Author Topic: Emigrating & leaving the Albion behind - could you do it?  (Read 6537 times)

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

Emigrating & leaving the Albion behind - could you do it?
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »
Evening from Down Under from a relatively newly exiled Baggie...

I've been conversing with 1 or 2 Baggies over here in Perth on the Swansea match thread & it's got me thinking about the whole 'leaving Albion behind' thing. I moved out here in 2011 & I found it as hard if not harder than leaving family etc as you don't realise what a big part of your life the Saturday match routine is & the tonic that watching Albion is after a long working week.

SO for all us Baggie exiles, I'm just settin up the same scenario, i.e if a good job offer & a life in the sunshine came knocking on your door, could you up sticks & leave the Albion all behind? Or with all the decision-making that goes in such a lif-changing decision, would the pull of loyalty to the Albion convince you to stay put and that the grass is not always greener?

Be interested to hear what you all think
Baggie Down Under 🙃

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: Emigrating & leaving the Albion behind - could you do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »
Hi AJ,

For me it was the greatest decision I ever made for my young family. It's a fantastic lifestyle with great opportunities. It was hard to leave friends family and more importantly my beloved Baggies. But in hindsight speaking to all my friends and some fellow baggies fans how lucky was I to get out when things were still good in the UK as I know many are struggling and fed up of the changes that have occurred over he last 5+ years.

This forum and the live games on Fox keep my love for the Albion alive. I know it's not the same and try and come over for a few games when I can which is very expensive but saying that the sacrifice is worth it to give my young family great opportunities for the future.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
I lived in Spain for 3 years but luckily for me the owner of my local had the arab satellite channels so watched most of the games anyway, also came over for the 2 Wembley games and always made sure when I came back for family visits I took a game in, only down side was I gave my season ticket up at the back of the Smethwick which I had for over 10 years and obviously no chance of getting it back. Moved back here 2 years ago and its good to be back watching them live...no place like home!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
I did it partly for the future of my kids and also because of the disillusionment of where the UK is heading, but that doesn't change the fact the I miss the Albion a hell of a lot, as a newcomer out here.

A big,big plus is that the Sky equivalent out her (Foxtel) broadcast all Premier League games live which means that you get to see every home & away game if you fork out for the subscription.

The irony is that we are doing so well now that I've left ........... ::)
Baggie Down Under 🙃

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
Moving to Weymouth was the best thing that happened to me.Only 3 hours from the s--t hole i was born in not far to travel to watch the mighty Baggies.
Seriously when i get my inheritance i will consider moving to Spain and still make half a dozen games, thats the plan anyway.
I would never move to Aus to far away from the Albion for me but i understand family reasons and the way this country is heading, third world in years to come
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
I see both sides of the equation now, we have a great life out here but home will always be home, despite the way things are turning out. We may move back one day who knows, as Richard Ashcroft says..nothin ever lasts for ever.......
Baggie Down Under 🙃

BearwoodBaggie

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
I would. Had to give up my season ticket on our first year back in the prem with RDM because I was living in Moscow. I did miss it, but on the other hand, it was quite nice to watch the Albion games over there. It was my little slice of home but then I could go out and enjoy all that Moscow has to offer - even more so after Albion won!

I'm back in the UK now, but could be moving away quite soon and to be honest the albion didn't really come into my thoughts when applying for jobs - I've got to go where the work is. It's not so much of a wrench now because via social media , forums and streaming, you can still feel so connected to the club.

Plus, it's the chance to spread the word about Albion around the world!! I used to wear my WBA beanie hat in Moscow, and occasionally I'd be asked what WBA stood for and I got the chance to explain to some unassuming Russian all about my team. I'd like to think there are a few more Baggies in Moscow now thanks to my presence  ;D

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
Not so much emigrating, but I do plan to move to London at some point in the not-too-distant future. I will probably give up my season ticket then, but I'll still try and come back for some games.

