Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 637100 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #2050 on: January 30, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Just been on a Sunderland message board.Not chatting about Odemwonga as of yet
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2051 on: January 30, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
A curious report in The Times today (11/01/12).
QPR have been offered Odemwinge, who is surplus to requirements at WBA.

The first post on this topic a year ago
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

DevonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2052 on: January 30, 2013, 05:36:40 PM »
And yet another January the club will make a profit on player sales. If/when PO is sold that means we will have taken depending on what we sell him for we could be up by around 7-9 million with the other outs and with EL G now gone and Gera out for the rest of the season.
We really need some fresh faces to lift the team.
Im sorry to rant but this window just seems another waste where we could have pushed on and succured a good place in the league maybe pushed for europe.
But now what we will have is a gaping hole to fill in the summer instead of intergrating some players into the team now.

Trust me mate, after the season Newcastle are having, I'd rather not have Europe.
Boing Boing!
Bye Bye Wo1ve5s

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2053 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
Some of the speculation of Odemwingies worth is really way off, IF he goes (& I hope he does personally) anything over 5 million will be a massive bonus, no club (even a little tinpot one with more money then sense) starts with a bid of 2 million if in fact they're going to offer 8/9 million on the last day.

My offer to twitchy would be give us 4 million + Hoilett & you can have the pleasure of PO for a couple of months.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have 1 or 2 little irons in other fires, especially with El G being allowed to leave.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2054 on: January 30, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »
I just think the whole cant be in the league and in Europe is a psychological thing. Newcastle had a good squad, so whats the difference. Why cant you have both? Whats the difference between playing Thursday - Sunday than playing on a Wednesday night and a Saturdat?

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2055 on: January 30, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
Trust me mate, after the season Newcastle are having, I'd rather not have Europe.

Exactly, since 'we don't do business in January' (or have an extra £25-30 million in cash lying around to save our season) Europe = relegation battle we'd be lucky to escape.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2056 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
Exactly, since 'we don't do business in January' (or have an extra £25-30 million in cash lying around to save our season) Europe = relegation battle we'd be lucky to escape.

But you know our lot, competing in Europe but facing a relegation battle is some people's idea of ambition. We're a well run, take-your-time-and-do-things-right club who can't pour money down the drain and punch above our weight.

Looking at the Europa League, approached correctly, when a club is ready, you can do VERY well. Look at Fulham, and even Stoke and Birmingham got some results out there last season. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I'd rather take 10 years to slowly get ourselves good enough to compete on two fronts than have an amazing season and pay for it the next.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2057 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
Anyone who thinks a 32 yr old Pete is worth £8,9,10m is on crack. If we spent £10m on a 32 yr old I can just imagine the backlash. Give us £3-4m and I would drive him there myself.
Gera, Gera, Gera

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2058 on: January 30, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
Very true, once we have a solid, professional squad that doesn't smack of the championship as soon as you scratch the surface I will happily campaign in Europe.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2059 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
Well said Baggie79! I can see us getting £5m maximum, he is a 32 year old diva who has scored goals but also plays well 1 in every 4, no coincidence no top clubs have come in for him now, or ever have done during his career.

He has been good for Albion and will always appreciate that but he isnt a first team regular, he is an idiot and he brings baggage, any club looking to put in a bid will put all those things into consideration. I would imagine QPR have learnt there lessons from past years and wont pay stupid transfer fees for 30 plus yr olds, and i think football has moved on from when we got big fees for the Kamaras, Koumas, etc.

For a bloke who i feel we have had seen his best days, doesnt want to play for us anymore and probably will offer nothing for the rest of the season if he did stay due to his all about me attitude, i would sell £4-5m for business reasons, but the annoyed side of me still wants us to demand stupid money of £7-£8m, price him out of a move, make him stay and face the music and show petulant little brats dont always get there own way.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2060 on: January 30, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
If you want to strip it right down would you rather us gain £4m in transfer fees or lose £2m in wages?
Gera, Gera, Gera

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2061 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
If you want to strip it right down would you rather us gain £4m in transfer fees or lose £2m in wages?

Depends whom that money benefits !  Would it ever be reinvested in a quality replacement ?
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2062 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
Depends whom that money benefits !  Would it ever be reinvested in a quality replacement ?

