Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 472695 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »
You missed the other bit, which is when we are lucky to get the best players we sell them on at 50% of their value in murky deals. Every month that goes buy under this set-up and I fear we are becoming more like Birmingham City.

I don't agree with you by the way that this is a three year transition. In that case we should have kept Bilic and made that decision a year ago. Fact is, we have one season, two max before we run out of parachute payments, at which point we will sink into championship oblivion. So it's get back up asap or get ready for 10-15 years at this level, watching other relegated clubs come down, keep their best players and doing a Norwich / Watford every season.

VI may have a long contract, but we haven't got time for project. He needs to get us up and should be knocking on Ken's for demanding money to bring better players in.
He can knock on Ken’s door all he wants but if we’ve no money in the kitty he isn’t going to get any! And if we have money in the kitty I’ve grave doubts as to whether he’d get it all !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I never believed the two year plan bs. Just like I don’t believe the words from VI’s mouth mean we aren’t working on deals.

It’s all about managing expectations and man management. What go does it do for VI to publically say he needs players then ask those here to run through walls for him.
Here's what was in the E&S yesterday, also reported in the Mail and elsewhere:

"Valerien Ismael says Albion are working on potential signings – with the boss expecting the transfer market to pick up next week. The Baggies are known to be on the hunt for a striker before the transfer window closes. Orlando’s Daryl Dike and Man City’s Liam Delap are two players under consideration, the Express & Star understands. But the squad also looks light in other areas with some fans concerned about Ismael’s options in central midfield.

The Frenchman - who has remained calm throughout the window - has insisted he won’t rush into any signings. But he revealed Albion are working on deals ahead of the window closing on August 31.

'We have two weeks until the end of the transfer period' the boss said. 'That is a long, long, time. For sure, from next week everything will go quicker and faster. But at the minute nothing has changed. We are aware of the market. We know exactly what we need. But we need to make sure it is the right decision for us. If we get that feeling it is the right decision, based on the analysis of the last two games, then we will make it happen.

At the minute I am calm because I know exactly what is happening behind the scenes. We are working on the list of players and we will see what we can do'”.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2021, 09:48:15 AM »
Seems calm, professional even. It's almost as though he does this for a living and has a part to play in an ongoing process. Hopefully we're looking at quality additions in the near future.

If not though I'd love to see the look on Ken's face when there's a knock on the door the day after the window closes, there's no quality additions, and Valérien walks through the door without having opened it first  ;D .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:59:34 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
He can knock on Ken’s door all he wants but if we’ve no money in the kitty he isn’t going to get any! And if we have money in the kitty I’ve grave doubts as to whether he’d get it all !
just sold Pereira for £17.2 million and got rid of most of our high earners so club should have money to spend.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2021, 01:22:30 PM »
Seems calm, professional even. It's almost as though he does this for a living and has a part to play in an ongoing process. Hopefully we're looking at quality additions in the near future.

Agree entirely. The strange think is how many people do this for a living and don’t act this way in public.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »
just sold Pereira for £17.2 million and got rid of most of our high earners so club should have money to spend.

We have to remember our income has reduced significantly as well. Also, we may have made a profit on selling Pereira but we will have cash obligations to pay for transfers agreed on deferred terms in the past. I imagine we’re still paying for Grant, Diangana, Zohore, Sawyers etc.

In addition to this - as long as we were comfortable with the liquidity risk of Al Hilal - we will be receiving the Pereira fee in instalments too.

So whilst in terms of FFP we might have lots of headroom in cash terms we might not have a pot to **** in.

I would argue that it might be quite sensible in the current environment to ensure the club is financially sound and not to overstretch ourselves. You can come back at me with the golden paradise of the PL but remember the minute we get promoted that PL money is spoken for - there’s never anything left at the end.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:40:53 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2021, 05:27:17 PM »
We have to remember our income has reduced significantly as well. Also, we may have made a profit on selling Pereira but we will have cash obligations to pay for transfers agreed on deferred terms in the past. I imagine we’re still paying for Grant, Diangana, Zohore, Sawyers etc.

In addition to this - as long as we were comfortable with the liquidity risk of Al Hilal - we will be receiving the Pereira fee in instalments too.

So whilst in terms of FFP we might have lots of headroom in cash terms we might not have a pot to p*ss in.
Any transfer fees we pay are likely to be in installments too, unless they're very small, so it's not a one-way street in that regard. Also, you never know but the review panel might deign to give us some money for Ferguson before hell freezes over!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
Happy to be proven otherwise, but I was under the impression that these days, a lot of clubs use intermediary sports banks so that the selling club has access to the funds more quickly.

E.g. WBA sells Pereira to Al Hilal for £17m, spread across 3 payments.

WBA approaches Sports Bank and says "We have guaranteed income for £17m over the next X months/years, so can you give us a loan for that £17m?

Obviously there may be then interest on that loan, so you'd end up losing money overall, but it would give you accessss to the funds straight away.

Fairly sure this is a thing that happens. Not sure if it applies in this case.