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:50:13 PM »
I think anywhere in Europe wouldn't be so bad. Cheap flights would enable you to get back for a fair few games each season. Australia is too far though for that. I would never be able to come back if I went, its too expensive. Plus my pale skin wouldn't agree with the move. Then there's all the bug and insects you hear about. Its a no no for me. However I would like to go over for the ashes and experience a few months out there.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
I think anywhere in Europe wouldn't be so bad. Cheap flights would enable you to get back for a fair few games each season. Australia is too far though for that. I would never be able to come back if I went, its too expensive. Plus my pale skin wouldn't agree with the move. Then there's all the bug and insects you hear about. Its a no no for me. However I would like to go over for the ashes and experience a few months out there.
Has somebody been watching too much Im a Celebrity??  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

jonny

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »
NO! Was bad enough when I went to Swansea for uni!

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
Leaving the albion behind wouldnt be the hardest thing, Family friends and the lifestyle you have got would hit more than missing Albion, You can always watch on the net, get over for some games etc, I would miss it but other things i would miss more,

I wouldnt miss this pooh weather though
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

row ww

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »
My eldest Lad is an Albion fanatic,Followed them home and away,watched pre season friendlies,bought most of the items in the Club shop.I am sure there are a few posters on here who have done the same things.Then 2 years ago,he and his Wife were both offered positions working in Abu Dhabi.I was surprised when he jumped at the chance! "What about the Baggies?" I asked. " Computers and £80000 a year"he replied.Enough said!

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
Its been sort of the opposite for me because I grew up in Hong Kong and Singapore and only came across the Albion when we eventually returned home to the UK in the early 2000's. Only then did I find out my dad was such an avid Albion fan and had the conversations about how much he missed going to the games; even though they were pretty rubbish at the times. My dad eventually got me a season ticket with him, I got the bug and have been going ever since.

It's funny how this thread has popped up now actually because I might be emigrating again. As we all know times are pretty tough out there at the moment and since leaving university finding work is ridiculously tough. Luckily I have the option to go aboard again if I want to gain some experience.

To sacrifice going to the Albion is tough, but it will always be there and that is what matters most. 
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

row ww

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
Its been sort of the opposite for me because I grew up in Hong Kong and Singapore and only came across the Albion when we eventually returned home to the UK in the early 2000's. Only then did I find out my dad was such an avid Albion fan and had the conversations about how much he missed going to the games; even though they were pretty rubbish at the times. My dad eventually got me a season ticket with him, I got the bug and have been going ever since.

It's funny how this thread has popped up now actually because I might be emigrating again. As we all know times are pretty tough out there at the moment and since leaving university finding work is ridiculously tough. Luckily I have the option to go aboard again if I want to gain some experience.

To sacrifice going to the Albion is tough, but it will always be there and that is what matters most.

Times have changed so much Mate.My Dad worked for the same Company based in West Brom for 40 years.He was also an avid Albion fan,and if someone had offered him the opportunity to work abroad,he would have turned it down flat.No internet then.Nowadays ,if you want to make any sort of decent living for yourself,and eventually Family,you have to go where the jobs are,and I am not talking about getting on your bike,more like a Plane these days.You can always follow the Baggies matches more or less from anywhere in the World.Yes,missing the match day experience is tough,but not as tough as being jobless and not being able to go anyway!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
I'm a mature studnet at Uni, will be 33 when i finish and (hopefully) get my degree and i then fully intend to move to Japan and teach english so after 33 years of following the albion and 29 years of going to games it will be a big miss from my life but one i'm prepared to sacrifice to follow my lifes dreams and as stated i'll still be able to follow games on the web.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
I can't answer the question honestly as I'm not in that position. What I would say is, don't let the Albion ruin your chances of fulfilling something in life, whether it's your dreams or just want to experience a better lifestyle. My dads mate moved to Australia in 02 and he hasn't looked back since, he has a successful job, a family he loves, his extended family have moved over and most importantly his kids enjoy Australia more than they do England - Providing your family is happy then football becomes very much second best.

