Author Topic: Alex Palmer  (Read 98311 times)

tex

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alex Palmer
« Reply #925 on: March 10, 2024, 03:53:53 PM »
as mentioned before, he has a mistake or two in him but also has a couple of class moments as well. Good keeper who hopefully is improving with experience.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #926 on: March 10, 2024, 04:08:33 PM »
Another agreement here. I can’t believe what I’m reading. He’s made a couple of errors this week. He’s bounced back and shown great resilience too. And he’s been reliable this season.

To say he makes a clanger for every good save is OTT in my opinion.

Each to their own opinion wise but it's complete and utter BS in mine to be perfectly honest.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #927 on: March 10, 2024, 04:33:30 PM »
Depends if you count kicking it straight out of play for a throw in when under no pressure as a clanger :)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #928 on: March 10, 2024, 07:26:32 PM »
Depends if you count kicking it straight out of play for a throw in when under no pressure as a clanger :)
Not a Major Clanger

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #929 on: March 10, 2024, 07:48:05 PM »
I can't see he could have done much about the opening goal. It was Furlong who let their forward get away. Anyway, 3 top saves second half kept us in it when Huddersfield might have crept back into the game.

I thought Furlongs defending for it was awful, I do feel Palmer should have done better as well though

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #930 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:41 PM »

I thought Furlongs defending for it was awful, I do feel Palmer should have done better as well though
You're certainly right about Furlong. We had 3 people defending the middle, so he only had to defend against their player going outside, which he singularly failed to do. But all players make mistakes and Furlong didn't do much else wrong. Yes, maybe Palmer could have done a bit better but he more than made up for it in the second half with at least 3 excellent saves, so again not going to be too critical of his one slight error.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #931 on: March 10, 2024, 08:03:10 PM »
Yes he could have done better for the goal but that doesn’t make him anything but our best keeper . I would have him all day long over Josh Griffiths and particularly our two previous incumbents Johnstone and Button .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #932 on: March 10, 2024, 08:06:07 PM »
You're certainly right about Furlong. We had 3 people defending the middle, so he only had to defend against their player going outside, which he singularly failed to do. But all players make mistakes and Furlong didn't do much else wrong. Yes, maybe Palmer could have done a bit better but he more than made up for it in the second half with at least 3 excellent saves, so again not going to be too critical of his one slight error.

Didn't see the 2nd half Tim so i've not commented on it other than to say it sounded amazing in comparison to the 1st half which i did see. I did note that multiple people said Palmer made more than 1 decent stop in the 2nd half so that's good to hear!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #933 on: March 10, 2024, 08:14:58 PM »

Didn't see the 2nd half Tim so i've not commented on it other than to say it sounded amazing in comparison to the 1st half which i did see. I did note that multiple people said Palmer made more than 1 decent stop in the 2nd half so that's good to hear!
Hope you get to see the whole 2nd half and not just the highlights, as it was a joy to watch. Hard to believe I know, after the turgid first half performance. Palmer made an excellent double save and a couple of other decent stops as well.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #934 on: March 10, 2024, 08:18:24 PM »
Hope you get to see the whole 2nd half and not just the highlights, as it was a joy to watch. Hard to believe I know, after the turgid first half performance. Palmer made an excellent double save and a couple of other decent stops as well.

I've got WBA TV so i think the club post it (the full game) up there over the next 48 hours, will be sure to give it a watch, thanks.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: March 10, 2024, 08:32:25 PM »
If he didnt make the odd mistake and if his distribution was great he also wouldnt be at this club.
Gera, Gera, Gera

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: March 10, 2024, 08:40:10 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that to some people every goal we concede is down to the keeper - I even remember someone criticising Sam Johnstone for not saving a penalty!
Today he could have done better but from the position their forward was in you'd expect him to score. Presumably Mikey's second goal was also due to a goalkeeping error as it was from a similar position? As for his distribution, a lot of the time he just has nobody looking to receive the ball.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #937 on: March 10, 2024, 09:29:14 PM »
The best we have had for a long time.
Not perfect, but who is?
I am a critic at all times, even Fozzie made bloomers. (I remember him dropping the the ball at a Stoke player's feet for him to dribble the ball in).
I would like to think that I am a positive critic.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #938 on: March 10, 2024, 10:19:53 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that to some people every goal we concede is down to the keeper - I even remember someone criticising Sam Johnstone for not saving a penalty!
Today he could have done better but from the position their forward was in you'd expect him to score. Presumably Mikey's second goal was also due to a goalkeeping error as it was from a similar position? As for his distribution, a lot of the time he just has nobody looking to receive the ball.

