Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 234856 times)

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #775 on: June 16, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
It doesn't work that way. Without him we will only be short on goals by as much as any replacement fails to match his goal rate. If we (purely hypothetically) signed nobody and just played Rogers up front all next season and he got 10-12 goals then you could argue we were 'technically' 8-10 goals short.

That's the big problem. Who else can we bring in who will guarantee us goals. There is not many strikers around who you can say that about.

Strikers like Che Adams at Blues have done it for one season. In this league Gayle has done it for us last season, Newcastle  and Crystal palace in previous seasons.

If we had him we would guarantee those goals for us and deprive any other championship club of the 20+ goals.

we could buy a right donkey who promises us 20 goals but will probably end up with only 5  !!!

I'm sure many names come to mind in the past for Albion fans when anyone mentions that last statement.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #776 on: June 16, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
There’s a deal to be done surely. Rondon for 12m and Gayle on loan? Newcastle to pay half of his 60k/week for the loan duration

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #777 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
That's the big problem. Who else can we bring in who will guarantee us goals. There is not many strikers around who you can say that about.

Strikers like Che Adams at Blues have done it for one season. In this league Gayle has done it for us last season, Newcastle  and Crystal palace in previous seasons.

If we had him we would guarantee those goals for us and deprive any other championship club of the 20+ goals.

we could buy a right donkey who promises us 20 goals but will probably end up with only 5  !!!

I'm sure many names come to mind in the past for Albion fans when anyone mentions that last statement.

Yes like letting Phillips go and signing Bart who didn’t even play

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #778 on: June 16, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »
Get him in, who are we going to recruit to replace his goals, and his lately found long throw-in expertise!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #779 on: June 16, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
He would still deliver 20+ goals next season. Where we going to find those goals from ?

Without him last season we would never have made the play offs !!!
Whilst I would certainly be happy to have him for another season or two, to suggest that it would be impossible to replace his goals is frankly silly. There were 8 or 9 players in the Championship alone who scored 20+ goals last season, and many more around the world. This is where a good DOF earns his dosh - find someone who we probably haven't heard of before, that can score goals at this level. A Peter Odemwingie or a young Lukaku for example. Or a Pukki, a McBurnie, or a Bowen, just to pluck 3 examples out of many.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #780 on: June 16, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
Whilst I would certainly be happy to have him for another season or two, to suggest that it would be impossible to replace his goals is frankly silly. There were 8 or 9 players in the Championship alone who scored 20+ goals last season, and many more around the world. This is where a good DOF earns his dosh - find someone who we probably haven't heard of before, that can score goals at this level. A Peter Odemwingie or a young Lukaku for example. Or a Pukki, a McBurnie, or a Bowen, just to pluck 3 examples out of many.

Its easy to say that after the season is over, but at the start of last season who would you put your money on to score 20 + goals last season, Gayle, Pukki , Mcburnie or Bowen ??

And who would you say is the best bet for 20+ goals next season ??

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #781 on: June 16, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
I think this is just another piece of lazy journalism to be honest. Slaven only got the gig the other day, so who has he said this to? The Dowling comments are known to us so put two and two together and you come up with yet another 'none' story.......
MAGA!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #782 on: June 16, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »
Nobody scored 20+ goals whilst playing several games from wide positions though.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #783 on: June 16, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
Its easy to say that after the season is over, but at the start of last season who would you put your money on to score 20 + goals last season, Gayle, Pukki , Mcburnie or Bowen ??

And who would you say is the best bet for 20+ goals next season ??
At the start of last season, I'd have put my money on Gayle because he was proven at this level and I knew little of the other 3 I mentioned. But the bet would have been poor value because Gayle was only around 10/1 to be top scorer and the others were all over 50/1. However, this isn't the point I was making. You were suggesting that we wouldn't be able to replace his goals, but it is the job of the DOF to find the solution to that problem, and hopefully he is much better at doing so than you or I. I like Gayle but he is certainly not irreplaceable.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #784 on: June 16, 2019, 02:52:17 PM »
Nobody scored 20+ goals whilst playing several games from wide positions though.

Bowen did whilst playing every single game on the wing. I’d love Gayle back but it’s not impossible to find a 20 goal Championship striker. If we can get one in who is younger than Gayle then it would be a massive bonus.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #785 on: June 16, 2019, 02:55:03 PM »
WBA_1996 beat me to it and he is right. The other point I would make is that none of the others were on 50k + a week, so there is a question of value for money as well

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #786 on: June 16, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
WBA_1996 beat me to it and he is right. The other point I would make is that none of the others were on 50k + a week, so there is a question of value for money as well

I'm not too sure we fans need to even mention money.  That is for the board to worry about.

I don't give a damn about money.  I pay for my season ticket so I expect goals and wins. Do you really think our season ticket is good value for money when we don't score goals but we are paying a striker £10k a week !!

And as for replacing Gayle with a younger player who will guarantee 20+ goals next season.........  good luck with that.  Don't you think that's what all the championship sides are after ?

I remember Man Utd buying Van Persie for £25 Million when he was over 30 and many so called pundits said it was bad business , but his goals helped deliver the title for them in his 1st season.