We can buy the same player for £5m now or £2m in the summer. Should we waste money just for the sake of being impatient?
Gera, Gera, Gera

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2063 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
Read it again!
I said 'he seemed a bit miffed' refering to his general tone in the press conference.
Refering to  the club as 'them' and 'they' suggest two different trails of thought within the camp.
Try reading the text, not between the lines

Whatever it is you’re seeing in his tone, is pure guesswork. Newspapers love a story about a club board and a manager having problems, it doesn’t need our own fans trying to stir up trouble. 

“He returned home yesterday and we gave him another day off today just to make sure everything is okay at home.

“QPR have put two bids in for Peter. The club have looked at them and turned them down, feeling that at this time, in this window, the bids weren’t acceptable for us.

“We can certainly keep Peter because if QPR don’t come up with an offer that is acceptable, you can’t just let a player go.

“That’s unfortunate for us, unfortunate for QPR and unfortunate for Peter, because now we have a situation that has developed over the last few days that is not good for anybody.”

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/odemwingie-misses-everton-trip-627103.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2064 on: January 30, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
Have to get at least eight million for the greedy sod if twitcher wants him so bad then there's  the price were in a relatively  save place should stay up twitchers lot are bottom of the league trying to survive with money to burn so let's take them for a few quid (if they survive its only because they broke the bank not like when we survived)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2065 on: January 30, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »
For me if you look at the long term we should sell him now at an inflated price, keep the cash and then reinvest in the summer when really good deals are available and we could get two or three players for the price of one rush deal now when we are safe already. Also I would prefer to leave Europe until we have the squad to cope with it.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2066 on: January 30, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
It depends how much money we get for him baggie79.

At the moment he is a very important member of the team. Yes in the summer we may well have sold him but I still think we could have got 2 million plus for him then so I dont see the logic in selling for any fee even close to that in January really - you may as well have kept him for the rest of the season if you cant get an inflated price.

His twitter out bursts and his desperate attempt to push through a sale these last few weeks have changed things a bit and maybe pushed the asking price down from 5 million to closer 4 but surely we have to set an example, firstly to our current players than we can not be bullied, and also to other clubs that we will not sell cheaply whatever games you play.

If we can not sell him this January, we will still get 2-2.5 million for him in the summer from one of the promoted clubs desperate for goals to keep them up for a year, or even from a team from abroad.  It wont be the amount we could get now but for the sake of 1 million, if QPR do only offer 3 - 3.5 million, then I would rather take the financial hit if it means sending a message out to players and clubs alike.

For me, we should be looking for in the region of 4 to 5 million (realistically 4.2 million), although i'm starting to believe we will probably accept 3.5 which I don't think is enough.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2067 on: January 30, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
Just listening to Steve Clarke on WM being interviewed on WM re Odemwingie, I thought he handled the questions very well making it  clear that Odemwingie was in the wrong but not shutting the door on his return. Plainly if QPR leave Odemwingie hanging in the wind which is starting to look likely Clarke intends to a least try to get something from him over the remainder of the season.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2068 on: January 30, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
Memo to PO Suarez starting on the l/h side for Liverpool,is influencing the game but my sources understand DOESN´T want to join QPR!!!! ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2069 on: January 30, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
Badly missed tonight for what it's worth  :-X
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2070 on: January 30, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
Badly missed tonight for what it's worth  :-X
Not in this very stale system!, not sure if even a tuned in Pete could help that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2071 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »
Not in this very stale system!, not sure if even a tuned in Pete could help that.

We were toothless mate, and Dorrans who played in his likely position was garbage.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2072 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »
We were toothless mate, and Dorrans who played in his likely position was garbage.
I wouldn't have said Dorrans was garbage , thats harsh. Lets be honest Pete wouldn't have been much better against Baines and Pienarr as he most likely would have been pinned in.Too many players out of position in a stale, toothless system.If we don't replace Pete and he leaves the club serious questions need to be asked.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2073 on: January 30, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
From what Clarke says, there doesn't seem to be a lot of movement in the deal.

As much as all he has done has annoyed and offended me(I know it hasn't for some others, personal view!), his ability is something we will sorely miss.

If he is here, bridges need to be re-built because we can't have a player as good as him in the reserves.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2074 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »

Jacko in shock Odemwingie praise/Dorrans criticism.

Dorrans wasn't garbage, although he isn't really the answer out wide being better in the centre of midfield. We may have missed Odemwingie but we also missed Gera as they were out best 2 wide men, but I think the greater loss was that of the Mulumbu/Full fit Yacob partnership. They have not played together for over 2 months - we have been poor ever since.
Boing Boing