Anyway, getting away from VI. I like his together was and prioritising the team over the individual.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2021, 12:40:45 AM »
Any transfer fees we pay are likely to be in installments too, unless they're very small, so it's not a one-way street in that regard. Also, you never know but the review panel might deign to give us some money for Ferguson before hell freezes over!

I guess it just comes down to the risk appetite of the board and how much they want to leverage the club. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get 3 loan signings in and then see if we need to strengthen in January.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »
really loving this bloke so far, his passion, interaction with the fans and his style is so exciting.

Best league in the world for excitement as usual, i love the Albion again.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2021, 10:48:38 AM »
really loving this bloke so far, his passion, interaction with the fans and his style is so exciting.

Best league in the world for excitement as usual, i love the Albion again.

I think it is too. Premiership is way too cagey for my liking, even when we do ok. All the same, can't wait to go up...  :-\
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2021, 08:57:23 AM »
With Sawyers gone some lad asked Nixon if we are looking for replacement he seems to think not as Val is impressed with a couple of youngsters for midfield positions. I’m happy with that but hope we can get striker in.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: August 21, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
With Sawyers gone some lad asked Nixon if we are looking for replacement he seems to think not as Val is impressed with a couple of youngsters for midfield positions. I’m happy with that but hope we can get striker in.

I’ve seen O’Shea and Ajayi mentioned for midfield slots. Let’s face it in this system you don’t need much technical ability. Kick it forward and chase it down.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #413 on: August 21, 2021, 09:56:17 AM »
I’ve seen O’Shea and Ajayi mentioned for midfield slots.
I can't see that working but, if they're playing there, the depth we have in central defence is diminished. A player having to cover multiple positions is undesirable in such an intense style of play, proper squad depth is needed otherwise we'll find ourselves coming up well short before very long as tiredness, suspensions and injuries inevitably occur.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2021, 10:33:21 AM »
I’ve seen O’Shea and Ajayi mentioned for midfield slots. Let’s face it in this system you don’t need much technical ability. Kick it forward and chase it down.

I disagree with that. Of course that's part of the strategy but then you need the likes of Mowatt and Livermore to control the ball and play good balls further up the pitch in attack. Those two are levels ahead of O'Shea and Ajayi in that area, especially Mowatt.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #415 on: August 21, 2021, 12:43:52 PM »
I can't see that working but, if they're playing there, the depth we have in central defence is diminished. A player having to cover multiple positions is undesirable in such an intense style of play, proper squad depth is needed otherwise we'll find ourselves coming up well short before very long as tiredness, suspensions and injuries inevitably occur.

Unless you have several players who can play both at the back and as defensive midfielders.  Then you have depth, more options and flexibility of formation
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: August 21, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »
I think there's a danger of expecting that running power and stamina will be enough. I will add to that scoring from set pieces. We also need to score by creating chances by good wing play,  from through balls and little give and goes around the penalty box. To do that you need skilful players with a good first touch, and ability to work the ball in tight spaces.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »
A breath of fresh air! What a difference a couple of months makes. From the mess of the summer (Wilder, Wagner, Dowling etc) to now is quite something. It's early days and we shouldn't get carried away but Val has made his mark.
One thing I really admire is his obvious desire to coach and make players better. Bar Clarke and Mowatt these are the same players that seemed so flat last season. To instill such a hunger and desire is impressive. Watching Phillips (in the first half) press and chase and his run to get onto Grants cross was to watch a different player.
Great start Val.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #418 on: August 24, 2021, 08:56:00 AM »
I flipping love Val, to turn us around in such a short space of time after the misery of last season and the general malaise about the place takes something special.

We actually have an identity, we attack teams, we impose our style on them, we try to score goals! Love it. It looks like the players love it too.

Astle is the King

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #419 on: August 24, 2021, 09:18:52 AM »
I flipping love Val, to turn us around in such a short space of time after the misery of last season and the general malaise about the place takes something special.

We actually have an identity, we attack teams, we impose our style on them, we try to score goals! Love it. It looks like the players love it too.
Early days but I think we have a gem in Val he has revived my interest in the team just when I had nearly got over the addiction!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: August 24, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
He's a joy to have at the helm.

Hope it builds and builds and we don't lose him to a big six side until we are seventh in the Prem.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #421 on: August 24, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »
In todays press conference VI has said Clarke is out for 6 weeks and 2 players are out as they have covid.

Joe Chapman

"It's six weeks for Matt Clarke, Val has confirmed today. On top of that, two #wba first team players are isolating having tested positive for COVID. Full story to follow."

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
Sign some players, chaps. We are threadbare enough as it is without the Clarke injury and a Covid outbreak

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2021, 01:47:19 PM »
Thats 3 first teamers out for the Posh game. Let's see what happens.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »
In todays press conference VI has said Clarke is out for 6 weeks and 2 players are out as they have covid.

Joe Chapman

"It's six weeks for Matt Clarke, Val has confirmed today. On top of that, two #wba first team players are isolating having tested positive for COVID. Full story to follow."

Worrying that we are three players down.

We don't have the squad depth for a covid outbreak !
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom