Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767094 times)

addy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »
Cant get any better confirmation than Hodgson this morning (our time) saying we are interested, just a case of waiting and seeing now.

j_dog_1980

« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »
Would be happy with that deal tbh!

I personnaly I think we'll sign permantly for about 4/5 million maybe with add ons! Just have a sneaky little feeling!

And NO i'm not ITK before i get asked!  ;D

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know what football team he supports?

Considering he was born in Leamington Spa I thought he may of supported a midlands club. Probably a United fan though  ::)

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know what football team he supports?

Considering he was born in Leamington Spa I thought he may of supported a midlands club. Probably a United fan though  ::)

Walsall

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
Walsall

Certainly not a glory hunter then  ;D

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
Certainly not a glory hunter then  ;D

I don't know who he supports really lol Would be funny if it was though and snubbed us and Swansea for a shot at the League One title

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
I don't know who he supports really lol Would be funny if it was though and snubbed us and Swansea for a shot at the League One title

He could probably play as a striker for Walsall and be their best player. ;D

PortsmouthBaggie

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »

League 1 title? More chance of them having a pop at the League 2 title the season after :P

I really hope this moves along now. Foster, I think in most peoples opinions would be pretty much the perfect keeper for us right now and certainly the best that's available.
I think if we have any ambition to really progress and try and match last seasons achievements players like this have to be bought in even if it means we break our transfer record on a keeper. I'm all for the nobody signings coming in because I fully trust in our scouting network and why wouldn't anyone with some of the no name players that have blossomed here, but I think some solid names have to be thrown in with them and surely the likes of Ashworth and Peace know this and can see what Foster would bring. IMO probably the most important signing of the summer as I believe we do have enough in every department to stay up, even the defence with Foster shouting behind them and coming for crosses(not a dig at Carson ::))

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
Good news if we can get him in. Seems it is on the cards though.
Boing Boing

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
I really hope this moves along now. Foster, I think in most peoples opinions would be pretty much the perfect keeper for us right now and certainly the best that's available.

Not sure about that, I'd say the perfect keeper would be someone who is proven at the level we wish to achieve (mid-table), while Foster has only had two seasons with relegated clubs.

Also is he commanding, reliable etc.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
He's certainly a reliable keeper, much better than what we have or what we have recently had. Is he commanding? Not as much as people would like but there are very few goalkeepers around that bother to come off their line these days, it must be something to do with modern day coaching techniques as the position has evolved.

jjb0rdell0

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: July 21, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
Not sure about that, I'd say the perfect keeper would be someone who is proven at the level we wish to achieve (mid-table), while Foster has only had two seasons with relegated clubs.

Also is he commanding, reliable etc.

I think, without Foster, Blues would have failed a lot harder last season without him (at least, in my opinion)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #412 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
I hope it is a permanent deal rather than a loan I would hate to have him just for a season but if it is dependent on Blues coming back up we have a fighting chance of it turning permanent.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #413 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
Why would he go to Arsenal over us if he wants to stay in the Midlands and he'll be getting exactly the same wages because we are paying his wages for Birmingham City...

What!?!?! A chance to join a top four club alone, forget wages and location, will be more than enough to persuade him to join Arsenal. Doubt there in for him though.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #414 on: July 21, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »
When did hodgeson confirm our interest?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #415 on: July 21, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
When did hodgeson confirm our interest?

From the Express & Dingle today mate:

Hodgson said: “I am aware of our interest in Ben Foster but I am not aware of how far down the line we are with our negotiations with Birmingham, so I can’t make any comments on that.

“But Ben Foster is a goalkeeper who interests us and, if we can get him to West Bromwich Albion on loan or on a permanent deal, that would be something we would be very happy about.”

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #416 on: July 21, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »
Fourth Official
West Brom are moving fast to seal a deal for Ben Foster after having a bid for Robert Green rejected #WBA
30 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

That is from a usually very reliable twitter poster.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #417 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:24 PM »
The bloke who is covering Albion for the Brum Mail while CL is off says nothing is imminent, I'm assuming on any score.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #418 on: July 21, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
Just caught up on newsnow. Seems like something we need to move fast on
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #419 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
Just caught up on newsnow. Seems like something we need to move fast on

Depends if everything on newsnow is accurate or not.

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #420 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »
The bloke who is covering Albion for the Brum Mail while CL is off says nothing is imminent, I'm assuming on any score.

to be fair BH he doesn't seem to be as well informed to me could be wrong though i could

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #421 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
You could be right to be to be fair as it isn't his usual job, wouldn't have the contacts someone like CL has put together over the years.

Could be an interesting period with Hodgson returning from the USA soon.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoDJlH49gM 5:15 is where Hodgson talks about Foster if anyone is interested,  source of express and star quotes.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
You could be right to be to be fair as it isn't his usual job, wouldn't have the contacts someone like CL has put together over the years.

Could be an interesting period with Hodgson returning from the USA soon.

Think you're right about an interesting week or two coming up. But regarding CL and his replacement, has he ever broken any news that amazed us ie. something that we weren't aware of as a likelyhood of happening? I'm not knocking, I'm just saying we play our cards very close to our chests when it comes to transfers. To be honest it must be a thankless task being the baggies correspondant for a local rag!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:35:30 PM by Londonbaggymike »

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #424 on: July 21, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
text from one of the players saying Roy on fone constant.  2 deals very close but nothing until he returns. New GK over 7 - 10 days.  Foster main target and has always been.  Blues looking silly money initiallly   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:00:45 AM by Political Cake »