Just because you're not there to watch the Albion or cheer them on doesn't mean your any less of a supporter but you only get once chance to live and you really shouldn't allow the Albion, as much as we love them to block your dreams or stop you making something of your life.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 03:42:37 PM »
I think leaving certain friends and family behind would be much more of an issue than leaving the football club that I do genuinely love. The thing is my love affair with Albion has been changing in recent years, I don't feel the need to go to every away game like I used to or even go well out of my way to listen to them on the radio or find a stream anymore so maybe if the circumstances were right I could leave the club behind but I don't see myself leaving the Midlands anytime soon so I haven't given that much thought before.

As things stand due to work commitments its getting harder to follow the club for me anyway. I might miss my first home game in over 6 years next month because I actually need to sleep at some point and finishing work at 10 on a Sunday morning going to the match for 4 and being back at work for 10 in the evening might be a little too much for me but I need to work to survive so sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

AuxerreAlbion

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Going to the games wth family and friends is the main thing that I miss.  I' ve got Albion supporting family over here, and come across a fair few Albion fans as we get lots of tourists, so I 'm  never short of banter, but going to games (and I left before we got back to the top flight) is the greatest loss of my new life.
I've often said that I'll go back to retire in the midlands so that I can follow the Albion and it's not meant as a joke.
I took my lad to the Saints game and it was the highlight of my holiday, his too.

Turkish baggie

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
Over the last 25 years or so I have been out of the UK for about 23 of those years. A lot of that was of  periods of 3 to 8 months but then 3 years and 2years. Now I  have my home in Turkey.

People who have read on here who know about my youth and my heart, which is the Albion, also know about living abroad?

Anyone who puts the Albion or any team or any sport above making your life better is a fool!
Love the Albion love the memories but do not sacrifice a better way of life for, what? Remember the players will move for more money you will ever see!

My mate had a offer to be deputy controller of the software system for Kawasaki in Amsterdam, he said no because he followed Moseley rugby club. Moseley is my rugby club, but what a idiot!

Of course it is up to you but think! Think long and hard what moving away from the UK will bring to your future! Albion, football whatever is nothing! What pays the bills and secures your life and your family is work and money, not Albion on a match day!

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Yes to be honest the albion would be the last thing on my mind

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
I left UK in 1968 (just after we won the Cup).I was 14 and my Dad wanted to start a new life in Oz.

I did miss the Albion very much,as coverage over here was a small column in the paper giving the scores...or 2 mins on a sports programme.

I have been back a couple of times to watch games.....most recent being us beating Liverpool with 2 Brunty penalties and Roy getting revenge.

These days with Foxsports channels we get to see 95% of all Albion games....even though it is often at 1am Oz time....the missus thinks I am an idiot staying up...but I don't care!!! :D

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
Ive just moved down to London and this is still too far! every saturday just knowing all my mates are in the pub waiting for the match does get me down :( then just not being at the ground having to look at the hawthorns on a crappy little stream is really depressing :( havent been able to get to one game this season i brought tickets and travel for the man city game but then got offered a job days before and was asked to start straight away which got me even more depressed!
Ive missed live football so much ive even gone and watched milwall a couple of times as chris wood is the closest i can get to the albion but its just not the same at all.
If i was offered the chance to move to australia with a good job i dont know what i would choose its quite weird how we grow so attatched to a club really isnt it when you think about it....

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
you just have to get where the job dictates. so many times at uni this year ive had to be firm with myself and said setting myself back on work, for what? i wanted to go to swansea and sunderland, but i decided to get ahead on work. you cannot let them rule the roost, life wont wait for you and if given the chance abroad(providing the country is stable lol) you gotta go. i hope one day to able to reside in austria, working on the ski slopes and enjoy their pace of life. fantastic country.

petethebaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
Hello all boing boing

I left to live in the States in 95 but still think about the baggies about every 20 minutes on average in the blood as you all know. When I went to my last game whilst still living there, we lost can't remember who we were playing not important. My mates Dad told the steward in the Brummie Road that I was leaving. He arranged for me to go down and meet the players after the game, I Remember shaking Kevin Donavon's hand.  The Albion are a real family club but you have to ask yourself would that happen today?
Swansea Semi Final Playoffs 1993...we know who we are!