If this time next season  we are looking forward to competing in the premier league after winning the championship and Gayle had scored 20+ goals , i wonder how many Albion fans will be moaning about his wages or how old he is ???

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #787 on: June 16, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
Do you realise that Gayle had the best goals to mins ratio in the division?  He missed quite a few games while other strikers played almost every game.  It is not easy to pluck a 20+ goal a season player from obscurity.

We simply have to take the money for Rondon and get Gayle back for 1 year.

I mean how much are we spending to retain Brunt again?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #788 on: June 16, 2019, 03:18:18 PM »
Anyone who doesn’t want to sign Gayle back should see their GP and shrink immediately. Best striker in this league bar none. The fantasy that we can buy an unknown from abroad and find a goal machine is just that. An Odemwingie or Pukki turn up once a decade. Any one with calibre at this level, like Maupay would be just as expensive or more expensive than Gayle. This whole debate is ridiculous, just goes to show how small time a section of our fan base is. 

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #789 on: June 16, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »
I'm not too sure we fans need to even mention money.  That is for the board to worry about.

I don't give a damn about money.  I pay for my season ticket so I expect goals and wins. Do you really think our season ticket is good value for money when we don't score goals but we are paying a striker £10k a week !!

And as for replacing Gayle with a younger player who will guarantee 20+ goals next season.........  good luck with that.  Don't you think that's what all the championship sides are after ?

I remember Man Utd buying Van Persie for £25 Million when he was over 30 and many so called pundits said it was bad business , but his goals helped deliver the title for them in his 1st season.

If this time next season  we are looking forward to competing in the premier league after winning the championship and Gayle had scored 20+ goals , i wonder how many Albion fans will be moaning about his wages or how old he is ???
Plenty I would imagine. We would now have a striker on very high wages who has never been very successful in the Premier League and is aged over 30 and counting.
You seem to think Gayle is some sort of miracle man who can't be replaced. He isn't and he can.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #790 on: June 16, 2019, 03:20:32 PM »
Do you realise that Gayle had the best goals to mins ratio in the division?  He missed quite a few games while other strikers played almost every game.  It is not easy to pluck a 20+ goal a season player from obscurity.

We simply have to take the money for Rondon and get Gayle back for 1 year.

I mean how much are we spending to retain Brunt again?

Thank you for reminding me that some of our fans are still sane, I completely agree with you.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #791 on: June 16, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »
Thank you for reminding me that some of our fans are still sane, I completely agree with you.
Ah, so anyone who agrees with you is sane, and anyone who doesn't is completely bonkers? Mmmm.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #792 on: June 16, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
Plenty I would imagine. We would now have a striker on very high wages who has never been very successful in the Premier League and is aged over 30 and counting.
You seem to think Gayle is some sort of miracle man who can't be replaced. He isn't and he can.

I remember back in 2007/08 when we won the championship title, we had a player called Kevin Phillips playing for us at the age of 34. He scored 24 goals for us that season after being out injured a fair few weeks.

The next season we didn't offer him a good enough contract so he went to Blues. I remember a lot of Albion fans moaning about that decision.

I really can't understand why you dislike the idea of us signing a Gayle !!! :o

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: June 16, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
One other small thing, which has been stated before, he is currently 28 years old. He was born on 17 October 1990.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: June 16, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Just had a look on Wikipedia regarding his Appearances to goals ratio in the Championship and he's played 104 times and scored 60 goals. Yeah he is on £55k a week but in my opinion worth every penny.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #795 on: June 16, 2019, 03:41:17 PM »
I remember back in 2007/08 when we won the championship title, we had a player called Kevin Phillips playing for us at the age of 34. He scored 24 goals for us that season after being out injured a fair few weeks.

The next season we didn't offer him a good enough contract so he went to Blues. I remember a lot of Albion fans moaning about that decision.

I really can't understand why you dislike the idea of us signing a Gayle !!! :o
Read my posts again and you will see that I don't. I would love him to come back next year. It is very unlikely though. And the world (nor the Albion) won't end if he doesn't.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: June 16, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
Just had a look on Wikipedia regarding his Appearances to goals ratio in the Championship and he's played 104 times and scored 60 goals. Yeah he is on £55k a week but in my opinion worth every penny.
Maybe so, but we are looking to build a new team and can't afford to pay one player that much in the Championship. That seems to be the club's position anyway, in which case this is a pointless discussion.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #797 on: June 16, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
But we can afford pay a non entity like HRK a reputed £40k per week.  Its ok because he was a free transfer, never mind the fact he's not very good.

The release of Barry and Morrison will savd us money and we should be looking to cash in on Dawson.  Rondon will obviously go.

I think it's more a question of making him the highest paid player and upsetting the applecart on team spirit rather than whether we can physically afford it.

More kids should be integrated being 1 year old older e.g. Edwards.  These players are "free".

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: June 16, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
Maybe so, but we are looking to build a new team and can't afford to pay one player that much in the Championship. That seems to be the club's position anyway, in which case this is a pointless discussion.

Sorry for having an opinion that you dont agree with. It's a forum mate.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #799 on: June 16, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
One other small thing, which has been stated before, he is currently 28 years old. He was born on 17 October 1990.

Thought it was 1989?? That’s what his wiki says anyway
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts