seasons. His performance away at Man Utd in the 0-0 draw was one of the best I've seen from one of our CH's. The fact than Man City bid for him and he still plays in the Prem speaks volumes.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1995 on: January 09, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
Evans was a class act especially in his first 2 seasons. His performance away at Man Utd in the 0-0 draw was one of the best I've seen from one of our CH's. The fact than Man City bid for him and he still plays in the Prem speaks volumes.

Phil Jones still plays for Man Utd, Scott Carson is a Man City player. Sometimes it's about something other than quality.

For what it's worth, I think if you swapped him and Maguire Leicester would be better and United even worse.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1996 on: January 09, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »

I agree with that, best defender I have seen down there for a very long time. I could not believe it when we signed him and for the first two years he was excellent, but as soon as the Pulis style went stale, his performance dropped and he could see the writing on the wall. It is disappointing but he was not the only one in our squad. He is a regular now with Leicester and rightly so - still looks class.

Lets be fair, that season when we had Chadli, Sturridge, Krychowiak etc was not our finest moment, I can see how demoralising it would have been for a class player like Evans in that squad.

I respect him for the two good seasons he gave us.
MAGA!

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1997 on: January 09, 2020, 05:12:51 PM »
The guy was pure class. Way too good in every department.

People slagging this guy off need to look at themselves. He is one of the first names on the team sheet for the  team sitting 2nd in the Premier league  :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:15:52 PM by Ross »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1998 on: January 09, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Mods, any chance of ending the Jonny Evans love in please? One thing is for sure, e ay cummin back ere.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1999 on: January 09, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »
Mods, any chance of ending the Jonny Evans love in please? One thing is for sure, e ay cummin back ere.

Nope, if we do we get moaned at and if we don't we get moaned so it stays