Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 718371 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2025 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
Why do we always go for out of work managers? There is a reason why they are out of work.
Last season we could/should have gone for Dean Smith, Graham Potter or Lee Johnson, but we went for big hearted nice but dim Darren Moore, because we didn't want to be accused of being racist, which we were anyway.
You make your bed, you lie in it.

Got any evidence of that?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2026 on: May 15, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
I’d be seriously tempted by Vieira if he’s interested.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2027 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
John Percy reports that the Club will be holding talks with Hughton next week..

Good, no time to lose and I think the fans won't accept another close season of faffing

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2028 on: May 15, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
For me, Hughton is another one in the mould of Pulis/Bruce et al - maybe good for getting a possible promotion but the football is pretty ugly and honestly I don't think his style is too dissimilar to that of Pulis at all.

I suppose it shows a bit of ambition though compared to someone like Appleton where Hughton would be on much bigger wages, which hopefully would set the tone for our transfers/spending too - as opposed to a season of bargain basement signings.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2029 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »
For me, Hughton is another one in the mould of Pulis/Bruce et al - maybe good for getting a possible promotion but the football is pretty ugly and honestly I don't think his style is too dissimilar to that of Pulis at all.

I suppose it shows a bit of ambition though compared to someone like Appleton where Hughton would be on much bigger wages, which hopefully would set the tone for our transfers/spending too - as opposed to a season of bargain basement signings.
It's another boring candidate. Not for me thanks
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2030 on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
What exactly is Dowling supposed to have done by now which would be remotely visible to any of us?  Scouting and drawing up a target list and there is no doubt that he will have done that, but how far can he go until we appoint our new manager and until we know who we can sell and at what price?
How about being without a manager since early Febuary for a starter ? , they knew Moore was struggling for months before he got sacked.
Unless I'm wrong that is part of his job.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2031 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
My own reasons for doubting Dowling are down to the Jan transfer window (his 1st in charge of the club) and his handling of our managerial situation.

In Jan, he failed to replace Barnes which was always key and failed to bring in another forward (which ultimately did for us in the play offs). He made the Holgate signing early (and he performed ok) but his following 3 signings were all below average (i'd still be tempted to say Johansson was disappointing, despite eventually having some limited impact).

He then sacked Moore and didn't have any plan to replace him in what was poorly handled situation.

He may come good, but the early signs worry me.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2032 on: May 15, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
I didn't think about the Hughton-Rodriguez point. Bit of a concern really as J-Rod may have been one of pur easier players to keep. Would expect us to sell if Hughton comes in.
Boing Boing

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2033 on: May 15, 2019, 02:56:48 PM »
Unfortunatley, I have little confidence that we will appoint the right person due to who is currently calling the shots.

One of two things will happen. We will appoint a low wage type coach Appleton, McInnes (who we would not even consider had he not previously played for us).

Or we will be linked with lots of interesting names (Vieira being one example), we will take too long in getting them in and we will panic and end up with someone like Fat Sam.

It's the Albion way.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2035 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
My own reasons for doubting Dowling are down to the Jan transfer window (his 1st in charge of the club) and his handling of our managerial situation.

In Jan, he failed to replace Barnes which was always key and failed to bring in another forward (which ultimately did for us in the play offs). He made the Holgate signing early (and he performed ok) but his following 3 signings were all below average (i'd still be tempted to say Johansson was disappointing, despite eventually having some limited impact).

He then sacked Moore and didn't have any plan to replace him in what was poorly handled situation.

He may come good, but the early signs worry me.

Whilst I agree with parts of your post, yes we failed to replaces Barnes' contribution, but we didn't fail to replace Barnes in terms of players. We brought in Murphy and Montero - many fans included myself were excited by those signings as on paper they looked as though they would offer us something going forward and between them could have potentially filled the void left by Barnes.

It's easy to look back now and criticise the recruitment, but at the time, Montero and Murphy were seen as decent enough signings.

Now is the time he has to show us what he's about - its a huge summer for us, but I also remember saying that last season and we somehow managed to just paper over cracks and avoid doing the necessary rebuild the club needs.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2036 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Viera is a very interesting one. You'd hope he'd get rid our all of our midfielders and start again!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2037 on: May 15, 2019, 03:47:50 PM »
Despite serious backing at NYCFC, Viera didn't do much.
He'd be a good player to attract other players, but with the money we'll (not) have, that will be difficult. I'm not particularly enthralled by the prospect of him. Not Hughton either. His signings are sketchy and with a team rebuild on the cards, again I am unconvinced.

Casting my eyes over the foreign clubs, Dieter Hacking of Borussia Mönchengladbach, just finished fourth in the bundesliga. Goal Difference is only +15 however, so I'd assume not a particularly attacking manager. The club have confirmed he's not staying past this season, so no money to pay. Any German fans care to comment on him? 

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2038 on: May 15, 2019, 03:58:44 PM »
Chris Coleman has been sacked from his job in China , just chucking another name that is unattached into the ring  !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2039 on: May 15, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
Chris Coleman has been sacked from his job in China , just chucking another name that is unattached into the ring  !

Hopefully he'll stay there

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2040 on: May 15, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
As with many fans, I want to see the next manager have/be:

1) No Prior connection to the club. I want somebody to come in to overhaul the squad with no allegiance to the old boys etc.

2) Forward thinking, I'm not expecting Guardiola but we should still ope for reasonably attractive football. As the squad should be overhauled, the manager should be able to bring in players able to play to their style.

3) Appointed urgently - sooner they can review the squad and start the process of replacements the better.

4) Be hungry to achieve, not a manager from the merry go-round. I would be happy with someone who has managed in league 1/2 with success.

Although this is the Albion so fully expect Appleton to be in charge come start of the season...

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2041 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
I didn't think about the Hughton-Rodriguez point. Bit of a concern really as J-Rod may have been one of pur easier players to keep. Would expect us to sell if Hughton comes in.

People are reading far too much into that.  It was inevitable there he would defend his own player (employee) and take his word.  Any manager worth his salt would do that, unless he knew that his own player was lying.  How could he possibly have done anything else?

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2042 on: May 15, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
No thank you to Hughton, another unimaginative and predictable choice by the club with no compensation to pay and having a pretty dull playing style which seem to fit the bill with our hierarchy.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2043 on: May 15, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
No thank you to Hughton, another unimaginative and predictable choice by the club with no compensation to pay and having a pretty dull playing style which seem to fit the bill with our hierarchy.

Given our overwhelming wealth, I agree that we must pay compensation for our next manager.

Does not matter that he's got a brilliant track record at this level. Maybe, bha can give him his job back and we can then pay compo to get him, then we'll all be happy as it is exceptional ambition.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2044 on: May 15, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Got any evidence of that?

Just the likes of Jason Roberts and Sol Campbell to name a couple saying if Moore didn't get the job Albion would be seen as racist.
I knew he wasn't up to it, but we still got called a racist club when we sacked him.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2045 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
Hughton imo is the glaringly obvious choice now, but I fully expect Jenkins to dither and boro to sack to and then sneak in and get him as Gibson is a man who loves his club and has ambitions to get up there quickly.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2046 on: May 15, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »
Keep seeing the criticisms of Hughton's style.

He's pragmatic, gets results and has two promotions to his name in this division - his sides scored 90 and 74 goals in those seasons so hardly uninspiring.

We have tried prating around playing nice football in this division - we couldn't. We finished 4th.

Given the overhaul this playing squad requires, I would prefer it to happen with a relatively safe pair of hands in charge.

I personally cannot see a better candidate..

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2047 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
The powers that be are most unlikely to take any notice of our thoughts but you never know with a groundswell of opinion.
We don't want any of the likes such as Hughton,Allerdyce,Hughes,Rowett,Lambert,Bruce,Mccarthy lets use some lateral thinking and go for a young up and coming manager who has not been sacked.

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2048 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
I can only put the sudden defensive resolution and organisation in the 2 Villa games down to the more experienced people we brought in. It suggests that with an experienced manager such as Hughton for the whole season there is a good chance we would have gone up - the board made a huge error. We need to get the experienced manager in quickly and hope we still have enough of the squad left next season to give us a chance.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2049 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:26 PM »
I have been interested in Hughton as a manager before, however it would spell the end for JRod surely, plus he was unfairly smearing our supporters after the cup game at ou place too.