You expect the striker to score because he should give the keeper no chance - not kick it straight at him.  Put it this way, if you were to ask Palmer "should you have saved that?" he will 100% not say "no, I had no chance".  Mikey's 2nd was hit between the keeper's legs, much harder to save but not impossible.

Look, Palmer is the best we've got, but let's not try and pretend he's some world beater and doesn't make mistakes.  He should have saved that one today - but he also made 3 brilliant saves which nobody would have blamed him for if any of them had gone in.  He more than made up for his first half performance.

There's no excuse for his distribution - it's genuinely awful and has absolutely nothing to do with nobody looking to receive the ball.  Quite often it goes straight out of play or lands 30 yards from the nearest albion player.  And that's ignoring what he's like with passing to the defence.  He doesn't sort his feet out quick enough and adjusts as he's kicking the ball - bad technique but he'll get better at it.  I'm not expecting a 100% pass rate from him, but for the love of god, try and keep it on the pitch.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #939 on: March 10, 2024, 10:39:13 PM »
You expect the striker to score because he should give the keeper no chance - not kick it straight at him.  Put it this way, if you were to ask Palmer "should you have saved that?" he will 100% not say "no, I had no chance".  Mikey's 2nd was hit between the keeper's legs, much harder to save but not impossible.

Look, Palmer is the best we've got, but let's not try and pretend he's some world beater and doesn't make mistakes.  He should have saved that one today - but he also made 3 brilliant saves which nobody would have blamed him for if any of them had gone in.  He more than made up for his first half performance.

There's no excuse for his distribution - it's genuinely awful and has absolutely nothing to do with nobody looking to receive the ball.  Quite often it goes straight out of play or lands 30 yards from the nearest albion player.  And that's ignoring what he's like with passing to the defence.  He doesn't sort his feet out quick enough and adjusts as he's kicking the ball - bad technique but he'll get better at it.  I'm not expecting a 100% pass rate from him, but for the love of god, try and keep it on the pitch.
I well remember a lot of people saying the same thing about Foster, who was probably our best keeper in the last 50 years. However, to say that about Palmer is a wild exaggeration. I'm not saying it never happens, but it certainly isn't "quite often". I often notice the opposition keepers doing it much more, and the Huddersfield keeper today was a good example. But the main reason it doesn't happen "quite often" is that most of the time he plays it short to one of the defenders or Okay - this is something that he has clearly been told to do by CC as part of the strategy of keeping possession and playing out from the back (this gives me regular palpitations, but that's for a different discussion  :))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:56:23 PM by timdon »

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #940 on: March 11, 2024, 06:48:08 AM »
Criticism comes with the job. A striker who misses a sitter and then scores two is the hero. A keeper who makes a mistake and then makes two world class saves has cost us a goal.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #941 on: March 11, 2024, 06:50:47 AM »
Alex Palmer is the best goalkeeper we’ve had since Ben Foster and far better than any other keeper at the club by a country mile.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #942 on: March 11, 2024, 01:29:59 PM »
Okay - so we've narrowed it down then.

We want a goal keeper who
- Never ever drops a clanger
- Commands his box
- Catches everything in sight
- Makes match winning saves
- Never gives the ball away

Has any one got £30m or £40m spare?

We're not going to afford anyone better than Palmer on our resources. He will make the occasional mistakes but so do most goalkeepers to be honest.

He is the very least of our problems.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #943 on: March 11, 2024, 02:28:09 PM »

- Commands his box

We're not going to afford anyone better than Palmer on our resources. He will make the occasional mistakes but so do most goalkeepers to be honest.

That criteria also rules out Ederson given his mistake at Anfield on Sunday  :D

In all seriousness it appears that 99% of the fanbase are more than happy with Palmer.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: March 11, 2024, 02:50:21 PM »

- Commands his box

You missed, pings the ball 50 yards to players feet without fail.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #945 on: March 13, 2024, 11:46:30 AM »
I well remember a lot of people saying the same thing about Foster, who was probably our best keeper in the last 50 years. However, to say that about Palmer is a wild exaggeration. I'm not saying it never happens, but it certainly isn't "quite often". I often notice the opposition keepers doing it much more, and the Huddersfield keeper today was a good example. But the main reason it doesn't happen "quite often" is that most of the time he plays it short to one of the defenders or Okay - this is something that he has clearly been told to do by CC as part of the strategy of keeping possession and playing out from the back (this gives me regular palpitations, but that's for a different discussion  :))

Huddersfield having a worse keeper than us doesn't make me feel much better.  For the record I think Palmer does a good job and is easily the best we've had in a while.  I also highly rated Foster even when he was getting abuse.

When I said "quite often" I obviously mean when he's attempting to kick it long - he'll do it several times a game.  When under pressure, or a tricky back pass, then it's absolutely fine it's not an accurate kick.  But Palmer will do it from goal kicks, freekicks and when he's had the ball at his feet for a while and is under no pressure.  There's no real excuse for it.  Look at the flack Furlong gets if he gives the ball away cheaply - Palmer booting it into the stands when it's meant to be staying in play is even worse.

And it's not about "pinging it to feet" - he's landing it 20-30 yards away from his target or straight out of play without it touching the ground.  I'd be annoyed with myself for not being more accurate than that, let alone a professional footballer! 

Or put it this way, when he boots it right out of play, Palmer won't be thinking to himself "that was alright, happy with that".

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #946 on: March 13, 2024, 12:15:58 PM »
Huddersfield having a worse keeper than us doesn't make me feel much better.  For the record I think Palmer does a good job and is easily the best we've had in a while.  I also highly rated Foster even when he was getting abuse.

When I said "quite often" I obviously mean when he's attempting to kick it long - he'll do it several times a game.  When under pressure, or a tricky back pass, then it's absolutely fine it's not an accurate kick.  But Palmer will do it from goal kicks, freekicks and when he's had the ball at his feet for a while and is under no pressure.  There's no real excuse for it.  Look at the flack Furlong gets if he gives the ball away cheaply - Palmer booting it into the stands when it's meant to be staying in play is even worse.

And it's not about "wetting it to feet" - he's landing it 20-30 yards away from his target or straight out of play without it touching the ground.  I'd be annoyed with myself for not being more accurate than that, let alone a professional footballer! 

Or put it this way, when he boots it right out of play, Palmer won't be thinking to himself "that was alright, happy with that".
Agree with all 3 points in the highlighted para. With regard to his kicking, although I'm not denying that what you say happens from time to time, I really hadn't noticed it being quite as bad as you say, but I'm not too bothered really. Mostly what I'm concerned with in a goalie is keeping the ball out of our net and he does that pretty well. Of course he can improve though and I'm sure he will with experience and some decent coaching.
Just as an aside, I'm sure I never used the phrase "wetting it to feet". What does that even mean?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 12:27:06 PM by timdon »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #947 on: March 13, 2024, 12:19:33 PM »
Agree with all 3 points in the highlighted parea. With regard to his kicking, although I'm not denying that what you say happens from time to time, I really hadn't noticed it being quite as bad as you say, but I'm not too bothered really. Mostly what I'm concerned with in a goalie is keeping the ball out of our net and he does that pretty well. Of course he can improve though and I'm sure he will with experience and some decent coaching.
Just as an aside, I'm pretty sure I never used the phrase "wetting it to feet". What does that even mean?  ;D

it's an error with the swearing filter.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #948 on: March 13, 2024, 12:31:19 PM »
That criteria also rules out Ederson given his mistake at Anfield on Sunday  :D

In all seriousness it appears that 99% of the fanbase are more than happy with Palmer.

And we are so glad to have you finally join the 99% after you labelled his wrong footed error in the Millwall game away last season  as the worst gk error of all time.

Personally, Imo he didn't deserve your very harsh criticism as he was new to the first team and had shown loyalty to the club since joining as a youth.

But, I understood why you did as those you had backed Bruce and Button had let us down so badly, but you still felt a sense of loyalty towards them.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #949 on: March 13, 2024, 05:10:17 PM »
it's an error with the swearing filter.
Hahaha, thanks for explaining. I thought I was just out of touch with modern terminology  ;D